NTUC sacks staff for inappropriate Facebook comments

Re: NTUC sacks staff for inappropriate Facebook comments

TODAYonline | Singapore | Facebook comment confirms "deep fault lines" in S'pore society: K Shanmugam
Facebook comment confirms "deep fault lines" in S'pore society: K Shanmugam
Updated 06:11 PM Oct 08, 2012

SINGAPORE - Ex-NTUC staff Amy Cheong's Facebook comments have confirmed that there are "deep fault lines" based on race/religion in Singapore society, said Foreign Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam today.

Writing in a Facebook post, Mr Shanmugam said Ms Cheong's comments and conduct "are shameful and completely unacceptable".

"This confirms what I had long suspected and said: there are deep fault lines in our society, based on race/religion," he wrote.

Ms Cheong had posted a comment on Malay weddings at void decks on her personal Facebook page on Sunday. In response, the NTUC today said it terminated the services of Ms Cheong, who was an Assistant Director in its Membership Department.

Noting that the emergence of the Internet and social media "frees some people to say what is really in their hearts", Mr Shanmugam said: " Her comments reflect a deep seated racist attitude coupled with contempt for those who are less well off, or who wish to spend less."
Referring to a 2002 speech he had made in Parliament, where Mr Shanmugam urged Singaporeans to reflect on the attitudes of non Malays are towards Malays, he added: "We will be a truly civilised society only when we deep in our hearts accept everyone as equal."
"I am glad that NTUC took swift action to terminate her employment. This should send a message that such conduct will not be tolerated," he said.

Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam today also commended the NTUC for its quick action in terminating Ms Cheong.

In a Facebook post, Mr Tharman said her comments were offensive not only to Malay-Muslims, but to the rest who value Singapore's multi-racial spirit.

Earlier today, Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin wrote on his Facebook page that he "embrace(s) and celebrate(s)" Singapore's diversity.

While many activities, such as the burning of offerings, void deck funerals and weddings, could seem to "intrude into our personal space", Mr Tan urged Singaporeans to "give and take".

"Many are proud of this colourful tapestry that we have here. This is part of what it means to be Singaporean. The reaction of some individuals do not reflect the values that the rest of us hold on to," he said.

SapphireSpite;904579 said:
WTS: $50 NTUC wedding vouchers

What about one for void deck funerals?

kenntona;904571 said:
TODAYonline | Singapore | Facebook comment confirms "deep fault lines" in S'pore society: K Shanmugam
Facebook comment confirms "deep fault lines" in S'pore society: K Shanmugam
Updated 06:11 PM Oct 08, 2012

Writing in a Facebook post, Mr Shanmugam said Ms Cheong's comments and conduct "are shameful and completely unacceptable".

"This confirms what I had long suspected and said: there are deep fault lines in our society, based on race/religion," he wrote.

+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

Wow! He makes it sound like a modern problem. My late Grandfather, peace be upon him, told me that if I marry a malay, indian, japanese or manchurian, he will break my legs. I grew up with this kind of healthy and balanced family teaching.

Mr. Shanmugan grew up in a very nice and sheltered place where it is roses and honey everyday.

These are not just "deep fault lines." These are cracks. And when these cracks widen, Singapore is going to fall into it.

PM, DPM, Law Minister, Minister of Manpower, MPs, etc all come out commenting ....
Amy must be shaking now .... sekali this case is raised in the next NDP Rally Speech
btw, no news will she be prosecuted or any legal action since a police report is lodged

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;904656 said:
PM, DPM, Law Minister, Minister of Manpower, MPs, etc all come out commenting ....
Amy must be shaking now .... sekali this case is raised in the next NDP Rally Speech
btw, no news will she be prosecuted or any legal action since a police report is lodged

Police report lodged by none other than Mr. Lionel de Souza. Righteous. Rigid. Ram-rod Rectal.

wobbles;904671 said:
Police report lodged by none other than Mr. Lionel de Souza. Righteous. Rigid. Ram-rod Rectal.

who ish he?

I dunno who he ish, but somesay, hearsay, hardwarezone.com.sg say: LIONEL is a HERO

Prease, I am just the messenger. Prease don't lee-pork me to po-rish.

Just like Superintendent of NPCC Traffic Police Logistics (TPL).

So aft this amy sacking incident, men in white scored some points??? 2015 coming...

NTUC sacks staff for inappropriate Facebook comments

Sart! Facebook comment can develop into national debate from ministers to prime minister.

i wonder if it was a person from any other private company would the response been so swift and the condemnation so immediate?

zao liao

P1-Oct-10-Wed-3.jpg

conspiracy theory?
Wall Photos | Facebook

Amy-Gate: Fact or Fiction?
10 Points of Suspicion to Ponder Over

Amidst all the hullabaloo of Amy-gate, some netizens have questioned if the events were not staged and that Amy Chong was really a fictional character. The argument is that Amy-gate was really created as a piece-de-resistance of the PAP Government to push the populace to the tipping point of accepting the imminent Internet Code of Conduct.

Here are 10 suspicious points that appear to support the above theory:

1. All the ministers joined in the condemnation as if on cue.

2. On the day after Amy Cheong's offensive post was made public, The Straits Times splashed the photo of Amy on the front page. It's befuddling that the Straits Times which has always claimed itself to be "level-headed" would do this, given the possibility of vigilante attacks on Amy Cheong. Furthermore, previous cases in which similar incendiary posts were made had never made it to the headline.

3. On the same day when Amy-gate broke, the same Straits Times published an article from the Wall Street Journal titled "Why we are so rude online".

4. The above article was mentioned by their political master supremo Lee Hsien Loong last week in a post on his Facebook about "online vitriol".

5. Indeed, as Lee commented in his denunciation of Amy Cheong, he again quoted the article: "Just last week, I shared a WSJ article on why people say nasty things online that they would never say face to face. I reminded netizens that we needed to be extra careful and watch ourselves..."

6. At the same time, Warren Fernandez penned a note on Straits Times Facebook page questioning why "these episodes keep flaring up online", insinuating that there was indeed a need for regulation of the online platform.

7. Immediately after the furor erupted and she was "sacked", Amy Cheong supposedly managed to get a ticket to Perth where she is now. This is despite the fact that police report had been lodged against her by a PAP man, Lionel De Souza.

8. Incidentally, it is befuddling why Lionel de Souza did not lodge a report against Jason Neo whose post on a group of Muslim kids was arguably more incendiary. This could of course be due to Jason Neo's PAP connection. If this was the case, then surely we have reason to doubt Lionel De Souza's claim that he wanted to do the right thing. It is also worth noting that for that incident, the PAP ministers did not come out to categorically condemn Jason Neo or sack him from YPAP.

9. It is also, if not even more, befuddling that the NTUC would sack a senior staff in such haste, appearing to cave in to pressure from netizens.

10. Finally, even as all the above were taking place, Yaacob Ibrahim was opening the International Institute of Communications Conference 2012, where he spoke again on "growing concerns on easy access to illegal content and increasingly harmful Internet conduct."

In summary, the chain of events in Amy-gate appears to be too well-rehearsed, with each episode taking place as if on cue. But is it really the case? Only Amy will know, provided she exists, that is.

In any case, the winner in Amy-gate is the PAP as it comes out smelling like roses following: the "swift" "condemnation" of Amy Cheong, the "decisive action" taken by NTUC and the fact that its "grassroots leader" had lodged a police report thus becoming a "hero".

Finally of course, it may have convinced many of the need to accept the Internet Code of Conduct.

Finally Steven Lim korkor speaks up

[video=youtube;5NiJt39vaao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NiJt39vaao[/video]

Another FT related social problem.

Sigh. Born in Malaysia, works in Singapore. Aussie citizen.

Why do I feel my country is nothing more than a stepping stone?

Amy, good onya mate. Stay in Perth, don't come back.

More like prostitute.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uk88ceo

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back