How good K&N air filter??

Re: How good K&N air filter??

Stock paper filter actually works very well at filtering the dirt. in fact it probably filters the air as well :)
if you dont feel like having a more torquey in the higher revs the stock filter is actually pretty good.
just change it often.

IMHO, stock air filter is still the best but it gets dirty really fast compared to after market ones. Have to change filter often.

As for which is the best filter, I still like K&N the best but I am using hurricane now.

If it gets dirty it is doing its intended job very well imho . I checked the air filter after almost 1 year and 4months ,it is stock and so far it is still good.

yep stock air filter is actually good. just that it allow very little air through as well, and once it is slightly dirty, it chokes up and there is no air flowing.

although K&N is able to pass more air compare to stock air filter, however, is there "more than enough air" in the stock airbox to be passed ?
the weakest link is the stock airbox that has a limitation for incomnig air. hence, any type of performance drop in air filter is not able to produce any gain not due to the filter but due to lack of incoming air through the stock air box.

am i right ?

Makes sense so get an air scoop to channel more air into the airbox instead of letting the engine suck air in.

Did my air scoop mod and I must say it did help make the car more active to acceleration.

wt_know;437338 said:
although K&N is able to pass more air compare to stock air filter, however, is there "more than enough air" in the stock airbox to be passed ?
the weakest link is the stock airbox that has a limitation for incomnig air. hence, any type of performance drop in air filter is not able to produce any gain not due to the filter but due to lack of incoming air through the stock air box.

am i right ?

i will also do the air scoop. the big question now is after the air scoop, should i continue to use the stock air filter or K&N drop in. based on e90post discussion & dyno, stock air filter works equally good if not better than any performance drop in filter in stock airbox.

pengful;437410 said:
Makes sense so get an air scoop to channel more air into the airbox instead of letting the engine suck air in.

Did my air scoop mod and I must say it did help make the car more active to acceleration.

wt_know;437416 said:
i will also do the air scoop. the big question now is after the air scoop, should i continue to use the stock air filter or K&N drop in. based on e90post discussion & dyno, stock air filter works equally good if not better than any performance drop in filter in stock airbox.

get a after market filter like KandN or Hurricane. otherwise you put new scoops in also no use as the stock filter can only move so many CUft of air/min

i wonder how many CUft of air/min could pass through the stock airbox that it exceeds the CUft of air/min of the stock air filter as the whole airbox and air filter was designed by BMW R&D

anyway, i will most likely get the K&N filter after installing the scoop hoping both will compliment each other for optimum performance.

tlkchew;437431 said:
get a after market filter like KandN or Hurricane. otherwise you put new scoops in also no use as the stock filter can only move so many CUft of air/min

wt_know;437338 said:

am i right ?

even if stock air box does not have enough air, the filter will be able to "Suck" more air from the intake snorkel. so more air still passes through the filter.

dont hesitate anymore :) change the stock filter, unless you feel that your engine will breakdown anytime soon, as PML may void warranty for using after market filters

:cool:

wt_know;437434 said:
i wonder how many CUft of air/min pass through the stock airbox and whether it exceeds the CUft of air/min of the stock air filter as the whole airbox and air filter was designed by BMW R&D

pretty sure there is more air taken in then stock filter!
I am predicting your next question, here... "then why not put in a open pod filter ?" alot more air..

in this case, there would be too much air if you do not have other parts moded. like the Fuel pressure, exhaust... you cant just have intake without openning up the exhaust.

hope this helps! :) so which filter you getting? hurricane or K&N? i personally would go for hurricane. coz its zero maintenance and found to be reliable and have not seen any failure of the MAF , but hurricane does not have for my car :( :twisted:
So sticking with K&N and have not regretted.
Some users of k&N filters over oil after they wash their filter causing dust particles that "un-sticks" from the filter to stick to the MAF sensor.

but its a simple fix to clean it by the mech.

cheers!

ok. no more hesitation, :laughing: K&N drop in is the way to go.

I just got my K&N from Mcwell Ubi. It should be better than the stock filter which is always dirty. Still trying it out. =)

Doesnt that sleeve add extra restriction to the airflow? I would remove the sleeve altogether, even with the stock filter.

i guess when you purchase a new stock filter, it should come with the sleeve.

I am not sure what you mean by "that answer "how good is K&N filter" but its damn good! :)

tlkchew;449587 said:
Doesnt that sleeve add extra restriction to the airflow? I would remove the sleeve altogether, even with the stock filter.

i guess when you purchase a new stock filter, it should come with the sleeve.

I am not sure what you mean by "that answer "how good is K&N filter" but its damn good! :)

ok. change air filter means a new sleeve which comes together.

i'm sceptical that after market drop in is "a lot" better than oem filter because the bottle neck is how much air get into the airbox especially for 320 since there is only 1 air funnel (the other one is dummy).

now seeing the sleeve that cover the whole oem air filter, that answer how good k&n filter is (hurricane will be even better) :D

Filtration quality is dependent on the following:-
#1 removal rating? e.g. 5um at 99+% efficiency?
#2 surface area of filtration media?
#3 resistance of flow? differential pressure

Good filter are meant to choke (plug up), if it doesn't choke... either the environment is very clean or the filter media removal rating is bigger. E.G. OEM rating let say is 5um at 90% eff. it maybe 10 or 20um rating.

To have lower restriction of flow without compromising contaminant removal, you need to increase surface area of filtration media. Oil in my opinion is not require in the filtration media, brownian motion of small particle will help adhere the particle to the fiber.

Just my 2 cent to consider if you are looking into upgrading.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
for88today

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back