Need installer contact and speaker supplier

powertorque

Hi all,

I'm planning to replace the crappy factory-fitted sound system (don't we all know!) on my 3 series cabrio. I came across an installer named Hong Guan in this forum. Could someone please provide me with their contact information?. I plan to check out Acoustics at 6th Ave too.

In addition, would like to intall MB Quartz speakers for the front. Anyone who can advise where I can buy these and an estimated cost range?

Thanks much.

Hong Guan's number is 64696775. I have seen quite a few 3 series cabrio being done there, and also coupes. My ICE revamp will be starting from end of this month.

powertorque,

I am sure Sandy from Hong Guan will be reading this with a smile. I've heard , and i stress i've heard... they are abit pricey, so pls do some negotiation. I've heard they are pretty good but some key personnel have left, so unsure about quality now. They do big cars (i've seen).

As for Acoustics...the previous operation guy has left and set up his own called Konceptz Audio or something. Not sure if there's any impact though.

MB Quartz which range ? For the entry range, The tweets are pretty bright... u may get listening fatigue.

Acoustics Auto Sound : 64664336. Just did a simple set up there (2 channel amp + front speakers) not long ago and they did a good job. Call before hand, though. They can be quite packed on Saturday. Previously went to Hong Guan - good range of stuff to choose from but quite expensive and forget about just dropping in to get your car done. Book way in advance.

Best way is to call several shops to quote for the same job. Can discover a big diff in prices.

However, if its a big ICE job involving multiple amps and subwoofers and custom fabrication, you'll want the help of the established places like New Generation, Swift Motion, Hong Guan, Tye Electronics, etc.

There are some installers that have done so many high end setups in the E46 that they can strip the car with eyes closed, and automatically tell you which are the best places to mount yr equipment. Then again, there are some that will tell you 'no problem'... and you see the worker in the background trying to open panels ... try here try there with a screwdriver to pry open... Just like the alfas... you CANNOT switch on igintion if your driver seat has been removed. The system will lock up, and you'll have to tow the car back to agent to reset the ECU. Some simply do not know that, and kena lor...

ulujungleboy said:
Acoustics Auto Sound : 64664336. Just did a simple set up there (2 channel amp + front speakers) not long ago and they did a good job. Call before hand, though. They can be quite packed on Saturday. Previously went to Hong Guan - good range of stuff to choose from but quite expensive and forget about just dropping in to get your car done. Book way in advance.

Hi !

Can you share what have you done to your car ( 2 channel amp + front speakers) ?

Am i right to say that you just changed the front speakers and keep the rear ? What is the cost ?

Hi powertorque,

I'm thinking of revamping my lousy sound system in my cabrio too. Can I tag along on your sourcing trips? ;)

Hi BMWSilver, changed the fronts to DLS classics and put in a 2-channel Lanzar amp (which will upset the real audiophiles in this forum) to drive them. Cost including cabling + labour was S$680.00 nett. Not the best system, but MUCH better than the stock crap system (with Nokia speakers :errr: ). Did not change the rear speakers on acoustic's advice - they said it wouldn't make a huge difference and wouldn't be worth the additional cost. May do so later, though.

Actually, to clear the air about Lanzar.. it isn't THAT much of a crappy brand lah.

Their OPTI series is very good. Digital Amps, and small form factor.

If you talk Heritage series, then that's the budget one... but installation knowledge and tuning makes a lot of difference. For Tye, I'm sure they know the amp inside out and how to handle it.

__iceman__, ulujungleboy and everybody who responded,

thanks so much for the quick response, information and advice.

I will go talk to Hong Guan and Acoustics and see what they offer. May come back to this forum with my findings before proceeding.

oneHeadlight, thanks for the info abt the staff changes. sure hope that doesn't affect the quality of the installation. Do you have any advice which MB Quartz I shd get and their price range? I don't know anything abt them at this moment but intend to read up on the web.

rebture,

You're most welcome to join me in the ICE hunt! You hav a cabrio too huh? Great!

is tomorrow a good time to go hunting? drop me an email with your contact. Tx

ulujungleboy said:
Hi BMWSilver, changed the fronts to DLS classics and put in a 2-channel Lanzar amp (which will upset the real audiophiles in this forum) to drive them. Cost including cabling + labour was S$680.00 nett. Not the best system, but MUCH better than the stock crap system (with Nokia speakers :errr: ). Did not change the rear speakers on acoustic's advice - they said it wouldn't make a huge difference and wouldn't be worth the additional cost. May do so later, though.

I've read good reviews in this forum abt the DLS. Will check it out too.

I don't intend to spend more than $1k to $2k revamping the ICE if possible. From what I've read so far, seems like the best bang for the buck is:

1) change the front speakers (6.5" possible?)
2) add a sub (bass is sorely lacking in the stock system)
3) add a 4-channel amp to drive the two fronts and two rears
4) budget permitting, may change the rear speakers too

Any comments/advice on the above setup?

for the amp, read that Rockford is good. Any comments/advice ?

Hi all,

Just made a trip to an installer. Here's what they proposed:

1) Genesis Profile 2 Ultra 2x150W RMS
2) DLS C6 for the front speakers
3) Dynamat for both front doors (sound proofing)
4) misc power cables, speaker cables, RCA cables and fuses

All the above for about $1,500.
The original proposed amp was the Genesis Stereo 100 (2x50W) but that was out of stock. Was told the Pro2 Ultra is a better amp.

Any views on the setup and price?

Tx!

ulujungleboy said:
was told no need dynamat - adequate soundproofing in BMWs. but i suppose it can't hurt, can it?

Was told the Dynamat, in addition to soundproofing, is to "seal" any gaps between the speaker and the mounting. This will prevent air leakage which could affect sound quality.

powertorque said:
Hi all,

Just made a trip to an installer. Here's what they proposed:

1) Genesis Profile 2 Ultra 2x150W RMS
2) DLS C6 for the front speakers
3) Dynamat for both front doors (sound proofing)
4) misc power cables, speaker cables, RCA cables and fuses

All the above for about $1,500.
The original proposed amp was the Genesis Stereo 100 (2x50W) but that was out of stock. Was told the Pro2 Ultra is a better amp.

Any views on the setup and price?

Tx!

Sounds like a setup for clarity. Don't ever under estimate the importance of sound proofing. At this level, it is helluva important, and I deem it compulsory, since you're already using Genesis and DLS. 2x150 RMS sounds good too... speakers will pound hard, and soundproofing will be sorely missed if not done.

__iceman__ said:
Sounds like a setup for clarity. Don't ever under estimate the importance of sound proofing. At this level, it is helluva important, and I deem it compulsory, since you're already using Genesis and DLS. 2x150 RMS sounds good too... speakers will pound hard, and soundproofing will be sorely missed if not done.

Yeah, setup's for clarity. Didn't want too boomy bass.
The Dynamat costs about $130 for both doors so it's not too bad.
Just read from Genesis's website the Pro2 is 2x75W RMS. That shd be enuf for a car. Some home systems have less!

powertorque said:
__iceman__ said:

Yeah, setup's for clarity. Didn't want too boomy bass.
The Dynamat costs about $130 for both doors so it's not too bad.
Just read from Genesis's website the Pro2 is 2x75W RMS. That shd be enuf for a car. Some home systems have less!

2x75W RMS shld be enough for most setup but if you are using power hungry speakers like Dynaudio, than you will need at least 2x100W RMS to fully power up the dynaudio speakers............... :)

Cheers!
8)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclub777

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups