My E90 320i Repair Journal

Re: My E90 320i Repair Journal

lim_ck;797705 said:
Just like to check with experienced brothers if this is a concern.
Spotted some dried oil marks on part of the engine (as shown in the pic). Is this a sign of oil leakage? quite long time ago when car was at about 8K mileage, low oil level warning came up. Warning was cleared by topping up engine oil at PML. The problem did not come up eversince and car's mileage is now at about 33K. Car still got about 9 months of warranty left.

img2453u.jpg

There might have been some oil seeping from the valve cover, it is a good idea to send in to workshop for a check. Oil stains, dried or wet, is good to take note and rectify asap.

edios;797347 said:
Hi guys I am very new and just bought a 05' E90 so wanted to send to a workshop and do the necessary check and servicing so can anyone pm me the contact. Thanks alot!

Workshop contacts PM Sent!

Caleb;787468 said:
Just got my 320i for one month, now there is Wong Wong sound when speed hit 80 and above, is that the bearing problem? Mileage is 122k now, engine gasket just changed by previous owner, also have jerk forward problem when stopping, hope the gearbox can still last 2 more years :(
Hi Bro Caleb,

I also have this problem, you cab check my tread...and was diagnosed as Rear Differential..which seems to be a common issue with the E90....and the cost to repair is approx SGD2K for a 2nd one and approx SGD3.5K for a new one. I am still looking around....planning to visit Munich Auto...to discuss and see how much actually to replace a new one...hopefully with warranty...and the 2nd one has no warranty or gurantee...its a gamble liao...

Also see if you can come joins us....as we are planning a meet up for the E90s.....i am planning to meet up a few E90 bros this sunday at Big Splash for breakfast...nothing fancy...just a couple of guys....come join us if you are free, we could see if you have the same sound as mine....drop me a sms @ 90731935

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-whats-happening-my-bmw/64192-weird-sound-my-e90.html

IMG_0772.MOV - YouTube

Cheers Bro.

Monfreeze Archangel;797949 said:
Hi Bro Caleb,

I also have this problem, you cab check my tread...and was diagnosed as Rear Differential..which seems to be a common issue with the E90....and the cost to repair is approx SGD2K for a 2nd one and approx SGD3.5K for a new one. I am still looking around....planning to visit Munich Auto...to discuss and see how much actually to replace a new one...hopefully with warranty...and the 2nd one has no warranty or gurantee...its a gamble liao...

Also see if you can come joins us....as we are planning a meet up for the E90s.....i am planning to meet up a few E90 bros this sunday at Big Splash for breakfast...nothing fancy...just a couple of guys....come join us if you are free, we could see if you have the same sound as mine....drop me a sms @ 90731935

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-whats-happening-my-bmw/64192-weird-sound-my-e90.html

IMG_0772.MOV - YouTube

Cheers Bro.

Cool .. Big splash is about 5 mins from where I stay . Will see if my car will be ready tomorrow, Doing my brakes at the moment. If not then, maybe next time ..

Monfreeze Archangel;797949 said:
Hi Bro Caleb,

IMG_0772.MOV - YouTube

Cheers Bro.

Bro,
What time is your MU for breakfast at Big Splash and the exact location? If my time permit, I may pop up:):)

Same here, will try to pop by. I have stuff to do from 9-11, so its either got to be super early or brunch :)

delrosa81;797740 said:
Workshop contacts PM Sent!

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also just bought a 05 320i. Can you also send a list of workshops I can go to do any checks and servicing?

Thanks!

blacklab;799613 said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and also just bought a 05 320i. Can you also send a list of workshops I can go to do any checks and servicing?

Thanks!

Check on the site sponsor on the top of the page.

Hey guys, been reading this thread and thought maybe can get some help regarding a problem i just experienced 30 mins ago.

My 07 E90 320 is shaking suddenly when i engage gear. Reverse or D no different. In the driver seat it feels like my car is bobbing around and i thought its gonna just explode on me or eject me out of the car. Have not tried moving into the higher gears so as far as i know its in the first and reverse gear.

Will drive in to R2D tomorrow but not sure if i can get the ride there. Just want to see if you guys had experienced similar situations?

Any help appreciated!

Shaun Lau;799815 said:
Hey guys, been reading this thread and thought maybe can get some help regarding a problem i just experienced 30 mins ago.

My 07 E90 320 is shaking suddenly when i engage gear. Reverse or D no different. In the driver seat it feels like my car is bobbing around and i thought its gonna just explode on me or eject me out of the car. Have not tried moving into the higher gears so as far as i know its in the first and reverse gear.

Will drive in to R2D tomorrow but not sure if i can get the ride there. Just want to see if you guys had experienced similar situations?

Any help appreciated!

Is the gearbox.
When I GB failed it is the same. I was stopping at a junction waiting for green light, the car shaking suddenly and the whole GB was vibrating badly. Gear position display was flicking between D & N.
Moved off after green light but the gear never changed any more. Had to tow my car to workshop.

What is your car mileage?

TohTo;799841 said:
Is the gearbox.
When I GB failed it is the same. I was stopping at a junction waiting for green light, the car shaking suddenly and the whole GB was vibrating badly. Gear position display was flicking between D & N.
Moved off after green light but the gear never changed any more. Had to tow my car to workshop.

What is your car mileage?

Mileage is 110k. WA bro then which workshop you go to and what's the damage to repair? I have not tried going down and move the car but I'm realistic and am not expecting the car to recover on it's own. Probably going to Tow it for safety purpose.

Shaun Lau;800115 said:
Mileage is 110k. WA bro then which workshop you go to and what's the damage to repair? I have not tried going down and move the car but I'm realistic and am not expecting the car to recover on it's own. Probably going to Tow it for safety purpose.

When I repair my GB, mileage was 111k. My GB was repair as BVO.

No time to update this thread, but just want to share that my problem has been resolved "amicably". Turns out that the problem is in the ignition coil and or spark plugs. Had all 4 coils and sparks replaced under $500. Car has no issue now.

Only grouses i have for this problem is i am not sure if i should actually replace all 8 items as it is unlikely that they are all failing at the same time. I could be wrong and experts may advise they should be changed as a set much like tires but somehow i doubt that. In any case, compared to the damage for a GB, this is reasonable cost.

As a sidenote, I was using Volker Spec 2 plugs from R2D and i must say it is one of the best spark plugs around. After the change to Briske (the sponsor workshop i went to dont carry Volkers), the ride was not the way it used to be. Only regret i guess. *sigh*

Bro, can PM me the workshop in JB? I go in JB every week, please ask me along if anyone of you is driving down to the workshop.

Bro thanks for ur repair journal. Infomative.

I am thinking of getting a 2007 E90 with mileage 80k.
Worried now abt the auto transmission GB giving problems and the costs of changing it..
Any advice??

Just an update. My exhuast bluish white smoke and gunpowder smell has not been solved. I also have not fixed my leaking flywheel oil seal.

Sent in to Munich Auto recently for a diagnosis and found my engine ventilation valve is faulty. Am awaiting for their quote and will be sending my car into Munich for repairs.

ckwee13;809481 said:

Worried now abt the auto transmission GB giving problems and the costs of changing it..
Any advice??

Pengful has a thread on his GB repair. Costs around 4K plus plus to replace the hydrovalves and some other parts inside the transmission and has been smooth since. Maybe you can search for his thread on the repairs?

ckwee13;809481 said:

Any advice??

I did mine on Feb, total cost around $3.9k with all parts and labor.
My 320i is 2006, mileage is 111k when GB failed suddenly.

delrosa81;809926 said:
Pengful has a thread on his GB repair. Costs around 4K plus plus to replace the hydrovalves and some other parts inside the transmission and has been smooth since. Maybe you can search for his thread on the repairs?

Thanks Bros.

Anyway sent the car down for inspection today at at one workshop.

Problems noted in the ride:
1. valve cover gasket leaking
2. vanos switch O ring leaking
3. oil filter housing leaking
4. oil sump gasket leaking
5. vacuum pump leaking
6. valvetronic servomotor - mininum lift exceeded
7. auxillary water pump fault found from control unit
8. rear axle RH oil seal leaking

Was told Items 1-7 are expected wears and tears for this car's age...and would prob cost me abt 3K to fix all

but for the rear axle, its prematurely leaking and would a damage of $3-4K...so now trying to nego with the dealer to fix that at least....

wat do u guys think of the problems found and the quotes given?

thanks in advance!

ckwee13;810213 said:
Thanks Bros.

Anyway sent the car down for inspection today at at one workshop.

Problems noted in the ride:
1. valve cover gasket leaking
2. vanos switch O ring leaking
3. oil filter housing leaking
4. oil sump gasket leaking
5. vacuum pump leaking
6. valvetronic servomotor - mininum lift exceeded
7. auxillary water pump fault found from control unit
8. rear axle RH oil seal leaking

Was told Items 1-7 are expected wears and tears for this car's age...and would prob cost me abt 3K to fix all

but for the rear axle, its prematurely leaking and would a damage of $3-4K...so now trying to nego with the dealer to fix that at least....

wat do u guys think of the problems found and the quotes given?

thanks in advance!

And was told the GB transmission is ok....
wonder if thats a good or bad thing....since it usually fails at abt 100K? which will mean soon for my ride? another major damage,......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back