iPod

powertorque

Got my iPod hooked up to my car's sound system yesterday. From the threads I read, I gathered there are a number of bimmer owners who are interested in connecting their iPods. Here are some pics I took.

I found only one place suitable for mounting the iPod but as you can see from the picture, the iPod cannot be seen from the driver's seat. Bit of compromise I had to make. At least it's within easy reach; just had to control myself from fiddling with it while driving. can be addictive....

You can also see from the first photo that my stop-gap solution of using the cassette to link up my iPod is now relegated to the front door pocket. When inserted into the head unit, that thing has a long white wire dangling out to the iPod, totally uncool when driving topless....heh

P.S. - I have a pre-amp and amps installed in the car.....I didn't go the iPod-BMW route....song selection and volume controls still done on the iPod, not from the original BMW head unit. See post #13 in this thread for details....

Re: iPod

WAW SO NICE!!!
I AWSO WANT!!!!
Sure beats having long white noodlewires running all over the place!
I cant wait to chuck my erratic AirPlay FM transmitter after I do what u did!

rebture said:
WAW SO NICE!!!
I AWSO WANT!!!!
Sure beats having long white noodlewires running all over the place!
I cant wait to chuck my erratic AirPlay FM transmitter after I do what u did!

Eh hallo - have you done your woofers or not?

Heh, doing really soon....like tomoro....serious.....been busy and also scared of taking that BOLD step.

Yah rite. Wake me up when it happens :p

Where got bold. Let me poison you again. I got some nice demo tracks for upfront in-yer-face bass!

May I ask how is the line connected to?
Pre-amp?
How much is the installation?

btw: I attached my friend's setup in his Mazda3
His is connected to his pre-amp.

powertorque said:
Got my iPod hooked up to my car's sound system yesterday. From the threads I read, I gathered there are a number of bimmer owners who are interested in connecting their iPods. Here are some pics I took.

I found only one place suitable for mounting the iPod but as you can see from the picture, the iPod cannot be seen from the driver's seat. Bit of compromise I had to make. At least it's within easy reach; just had to control myself from fiddling with it while driving. can be addictive....

You can also see from the first photo that my stop-gap solution of using the cassette to link up my iPod is now relegated to the front door pocket. When inserted into the head unit, that thing has a long white wire dangling out to the iPod, totally uncool when driving topless....heh

I got it done on Monday with Thomas, finally. Dont ask me abt the config. Powertorque will know better, I havent a clue. Just sounds v shiok now.....heh.....

rebture said:
I got it done on Monday with Thomas, finally. Dont ask me abt the config. Powertorque will know better, I havent a clue. Just sounds v shiok now.....heh.....

Care to share your setup at this sunday's meetup @ Kallang Mac? :helpp!:

quiksilver said:
Care to share your setup at this sunday's meetup @ Kallang Mac? :helpp!:
Bro, this Sunday is meetup meh?? Your calendar correct or not? :slaphead:

quiksilver said:
paiseh, I mean next sunday, after the farm drive rite? kekeke! :yummie: :yummie: :yummie:
Can't wait to get to the animal farm huh?

megaclaw said:
May I ask how is the line connected to?
Pre-amp?
How much is the installation?

btw: I attached my friend's setup in his Mazda3
His is connected to his pre-amp.

Yeah, I didn't mention the details about my setup.

I did a brief writeup in the forum some time ago when I first installed my system
http://bmw-sg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3372&page=5&pp=10

Anyway, i've got a preamp and two amps installed. One amp to drive front spkers and another amp for the subwoofer. The iPod is connected directly to the preamp. Have a selector switch to select between sources - either the BMW HU which has the radio, tape and CD changer OR the iPod.

The sound from my iPod a bit "sharp". Hoping to get the treble reduced. Can't adjust the preamp cos that will affect the sound from the CD. Any suggestion anyone?

Thanks for showing the picture of your friend's iPod setup. Looks great. Am sure he's having a good time.

Cheers

saifywaify said:
hey guys, do you know if it's possible to hardwire the ipod to a 7 series system?

hi there.. i noe PML can do it.. give them a call to comfirm again tho ya??.. gd luck

Shaaz.

I dont see why not. I got my iPod hardwired to my 3-series cabrio by Hong Guan ( bt batok). They did a marvellous job. U should call them up to ask for more info - 6469-6775

hi,

i'm asking because i'm afraid there may be complications due to the idrive system. for example, if you were to check out www.ipodyourbmw.com, the 7er isn't listed.

if i can't get an official job done by pml, i'm not willing to risk my warranty by messing with the system outside. my car hasn't exactly been running perfectly. sigh.

anyway, thanks for the great info!

cheers,
saify

Oooo, maybe the 7-series owner is typically profiled as properous, mature, stately, etc. & hence not quite the target iPod customer? Ooops.

Well, keep us all posted what eventaully happens. Good luck!

my z also does not work with the ipod cable... but i got pml to install an aux jackconnector in the glove box... works fine now... low tech but effective! :)

Hey Geoff how does it sound with the aux jack? Might choose the same low tech method also.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclub777

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back