One issue after another...

Re: One issue after another...

C3P0;588165 said:
If service by AD, sure got record.

If servicing is done by owner at outside workshops, then depends whether he keeps the records properly, and more importantly, does he pass down to the next buyer. There is no rule or culture here to do so. Depends on the owner.

But most of the time the records doesn't get pass down - from my experience of buying 2 non-warrantied used cars.

For me, I did pass my service record file to the dealer when i sold my first car and the next owner actually received it. 2nd car going New Zealand to see sheeps so I can't be bothered.

Hi Robot,

i think J4C also keep service record of vehicle........

cheers

i-vtec(izterry);588103 said:
Thanks for all the warm feedback from all the bro here,
really feel the brotherhood in BMW forum, but my question
start here

just some thoughts. major look out on used cars:
1) engine mounting. (which part should I look into?)
2) gearbox jerk(when stop or chAnging sport mode)
3) oil leaks(does twm warranty on this. Cos I have 1 yr warrty)
4) new paint
5) whether the car drive straight (I dunno understand this, care to explain more)
6) sign of major accident repairs. (if kana door, ok la)

Most impt, remember, if the deal is too good to be true (low mileage and cheap) open your eyes WIDE WIDE!
[/QUOTE]

very much depend on your gut feel la. if you think the car's price is reasonable, well maintanced then ok. if unsure, bring it for a check with a workshop (not STA or Viccom).

1) 1) engine mounting. (which part should I look into?)
start the car, see if the car vibrates, quiet or not, with air con on and air con off. drive the car, start at traffic light, in engage gear mode, see if the steering vibrate. put the gear to reverse, and check too. if yes, then engine or gearbox mounting may need changing liao.
2) gearbox jerk(when stop or chAnging sport mode)
car stationary, play with the gear, put to all gear. see smooth or not. may be 4 years old car but the gear change cannot be wierd. drive the car, see the gear change, smoooth boh.
3) oil leaks(does twm warranty on this. Cos I have 1 yr warrty)
this one very general. maybe oil, transmission fluid or other coolants. when go see car , feel the bonnet. if cold, good. check the floor below the car. see if there are any small pool of liquid. oil, water, etc. when the dealer come, on the aircon and let the car run. check aircon cold or not. see if oil leak etc.
4) new paint
new paint may be sign of accident repair.
5) whether the car drive straight (I dunno understand this, care to explain more)
check for accident history. if the car on a straight rd, with hands off steering, it should drive straight or only a bit to the left due to Singapore road. but if let go hand, car pull a lot to 1 side, something is wrong.
6) sign of major accident repairs. (if kana door, ok la)
kana front, dun buy!

hope this help.

ac323;588180 said:
Hi Robot,

i think J4C also keep service record of vehicle........

cheers

Oh ya, J4C's records swee swee, no horse run.
But buyer must know the car is service there also.....

Thanks for the replies.

I brought my car to a 3rd party workshop for inspection (one of the site sponsors here), and some issues were found (vacuum pump leak, bump stops missing etc). Am taking it up with the dealer's workshop.

My preference is to do the service/repairs at the 3rd party workshop, however this could void the warranty. I'm also negotiating with the car dealer to foot for some of the costs.

If anyone has comments, pls let me know...

Last edited by a moderator:

C3P0;588232 said:
Oh ya, J4C's records swee swee, no horse run.
But buyer must know the car is service there also.....

Hi Robot,

hope the dealer will release this info..........

* dealer will always be dealer
cheers

tradert;588239 said:
Thanks for the replies.

I brought my car to a 3rd party workshop for inspection (one of the site sponsors here), and some issues were found (vacuum pump leak, bump stops missing etc). Am taking it up with the dealer's workshop (Kar Engineering, which is Khang's Automatic)

My preference is to do the service/repairs at the 3rd party workshop instead of Kar Engineering, however this could void the warranty. I'm also negotiating with the car dealer to foot for some of the costs.

If anyone has comments, pls let me know...

Hi tradert,

if you need the waranty then have to do the faulty parts from the appointed workshop from the " dealer ".............( i think is only fare )

Unlikely the " dealer " will foot some cost ( very rare )

cheers

whiteice78;587743 said:
That's really frustrating to hear, I too recently got a used e46. Even older. Ard 9 year old. But apart from the Gasket change, no problems so far. Maybe due to the low milege of 88k. I don't trust STA gradings, what I did was to get the dealer to drive the car to my regular workshop, only after my mechanic gave the go ahead, did i purchase the car. Now bracing for the 100k mark. Good luck bro.

9 year less then 100k ..
mine is 5 years already 120k haha.. i am heavy driver.

milleage

< 15k per year = low usage
15k < x < 25k per year = average (that's why most dealer provides 3 years or 60k milleage warranty)
> 30k per year is high usage

To me, got drive, no drive, road tax also same.. so drive more lor...

tlkchew;589986 said:
9 year less then 100k ..
mine is 5 years already 120k haha.. i am heavy driver.

Yes, even the tyres are manufactured 05, faints. Some pple really never use the car but under me, it will become high milege. I am an even heavier driver. average 28K km per annum for last 2 years already.

James1500;590051 said:

To me, i already become my wife's personal taxi driver. so no choice

ya.. its ok.. anyway when we sell, how much more can you fetch? worse to worst, drive to scrap... I just simply cannot understand the point of buying such a nice car to drive but in the end, park the car high up in multi-story carpark and drive brother's car out instead.. just no logic..

James1500;590051 said:

Hi James,

buy car is to drive la..................no need to keep the mileage for next owner ( so long got good maintenance, the car should be ok ok..........)

cheers

Alvin,

I totally agree with you.. so I am not particular about clocking my mileage.. I just want to make my car worth her every cent. U r right, proper maintenance is the key.

cheers

James1500;590314 said:
ya.. its ok.. anyway when we sell, how much more can you fetch? worse to worst, drive to scrap... I just simply cannot understand the point of buying such a nice car to drive but in the end, park the car high up in multi-story carpark and drive brother's car out instead.. just no logic..

100% agree with you.

car just like jaboh. so Bimmer like swee jaboh la. dun tell me you got a pretty gf, you park her at home, dun bring her out to show right? same same la. not as if there is a resale mkt for thses gf. if have, advertise wat?

"TO Let Go with Pain - very sweee gf, low mileage, seldom use, always park under shelter, wax every wk, never been track, no modification, original stock condition, serviced regularly by owner himself, confirm no langa." :shakemyb::shakemyb:

tiger1;590353 said:
100% agree with you.

car just like jaboh. so Bimmer like swee jaboh la. dun tell me you got a pretty gf, you park her at home, dun bring her out to show right? same same la. not as if there is a resale mkt for thses gf. if have, advertise wat?

"TO Let Go with Pain - very sweee gf, low mileage, seldom use, always park under shelter, wax every wk, never been track, no modification, original stock condition, serviced regularly by owner himself, confirm no langa." :shakemyb::shakemyb:

Hi Tiger1,

that's a GOOD one ya........

cheers

But my swee charbo is regularly serviced by others :D

James1500;590430 said:
But my swee charbo is regularly serviced by others :D

Hahah... You Win...

But then again... i think i'm the ultimate in clocking mileage...

Bought a 1 yr Old RX8 at 25K KM. Drove for 1.5Yr. The Mileage became 88K KM when i handed it over in exchange for my 320i!!!

No thanks to regular SIC and PG trips plus running around here n there on work...

Surprisingly, although ppl all say RX8 is a problem child, mine worked reliably for all 18 months under my belt except for my breaking of 1x suspension damper due to extra hard driving on PG... That costed my 3k plus... and a faulty radiator indicator - $300... OTHER THAN THAT- $0 on repairs... And did I leave out that bumper that fell off in the flood along N-S Highway... $800...

Last edited by a moderator:

lol... clocking 60k a yr!!! u can be a taxi driver liao.. ok, we are all our wife's taxi driver.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chillnrelax
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back