German Castrol and SAF-XO

Re: German Castrol and SAF-XO

Sorry brother, been traveling, still away, will check with my friend. BTW he told me that technically there should not be difference between CGerman and CLocal. The base oil and additives are sourced with same specs.

lf37;1075335 said:
A ex-Castrol staff told me there should not be any difference between GC and Singapore C! :) performance wise they are identical. Key is to change oil regularly, like every 10000 km. today's engine with forced feed air runs hotter thus regular oil change. 0W-40 is better as Singapore ambient temp is also higher.

pls ask ex Castrol man why 0w-40 better for SG? I ve been hearing this so often, the frequency is as often as my choicest "F-word" that punctuates every sentence I speak.

Ahbengdriver;1078597 said:
pls ask ex Castrol man why 0w-40 better for SG? I ve been hearing this so often, the frequency is as often as my choicest "F-word" that punctuates every sentence I speak.

Actually it is not without sense. Older engine use thinner oil in hot climate will eat engine oil very fast, especially when longer distance like road trip.

Slow_poke_driver;1078622 said:
Actually it is not without sense. Older engine use thinner oil in hot climate will eat engine oil very fast, especially when longer distance like road trip.

I think this may not always be the case... i had a sixteen year old car running on 0w30 racing engine oil... it ran smooth and low temps... because the engine was clean (after 3 years of changing engine oils every 3k) and the seals were good. It all boils down to health...

Meek;1078629 said:
I think this may not always be the case... i had a sixteen year old car running on 0w30 racing engine oil... it ran smooth and low temps... because the engine was clean (after 3 years of changing engine oils every 3k) and the seals were good. It all boils down to health...

Your car is compatible with 30 weight oil loh.

My father got 1 lao pok air cool motocycle. 70+k km only. Oil change every 1000km. If use 30 weight oil will burn half the sump vol away in 1000km on long road trip. Drive around buy breakfast will maybe just eat a little with 30 weight. Use 50 weight diesel engine oil will not even eat oil on road trip.

Hi Red_Bean_Bun,
Fren ex-Castrol is not sure of your question. He said that specs of same product are same wherever they are produced.
API is American Petroleum standard and again there should be no diff?
I just bought Castrol Edge 5W/40 from Forklift Parts Enterprise at Upper Serangoon - promo on, 4L at $74 with 1L free. Manufactured in Malaysia, meet BMW LL-01. Just changed oil. Feel good.

Anyway, always read your post with great interest - bro Red_Bean_Bun, you are very much into engineering information. Respect.

Different specs ...... GC is API SL.

The ones here are SN etc

Which ride are you on ?

lf37;1079024 said:
Hi Red_Bean_Bun,
Fren ex-Castrol is not sure of your question. He said that specs of same product are same wherever they are produced.
API is American Petroleum standard and again there should be no diff?
I just bought Castrol Edge 5W/40 from Forklift Parts Enterprise at Upper Serangoon - promo on, 4L at $74 with 1L free. Manufactured in Malaysia, meet BMW LL-01. Just changed oil. Feel good.

The 5w40 is fine except its thicker - 14 vs 12.2 cst@100. Saw it on the 2013 bmw bulletin on EOs ..... I believe that EO checked off against the N55 engine ..... Along with the GC .......

Will have a look again when I can - for the fun of it .....

Just my 2 cents .....

lf37;1079735 said:
My ride is 335, 2012, one of first batch from Germany.

Actually I tried Liqui Moly Top Tec 5W/40 for 2 oil changes, not bad but not completely satisfied.
Got in touch with my ex-Castrol fren and he suggested I use local Castrol. I have good experience with my old BM, E60, E36, etc with Castrol so I'm back to Castrol now.
Will let you know my experience this time.
btw, Edge 0W/30 and 5W/30 is not BMW LL-01!
Red_Bean_Bun;1079758 said:
The 5w40 is fine except its thicker - 14 vs 12.2 cst@100. Saw it on the 2013 bmw bulletin on EOs ..... I believe that EO checked off against the N55 engine ..... Along with the GC .......

Will have a look again when I can - for the fun of it .....

Just my 2 cents .....

Not big on the local castrol EOs.......

I go with what meets specs. Not brand. Not weight. And not because it's found in Singapore........

For the same weight ..... Castrol has many variants ..... So it would be inaccurate to say 0w30 edge is not LL01.

lf37;1080148 said:
Actually I tried Liqui Moly Top Tec 5W/40 for 2 oil changes, not bad but not completely satisfied.
Got in touch with my ex-Castrol fren and he suggested I use local Castrol. I have good experience with my old BM, E60, E36, etc with Castrol so I'm back to Castrol now.
Will let you know my experience this time.

lf37;1080148 said:

Why not completely satisfied? I am using this on my F10 for the 1st time. Still don't know how good coz just changed only for about 300 km but so far ok

Liqui Moly gave me good smooth drive for up to 8000-9000 km then it became a little rough. Had to change before the recommended 12kkm. Now into 1000 km on Castrol, will let you know my experience.

I used local Castrol and found it rough after about 2k km n changed to Amsoil European Formula... smooth as silk.

Now 1st time trying LiquiMoly

The 0w30 that is being referenced is LL01 ......

Someone I know just broke the record after a long time - GC finally sheared after 14k km. This despite him redlining his ride everyday .......

lf37;1080148 said:

I need more GC. After 12 bottles, i still think it rawks.

With more cars tuned .... and more m5/m6 ...

Castrol edge 10-60 looks good ...

lf37;1079735 said:
My ride is 335, 2012, one of first batch from Germany.

Got tune boh ?

Got swap turbo boh ?

If not just use any oil can liao .... what is Long life ? what is your oil change intervals ? New car use 40 okie liao...
LL or not still waste of money ...

I am on 40 for 3 years ... open engine swee swee one...

I am going to try 10-60 since all m car on those ... Also these Castrol edge 10-60 is no BMW LL type ...

I read this thread and hear u all mentioned about engine temp.May I know what model u driving? I m driving e90 320, we can't see the engine temp rite?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportooo

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back