My Coding / Diagnostic happenings ..........

Re: My Coding / Diagnostic happenings ..........

Recently a bro started told us their engine oil level was suddenly kind of low. Like it drops to minimum or one level down just after a short distance like a few hundred KMs.

Since i had my new found toys (yeah - i finally had access to hoists), hoisted the ride and had a good look at the under carriage.

First thing we saw that was rsther obvious - huge oil patches all around the oil drain plug cover. So i removed the cover and low and behold WARM engine oil dripping from the plug. Thinking that we ought that unscrew the drain plug - we reached for the ratchet and the 17 socket and started unscrewing the thing.

It turned out we don't really need to do that becuase we could use our fingers to unscrew it. Yes - it has happened - thie drain plug was over tightened previously and the bolt threads were stripped. This is where I would say that when it comes to drain plugs - no more than 25 nm of torque please.

So here's how it looked after the oil gushed out .......

Notice how far the oil was spurting .....

View attachment 64546

Check out the threads ......

View attachment 64547

At this point if we do not find a solution - there is no way he is going home with the ride.

This is where old school NTC stuff comes in - tool and die.

Idea is to rethread. But the issue with that approach is that it will likely make the hole bigger and thus a bigger bolt
Is not going to fly.

So we decided to use the good ole helicon. Bore through the exiting hole and make it bigger. Then insert that springy stuff inside the hole after tapping. Reminds me of a hemmorrhoid insert treatment ....

View attachment 64548

Then we noticed another thing - the bolt looks like something from a merc .... Pariah looking. So not only was it overtightened .... It was also cannabalized from a Here's what we got from ES next door to replace it ....

View attachment 64549

Screwed that in ..... Torqued it to 25 nm.

View attachment 64545

Can't imagine changing the oil sump cover just for that hole but at least a solution was engineered to get around that ....

So all is well again untill we saw oil dripping out of the intersection between the engine and gear box ......

TBC .........

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e2betvnmobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back