Help! Whistling noise from E90

Re: Help! Whistling noise from E90

:helpp!:Bros and Sis out there.

was this problem solved...the whistling sound.....i have it on my ride E90 320i 2006....tried driving with the windows down a week back...and noticed it....when Accelerated it get louder....just like mentioned in the treads...above 40km/h...and builds up from there....but with the windows up can't really hear it that well.....should i live with it (even if it is bugging me) or is there a solution for this out there.

Thanks.:sickinbe:

So far any solution to this problem yet? Cos recently got myself a 4yrs old e90 and had been noticing that this noise that is irritating me too... So i was hoping for some suggestions or solution from the rest of the bros here..

Petmail;614614 said:
So far any solution to this problem yet? Cos recently got myself a 4yrs old e90 and had been noticing that this noise that is irritating me too... So i was hoping for some suggestions or solution from the rest of the bros here..

my 06' e90 went down to rod yesterday to check on a error code. turn out to be steering column sensor faulty... ok, thats besides the point.

while rod was testing my ride he pointed out a sound that amplifies when u accerlarate.
not sure if it is the same sound u guys are experiencing too...

he told me its the rear differential... damage if you send to PML is near 3k....

:ultrasho: think i will live with the sound....

Yes... That's the sound... It goes slightly louder when u accelerate.. Is there any problems if we dun get it done?

Racebred;67202 said:
does it come on when you're throttling in, and goes off when you throttle off?

without listening to the sound itself, i hazard there could also be a possibility that the sound comes from your rear differential. If a brand new rear diff is not run-in properly, the contact between the gears could have some give, and it is this tolerance between the gears which are not properly run-in which give off the noise at high speed. It sounds like a high pitched harmonics, pretty much like a whistling sound.

it *may* get slightly better with more run-in, but at 3 months i think it's pretty much like that already. If it's really the rear diff, either you invest in a better sound system, or you swap for another rear diff. Try not to do any hard launches when the rear diff is new. run it in properly.

+1 - could be rear differentials .............

Casa;614968 said:
my 06' e90 went down to rod yesterday to check on a error code. turn out to be steering column sensor faulty... ok, thats besides the point.

while rod was testing my ride he pointed out a sound that amplifies when u accerlarate.
not sure if it is the same sound u guys are experiencing too...

he told me its the rear differential... damage if you send to PML is near 3k....

:ultrasho: think i will live with the sound....

Changing the differential fluid might help.......

Petmail;615008 said:
Okie... Can u give me his contacts? Thanks a million in advance!

rod told me to get it done at PML. it will be cheaper as Eng Soon do not keep stock for it (i called and confirmed) if they were to indent it, the cost of freight will add up to the labor u going to pay at PML.

Not forgeting the indent lead time u need to wait... but still good to let Rod go thru the sound i guess?

R2D
51 Bukit Batok Crescent
#02-18, Unity Centre
S(658077)
Tel 63163283 or 96651761 By Appointment Only

Petmail;614995 said:
Meaning? And how should we go abt doing it?

Sounds like the rear differential to me.
Mine ride had same problem when it was less than 1 years bought new from PML.
They replaced it with a set of "used rear-differential unit" :shock: and problem went away.
Why 'used' unit even though the car was new under warranty? They said they have the right to do so :argue:....

Iceberg;615608 said:
Sounds like the rear differential to me.
Mine ride had same problem when it was less than 1 years bought new from PML.
They replaced it with a set of "used rear-differential unit" :shock: and problem went away.
Why 'used' unit even though the car was new under warranty? They said they have the right to do so :argue:....
Hi All,

Hence can it be concluded that this noise is coming from the rear-differential unit, and replacing it will solve the issue. Please advice.

Thanks.

For my case, the whislting sound is always there but quite loud ard 70-80km/h and also under braking, sent to PML for check and confirmed it's the rear differential. Tester said something abt the final drive differential. Will need to change but must get BMW Asia approval to order parts. Mine is only a 4mth old E90.

avenue;638199 said:
For my case, the whislting sound is always there but quite loud ard 70-80km/h and also under braking, sent to PML for check and confirmed it's the rear differential. Tester said something abt the final drive differential. Will need to change but must get BMW Asia approval to order parts. Mine is only a 4mth old E90.
Hi Avenue,

Thanks. pls update once the rectification is done and the problem solved.

Thanks.

On my E46 M3, BMW has a Fiction Modifier diff oil to solve the problem. Took about 1 week for the FM oil to run in and sound dissipated.

However if its a mechanical problem with the rear diff, no amount of FM oil will mask problem.

You could also go to a huge empty carpark and drive in Figure of 8 ( parking lot speed) because if its the rear diff, this should make the noise more pronounced.

At speed on expressway, you're looking for a sound that is similar to a Dogbox.

If so, its most likely the rear diff.

avenue;638199 said:

Got the car fixed liao. No sound and now smooth as silk...as it shld be...

Hi,

Had just replace the differential oil today and the whistling sound actually reduce quite a fair bit. Those who have this issue might want to have the oil change.
I uses Mobil Full Syth 75w90, you might want to try Motul 80w90 which is slight thicker to absurd the sound further but is not full Syth and drive might feel a little bit slag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derrrick Yap;656493 said:
Hi,

Had just replace the differential oil today and the whistling sound actually reduce quite a fair bit. Those who have this issue might want to have the oil change.
I uses Mobil Full Syth 75w90, you might want to try Motul 80w90 which is slight thicker to absurd the sound further but is not full Syth and drive might feel a little bit slag.

bro, where to change the oil u recommended?

hi,
speaking about noise reduction, just wondering if your car hood has an under-hood cover?
Will that help in reducing engine noise?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwinltd
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back