MCE expressway chaotic

Re: MEC expressway chaotic

Still ok around that time. 4 a.m. onwards there's ERP.

Super looonnnggggg jam this morning around 10.30am on MCE, coming from AYE and trying to exit ECP (left exit). Looks like only 2 lanes into ECP exit in the MCE tunnel and the queue already started way before the tunnel with lots of container trucks. Traffic to KPE (rightmost 3 lanes) smooth though, but some cars doing last minute filter into leftmost 2 lanes to go to ECP.

Road changes confuse motorists as MCE opens - xinmsn News

SINGAPORE: Despite signs being put up and traffic wardens hitting the road to give directions, the changes to roads leading to the Marina Coastal Expressway (MCE) still befuddled some motorists, causing brief bottlenecks on Sunday, when the Republic’s newest highway opened to traffic.

TODAY observed that motorists seemed to be confused by road work to downgrade a section of the East Coast Parkway (ECP) at the end of the Ayer-Rajah Expressway (AYE). Others appeared unsure about when to keep left to access each of the exits in the underground MCE.

The 5km, S$4.3 billion MCE joins the ECP, Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) and AYE.
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) acknowledged that traffic was slow along Central Boulevard and Marina Boulevard “as some motorists may not be entirely familiar with how to enter the MCE”, but it said there was “smooth-flowing traffic within the MCE tunnel” otherwise.

“As with all changes to the road network, motorists may take some time to be familiar with the changes,” said a spokesperson.

Indeed, some taxi drivers said they chose to take alternative roads rather than the MCE on Sunday, after hearing reports on the radio about traffic jams.

Comfort taxi-driver Chin C K, 70, who drove a passenger through Chinatown to get to Resorts World Sentosa, instead of taking the highway, said: “I’m not familiar with the MCE yet.”

Another cabby, Mr Robert Png, 53, said he took a few wrong turns when he was driving a tourist to the Gardens by the Bay via the highway.

“I expect motorists, even us cabbies, will take some time to get used to the MCE and the new routes, especially since a part of the ECP will be gone,” he said. “The Marina area is still developing, with many new, similar-sounding road names like Central Boulevard, Marina Boulevard and Marina Coastal Drive - it’s difficult to remember all at one go.”

Another motorist, Ms Selina, 46, was not aware of the opening of t

he MCE and took the route by accident to the Kallang area.

“Although the signage was clear, it was obvious that other drivers were unsure of where they had to go exactly, especially at the exit towards Fort Road - there were quite a few cars weaving in and out of traffic,” she said.

Despite the opening-day hiccups, some motorists said such teething problems were understandable for a new expressway. They also pointed out that the MCE shaves travelling time off some routes.

For example, Mr Chin said the MCE made for a smoother drive as compared to the now-closed stretch of the ECP, which he felt had heavier traffic and more bends. Residents in Sengkang or Hougang will also be able to reach the city more quickly travelling by the KPE, then the MCE. “It’s a more direct way for them,” he said.

A taxi driver who took a passenger from Toa Payoh to Resorts World Sentosa via the MCE said the journey was shorter by about 10 minutes.

Some motorists, however, are already missing the closed stretch of the ECP - because of the view of the city skyline. Said Ms Roslynda, 40: “It’s a very scenic drive, during which you can see the Singapore Flyer, Gardens by the Bay and Marina Bay Sands, but now, all we’ll see is a tunnel. I’ll miss that view.”

this is so true ... i took this route whenever i got overseas friends and relatives visits
now i lost my bragging rights liao .... :shoot:

Some motorists, however, are already missing the closed stretch of the ECP - because of the view of the city skyline. Said Ms Roslynda, 40: “It’s a very scenic drive, during which you can see the Singapore Flyer, Gardens by the Bay and Marina Bay Sands, but now, all we’ll see is a tunnel. I’ll miss that view.”

It'll be a while before this is sorted... they're barely ready with the rest of Central Boulevard.
View attachment 58153

In other news, I heard workers are hacking away at dividers now to create an extra lane wahaha.

Anyone going to that empty stretch of ECP later for drag race?

wt_know;1059486 said:
this stretch is still accessible in the future?

Nah, it's closed and will be dismantled so that they can have bigger plots of land to sell.

Meantime, four accidents so far and a $74 cab fare from Bishan!
VAGSG

2013 so full of epic fails. They just had to squeeze one more in.

Re: MCE expressway chaotic

MCE opening: Avoid using the expressway if you are heading east during the evening peak

MCE opening: Avoid using the expressway if you are heading east during the evening peak

By Christopher Tan

The newly-opened Marina Coastal Expressway's acronym may well stand for "Messy Confusing Expressway".

On the first work day since the $4.3 billion undersea highway opened on Sunday, motorists found themselves caught in traffic snarls of a scale uncommon in Singapore.

Tweets and Facebook posts flew fast and furious, with one taxi commuter complaining that she had to fork out $60 in fare because of the jam - for a journey that usually cost her $16.

When The Straits Times checked during lunch time Monday, traffic flow was smooth in the north-south stretch, where the MCE joins the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE).

But there were obvious problem areas where it joined the East Coast Parkway (ECP) and Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE).

Motorists on the ECP heading for the AYE have to negotiate a sharp left to enter the MCE. This caused many to apply their brakes or slow down, causing a minor queue to form there.

Traffic signs at the entrance may have contributed to the problem. A sign above one lane read "MCE to AYE", while the another in the adjacent lane read "MCE to Central Boulevard". This caused more weaving and braking.

Eastbound, traffic slowed to a trickle at the Fort Road exit. Most of the vehicles in the MCE in this section seem headed for the exit, which has only two lanes (out of the total five).

Further up the exit, a third lane forms that leads to Fort Road, which had a queue stretching all the way into the tunnel. The tailback affected traffic flow on the other lanes leading to Changi.

Clearly inadequate in coping with the noon-time traffic volume, the exit caused a jam that spread to lanes leading to the KPE.

Motorists heading for the ECP via the MCE after work this evening should brace themselves for a repeat of Monday morning's saga. They may want to find alternatives (such as the Pan-Island Expressway), or

The newly-opened Marina Coastal Expressway's acronym may well stand for "Messy Confusing Expressway".

On the first work day since the $4.3 billion undersea highway opened on Sunday, motorists found themselves caught in traffic snarls of a scale uncommon in Singapore.

Tweets and Facebook posts flew fast and furious, with one taxi commuter complaining that she had to fork out $60 in fare because of the jam - for a journey that usually cost her $16.

When The Straits Times checked during lunch time Monday, traffic flow was smooth in the north-south stretch, where the MCE joins the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE).

But there were obvious problem areas where it joined the East Coast Parkway (ECP) and Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE).

Motorists on the ECP heading for the AYE have to negotiate a sharp left to enter the MCE. This caused many to apply their brakes or slow down, causing a minor queue to form there.

Traffic signs at the entrance may have contributed to the problem. A sign above one lane read "MCE to AYE", while the another in the adjacent lane read "MCE to Central Boulevard". This caused more weaving and braking.

Eastbound, traffic slowed to a trickle at the Fort Road exit. Most of the vehicles in the MCE in this section seem headed for the exit, which has only two lanes (out of the total five).

Further up the exit, a third lane forms that leads to Fort Road, which had a queue stretching all the way into the tunnel. The tailback affected traffic flow on the other lanes leading to Changi.

Clearly inadequate in coping with the noon-time traffic volume, the exit caused a jam that spread to lanes leading to the KPE.

Motorists heading for the ECP via the MCE after work this evening should brace themselves for a repeat of Monday morning's saga. They may want to find alternatives (such as the Pan-Island Expressway), or travel later.

funny lo.. open "new" expressway ask pple not to use..

anyway.. MCE is new but not NEW as it replace the existing ECP/AYE stretch..

so now LTA create this madness and I predict they will solve it with their super ERP solution..

So.... the stretch that was removed - which had 4/5 lanes that linked AYE to Benjamin Sheares Bridege - now only has two lanes in MCE serving that purpose?

Damn smart leh. Who design one?

C3P0;1059542 said:
Damn smart leh. Who design one?

Some well paid top scholar I guessed.

ody_2004;1059535 said:
funny lo.. open "new" expressway ask pple not to use..

anyway.. MCE is new but not NEW as it replace the existing ECP/AYE stretch..

so now LTA create this madness and I predict they will solve it with their super ERP solution..

should closed it...........

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

I dunno why they must rush to open something that is not ready....and 6.30 ch8 news quiet quiet on the chaos today.

Could be those who cocked it up didn't vote PAP...

MW;1059558 said:
I dunno why they must rush to open something that is not ready....and 6.30 ch8 news quiet quiet on the chaos today.

News is controlled mah.. paiseh to show such mess la..

2 weeks later or 2 months later with HIGH ERP charges they will show how SUCCESSFUL MCE is,,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tk88directory
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back