One issue after another...

Re: One issue after another...

James,

Sad to note that PML did not want to entertain you even though the former owner had been sending his car there..By the way, which center did you send you car to? Alexandra or East Coast? Anyway, I hope you can get the GB issue sort out soon...

Notice that your car's mileage is quite high. Have you change your oil separator? If you haven't change it, suggest you do it immediately.. If your mileage is more than 80,000, chances are the oil separator and its hoses are choked. Some of your engine oil would have gotten into the intake manifold by now.

The parts can be easily purchased from ES. The cost is about S$320++. Get your workshop to fix it for you. However, it is not an easy job to change the old separator. Hence, prepare to pay at least $150-$200 for labour.. PML is charging near to $800 to change it..

KK,

Thanks for your help.. Ya, I got the car when she was 113,000km... a balance between price and expectation, i guessed. A same car which I was shown cost me $14k more with mileage of 68,000km.. so I choose the former..

I never heard of Oil separator before.. Heard about Bearings though.. but nonetheless, I will go check it out.. btw, what is ES??

James

Yah, it's always a difficult decision when it comes to pricing.. By the way, ES is Eng Soon...stocklist for BMW parts..

Thanks bro... :)

how much is 50% + labor? I will not be surprised if the total adds up to more than $7k for the "50% + labor"...

For my case,the factory recon E60 pre LCi GB is about $6,000. So, with 50% factory courtesy, the charge is close to $3,000. The labour is $500 ...reasonable...and the GB comes with 2 years warranty...

Double K;591313 said:
For my case,the factory recon E60 pre LCi GB is about $6,000. So, with 50% factory courtesy, the charge is close to $3,000. The labour is $500 ...reasonable...and the GB comes with 2 years warranty...

wow only $500 for labor...you are very lucky.

James1500;591291 said:
KK,

Thanks for your help.. Ya, I got the car when she was 113,000km... a balance between price and expectation, i guessed. A same car which I was shown cost me $14k more with mileage of 68,000km.. so I choose the former..

I never heard of Oil separator before.. Heard about Bearings though.. but nonetheless, I will go check it out.. btw, what is ES??

James

James,

Maybe if I share my experience, you might take some comfort.

I just got my E60 recently and it is a March '06 model with a low mileage of 58k. During test drive, everything was fine and the car even smelt nice. Recently, I noticed this gear jerk problem starting to surface. I guess you can consider that even if you had taken the low mileage model, you might still end up with the same issues and after having paid more.

For me, I got the car at a reasonably good price (at least I think so), so I have to be prepared to spend a little for repairs (hopefully not too much). I brought the car to Khangs and the quoted me $6700 to repair the gear box and change arm bushes and coolant pump, gasket etc etc. If I add the cost of $2.5k for a 5 year warranty, it doesn't seem worth it and I might as well take the gamble myself instead of the warranty.

My gears jerk mainly when I come to a stop after hard braking. Normal braking is not too bad. Also, there is a slight time lag (about 2 sec) when I shift into Reverse gear. Actually, I'm not too fussy and can actually live with these issues. Anyway, I went to BVO for a discussion. I think the approach is to let them look at the car to decide what is critical and urgent and not follow Khangs checklist too blindly . Khangs are probably kiasu and wanna change everything nicely before they issue the warranty. At BVO I was told that a gear valve body could cost $3k and a new gear box around $6k. I'll let them take a look at it first. Sending in on Thursday. Maybe a simple software upgrade and ATF change may do the trick (fingers crossed).

Meanwhile, I now have this irritating problem of the stinky air con. I know this issue has been discussed and I tried the hot air burnout method but it didnt seem to work very well. I've just tried to use Lysol and Dettol spray (yes kiasu use both). Seems to work slightly better to get rid of the smell. I'm just wondering if this doesnt work, what else can I try.

Other than that, they car is great. Anyway, long story short. High or low mileage, there might still be some problems here and there. Buying a used car is like a box of chocolates, sometimes you never know what you're gonna get.

highbury;591354 said:
James,

I just got my E60 recently and it is a March '06 model with a low mileage of 58k. During test drive, everything was fine and the car even smelt nice. Recently, I noticed this gear jerk problem starting to surface. I guess you can consider that even if you had taken the low mileage model, you might still end up with the same issues and after having paid more.

For me, I got the car at a reasonably good price (at least I think so), so I have to be prepared to spend a little for repairs (hopefully not too much). I brought the car to Khangs and the quoted me $6700 to repair the gear box and change arm bushes and coolant pump, gasket etc etc. If I add the cost of $2.5k for a 5 year warranty, it doesn't seem worth it and I might as well take the gamble myself instead of the warranty.

My gears jerk mainly when I come to a stop after hard braking. Normal braking is not too bad. Also, there is a slight time lag (about 2 sec) when I shift into Reverse gear. Actually, I'm not too fussy and can actually live with these issues. Anyway, I went to BVO for a discussion. I think the approach is to let them look at the car to decide what is critical and urgent and not follow Khangs checklist too blindly . Khangs are probably kiasu and wanna change everything nicely before they issue the warranty. At BVO I was told that a gear valve body could cost $3k and a new gear box around $6k. I'll let them take a look at it first. Sending in on Thursday. Maybe a simple software upgrade and ATF change may do the trick (fingers crossed).

Meanwhile, I now have this irritating problem of the stinky air con. I know this issue has been discussed and I tried the hot air burnout method but it didnt seem to work very well. I've just tried to use Lysol and Dettol spray (yes kiasu use both). Seems to work slightly better to get rid of the smell. I'm just wondering if this doesnt work, what else can I try.

Other than that, they car is great. Anyway, long story short. High or low mileage, there might still be some problems here and there. Buying a used car is like a box of chocolates, sometimes you never know what you're gonna get.

when you say stinky, what exactly is the bad smell? i hope it is not due to water flood.

James1500;591179 said:
Bro,

113000km

James

wah 113k only up lorry... not very lasting GB the BMW
I drove my lancer to 140k and still no problem.

Hi Tiger,

When I first tested and got the car, it smelt ok. After a month or so a bad smell like dirty shoes/socks start to come out when I start the car (with the aircon on). I think it is worse on rainy/cold days.

Looking through this forum, it seems like a common problem for BMWs though I never experienced it before in my previous 3 series or jap cars. I did some reading up and it seems that this foul smell is probably due to bacteria/mould build-up in the aircon vents/coils.

I tried the hot air burnout method recommended by some but it doesn't seem to work. So, I've resorted to spraying Lysol/Dettol disinfectant into the aircon outlets. I just did this a few days ago and the smell is mostly gone. A slight faint smell here and there but this is better. Maybe I should just empty the whole can of Lysol into the vents.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do.

this is the first time i hear of this prob. not rubbing salt onto your wound but.........normally it shd not happen right? must have kana something like flood water, water condensation trap within the space or something to that extend. dun make sense to me at all.

why dun you try baking/airing the cabin under hot sun for a period of time. if that sort it out, then confirm kana flood water liao. if prob comes back, maybe water condensation forming at the wrong area.

No worries. Thanks for sharing your views. I looked at the car and it seemed generally ok without any signs of flood. STA and PML inspections did not reveal anything adverse. I think if it was a flood car the smell wouldn't only come when the air con in on but should be there all the time. I put my nose at the aircon vents and the smell comes from in there.

This aircon mouldy smell is quite a common problem here. There is a sticky thread on this in the Interior section. Apparently, this problem even strikes those whose cars are brand new, after a few months. From my reading, it is probably a bacteria build up in the coils.

The solution seems to bake the car in the hot sun for about 30 mins whilst turning the aircon temp to hot and recirculate. I've tried turning the aircon to hot for a while but unfortunately I always do this at night when I have free time. I haven't really done it in the hot sun yet so perhaps this is what I must try next.

tlkchew;591484 said:
wah 113k only up lorry... not very lasting GB the BMW
I drove my lancer to 140k and still no problem.

i think alot also depend on ex-owner maintenance but then again........mechanical stuff cant really predict...............my previous 3 Series (E46) 148000km then upz the lorry ( which means better than Lancer, hehe )

cheers

ac323;591622 said:
i think alot also depend on ex-owner maintenance but then again........mechanical stuff cant really predict...............my previous 3 Series (E46) 148000km then upz the lorry ( which means better than Lancer, hehe )

cheers

Nice.. that's why I am predicting the next repair I had to do will be the aircon compressor... btw bro, have u heard of a part called the "oil separator"? A fellow forummer asked me to consider changing it... What say u?

James

highbury;591354 said:
James,

Bro,

Thanks for those comforting words.. But again, I can empathize as well as sympathize your situation.. I do hoped your car's issue will be resolved. I also know many of them had the same problem but they refused to work on it or even acknowledge it.. I wish them well :whipper:.. Anyway, yes, buying car is like Baccarat, Player / Banker.. sometimes TIE... :D:laughing:

James1500;591729 said:
Nice.. that's why I am predicting the next repair I had to do will be the aircon compressor... btw bro, have u heard of a part called the "oil separator"? A fellow forummer asked me to consider changing it... What say u?

James

Hi James,

this, i not sure, if not just have it change for another peace of mind.

cheers

Hi James,

You can have a look at oil separator at this link.

Crankcase-Ventilation/oil separator BMW 5' E60, 523i (N52) ? BMW parts catalog

As I say, you can buy the parts from Eng Soon and get your regular workshop to fix it for you. But be warn though. It is quite a massive job. Many things need to be removed before the oil separator can be reached, although it just sit beneath the intake manifold.. For those bros who are drving E60 now, please consider changing this part too if your car's mileage is more than 85,000.. You will be shock to see how choke up all the hoses are when your mechanic remove it.

I come to know about this oil separator thingy through one SA from PML. So, it can't be wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chillnrelax
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back