German Castrol and SAF-XO

Re: German Castrol and SAF-XO

I am using Mobil 5w-50 for my E92 325i. Not sure if I am using the correct rating. Any advice?

So far so good in terms of EO temp

Unless there an issue with oil pressure - 5w50 is heavy IMO.

Zak;1056279 said:
I am using Mobil 5w-50 for my E92 325i. Not sure if I am using the correct rating. Any advice?

So far so good in terms of EO temp

Singapore not listed but in looking at the region we are in .... It is definitely not on the low side. The higher the rank the lower the sulfur.

This is the reason why LL01 certified is preferred personally here.......

INTERNATIONAL GASOLINE RANKINGS – TOP 100 SULFUR

April 12, 2011 – The IFQC has ranked the top 100 countries based on sulfur limits in gasoline. The following countries were ranked based on the order of the following criteria: maximum allowable sulfur limits in national standards, sulfur limits in local/regional standards (such as specifications for cities/states) and by year of implementation.
Updates to these rankings will be conducted every six months. Members can refer to complete fuel specifications, including sulfur limits by country, in the Fuel Specifications sections of individual country reports. For more information on the IFQC's services or to get in touch with an IFQC expert in your region, or to send any comments, questions or concerns regarding this ranking, e-mail us at [email protected].

Rank
Country
Change

Germany
+0

Japan
+0

Austria
+0

Denmark
+0

Estonia
+0

Finland
+0

Hungary
+0

Sweden
+0

Albania
+0

Belgium
+0

Bulgaria
+0

Cyprus
+0

Czech Republic
+0

France
+0

Greece
+0

Iceland
+0

Ireland
+0

Israel
+0

Italy
+0

Latvia
+0

Liechtenstein
+0

Lithuania
+0

Luxembourg
+0

Malta
+0

Netherlands
+0

Norway
+0

Poland
+0

Portugal
+0

Romania
+0

Slovakia
+0

Slovenia
+0

South Korea
+0

Spain
+0

Switzerland
+0

United Kingdom
+0

Hong Kong
+3

Croatia
+21

Macedonia

Chile

#
California, U.S.

Armenia

Montenegro
+50

Taiwan

New Zealand

Turkey

#
Beijing, Shanghai & Guangzhou

Morocco

#
India, Select Cities

United States

Canada

United Arab Emirates

Ukraine

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Georgia
+2

Russia
+10

Australia

China

India

Belarus

Qatar

Colombia
+41

Suriname

Jordan

Paraguay

Kuwait

Moldova

Mexico

Tanzania
+1

Argentina

Egypt

Uganda

Azerbaijan

Bolivia

Congo

Thailand

Iraq

Cameroon

Côte D'Ivoire

Libya

Niger

Papua New Guinea

Indonesia

Mali

Philippines

Sierra Leone

South Africa

Trinidad & Tobago

Vietnam

Fiji

French Polynesia

Malaysia

Kazakhstan

Cape Verde
NEW

Uruguay

Panama

Serbia

Kyrgyzstan

Tajikistan

Uzbekistan

Sri Lanka

Turkmenistan

Venezuela

Ecuador

View attachment 57712

So can i say that BMW LL01 spec engine oil is better to use in singapore?

Hi brother, thank you for the info, have you try 0W/40? Thought for the hot ambient temp and turbo hot engine grade 40 maybe better.

In looking at the specs - the GC is one of the heaviest 30wt oil close to some 40wt .... The important thing for EO is whether it shears prematurely .....

lf37;1071924 said:
Hi brother, thank you for the info, have you try 0W/40? Thought for the hot ambient temp and turbo hot engine grade 40 maybe better.

I have 2 questions:
1. So far I ve been using 30weight EO on my 335 only bcos that's the recommended spec. Whereas I use 40wt on my 320 as 'recommended'. In fact 5w-40 is poured into my 320. Ok, so can I use 30wt EO like this GC 0w-30 on the 320 or is it too light an EO for that N46 engine?

2. I ve heard of people losing EO in new BMWs (so cannot be those valve seal issues). One chap I know uses EO from SPC which obviously is not of BMW LL01 or 04(well cant trust the PRCs) ! Ok so my question is - if you use a 'lousy EO', does the EO 'evaporate' over time and hence gives the impression that the EO is lost?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahbengdriver;1071962 said:
I have 2 questions:
1. So far I ve been using 30weight EO on my 335 only bcos that's the recommended spec. Whereas I use 40wt on my 320 as 'recommended'. In fact 5w-40 is poured into my 320. Ok, so can I use 30wt EO like this GC 0w-30 on the 320 or is it too light an EO for that N46 engine?

I've used the 0W30 GC EO on my 320 ('07, 150k KM) during the last service. Been running it for the past 4K and it feels fine.

Ahbengdriver;1071962 said:
I have 2 questions:

2. I ve heard of people losing EO in new BMWs (so cannot be those valve seal issues). One chap I know uses EO from SPC which obviously is not of BMW LL01 or 04(well cant trust the PRCs) ! Ok so my question is - if you use a 'lousy EO', does the EO 'evaporate' over time and hence gives the impression that the EO is lost?

I have been using GC 0w30 for quite some time now on my 320i e90, no oil loss at OCI of 8-10k.

You probably should be using a thicker oil for your 335i though since it's forced induction engine?

My oil level shows full even just before oil change so it doesn't burn at all.

First post here :D

Read through the entire thread. Decided to buy my own oil and bring it to pml.

First off, from the previous posts, I understand that EO with higher viscosity is recommended for forced induction engines while at the same time the engine would be better lubricated by EO with lower viscosity when cold starting which is usually when most of the shearing happens?

Mine is a 328i, so I'm not exactly sure which oil to pick.

Considering between GC w/titanum and GC w/syntec. Since mxtrading only carries 5w30 for GC w/titanium, would it be too thin for my engine? As for GC w/syntec they have 5w40 which is thicker.

Anyone tried royal purple? Read a PDF somewhere comparing premature shearing between various engine oil and royal purple was one of the top oils in that article. Can't seem to find it though.

Hopefully can get some advice from the pros lurking here.

Do not be confused. The 5w30 and 5w40 carried by MX trading are NOT GC.

GC is 0w30 and its a nick name given to this specific line of oil (no other castrol lines) because it was made in Germany and had an interesting API SL rating (full saps plus other additives) that never changed over time.

Castrol 5w30 or 5w40 is not the GC. Period.

The GC is also the only all synthetic castrol made from PAO and Esters. Even Mobil 0w40 has rumors flying around that its G3 hydrocracked.

All other castrol syntecs are not 100% synthetic.

Whether forced induction or NA engines, what you are looking for is not 30wt, 40wt or 50wt oil. What you need to look for is an oil that is shear stable at ~12.2 cst@100 with a good HTHS rating (> 3.5), a TBN of 11 and above with a high flash point.

This is because weights are only an indicator - a 30wt oil can have a cst@100 rating range from 10-13

See these 2 tables - Royal Purple and Castrol.

Look at the 5w30 oils of both table and them compare the cst@100 rating. GC is 20% thicker than the 2 other 5w30 (castrol and RP). And yet they are all 30wt.

If you pour the royal purple or castrol 5w30 into your engine because it is a 30wt - your engine will be noisier and will not get the right level of protection.

And why are we looking for an oil that is rated at 12.2 cst@100 - ask the BMW who designed the engines ...... And speced it that way. Applies to both NA and FI For both N & M series engines. Exceptions will be with the S series engines which runs with way thicker oils.

View attachment 59984

View attachment 59985

E60F30;1074532 said:

First off, from the previous posts, I understand that EO with higher viscosity is recommended for forced induction engines while at the same time the engine would be better lubricated by EO with lower viscosity when cold starting which is usually when most of the shearing happens?

Considering between GC w/titanum and GC w/syntec. Since mxtrading only carries 5w30 for GC w/titanium, would it be too thin for my engine? As for GC w/syntec they have 5w40 which is thicker.

Anyone tried royal purple? Read a PDF somewhere comparing premature shearing between various engine oil and royal purple was one of the top oils in that article. Can't seem to find it though.

Ok understood. Basically BMW engines are engineered such that they work best with EO's that are rated at 12.2 cst@100.

There is only 1 GC and it being the 0w-30 and its specifications fit our dear beemers best

Thanks for taking time out to post pic and explain. Much appreciated. :goodup:

E60F30;1074532 said:

And why must you go back to PML to do the oil change? Are they offering mei mei massage while waiting for the oil change to get done? If yes, pls share and I will be doing an oil change immediately

I want claim warranty ma. Rear reflector fell off. Right side mirror indicator spoil... Kns!

If got mei mei I confirm support even after warranty over... But pml like cmi leh...

Got workshop to rec? Preferably got mei mei one.

A ex-Castrol staff told me there should not be any difference between GC and Singapore C! :) performance wise they are identical. Key is to change oil regularly, like every 10000 km. today's engine with forced feed air runs hotter thus regular oil change. 0W-40 is better as Singapore ambient temp is also higher.

Can you check with the ex-castrol staff why the API rating and the specs are different ?

And which one is he/she comparing with ?

He is with Mobil now ? Haha!

lf37;1075335 said:
A ex-Castrol staff told me there should not be any difference between GC and Singapore C! :) performance wise they are identical. Key is to change oil regularly, like every 10000 km. today's engine with forced feed air runs hotter thus regular oil change. 0W-40 is better as Singapore ambient temp is also higher.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportooo

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back