Question on Intepretation of Anti-Corruption Law

kenntona

Legendary 10 Years
Say you are a chief editor of a magazine - you write reviews on product X, you are deemed to be influential given your position in the company.

Company of Product X gives you (AND ONLY YOU) an expensive gift - no one else in the company has the same benefit. The gift can be construed to be an INDUCEMENT/GRATIFICATION for the editor writing favourable reviews.

What should you do to avoid falling under the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) and the Penal Code? How should the company's regulations dictate insofar as employees' declaration of such gifts?

What would you do if you are the editor?

Re: Question on Intepretation of Anti-Corruption Law

kenntona;1034882 said:
Say you are a chief editor of a magazine - you write reviews on product X, you are deemed to be influential given your position in the company.

Company of Product X gives you (AND ONLY YOU) an expensive gift - no one else in the company has the same benefit. The gift can be construed to be an INDUCEMENT/GRATIFICATION for the editor writing favourable reviews.

What should you do to avoid falling under the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) and the Penal Code? How should the company's regulations dictate insofar as employees' declaration of such gifts?

Bring client to KTV is considered a form of corruption?

F1 ticket!

LEgalise anything that you want to do first before doing anything. That way, you won't be seen to be breaking any laws or regulations. Dealer wins!!

Clean option is hv someone else write pdt review or hv gift donated away or even recycled as d&d lucky draw. if intention is to retain, set up conflict of interest rules internally (most public co have this esp mnc) & hv transparency so this is perceived to be less 1 on 1 relationship.

Right answer : decline gift and write impartial review.
Wrong answer : take gift and praise the product to Heaven.

Answer can be right or wrong, everybody has a price...see all the recent public cases:shhhh:

Where I used to work, we have a $50 gift limit, anything above that we suppose to report to HR...and yes that includes mooncakes! Of course mostly close one eye distribute n eat in office la.

hoks;1034905 said:
Right answer : decline gift and write impartial review.
Wrong answer : take gift and praise the product to Heaven.

Answer can be right or wrong, everybody has a price...see all the recent public cases:shhhh:

Where I used to work, we have a $50 gift limit, anything above that we suppose to report to HR...and yes that includes mooncakes! Of course mostly close one eye distribute n eat in office la.
That's the way most MNC is heading these days with tonnes of compliances. Yes, including mooncakes which is rediculous but that's the policy. Government sector practices is to decline whenever possible since they're under the microscope these days.

The right thing to do is to give the expensive gift to me. Confirm no problem.
In addition I provide free pickup from anywhere within Singapore, JB and Batam.
PM me

KTV - categorised under entertainment? I don't know, since I don't visit these places. I am a clean man.

F1 Ticket - yes, very expensive package of sorts. Strangely, it wasn't given to all editors. Worse, friend humblebragged it on social media, raising eyebrows. Some of his colleagues joked about reporting him to CPIB. I told him there is no Cecilia, no Serina, no Sun involved, bo hua.....

Regarding company policy, my industry (finance) is strict. But to each his own. I agree that given the conflict of interests in the job nature vis-a-vis the specificity of the gift, there is an element of corruption given the inducement factor. My take is of a full disclosure nature, but I am still wondering if there is any breach of legality at all.

go to pawn shop and exchange for money.
use money to invite kenntona for a bar top strip dance for company event.

You just declare to your mgmt. Giver has to state that gift is to the company, attention to you.

PCA bypassed.

secret gift. PCA kicks in under "inducement".

u owe me one ktv session.

kenntona;1034930 said:
KTV - categorised under entertainment? I don't know, since I don't visit these places. I am a clean man.

like this u also dare to say......u dirty uncle better watch out for lightning & thunder!

Dinosaur hunter;1034891 said:
Bring client to KTV is considered a form of corruption?

Bring client to KTV..... client uses his card to pay.....
After that u pass him cash..........

C3P0 teach me 1...........

milk15 said:
Bring client to KTV..... client uses his card to pay.....
After that u pass him cash..........

C3P0 teach me 1...........

Why bother? Company bill, claim against P&L attributable to this client what......

kenntona;1034977 said:
Why bother? Company bill, claim against P&L attributable to this client what......

Like that got evidence...............

kenntona;1034977 said:
Actually it is from the point of the client. Example:
Guni treat his client Justin to KTV. If Justin accepts it, could become corruption and bribery.
However, if Justin pays himself using card, then no corruption since Justin pays himself mah.

Then Guni gives Justin cash. How Guni claims from his company is another matter. Most probably won't tag to the client. Just general entertainment expenses.

Like that no evidence that Guni paid for Justin's entertainment.

Guni teach me one.

kenntona;1034930 said:
F1 Ticket - yes, very expensive package of sorts. Strangely, it wasn't given to all editors......

Btw most of hospitality suites are pre-booked by seasoned sponsors to host clients, and they play musical chair year in year out. Some year you are in(vited) and some year you will be out.
If you have an invite this year consider yourself lucky. The rest have to figure out how to sneak into ME@UOE and catch Paris Hilton at work dishing out her famous 'auditory car crash'.

C3P0 said:
Actually it is from the point of the client. Example:
Guni treat his client Justin to KTV. If Justin accepts it, could become corruption and bribery.
However, if Justin pays himself using card, then no corruption since Justin pays himself mah.

Then Guni gives Justin cash. How Guni claims from his company is another matter. Most probably won't tag to the client. Just general entertainment expenses.

Like that no evidence that Guni paid for Justin's entertainment.

Guni teach me one.

Yeah and Justin took CASH from Guni without declaring. Worse.

LaMWyer, you forgot abt mens rea....

Got intention or not??

My company always tell us . If in doubt . Check with yr superior :)

Then my superior will be damn Bo eng.

kenntona;1034882 said:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatimaallen
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back