Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Re: Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Jim49;1109725 said:
violets, I had a 2008 E90, and last year it developed similar symptoms occurring as you described. It was a sort of low frequency rumble, when trying to accelerate from "steady speed of 80km/h 1500rpm, or 50-60km/h." The rumble would go away after accelerating through to higher speed.

PML had no idea what the trouble was. First they changed ignition coils to no effect. Then they updated/refreshed software(whatever that means) which also did not work. Last resort they suggested was change gearbox which I think would make them very happy - 10G; or change solenoid assembly or housing(both my words) which would make them a little happy.

So I went to Eurokars(I think) in AMK. I described the problem to the foreman there and he said straightaway that the transmission oil needed to be changed, although PML says the transmission oil is for life (believable?). A test drive replicating the low frequency vibration confirmed to the foreman the problem as he suspected earlier.

I have read in other forums of similar problems and the owners have solved it by changing trans oil or adding trans oil treatment or some additive.

So I would suggest changing your transmission oil, at least it is a cheaper attempt to solve the problem, instead of resorting to changing the gearbox.

Do let us know how you solve this issue.

Hi jim49, these few days I notice my e90 320ixl having some kinda sound as if plane taking off. The sound was quite mild/sofe but I could notice it. It only happen when I try to accelerate the car. It happens at speed of 40 > or while I try to step on my accelerator. Anyone have this problem/ issues. I don't have any warning light at all.

It sound like ....woo woo....

Any expert can advise

BMW-GK;1102291 said:
Nope.. no sprint booster.

I got WS to check with autologic today. It the clutch engagement timing, WS reset it to 0.. everything is OK now.

I want to ask, is this normal ? how come it will change ? becos of problem with clutch or what ?

Any advise ?
So this is the reason? I some times also feel this on my e90 320i. mostly occur when the car is still not fully warmed up. as I drive off the car jerks a bit as the gears change upwards. occurs at the low gear(not sure 2nd or 3rd gear as car is in D mode).

AhBengdriver have u change your transmission oil?? if not u can do that and also consider the solenoid change too. It solve my problem for the jerk when drives off at low gears

eddienike;1109696 said:
Is this happen especially when the first 10-15min of driving after long lay off (more than 4-5hrs)?
I have similar same problem.

Eddienike, mine happens randomly anytime when driving. Whether just started driving or after a while of driving... So not sure if same problem... :|

Hi Jim49, I have yet to send it in as i havent been driving the past week. I went thru some other forums and some had suggested resetting something that ur car learns when one is driving (to put the key in and press start WITHOUT foot on brake, then flooring accelerator for 30s). But didnt work for me, still happened when i drove today... :(
When the vibration happens, i let go of accelerator 1 sec and accelerate again it stops.

I just checked my receipt from PML, they just changed my solenoid valves for me.

Did u change ur transmission oil that time with Eurokars? how much did it cost? Also, I tried to check seems like there is no eurokars workshop?

The bumpiness feels like when driving a manual car, in gear 5 or 6 and driving at 50km/h. But mine is driving at 80km/h on highway so wonder how that can happen.

Jim49;1109725 said:
violets, I had a 2008 E90, and last year it developed similar symptoms occurring as you described. It was a sort of low frequency rumble, when trying to accelerate from "steady speed of 80km/h 1500rpm, or 50-60km/h." The rumble would go away after accelerating through to higher speed.

PML had no idea what the trouble was. First they changed ignition coils to no effect. Then they updated/refreshed software(whatever that means) which also did not work. Last resort they suggested was change gearbox which I think would make them very happy - 10G; or change solenoid assembly or housing(both my words) which would make them a little happy.

So I went to Eurokars(I think) in AMK. I described the problem to the foreman there and he said straightaway that the transmission oil needed to be changed, although PML says the transmission oil is for life (believable?). A test drive replicating the low frequency vibration confirmed to the foreman the problem as he suspected earlier.

I have read in other forums of similar problems and the owners have solved it by changing trans oil or adding trans oil treatment or some additive.

So I would suggest changing your transmission oil, at least it is a cheaper attempt to solve the problem, instead of resorting to changing the gearbox.

Do let us know how you solve this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Violets, mine happened after a ATF replacement in a workshop.
Went to Codewerx, they found out my ATF was overfilled. After drained and tests, my problem was solved.

If your solenoids have has replaced, probably AFT is replaced/refilled too.
May want to send to Codewerx for a detail check. Good luck:)

Please check your PM.

Do continue to update us.

violets;1110312 said:
Hi Jim49, I have yet to send it in as i havent been driving the past week. I went thru some other forums and some had suggested resetting something that ur car learns when one is driving (to put the key in and press start WITHOUT foot on brake, then flooring accelerator for 30s). But didnt work for me, still happened when i drove today... :(
When the vibration happens, i let go of accelerator 1 sec and accelerate again it stops.

I just checked my receipt from PML, they just changed my solenoid valves for me.

Did u change ur transmission oil that time with Eurokars? how much did it cost? Also, I tried to check seems like there is no eurokars workshop?

The bumpiness feels like when driving a manual car, in gear 5 or 6 and driving at 50km/h. But mine is driving at 80km/h on highway so wonder how that can happen.

Hi all,

Just an update, problem solved after sending car in to R2D. After going for a test drive, diagnosed with torque converter slip i think. Auto Trans Fluid replaced and added some additive as well. Was told my ATF that was drained was in bad condition and didnt seem original...

They are fantastic with troubleshooting. Just recommended a fren with some rear wheel noise problem and was immediately diagnosed as well.

Thanks all for your help and advice! :)

Jim49;1110386 said:
Please check your PM.

Do continue to update us.

IMG_3462.jpg

Where can this be purchased?

After changing solenoids, is coding required?

ctang;1113821 said:
After changing solenoids, is coding required?

Yes, just need to reset the calibration for the gear box

I just bought an 2006 323i.. being a total noob just buy nv think.

car came with lots of problem and this is 1 of them... sometimes my car will JERK damn hard when stopped. my car can be visibly seen bobbing up and down.. is this also a problem of the solenoid??

Yes the jerk is very likely this solenoid issue. Up and down will be the suspension.

Or a lousy set of tyres not balanced or aligned. Or worn tyre.

mervinpo;1116673 said:

car came with lots of problem and this is 1 of them... sometimes my car will JERK damn hard when stopped. my car can be visibly seen bobbing up and down.. is this also a problem of the solenoid??

High chance,
Please have the car checked at a BMW workshop

mervinpo;1116673 said:

wanna go workshop together? I need to do some checks on my car too

guys, want to check. I asked a local workshop cost for changing gearbox solenoid. They told me mileage 120k normally change solenoid plus valve body or something. Changing solenoid along won't work. Doesn't solve the slight jerk when stopping issue. Is it true that you need to change more than just solenoid?

I went for servicing and the jerk problem disappeared. Occurring very very rarely now... no idea why servicing fixed it for me...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubprof

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back