New 420 bhp Porsche 911 GT3 Cup

Re: New 420 bhp Porsche 911 GT3 Cup

DoggieHowser;273686 said:
Sure hope no one sees my neighbour :) he put on two racing stripes (white I think) on his red 911 C2S!

*shivers*

That is just plain wrong. Like a porker that really wants to be a mini cooper S. Must be one confused piggy indeed. :lol2:

TripleM;273727 said:
There is one GT3 RS too, black with orange stripes ala Scuderia...oops

Perfect for Halloween. Just like this one :)

TripleM;273598 said:
acupunch
only the GT3 RS got the side stickers

there's after mkt stickers for GT3 too but I wont put I think
oh I see. thanks

There is one yellow regular GT3 with black stickers running down the flanks.

And the owner is super individual. Those who know him would know what I mean...

Actually, hang on a minute....

My old banger also has stickers running down the sides!

BorisRS;274022 said:
Actually, hang on a minute....

My old banger also has stickers running down the sides!
That's ok because that just makes it more period correct... :)

Remus325;273664 said:
Suncoast in the US may have PCCBs for GT3 at around USD 14K. Definitely a steal compared to what stuttgart is offering

Suncoast Porsche, Audi, & VW: Brakes

Whats so special about these brakes? Is it cause the rotor is lighter? Are the calipers and pads lighter too? Do these need changing like regular rotor/brake pad usage.

Venom X2

The key advantage of PCCB is the weight savings over conventional metal discs of approximately 50%. For what it is worth, the ceramic discs are also much more resistant to high temps and so there is less brake fade at the track.

The discs last pretty much forever so maintainence is not much of an issue.

The guys in the forums report that PCCBs have better bite over the regular big reds but may have some issues in the wet.

Note that the big reds (std brakes on the S / GT3 / turbo) are already very competent. And PCCBs will be much more costly to replace if they get damaged.

Personally, the biggest benefit of PCCBs for me is that they produce very little brake dust :)

Remus325;274187 said:
Venom X2

The key advantage of PCCB is the weight savings over conventional metal discs of approximately 50%. For what it is worth, the ceramic discs are also much more resistant to high temps and so there is less brake fade at the track.

The discs last pretty much forever so maintainence is not much of an issue.

The guys in the forums report that PCCBs have better bite over the regular big reds but may have some issues in the wet.

Note that the big reds (std brakes on the S / GT3 / turbo) are already very competent. And PCCBs will be much more costly to replace if they get damaged.

Personally, the biggest benefit of PCCBs for me is that they produce very little brake dust :)

thanks for the info Remus325. so only brake pads need changing but what happens when wet?

BorisRS;274021 said:
There is one yellow regular GT3 with black stickers running down the flanks.

And the owner is super individual. Those who know him would know what I mean...

Haha, we talked bout it on the phone, didnt we?

Remus325;273918 said:
Perfect for Halloween. Just like this one :)

Smashing Pumpkin! :cloud9:

saw a GT3 RS around Sin Ming today. that was what the sticker said. does it belong to anyone?

VenomX2;274233 said:
thanks for the info Remus325. so only brake pads need changing but what happens when wet?

Some people complain that when PCCBs are soaked (during a heavy downpour or after a car wash) there is significantly less bite. Brake feel comes back after a few stabs at the brake pedal though.

I dunno about these guys, but for me, if my STEEL rotors soaked, it's the same - no bite. You have to dry them out by powerbraking first.

Actually, wet braking were one of the reasons why MB developed servotronic brakes - where electronic control of hydraulic brakes - so that when wipers are on, periodically the brakes will clamp slightly to dry out the brakes transparently to the user.

So that might not be a problem localized to ceramic brakes only. Recent test drives of the GT2 and the GT3RS have all come to one point - the PCCB are absolutely the best brakes for any street car, with ALMS driver Johannes Overbeek stating that PCCB on his street GT3RS are EQUAL to that of his ALMS race car in all parameters save `race long staying power' which he did not evaluate... which brings to the other rumoured weakness of the PCCB brakes - the rotors crack under hard hard track use. Which is strange coz the ALMS teams also use ceramic brakes and ... ahem ... if those cracked then we'd have read about it. I guess it WAS a QC issue which I'm sure Porsche improved secretly since we no longer hear anecdotal evidence on the forums anymore about cracking ceramic rotors.

A great alternative to the PCCB is nothing but this:

Brembo GTR, a strong LW forged caliper...:yummie:
But expect the price near the PCCB territory

The rotors are clearly heavier but the calipers shud be lighter so nett still heavier
I think it's the strength and durabilty that wins it. It's a race brake kit after all.

centurion;274858 said:
Recent test drives of the GT2 and the GT3RS have all come to one point - the PCCB are absolutely the best brakes for any street car, with ALMS driver Johannes Overbeek stating that PCCB on his street GT3RS are EQUAL to that of his ALMS race car in all parameters save `race long staying power' which he did not evaluate... which brings to the other rumoured weakness of the PCCB brakes - the rotors crack under hard hard track use. Which is strange coz the ALMS teams also use ceramic brakes and ... ahem ... if those cracked then we'd have read about it. I guess it WAS a QC issue which I'm sure Porsche improved secretly since we no longer hear anecdotal evidence on the forums anymore about cracking ceramic rotors.

There are a lot of options when it comes to designing a CC brake system. The carbon is carbon, but how the fibres or particles are oriented as well as resin type make a big difference. So different CC systems look and feel different.

What you get in a street system is significantly different from the racing systems that reach peak temps in the upper hundreds to >1000 C range and really only start working properly when hot.

With CSC the options probably are the same too though I am less sure. Recently picked up a Veyron rotor (~ size of a medium pizza!) and while it was lighter than traditional rotors, it wasn't as light as equivalent CC would be so I think CSC was picked for lower cost and long life.

Actual braking performance between a proper cast iron and CC system is not all that different. It is actually one of the last things on the list of positives - which are are actually more so (in order of significance from greatest to least) ... rotor and pad life, ability to reduce ducting requirement (better aero), lower unsuspended mass, lower rotating mass. Last 3 swappable depending on how big of a track it is and how bumpy. Other thing that may lead you to go with proper cast iron based system is the unreasonably high prices vendors are charging for CC systems. If you call up suppliers and ask for the price of CC rotors and pads, then add the price of making an aluminium hat, you'll see how throats are getting cut. It's not near as bad with good cast iron system. We run both Carbone Industrie and Hitco stuff but really only for better aero and lower gyroscopic precession given the type of car and tracks we run. Sometimes even solid non-vented carbon rotors are run at the tracks where brake loads are low enough.. that way the rotor pumping loss (air centrifuge) is saved. It is a quantifiable gain on top of vented carbon rotors alone requiring less ducting.

It's only when you go into limited diameter rotors like having to house them in tiny wheels (say F1 13" rims) and stop a high downforce (high grip) car where the coefficient of friction and the very aggressive compounds and high temp tolerance of CC really dominates traditional stuff. Street cars with non pro drivers, running road course track days really don't need it especially when there are great cast iron systems around.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theforestavn

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back