New 420 bhp Porsche 911 GT3 Cup

Re: New 420 bhp Porsche 911 GT3 Cup

I wouldn't have any idea what Shaun was saying until I saw the segment on Top Gear when Hamster tried to drive the Renault F1 car (the older more powerful one!)

Basically he was driving soooo slowly, his tyres actually "cooled down"

and his brakes never worked cos he never used them hard enough (cos he didn't drive fast enough).

It was quite hilarious actually.

yeah, they have a million dollar brake system but no brakes!

centurion;277088 said:
these carbon rotors break on you before?

never, and never heard or seen otherwise from others either..

carrying over from the last thread about brakes where you mention downforce cars and inability to lock wheels at high speed... There have been brake pedal designs (enough width) that allow the left foot to start braking, and once the right foot is off the throttle, to actually join in so the driver is literally standing on the brakes with both feet. What's more is that the initial brake application point isn't just the left foot pressing down on the pedal, but the drivers that brake quickest actually hold their foot off the brake by inches and then time it right so at the right brake point the left leg is actually carrying momentum behind it when it slams into the brake pedal. Also, the driver is able to apply more force on the brake pedal while driving vs at rest in the garage or pits, because the decel is causing his legs to weigh more in the longitudinal direction by approx. 5.5 G (F1), and 4-4.5 in other top tier series' so you have that virtual leg mass added to actual muscle force.

just interesting trivia. obviously totally non-applicable in low/no downforce cars, but gives some perspective

And halfway through his fast lap, they had to bring the car in and manually reheat the tyres.

chio ka peng

DoggieHowser;277101 said:
and his brakes never worked cos he never used them hard enough (cos he didn't drive fast enough).

yup cold carbon = bad

At some tracks the best in lap is best reached by actually burning a little more fuel to preheat the brakes by driving final portion of lap LFBing in the portions where the cars speed needs to be regulated anyway. Then with the brakes up to temp the driver can be very aggressive in the final section before pit lane and decel. to pit speed limit, and also for the decel from pit speed limit down to standstill in pit box. If you watch the fuel consumption, the in lap can consume almost as much as a flying lap because of putting the energy into the brakes.

good technique shaun! I will learn. I love learning pedal technique! LFB first, then RFB, left foot go clutch!

centurion;277159 said:
good technique shaun! I will learn. I love learning pedal technique! LFB first, then RFB, left foot go clutch!

It is entirely possible with a large enough brake pedal (and it doesn't even need to be stupid large as long as your feet are precise enough). The only places you'll be able to do a brake foot transfer like that though is the long brake zones which are few in number even at a big track like Sepang. The higher power and lower drag a car is, the longer the brake zones too, so it might be more appplicable with a such a car.

But other than that standard LFB is advantageous because of plain elimination of time it takes for right foot to come off throttle and move to brake. It's just that in some footboxes and with some transmission types it is impossible or impractical to carry out where downshifting is required. Where no shifting is required and balancing the car most efficiently, plain LFB can work well, but whether you do that, or breathe off throttle to accomplish that all depends on the car, how touchy the brakes and throttle are respectively, and the brake balance, pitch sensitivity (aero) of the car. There is no rule as to which is better, but in a stockish sport production car IMO both methods are fine. IMO though LFB is marginally quicker if done right. Whether you need to be marginally quicker and master LFB, or other much more basic things first, or attempt to perfect all areas simultaneously, is all arguable, but there is no denying the fun and challenge.. so I say good on you.

DoggieHowser;277143 said:
And halfway through his fast lap, they had to bring the car in and manually reheat the tyres.

chio ka peng

The ability for a driver to push the limits on cold tires while not slipping, and putting maximum energy into the tire so that it gets up to temp as soon as possible while not wearing out or heating unevenly is one of the biggest differences between ok drivers and great drivers.. especially so in cold climates and esp with race tires which are designed to take all that energy and give you grip. IOW, the faster you go while staying in control, the faster the tires heat, and the faster you pull away from the other guys. On top of this you have the car itself acting completely differently on soft cold tires not up to temp and pressure, with the car bottoming all over the place so it is a fight to stay on the edge all the way up to when everything becomes optimal.

centurion;277159 said:

actually i've been doing exactly that at every traffic light for the past 2 months. The only aim is to train the left foot to be a lot more sensitive for proper LFB at the track eventually. Coz you think about it: our right foot is very sensitive, able to control many degrees of movement. But our left foot is conditioned to be an On Off switch for purpose of clutching, so needs to be trained.

you should try it. Can be done several times a day. like sex

Racebred;277351 said:
actually i've been doing exactly that at every traffic light for the past 2 months. The only aim is to train the left foot to be a lot more sensitive for proper LFB at the track eventually. Coz you think about it: our right foot is very sensitive, able to control many degrees of movement. But our left foot is conditioned to be an On Off switch for purpose of clutching, so needs to be trained.

you should try it. Can be done several times a day. like sex
already doing it. I do LFB on my Ody anyway, even with BBK I can modulate.

When Shaun say it, it was that I can also do on my manual trans car ... so now I doing it. But very very messy leh, have to clean up my act. Only can do in driving shoes.

Hi bros out there Happy New Year, may i ask if anyone of you knows wether is there gonna be a new GT3 coming? As currently the 997 GT3 has stopped production already.Thanks.If you have the info can kindly state roughly by when it will be available.Thanks..Cheers

GT3 is in limited production, just GT3RS has stopped because need to use the factory space for GT2 production, right?

There's no news for new GT3, though there are rumours of the GT1 engine used in the GT3 will have direct injection upgrade. All changes to GT3 will probably be delivered only in 1st quarter 2009, though announced earlier.

n a DSG gearbox hopefully. if they put it in the 'new' GT3....they hv me as a new porky owner...n i wun poke u anymore caysman.

lol toto! I don't mind all the pokes as long as nothing gets personal like what's happening in the kukup thread in the verified section now ...

And DSG - it might add S$30K. I think the GT3 engine, being same type as the R8 engine, is problem to use DSG...

This coming Sunday trying to organize another drive ... your new ride come yet? everybody reminiscing about your super loud maser.

no new ride la....sundays i ride bicycle....no time for TFTF car drives...
but YES, i m shopping for a new toy.

totoseow;284159 said:
no new ride la....sundays i ride bicycle....no time for TFTF car drives...
but YES, i m shopping for a new toy.
when somebody's scud is coming in March, he'll sell the F430. Get ready.

Firstly , the Gt3 and the GT3Rs has stopped production. All customer that has ordered and have have not get allocation will have their deposit refunded. The new GT3 is expected to be out in 2009/2010. In the track the 360 CS is better but on normal driving on the road the 430 is more comfy. Jack time for you to meet all the GT3 owners soon?U collected your car yet.

bleachberu;284521 said:
Benz,

Why have they stopped production of the GT3?

Cheers,
B
Actually factory officially announce this month.

bleachberu;284521 said:
Benz,

Why have they stopped production of the GT3?

Cheers,
B
I think they need the space to make the GT2, but surely they can't anticipate making so MANY GT2s right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back