One issue after another...

Re: One issue after another...

how much to pay for workshop to run a "check" for used car
apart from visual check, do the mechanic also do a little stress test (drive the car aggresively) with the present of the dealer ?
or simply pop the hood take a look ?

STA rating intepretation:

Grade A = Average Condiiton
Grade B = Bad Condition
Grade C = Condemn Condition
Grade D = For Dick head buyers only.

wt_know;587745 said:
how much to pay for workshop to run a "check" for used car
apart from visual check, do the mechanic also do a little stress test (drive the car aggresively) with the present of the dealer ?
or simply pop the hood take a look ?

For my case, the workshop is actually owned by my classmate so he didnt charge me. He jacked the car up to check the undercarriage and popped the hood, then alone, he took the car for a spin.

Totally agree that STA or VICCOM evaluation tests are all bullshits. won't be surprise if the dealers know the mechanics by their first name. Buying used cars can be a gamble and challenging at the same time. buy a lemon and u cry no tears.

I changed about 13 cars now since 1993, both conti and jap (never korean). got my fair share of heartache. When buying a used car, I think very much it depend on how you rate that car. whether it has been well maintain with parts that need to changed, changed. If the previous owner is a ah beng driver, pushing the car to the limit but no $$ to do the necessary maintainace, then good luck.

Brought my first BMW, 05 Dec 523 in Jul this year. mileage was 112k. currently at 121k. no prob so far, minus the false alarm on the transmission fluid leak. All i did so far - changed a new set of tires, did a oil servicing, changed the front sway arms plus some DIY on stopping the creaking noise in the cabin.

Like some bro here commented, driving a bimmer is about the feeeeling la. forget the cost la. it is the drive that count. anything else, go buy a corolla. cheap, good, and idiot proof.

tiger1;587859 said:
Totally agree that STA or VICCOM evaluation tests are all bullshits. won't be surprise if the dealers know the mechanics by their first name. Buying used cars can be a gamble and challenging at the same time. buy a lemon and u cry no tears.

I changed about 13 cars now since 1993, both conti and jap (never korean). got my fair share of heartache. When buying a used car, I think very much it depend on how you rate that car. whether it has been well maintain with parts that need to changed, changed. If the previous owner is a ah beng driver, pushing the car to the limit but no $$ to do the necessary maintainace, then good luck.

Brought my first BMW, 05 Dec 523 in Jul this year. mileage was 112k. currently at 121k. no prob so far, minus the false alarm on the transmission fluid leak. All i did so far - changed a new set of tires, did a oil servicing, changed the front sway arms plus some DIY on stopping the creaking noise in the cabin.

Like some bro here commented, driving a bimmer is about the feeeeling la. forget the cost la. it is the drive that count. anything else, go buy a corolla. cheap, good, and idiot proof.

Hi Tiger1,

goooooood point.........
BMW = Sheer Driving Pleasure

cheers

Yea, I know the car is a driving pleasure and I am committed to repair whatever I need to.. and I will learn to be extremely careful + kiasu the next time I buy a BMW...

James1500;587864 said:
Yea, I know the car is a driving pleasure and I am committed to repair whatever I need to.. and I will learn to be extremely careful + kiasu the next time I buy a BMW...

it also applies to all car bro.

cheer up on your car. I am very sure it will regain its former glory after your TLCs. :)

tiger1;587865 said:
it also applies to all car bro.

cheer up on your car. I am very sure it will regain its former glory after your TLCs. :)

Hi bro, or senior I shall call, I have bought a e90 06/05 n loan have
been approved for collection of car, but after I read the forum, I have
fear,like our poor bro here , this is my 1st conti car n I never, or shall i say
ever buy a conti car in my life, I always envry people who drive audi, BMW
as I only afford Japanese car, till now I never get the e90 tat been approved,
I juz can't overcome the fear inside me, spenting 10 k aside for repair
now I have question
will a low mil car server me better? 07/06 mil 80k
or 08/06 125k. Which should I go for ? Or any old bird or
senior bro can help me take a look at the e90 I'm buying?
Pls help :(

i-vtec(izterry);587872 said:
Hi bro, or senior I shall call, I have bought a e90 06/05 n loan have
been approved for collection of car, but after I read the forum, I have
fear,like our poor bro here , this is my 1st conti car n I never, or shall i say
ever buy a conti car in my life, I always envry people who drive audi, BMW
as I only afford Japanese car, till now I never get the e90 tat been approved,
I juz can't overcome the fear inside me, spenting 10 k aside for repair
now I have question
will a low mil car server me better? 07/06 mil 80k
or 08/06 125k. Which should I go for ? Or any old bird or
senior bro can help me take a look at the e90 I'm buying?
Pls help :(

Hi i-vtec,

125k vs 80k.....that's 45k diffference....
go with the 80k variant...........

cheers

ac323;587874 said:
Hi i-vtec,

125k vs 80k.....that's 45k diffference....
go with the 80k variant...........

cheers

Thanks bro but i read in the forum, they say the higher the mil
is better cos all the wear n tear part have been change, rite? Now
I really don't know which to choose, of course I prefer low mil but
after I read the forum, it tents to get a high mil is better, is this true ?
Can u enlighten me? Which mil when the car reach, will most of the
wear n tear been change?

i-vtec(izterry);587878 said:
wear n tear been change?

Hi i-vtec,

wear and tear parts faulty is quite subjective as it all depends on the previous owner(s) maintenence plus driving style.........but for for sure low mileage car gear box will not give way as yet ( so far haven't heard any of E90 gear box give way that early ).

So no worries or get a workshop like BVO, J4C or BOSS to do a check before you make the purchase ( click under workshops & help section for their location and contact )

cheers

wear n tear been change?

When you say higher mileage is better because all the parts have been changed ... you are making a very big assumption. You should only feel comfortable with this if the dealer can show you (e.g. receipts) proof that the critical parts have been changed.

I think the critical stage for all cars would be around the 80 - 100k mileage range where things need to be changed.

Generally, as a rule, I prefer low mileage cars. For low mileage cars, I think it is safe to assume that things have NOT been changed and you would probably need to budget a few k for these. the other advantage for a lower mileage car is that you could probably get a better resale value down the road.

The worst is to get a higher mileage car thinking that all the critical parts have been changed only to find out shortly later that they have not and you have to fork out more $$. There will always be a pricing difference between the lower mileage cars and the higher mileage ones and you need to balance the difference with what you would need to pay for repairs.

On alternative to hedge your bets is to consider getting the transmission warranty membership. I checked with Khang's and it about $2500 for 5 years. I am considering this for my 4.5yr old '06 E60. Called them and they said that they will need to evaluate my car first before allowing to sign up. I guess that if I send it in, they will probably find fault with it here and there. Also there are mixed reports on the forum about people receiveing good and bad service from them. I guess no harm trying to see what they say.

wear n tear been change?

this is really 1 big question on mileage. my thought will be the car itself, regardless of mileage. the car can be low mileage but like some bro here say, it all depends on its previous owner.

1 consideration will also be, how low you want to drive the car? till finish? for 3 years then scrap? if you are planning to drive until the 10th year, then mileage shd not be an issue. Provided, you budget a few k and do up the car after collection.

If for 3 years only, then mileage is a major factor as u may wanna to sell it off with as a similarly low mileage car.

either way, it all depends on gut feel abt your potential ride. if it drives well, well maintained by previous owner, then go for it.

even if you buy a low mileage car, my advise will be. dun do anything. drive the car for 1 week. then repair all the problems. give u a peace of mind that it is going to be ok for the next few years at least.

just some thoughts. major look out on used cars:
1) engine mounting.
2) gearbox jerk
3) oil leaks
4) new paint
5) whether the car drive straight
6) sign of major accident repairs. (if kana door, ok la)

Most impt, remember, if the deal is too good to be true (low mileage and cheap) open your eyes WIDE WIDE!

Khang's Auto? I have my reservation..................................................................................

Thanks for all the warm feedback from all the bro here,
really feel the brotherhood in BMW forum, but my question
start here

1) engine mounting. (which part should I look into?)
2) gearbox jerk(when stop or chAnging sport mode)
3) oil leaks(does twm warranty on this. Cos I have 1 yr warrty)
4) new paint
5) whether the car drive straight (I dunno understand this, care to explain more)

Most impt, remember, if the deal is too good to be true (low mileage and cheap) open your eyes WIDE WIDE![/QUOTE]

i-vtec(izterry);588103 said:
Thanks for all the warm feedback from all the bro here,
really feel the brotherhood in BMW forum, but my question
start here

1) engine mounting. (which part should I look into?)
2) gearbox jerk(when stop or chAnging sport mode)
3) oil leaks(does twm warranty on this. Cos I have 1 yr warrty)
4) new paint
5) whether the car drive straight (I dunno understand this, care to explain more)

Most impt, remember, if the deal is too good to be true (low mileage and cheap) open your eyes WIDE WIDE!
[/QUOTE]

Hi i-vtec,

so have you got the ride or still hunting?

cheers

James1500;588088 said:
Khang's Auto? I have my reservation..................................................................................

Hi James,

Understand your reservations. I've read some difficult reviews but then there were some who seem please with this.

Basically, I looking at a hedge for the potential financial impact of major repair costs. I expect that my air con compressor will definately break down within the car's lifetime (maybe sooner rather than later) so if it's gonna cost me $1200 to replace it. In that case having a warranty would make financial sense.

Putting aside time and trouble, from an economic standpoint this seems like a good insurance bet.

Any I'll make my way down to Khang's and let them evaluate my car. Maybe they may not wanna give a warranty without finding fault with this and that ... so this may be acedemic anyway.

Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for any other workshop that has a warranty package.

Question:

Is it normal in Singapore for used cars not to have a proper service history record, or is the service history record something that every car dealer should be providing for a continental car such as a bimmer?

highbury;588118 said:
Hi James,

Understand your reservations. I've read some difficult reviews but then there were some who seem please with this.

Basically, I looking at a hedge for the potential financial impact of major repair costs. I expect that my air con compressor will definately break down within the car's lifetime (maybe sooner rather than later) so if it's gonna cost me $1200 to replace it. In that case having a warranty would make financial sense.

Putting aside time and trouble, from an economic standpoint this seems like a good insurance bet.

Any I'll make my way down to Khang's and let them evaluate my car. Maybe they may not wanna give a warranty without finding fault with this and that ... so this may be acedemic anyway.

Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for any other workshop that has a warranty package.

my thoughts exactly. i read the "horror" stories about twm but i took it up as hedge for big ticket items.

im already prepared to pay out of my own pocket for small items as it saves me time by going to rod or boss.

as long as we know wat to expect and prepared for it, why not? a gearbox, aircon or radiator failure will easily cost the amount i paid to twm and for these items, i dun mind going there a few times to have it fixed.

tradert;588124 said:
Question:

Is it normal in Singapore for used cars not to have a proper service history record, or is the service history record something that every car dealer should be providing for a continental car such as a bimmer?

If service by AD, sure got record.

If servicing is done by owner at outside workshops, then depends whether he keeps the records properly, and more importantly, does he pass down to the next buyer. There is no rule or culture here to do so. Depends on the owner.

But most of the time the records doesn't get pass down - from my experience of buying 2 non-warrantied used cars.

For me, I did pass my service record file to the dealer when i sold my first car and the next owner actually received it. 2nd car going New Zealand to see sheeps so I can't be bothered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chillnrelax
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back