Porsche 911 vs all the rest of the pretenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

centurion

2006 Porsche Cayman S, Chevrolet Corvette Z06, Porsche 911 Carrera & S, Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Luxury Sports Coupe Comparison - Motor Trend

Will it win?

What Is It About Porsche's 911? Any wet-behind-the-ears automotive engineer can fill a blackboard with figures and equations proving the venerable Porsche is, by design, an inferior sports car. Just look where the engine is, ferpetesake. It's hanging way out behind the rear axle, which makes for a disadvantageous polar-moment of inertia. That's geek-speak meaning the car inherently wants to handle like a lopsided barbell, swinging all pendulum-like in corners. Furthermore, the engine's mass actually teeter-totters weight off the front wheels, and any C-average enginerd can remember that the maximum grip a tire can deliver is the product of its coefficient of friction and the weight pushing down on it. Less weight equals less grip--another critical strike against the 911's cornering capability. Slavish devotion to a 43-year-old profile leaves no room out back for anything bigger than a flat-six, and unless you lay out six figures and order the X51 power package or wait for next year's Turbo, the water-boxer six only makes between 325 and 355 horsepower--far less than competitors costing a fraction of the 911's $72,095 opening price. Clearly the continuing popularity of the 911 can only be explained by the iconic image it enjoys and projects.

continued: 2006 Porsche Cayman S, Chevrolet Corvette Z06, Porsche 911 Carrera & S, Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Luxury Sports Coupe Comparison - Motor Trend

Re: Porsche 911 vs all the rest of the pretenders

there is more to motoring life than boring porkys. some buy for looks..some buy cos the porky is ugly n they love ugly things...ok porky will win. but i hope the corvette comes up tops, the AM 2nd.....n the porky last....especially the cayman S.

yabirdy yabirdy...thats all folks.

200px-Porky_Pig1.jpg

Definitely. The US general motor mags are pretty smitten by it, though. Well, porkys GT2 and the new F430 Scud and the R8 are definitely driving magazine sales now. Just wait for Honda to release their new NSX and next month the Nissan GTR will dominate the pages.

Everything is about `what the buyers wants to read about'.

haha you rock my sexy toto....... and thanks for displaying my pig, i mean pic.

anyway, seen the new tuned corvette on wcf? pcb.. i show you. gayman ass suck cork.

Pratt & Miller Confirm Corvette C6RS for Production

i wonder what THIS is pretending to be............

totoseow;266892 said:
there is more to motoring life than boring porkys. some buy for looks..some buy cos the porky is ugly n they love ugly things...ok porky will win. but i hope the corvette comes up tops, the AM 2nd.....n the porky last....especially the cayman S.

yabirdy yabirdy...thats all folks.

200px-Porky_Pig1.jpg

Hahahahaha, Saify, I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE !!! Come play with curry power !!!

u guys will sub for Jeremy Clarkson in the Porky haters club reps anytime !!! :)

dunno jeremy clarkson..i know liang zhi qiang.....li guo huang.

but he likes the 996GT3 RS when pairing with 360CS some yrs back..
not that he likes more but he reckons the RS is better on the track but CS ia a better all rounder

TripleM;266918 said:
but he likes the 996GT3 RS when pairing with 360CS some yrs back..
not that he likes more but he reckons the RS is better on the track but CS ia a better all rounder
when you say `he' who're u talking about?

Toto, Jeremy Clarkson, Liang Zhi Qiang or Li Guo Huang?

Liang Zhi Qiang ... sound familar .... is he a reputable automotive Journalist??? :)

ya u dunno meh? he made some good local movies on cars too. that show money no enuf...got cars in the car polish biz. nevermind...

kenntona;266913 said:

Saifys gonna get hurt REAL BAD.

caySman;266922 said:
when you say `he' who're u talking about?

Toto, Jeremy Clarkson, Liang Zhi Qiang or Li Guo Huang?

Liang Zhi Qiang ... sound familar .... is he a reputable automotive Journalist??? :)

JC................................

kenntona;266913 said:

he really did say that....... sometimes he scares me :errmm:

caySman;266914 said:
u guys will sub for Jeremy Clarkson in the Porky haters club reps anytime !!! :)

we don't hate porsches :) bmwsg all love! muah muah everyone!! :cloud9:

although..

i can't help but say this.. almost every one of your posts are porsche biased. i don't post much these days but i do read up on most threads daily.. and you're all porsche porsche porsche.

you must really love your cayman alot. hey, i love my cars too. we won't be here if we weren't car enthusiasts :)

but just imagine if i keep talking about my dc5 here.. telling you about how it is one of the best fwd cars bla bla bla.. :)amijdm:) and how i like playing with gtis.. etc. a bit irritating right? esp since it has nothing to do with bmws and isn't going to attract the general interest of the members here.

i don't know you personally but a close friend of mine does. and he says you're a very nice person.. so i'm not flaming you. i'm just explaining why sometimes the kinda reaction you get in this forum isn't totally appreciative.

you write really well.. i hope at some point you'll offer a nice read on cars other than porsches..

cheers dude.

saify i know what u r saying....its like u going to an orphanage in ethiopia n asking why the boys there r so skinny?

or

like me walking to a primary school n saying the boys there hv small kkj tio bo??

totoseow;266929 said:
saify i know what u r saying....its like u going to an orphanage in ethiopia n asking why the boys there r so skinny?

or

like me walking to a primary school n saying the boys there hv small kkj tio bo??

ok.... toto..... you may know what i'm saying but i dunno what you are saying...................... :shock:

Saify, don't feel that way. For the last 25 posts I made, I categorize my posts this way:

Porsche: 7
Rims: 4
Washing cars: 1
Attempts at humour: 1
Transmission: 3
Windscreen and Insurance: 2
Power Steering issues: 1
BMW and Merc tuning: 5
Braking tech: 1

So 18/25 posts (72%) are not Porsche related. I guess you feel that way because when I write about porkies you are more sensitized than me writing about things you may not be interested in and you don't look into the threads.

To be honest, I am not the type which goes for a rear engined car at all. The only reason I picked the cayman was because it was the most suitable mid engined car for the money. I have no real love for Porsches and if the NSX were available today in manual 6 with new tech inside, I'd jump at it in an instant.

I love the way the Cayman drives, but I don't love it as I would definitely love a car I have lusted for a decade. Say, an NSX. There is nothing really much to love about a Cayman to be honest, save the way it drives.

Honestly speaking, with the article in this thread, I didn't even read it before I posted, it was really an interesting piece because of the anachronistic rear engined 911 vs all the modern form factor contest. Interesting, no? It's not about Porsche only.

I find Porsche boring, truly. A study of Porsche is a study about history and marketing not tech. You want interesting look at Audi and BMW, and lately Mercedes.

Anyway, I come to this forum not because of BMW but this forum has the proper mix of people and car enthusiasm. I would love more talk about BMWs and their new tech, unfortunately, nobody in this forum seems to care about BMW or even mention the incredible strides that BMW has made in fuel efficiency compared to EVERYONE else. I wrote some pieces on energy return system on the M3, but few were interested though. I wrote a piece about brakes and nobody was interested. It's OK that nobody is interested, google will pick it up for somebody's reference in the future for what it's worth, but I am hardcore automotive tech and NOT Porsche centric actually.

It's easy to misunderstand me as a Porsche flag bearer though, but try to see in perspective in the threads you don't monitor. I'm old enough not to be so much of a fanboy, really, that's what you need to consider before branding me as one.

It's nice that you brought up the topic, I constantly labour under the concern that people will label me a flag waving fanboy, your post gives me the opportunity to clear things up. Part of the reason why I got a WHITE car and not a Speed Yellow one ... I hate the `ya ya papaya branding' which goes with ownership of a P-car.

saifywaify;266927 said:
i can't help but say this.. almost every one of your posts are porsche biased. i don't post much these days but i do read up on most threads daily.. and you're all porsche porsche porsche.

you must really love your cayman alot. hey, i love my cars too. we won't be here if we weren't car enthusiasts :)

but just imagine if i keep talking about my dc5 here.. telling you about how it is one of the best fwd cars bla bla bla.. :)amijdm:) and how i like playing with gtis.. etc. a bit irritating right? esp since it has nothing to do with bmws and isn't going to attract the general interest of the members here.

i don't know you personally but a close friend of mine does. and he says you're a very nice person.. so i'm not flaming you. i'm just explaining why sometimes the kinda reaction you get in this forum isn't totally appreciative.

you write really well.. i hope at some point you'll offer a nice read on cars other than porsches..

cheers dude.

i rest my case.

geez you counted your posts??

so why are the rest pretenders anyway..

saifywaify;266944 said:
ok.... toto..... you may know what i'm saying but i dunno what you are saying...................... :shock:
saify, toto is under the impression that a fucked up yaya papaya bastard like me, feel so big owning a P-car come into poor man's BMW forum and laugh at everybody for having a BMW only not something bigger.

The truth is that most of your 335s outcost the baby Porker, and your mods outcost my 5 year budget for maintenance, but that's irrelevant. What's relevant is that I don't give a flying piss on what car you drive as long as you made the decision based on the merits of your needs and not on image. I'd laugh at a Merc S600 V12 Biturbo owner with 22 inch rims for example. Also laugh at a F430 Scud owner who specified leather dash, or a GT3 owner who converted his car to automatic transmission.

Anyway, can't blame anybody since language is limited in expression and I haven't met most of you in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vatlieumoi
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back