My Coding / Diagnostic happenings ..........

Re: My Coding / Diagnostic happenings ..........

Sent you an SMS.

Cochran;1060286 said:
Hi

The jerk u all talking about is not the gearbox issue on the jerk before stop?

To come to it. I did my gearbox solenoid renewal. Everytime when brake to stop. the car will still have a very very slight jerk then stop. I thought is the brake pad and disc come to a complete stop and that caused the very very slight jerk. Not like a Jap car that have a smooth stop.

Mmm...

For those with engines that makes use direct fuel injection - there's a lot of benefits. 2 major ones are increased fuel efficiencies and power output. For turbo applications, air is compressed and couple this with pressurized fuel squirted in the combustion chamber makes a hack of a lot more power then trying to mix air and petrol before getting it sucked into the chamber. It burns a lot cleaner as well and that is where he efficiency is coming from.

But there are issues - the "old" way of mixing air and petrol means that petrol would be in contact with the back of the intake valves and this help reduce the build up of carbon. Being that direct injection engines don't do this - coupled with the German fixation on emmissions - carbon buildup is eminent.

Here's an illustration of the difference -

View attachment 58222

The thing is that to reduce emmissions (pollution) caused by cars - engineers designed the ride in such a way that if there is a possibility to recycle the toxic gases that is created by the combustion processes they would. So blow-by gases that escapes the piston rings (remember about the pressurized air and petrol) when combustion happens. These gases would be sucked out via the vacuum from the top of the engine back to the intake manifold in an attempt to burnt it off in the combustion chamber - in other words the blow by gases gets into the combustion chambers as well. Other than the blow by gases - it turns out that engine oil would also seep through the piston rings - amount varies depending on the state of the rings and it get vaporized and mixed with the gases.

So BMW put in place an oil separator in between the engine and the intake manifold so that the EO would be collected and dripped back into the oil pan. So if that is the case then all should be well but we still see a whole bunch of carbon built up on the back of the intake valves. And carbon is typically not a good thing.

So here's where an oil catch can would help - it would condense the amount of contaminants getting into the manifold and provide another level of preventive maintenance in addition to the oil separator. And thirdly and this is just me - it help me figure out that state of the the piston rings in my ride.

So I installed an OCC and recently I checked what is in there - pulled out the OCC dip stick .......

View attachment 58223

Dipped a string in there and here' how sludgy it is ..... I reckon if it not in the OCC that stuff could be all over the manifold or caked up as carbon on the intake valves. Doesn't help that EO is hygroscopic and the combination of moisture and blow by gases laden with oil would accelerate the carbonization.

View attachment 58225

Fortunately there's not much in volume (~100ml). Then again some people would argue that that's because I have installed the OCC over a very hot part of the engine bay (right over the turbos). If a lot of oil is collected - then maybe this is why some cars need regular oil top ups.

View attachment 58220

But I am optimistic that the piston rings are in good shape and I do have a vent on my bonnet just right on top of the OCC which helps with the condensation.

At the end of the day - for direct injection engines - an OCC is a good mod. Just watch for the following -

- Position it where condensation is possible
- reduce the restrictions by having hoses that are equal or even larger than stock PCV hoses
- choose OCCs with internal baffles that do not create restrictions

And by restrictions, I mean the airflow created by the vacuum that goes through the OCC.

Again this is just my personal opinion.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Bean_Bun;1060453 said:
For those with engines that makes use direct fuel injection - there's a lot of benefits. 2 major ones are increased fuel efficiencies and power output. For turbo applications, air is compressed and couple this with pressurized fuel squirted in the combustion chamber makes a hack of a lot more power then trying to mix air and petrol before getting it sucked into the chamber. It burns a lot cleaner as well and that is where he efficiency is coming from.

But there are issues - the "old" way of mixing air and petrol means that petrol would be in contact with the back of the intake valves and this help reduce the build up of carbon. Being that direct injection engines don't do this - coupled with the German fixation on emmissions - carbon buildup is eminent.

View attachment 58222

The thing is that to reduce emmissions (pollution) caused by cars - engineers designed the ride in such a way that if there is a possibility to recycle the toxic gases that is created by the combustion processes they would. So blow-by gases that escapes the piston rings (remember about the pressurized air and petrol) when combustion happens. These gases would be sucked out via the vacuum from the top of the engine back to the intake manifold in an attempt to burnt it off in the combustion chamber - in other words the blow by gases gets into the combustion chambers as well. Other than the blow by gases - it turns out that engine oil would also seep through the piston rings - amount varies depending on the state of the rings and it get vaporized and mixed with the gases.

So BMW put in place an oil separator in between the engine and the intake manifold so that the EO would be collected and dripped back into the oil pan. So if that is the case then all should be well but we still see a whole bunch of carbon built up on the back of the intake valves. And carbon is typically not a good thing.

So here's where an oil catch can would help - it would condense the amount of contaminants getting into the manifold and provide another level of preventive maintenance in addition to the oil separator. And thirdly and this is just me - it help me figure out that state of the the piston rings in my ride.

So I installed an OCC and recently I checked what is in there - pulled out the OCC dip stick .......

View attachment 58223

Dipped a string in there and here' how sludgy it is ..... I reckon if it not in the OCC that stuff could be all over the manifold or caked up as carbon on the intake valves. Doesn't help that EO is hygroscopic and the combination of moisture and blow by gases laden with oil would accelerate the carbonization.

View attachment 58225

Fortunately there's not much in volume (~100ml). Then again some people would argue that that's because I have installed the OCC over a very hot part of the engine bay (right over the turbos). If a lot of oil is collected - then maybe this is why some cars need regular oil top ups.

View attachment 58220

But I am optimistic that the piston rings are in good shape and I do have a vent on my bonnet just right on top of the OCC which helps with the condensation.

At the end of the day - for direct injection engines - an OCC is a good mod. Just watch for the following -

- reduce the restrictions by having hoses that are equal or even larger than stock PCV hoses

And by restrictions, I mean the airflow created by the vacuum that goes through the OCC.

Bro RBB, able to PM me on where to do up this OCC thing? Thanks and appreciate it!

L28;1060462 said:
Bro RBB, able to PM me on where to do up this OCC thing? Thanks and appreciate it!

Some of the site sponsors have off the shelf OCCs ready to install e.g BMS. But I heard R2D has a customized version which is pretty slick.

Cochran;1060286 said:
Hi

The jerk u all talking about is not the gearbox issue on the jerk before stop?

To come to it. I did my gearbox solenoid renewal. Everytime when brake to stop. the car will still have a very very slight jerk then stop. I thought is the brake pad and disc come to a complete stop and that caused the very very slight jerk. Not like a Jap car that have a smooth stop.

Mmm...

That's what I thought too when I had it for the first few months, when I check with some WS they have this very weird look like dun understand what I'm trying to say regarding the braking issue..

But I soon got used to it & that not-so-smooth braking is gone (touchwood).

vexxus;1060503 said:

That's what I thought too when I had it for the first few months, when I check with some WS they have this very weird look like dun understand what I'm trying to say regarding the braking issue..

But I soon got used to it & that not-so-smooth braking is gone (touchwood).

Mmm. u soon got used to it & that not so smooth braking is gone? Gone via feeling "Live with it - Jerk still there"or how izzit gone?

seanskye;1060474 said:
I vote RBB for BMW.SG in-house Tech Guru!

I cant agree more.

I just like to thanks RBB for his time and knowledge on our bmw ride. I have met him up the 3rd time to help to shift some issue of my ride and doing coding.

1st time:
Code my air con recirculation setting, digital speedo and doing the extra mile of checking my air con setting etc.

2nd time:
COde my rear LED lighting and remove the led light test flashing after updated to LCI. And again provide me with update on my ride if there is any error/fault and wat i should look up and check with workshop if the item need to be changed.

3rd visit: last nite.
Was trying to code the slight jerk during stopping but found my car dun have the feature required. Checked my gearbox etc and doing reset for me to test the car if any problem. Again he is very helpful and spend the time to chit chat on our car problem and what can be done. I can say he is very knowledgeable about bmw car in software and hardware and very willing to share his finding he found on our car and sharing his knowledge while he is doing the coding for our car.

RBB - Just to update. Now sent the car in for my due servicing and have the rear brake check and asked to check on the radiator temperature sensor too.

Cochran;1060586 said:
Mmm. u soon got used to it & that not so smooth braking is gone? Gone via feeling "Live with it - Jerk still there"or how izzit gone?

Either i got used to the slight jerk before coming to a stop or i got used to braking on my car to prevent the jerk from happening.

Not too sure myself, paiseh..

Lucky I installed the OCC Liao ...

Red_Bean_Bun;1060453 said:

View attachment 58222

View attachment 58223

View attachment 58225

View attachment 58220

Interesting post, LOL, new BMW part - OIL DIP STRING

So I had major changes to my ride because it was PI from Japan - These were the issues ......

- Radio can't go above 100mhz. It operates at 10mhz below the stations here e.g 98 MHz (SG) = 88 MHz (JP). So I had to tune to 88
MHz to listen to Power 98

- Aircon behaves weird. The way the it was blowing the cold air (rear is colder). Generally not cold.

- There are dynamic headlights but it look like its for the wrong side of the road. Turn steering left the light does not move. But turn
right the light follows to the right. So it was setup to blind oncoming traffic (sic !).

- The DRL was disabled be cause Japan don't allow it.

- The alarm system was installed but not activated

So to convert this to local (SG) settings - here's the list of ECUs I had to code -

- FRM --> DRL / Headlights
- IHK --> Aircon
- CHOST --> Radio
- CGate --> Radio
- ASK --> Radio
- DWAS --> Alarm
- DWAI --> Alarm
- JBBF --> Alarm
- CAS --> Chassis and language

One problem was that the DRL was intentionally decoded by BMW as part f the configuration of the car (FO).

Headlights - Changed it to RHD but both enabled LHT and RHT. Decode the decode code for DRL.

Aircon - Changed variant from Japan to Hot climate. Most PML cars I saw are set to Europe which I thought was not right but decided
not to follow and chose hot climate. The chassis was changed from e87 to e92 (don't ask me why on earth it was like that -
its just wrong). Enabled the large compressor.

Radio - Change the language to English, country variant from Japan to Singapore (ECUs & FO list) then reset it to default then
enabled traffic and RDS. Car needs to sleep for it to work as these ECUs are sitting on the MOST bus not the CAN.

Alarm - The junction box need to know it exist, then enabled panic feature (chose 1 stage versus 2 stage). Change the actual alarm
ECUs to enable alarm then changed the features like chirping, warning lights, length of time for panic mode activation. Had it
show up as options on my iDrive.

Language - The car's language was changed at the VO level as well as in the CAS.

All-in-all - I think whoever the dealer used to make the bare minimum for my ride to work in SG was not that good. So would be a good idea to have it checked if your is a PI unit.

Next project - changing the JP iDrive to a non JP unit for navigation (now its a japan map) and enable traffic news ..........

Sometimes when the ride is having issues and there no codes on the dash or idrive - And a visit to the WS reveals nothing - the next best thing is to look at the statistics. Here's a video of what is happening with my ride -

[video=youtube;NwcW_1sWdvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwcW_1sWdvA[/video]

I need to drill a level deeper into the high level stats - I am detecting some abnormal readings in certain conditions.

More to come .....

Wow. I din understand it... your german must be dang geng.

My Coding / Diagnostic happenings ..........

RBB is multi-black belt in dunno-how-many sigma/lean process, foreign languages, coding, programming, BMW tuning, M&A, business consulting, NTC/MBA, dua towkay........ I lose track....

Red_Bean_Bun;1064964 said:
Almost like picking up another language .....

Dang goos. Picking up a german beer is abt the closest i have been. You da man.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaibk8codes

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back