My E90 320i Repair Journal

delrosa81

Just thought I would compile the list of things that could go wrong in this model so everyone can have an idea what could be wrong.

Mileage: 114444km,

1) Coolant was leaking, needed topping up once every 2 to 3 months as OBD would prompt. Was rectified during my automatic transmission change.
Mileage: 73,000km approx.

2) Automatic Transmission (Replaced under warranty). Normally auto transmission starts to give problems around 100,000km mark, I was unlucky I guess.
Mileage: 80,000km Approx
(FOC under warranty, if need to pay is approx. $8,000 to $10,000)

3) Windscreen Washer fluid motor. Water level kept falling and OBD kept prompting water level low. The fluid motor pump was replaced and problem solved.
Mileage: 93,000km Approx.
$90.00

4) Vanos Sensor and Engine Oil filter housing oil seals replaced.
Mileage: 106,000km approx.
$200++

5) Tensioner Pulley was abit noisy and replaced.
Mileage: 106,000km approx.
$200++ IIRC

6) Aircon Fan Coil leaking and was replaced.
Mileage: 106,500km approx.
$980.00

7) Engine Oil Sump and Engine Oil pump leaking, oil sump gasket replaced, Engine Oil Pump oil seal replaced.
Mileage: 114,444km approx.
$573.00

8) Radiator hoses, top and bottom replaced and flushed + change Thermostat and thermostat switch.
Mileage: 114,444km approx.
$526.00

9) Engine Mountings going to give up soon. Now need to rest first, Vitamin M running very low.
TBA

10) Alternator Bearing. There is wong wong sound coming from the bearing, so this will need to source and be replaced as normally the whole alternator would be replaced.
Replaced: S$ 120.00.

11) Oil Seperator and relevant hoses to be replaced. Still pending replacement.
Mileage: 116,000km
Replaced: Approx. S$ 400.00

12) Engine Flywheel Oil Seal Replacement + ATF + ATF Pan + ATF Oil Filter Replacement.
Mileage: 128,000km
Replaced: Approx. S$1067.00

13) Radiator + Some Hardened Water Hoses Replacement
Mileage: 129500km
Replaced: Approx. S$1027.00

Its a non exhuastive list and for any existing owners, it would be something you might want to take note off. You can also add on to the list.

My car is almost all repaired and done up, so anybody interested to buy? :lol2

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My E90 320i Repair Journal

do include the repair cost if possible

het;705484 said:
do include the repair cost if possible

Im not sure if posting prices here would be appropriate as it would seem I am advertising a non sponsor workshop here, which is absolutely not my intention. Maybe the mods could chime in on this.

delrosa81;705491 said:
Im not sure if posting prices here would be appropriate as it would seem I am advertising a non sponsor workshop here, which is absolutely not my intention. Maybe the mods could chime in on this.

I cant seems to find any mentioning of any workshop leh, no worries lah.....also, adding the cost would complete the picture....cheers

Hi, nice of you to share. I'm interested in knowing what were the symptoms for some of the listed items or were they discovered during your routine maintenance? eg. 2,4,8, 10

mlyeu;705593 said:
Hi, nice of you to share. I'm interested in knowing what were the symptoms for some of the listed items or were they discovered during your routine maintenance? eg. 2,4,8, 10

Hi, you are welcome.

For Item 2: I noticed when coming to a hard stop and just immediately the car has come to a complete halt, the car jerks forward in a harsh manner. This was the initial symptom. After a few more months, I noticed when I engaged the reverse gear, the reverse gear would take at least 2 secs before it engages then I can start reversing, after awhile, the engagement would take longer and longer till one day it does not engage reverse. Then gearbox is spoil liao.

For Item 4: This you can see from the top of your engine bay, difficult to describe, but if you know where the vanos sensor cables are, chances you will see the cables covered in oil and as for the engine oil filter housing, you can see the oil seeping out at the edges.

For Item 8: This was pointed out to me by my mechanic, the hoses started to turn whitish and become hardened, which most prob means the hoses might burst anytime. The thermostat and thermostat switch was changed for good measure.

For Item 10: You will feel the car shaking while waiting at the lights. This is symptom of engine mounting wearing out.

Hi,

For item 2, it is a very costly failure and I believe most of the cars will be out of warranty by the usual 100K.

Is there any preventive measures that we can do to?

preventive measure is to flush ATF at 60k/80k mileage including change the oil pan (ie: filter)

eng98;707612 said:
Hi,

For item 2, it is a very costly failure and I believe most of the cars will be out of warranty by the usual 100K.

Last edited by a moderator:

Out of curiosity, can you share how you handle the transmission? Do you for example coast in "N" gear? I know sometimes people do things and are unaware that it may damage the transmission prematurely.

eng98;707612 said:
Hi,

The preventive measures would be to change out transmission oil every 40,000km travelled.

For I rarely shift into N when driving, be it at the redlights or traffic jams. Unless Im stuck there and cannot move for a long time then I shift to N to prevent transmission overheating.

But I do use the steptronic pretty frequently before I replaced the gearbox, I usually downshift and upshift, etc. Im not sure whether this is detrimental but since the gearbox has this function designed in, I reckon it should not be much of a problem.

Reading around forums, it does seem to fail at approx. the 100,000km mark or those luckier or more frequently maintained gearboxes between 100,000km and 200,000km.

detach8;707751 said:
Out of curiosity, can you share how you handle the transmission? Do you for example coast in "N" gear? I know sometimes people do things and are unaware that it may damage the transmission prematurely.

As mentioned in my previous post, I seldom shift into N. The only reason I can think of might be I use the steptronic pretty frequently before my gearbox change. After changing the new gearbox, i rarely shift into sports mode or use the steptronic anymore. Hopefully it lasts.

u better dun buy an alfa romeo.

jonleeck;708086 said:
u better dun buy an alfa romeo.

Why not? I have got the heats for the Alfa 159.

If I do get an Alfa 159, I will opt for the manual gearbox and not the Selespeed. Its a really sexy car BUT the problem is when U close the doors, it closes with a splatter metallic kinda sound and not the usual reassuring thud that european cars are reknown for....

Glad to have found this thread. Just got my self a 2005 E90 320i done about 34,000 KM. I have already replace the following since procuring in last week

1. Oil level sensor
2. Alternator pulley clutch (tend to give rattling sound during idle)

I am also experiencing a slight oil leak from the oil sump and from the head gasket area. Need to replace these as well.

Could anyone recommend any other age related preventive maintenance I should undertake. Though of replacing transmission oil at 40,000 Km due to constant city traffic driving. Would this be too late given the age of the car?

Cheers

34,000 kms for a 6 year old car? I think you better change... almost confident the mileage has been tampered if you bought from dealer.

I bought it with the historic service records from the official BMW Agent. I have the service booklet and also know the previous owner. It was a hardly used car. Also the car was parked at the dealer for about 3 months as it had been traded in by the previous owner for a X5. I also have a 6 month warranty on the car as it is a approved pre-owned BMW car.

Wow well, even then... for 6 years old better to get your fluids changed.

delrosa81;705611 said:
Hi, you are welcome.

For Item 2: I noticed when coming to a hard stop and just immediately the car has come to a complete halt, the car jerks forward in a harsh manner. This was the initial symptom. After a few more months, I noticed when I engaged the reverse gear, the reverse gear would take at least 2 secs before it engages then I can start reversing, after awhile, the engagement would take longer and longer till one day it does not engage reverse. Then gearbox is spoil liao.

Hmmm, i just got a 06 320i, when i brake there is a slight jerk forward. nothing else so far, any idea whats going on? or what i should do?

Many thanks in advance!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ee88hair
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back