MAS Imposes Financing Restrictions on Motor Vehicle Loans

Re: MAS Imposes Financing Restrictions on Motor Vehicle Loans

i am not hopeful that the new car will last beyond 10 years...
i think 8 years also got problem.. so much electronics...
put it this way how long you use your last laptop?

Hi bro so u mean the OMV issue applies for 2nd hand car also?!

lets say I get a 2nd Hand LEXUS IS250.

OMV: $38000

I must pay 50% cash ah???

and say the car 2009. 3 +yrs old

the loan capped at 5 yrs?

OK, I don't think the new ARF progressive tax will apply to second hand cars, but the financing & the cash upfront part (50% cash) will - hope that clarifies.

naan1974;960882 said:
Second car cannot take loan. Cm2 confirm, chop and endose

Hang on, please link the source of that statement you made....

MW;960489 said:
Singapore will never go into recession.

Like many here have said... 7 rounds of property cooling measures yet property prices still booming.

Then u hear people complaining abt 7 cents increase in bus fares but next moment Sg Expo packed with people snapping up NATAS travel fair deals...

No wonder gahment says we are all a bunch of "noisy" people.

But heng ahh, I got my car liao...

MW, you say 3x henh ahh, you got your car liao. Huat ahh.lol

Yah man, Heng ahh..got my car liao!

Oilman;960834 said:
That data won't be meaningful. Just because someone's car didn't get repo-ed doesn't prove he's prudent with his money.

Exactly, MAS used prudence as an excuse to implement financial restriction. Can MAS show data that percentage of Singaporeans default their medical bills before they implement compulsory Medisave with it portion out from Ordinary Account? Same stories with prudence so that you can pay medical bills.

This garmen, got reason can already. No need the substantiate with the figures and problem finding. One message they telling us with this financial restriction is that they do not want you to own cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

your FT friend came here willingly? if so ask him don't complain.. he came here own free choice... don't like can always go somewhere else...

sandman369;960915 said:
My FT friend called Singapore a dictatorship

wobbles;960890 said:
OK, I don't think the new ARF progressive tax will apply to second hand cars, but the financing & the cash upfront part (50% cash) will - hope that clarifies.

During the good old days of max 70% 7 years loan, second hand car dealers were very creative to circumvent the min 30% downpayment.

They must be very happy with the recent change.

porky88;960916 said:
your FT friend came here willingly? if so ask him don't complain.. he came here own free choice... don't like can always go somewhere else...

Huh? He wasn't complaining. Don't assume. He just said SG govt implements rules with little check n balance, and he's right.

Where did that come from? Goodness....

sandman369;960918 said:
Huh? He wasn't complaining. Don't assume. He just said SG govt implements rules with little check n balance, and he's right.

Where did that come from? Goodness....

how he or you know sg garmen implements rules with little check n balance? i do not agree.....

detach8;960316 said:
Call me shallow, but I really think so. The world is not as complicated as it seems. As long as there is no leverage, prices of things would be so much cheaper.

Imagine if you had to pay full cash for a house. Will we still have $800K HDBs?

The government is set to reduce the price of COE -- not to the 2008 levels, but to maybe 2010-2011 levels, around S$30-60K. For once, I think this measure is positive.

I'm sure they saw the high number of to-be-scrapped cars coming in 2015/2016. When COE prices drop, this will make people rethink whether to scrap and buy new or renew COE. If I had to down 50K for a new car + take a loan, or just pay 50K to renew COE, which would I choose? It is quite smart, IMHO. I give this credit to the policy maker.

If people really end up renewing COE it has BOTH an environmentally positive effect (cars are driven longer and less wastage) and also a net gain on tax profits, i.e. they don't have to refund you the 50% ARF. Also boosts used car market so it makes people want to own used car more. With that I would like to see them tightening the regulation for used cars.

The government will make part of that additional revenue back from the increase in ARF since the cash rich can still afford to pay a lump sum cash. Those blokes buying Ferraris pay a lot of money in ARF!

Even riches like our uncle wobbles won't plonk such amounts of cold hard sweaty cash on a car. What makes you think a lot of other rich people will?

Now, let's shift our attention back to the property market...

How do you think the magical numbers of 140% and 180% of wat 30k OMV and 50k OMV came about? Pluck from the sky to help Reduce Coe so that they can get a big hit on revenue when economy not doing so well and then on the other hand, still give tax rebates etc?

This measure is definitely positive to encourage prudence in car purchase and prevent spiraling debts and possible bad debts in SG banks.

But to help reduce Coe, garmen dun really have to increase ARF? Just implement cash layout of 70% and max 30% loan over 3 years, I think many more will be deterred to buy car.

Renewing Coe will also not mean that new Coe quota will not be fully taken up. Then where is the environmental positive effect? U are forgetting the population increase here.

At the end of the day, all these numbers are worked out based on current situation and forecasted increase in population. Wat level will COE drop to before people have the appetite to buy again is really dependent on the individual but it will not drop to 20k before market start responding.

And if you attempt to compare with housing market, then it's way off the equation. Both the cost and the financing tools as well as the market dynamics are so different between these two markets.

U have our own opinion, and I have mine. And I am not interested if u would agree.

For the record, I like the 5 year 50% loan rule and find the tiered ARF senseless.

sandman369;960924 said:
U have our own opinion, and I have mine. And I am not interested if u would agree.

For the record, I like the 5 year 50% loan rule and find the tiered ARF senseless.

Chill bro. Forum chat don't take it so personally.

omg!!
what happened ?
you sound like PAP talking....

sandman369;960924 said:

FT not suppose to talk about sg politics, wait kena blacklisted and deported back to kampong.
sg politics for citizens only.

sandman369;960915 said:
My FT friend called Singapore a dictatorship

I'm afraid we live in a take-it-or-leave-it society. The leaders say car loans are too high, we LL. Leaders say MRT is all you can afford, we suck thumb and tap Easylink.

You voted them in, so its your responsibility to deal with it. Don't like, don't vote them in next round. No need to keep whining when you knew from the start how they do things. Implement first, explain later. 50 years of this already. They do it cos they know they can get away with it. They do it cos deep down they know we can't do sh*t to them.

And that's it. End of story. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubgamee
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back