Need 3 Series Driver Help

Re: Need 3 Series Driver Help

cordone19;642611 said:
The power loss really very jialet? I drove the 523 before I think the car very heavy and the pickup like alil problem.
This is because the car has not been thrashed. Once thrashed, it will drive like wild mustang.

C3P0;642616 said:
How about Gardenia? Can afford? :nehnehhh:
LPPL:nehnehhh:

TS, getting a used BMW is a journey & it is nvr a destination. I drove mine for 3+ yrs & it is still a learning process for me.

pengful;642577 said:
No one but yourself can understand your financials better. 3K is barely enough to get on with life let alone owning a car. I strongly advise you to take a good hard look at your situation.

unless paying full cash right? S$3k should be enough?

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

cordone19;642627 said:
hmm, i dunno abt the model. i know its those normal 523i 08 version.

oh the lil problem i am referring to is because, i guess i am used to the turbo feeling, thats why i feel the 523i like got difficulty in picking up. but after 100km/h i think it's pretty impressive.

the 320i for the 09 version is call what model ?

also does just adding a sprint booster helps? i'm more concern with the servicing and the reliabilty of the car. cos i am not sure if BMW will always have this spoilt that spoilt? or will it be durable and can safely reach the 100 000km mileage then change parts then can again hv not much of a problem for the next couple of years? :ehhh:

I see, that's the e60 523. Then ignore the number i gave you earlier, that's for the F10 523 though I don't know what's the diff between the two. Fellow 5 series bros here may be able to help. You can just agar agar do a calculation on the power to weight ratio (agar agar only hor, the ratio doesn't mean everything).

Yes, sprint booster definitely helps. As to what extent, or if it satisfies your needs, that one depends on one's butt feels.

2009's 3 series is e90 LCI. So 320i will be e90 LCI 320. 335i will be e90 LCI 335i.

btw, your car is still under warranty so don't worry too much about major wear-&-tear. After 3 years then you start to worry :chinese: I think you should be able to afford, no problem. At 19 I was taking bicycle.....:woottt:

pengful;642577 said:
No one but yourself can understand your financials better. 3K is barely enough to get on with life let alone owning a car. I strongly advise you to take a good hard look at your situation.

I like the honesty.

hmm, i think i should be able to make it also. seems like hardly see people selling the white color. all black color. cos i prefer the white with black interior rather than the beige one.

just that i think i am too negative then i keep pressing my calculator. keep trying to see if i am able come to the worst worst case scenario.

oh ya, BMW warrently is 3 yrs huh? cos i've a friend that have a workshop so he might be able to help me.

cos last time my subaru is either 1 yr or 16000 km which is like, so so fast!!

Guys, I cannot believe that you all are encouraging the thread starter to test drive the car, to buy it..... He mentioned that 3K is the worst case scenario but you still need to pay for car instalment, petrol, parking, maintenance when the worst case scenario happens. 2K per month to dump into the car is average (can be higher if take high loan) and that is 66% of his worst case scenario of 3K.

To the thread starter, so what if you trade in the WRX? How much is it worth and how much loan can you secure? I also want an M3 or M5 but I also know my limits. Go figure!

If you are financially sound, you do not need to come into the forum to ask this question.

3 k honestly not enough! Forget it! Min u need 5k for a jap 2lit in my opinion!7k for
conti 2lit! Please dun ask me how I reach tat fig!

Bro, 19 years old with a fully paid WRX. Heh heh. He's better off than me.....

And NCD 50%, he's not his name to buy car take insurance or loan i bet. Don't underestimate the financial backing of youngsters nnowadays heh heh.

pengful;642670 said:
Guys, I cannot believe that you all are encouraging the thread starter to test drive the car, to buy it..... He mentioned that 3K is the worst case scenario but you still need to pay for car instalment, petrol, parking, maintenance when the worst case scenario happens. 2K per month to dump into the car is average (can be higher if take high loan) and that is 66% of his worst case scenario of 3K.

To the thread starter, so what if you trade in the WRX? How much is it worth and how much loan can you secure? I also want an M3 or M5 but I also know my limits. Go figure!

If you are financially sound, you do not need to come into the forum to ask this question.

erm, chill chill. it's more of asking more opinions rather than a rash act etc.

i am thinking of selling my rex for like 36-38k.? after which let's assume the market rate of 09 320i @ 118k. so i got to loan 77k ? use $1400 a mth to pay? 400 petrol ? 100 parking? 100 road tax. spend 300 on meal ? hp under office. the rest save and if got maintenance?

possible? seems tight.. no la even if financially sound also will come and ask. cos, it's better to seek more opinion rather than buy already then no return.

C3P0;642680 said:
And NCD 50%, he's not his name to buy car take insurance or loan i bet. Don't underestimate the financial backing of youngsters nnowadays heh heh.

ya, the NCD under my mum name. cos if i am to pay for the insurance last time, they quote me 8k which is like crazy amount.

so that's why it's under my mum name.

anyway i am not 19 yrs old this yr la. this nick stick with me for yrs yrs yrs.

Oops paiseh. U may be older than us...btw I'm 25, davidtch is 27 and pengful is 26.

Unless the car is fully paid, 3K monthly salary is IMHO too low to get a premium car if you take into consideration long term planning for your future home, future children, retirement needs and contingencies.

Here's a guide based on my 2009 3 series:

Petrol $300 - $400 a month (about 750 km per month)
Car parking $100 - $150 a month
Servicing $300 - $400 a year
Insurance $1,166 a year
Road tax $2,362 a year (2979cc)

ktnpl;642715 said:
Unless the car is fully paid, 3K monthly salary is IMHO too low to get a premium car if you take into consideration long term planning for your future home, future children, retirement needs and contingencies.

Here's a guide based on my 2009 3 series:

Petrol $300 - $400 a month (about 750 km per month)
Car parking $100 - $150 a month
Servicing $300 - $400 a year
Insurance $1,166 a year
Road tax $2,362 a year (2979cc)

Because based on my Rex my petrol a mth now is like $750 which is super high Ithink. One full tank only 330-350km. The servicing that u quote Is inside my budget. The insurance also lower. Mine around 1.9k now.

I'm more worried abt if I dont change now. Then 5 yrs ltr when I'm getting married and gonna get a hdb flat, by then my Rex COE also due. Then need to buy house and car together. More exPenses? Am I right to say that?

Whereas If change now, by then I finish Paying in 5 yrs then just now can start paying for hdb?
Is my thinking able to justify why should I change now? I dunno, what's Yr views? Need more opinions Cos I don't wanna regret.

Btw My nick since primary sch haha that's why easy to remember.

Oh maybe what's Is the more comfortable salary to own a 320i 09 version? 4k 5k? So at least I got a gauge? Afterall u guys drive a BMW whereas I dont. :)

IMHO, I don't think anyone here can give you a good answer to this question because everyone have a very different definition of comfort, lifestyle and other financial burdens. I think it is more realistic if you figure out how much of your salary are you willing to spend on a car. Remember, it is a luxury to have a car in Singapore, and when it comes to luxury items, sky's the limit. So it all depends on your budget, there is no right or wrong answer on this.

cordone19;642731 said:
Oh maybe what's Is the more comfortable salary to own a 320i 09 version? 4k 5k? So at least I got a gauge? Afterall u guys drive a BMW whereas I dont. :)

cordone19;642568 said:
hi bros driving 3 series,

i'm currently driving a wrx and i'm thinking of changing to a 2009 3 series like 320i. btw is the 09 320i and the latest model 320i the same design?

is it very expensive to upkeep the car as this might be my first continental car.

i'm a sales person and my income varies. but most of the times, i'm earning at least 3k. will be more if got sales.

saw from a dealer, he is letting go a 320i 09 model, and in terms of petrol my rex is like 7km/l so it's quite bad. is the servicing very expensive?

how much does a person needs to earn roughly to be able to upkeep a 320i ? i'm working monday to sunday and i dont spend alot of money, spend only on my meals. was thinking of getting a 5 yr loan and using my wrx as downpayment as i've finish paying my wrx installment.

thanks for the help as i dont want to regret my decision after buying.

The current market 320i (as in brand new in PML) is different from the '09 320i. The current 320i is fully spec'ed up - iDrive CIC, sunroof, dakota leather, 17" rims, etc.

If you can share the sgCarMart link, we can help work out some sums for you. If you're driving a WRX now actually the 3 series will not be much different in terms of depreciation (for 09 car is 10-11k/yr?), but maintenance wise probably cheaper as turbo cars are troublesome.

Since you are using WRX as downpayment, good for u. Means you can sell the car if you need to and not top up the outstanding loan.

Search carefully for good deals. Nowadays car prices are high and the trade-in prices still damn low. Dealers are bloodsuckers.

As for FC, it depends on your driving style. If you do sales and circle around town, I think 320i will get you 7-8km/l. 318i maybe slightly better. If you just drive to work, I can achieve 9-10km/l depending on whether I use the DS mode often or not :p

Comfort confirm better, but power is no where near.

You might want to consider a 2006 or 2007 model which will get a lower depreciation of about 8-9k/yr.

Good luck!

cordone19;642731 said:

I don't mind sharing... when I bought my '06 320i, my salary was also like yours or maybe just abit more. It was abit painful because I did not have a WRX to use as downpay, so I took almost full loan.

Of course if you are young, your salary will likely go up and not down. But this is BAD ADVICE, so don't take my advice.

I would say if you earn 5k, you can consider a '09 model. For now, try looking at '07 model so it is not too bad in terms of depreciation. If you really like the LCI, then no choice lor.

Just to swing you abit, the pre-LCI models are using ZF transmission. The newer ones are GM. :p Some people say the ZF shifts better. I personally don't know cos I haven't really driven the GM tranny before.

But a BMW is still a BMW, no matter which one you drive you will come to love the car, the technology and the passion that built it. People say once you drive a BMW you will always drive a BMW. I'm probably one of them.

douggie;642734 said:
IMHO, I don't think anyone here can give you a good answer to this question because everyone have a very different definition of comfort, lifestyle and other financial burdens. I think it is more realistic if you figure out how much of your salary are you willing to spend on a car. Remember, it is a luxury to have a car in Singapore, and when it comes to luxury items, sky's the limit. So it all depends on your budget, there is no right or wrong answer on this.

+1! very well said!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back