Ron 95 or 98 for better mileage?

hurrican3

Hi all.. I know this topic has been brought up many time before and in other forums as well.

From what I know 98 gives better power and was recommended in all previous generations of BMWs. Just took delivery of my ActivHybrid 3 which runs on a 335i engine. The petrol door recommends 95 although its stated that I can accept anything from 91 to 98. I've tried both so far but can't make out the difference in terms of which gives better mileage. Possibly due to different routes and traffic conditions.

Anyone here know which would give better mileage?

Re: Ron 95 or 98 for better mileage?

My experience same as you. Both give about same mileage. But 98 gives a better driving feel than 95. Less sluggishness

+1 ........

lim_ck;975641 said:
My experience same as you. Both give about same mileage. But 98 gives a better driving feel than 95. Less sluggishness

Tried em all.. 92, 95, 97, 98, V power. Only difference is my credit card bill.

Bmw recommends 91 octane and up. If you are tracking and want to clock best timing maybe buy some race fuel. If not.. seriously why waste money on fancy V power? My humble 2 cents

Ron 95 or 98 for better mileage?

Acoustix;975667 said:
Tried em all.. 92, 95, 97, 98, V power. Only difference is my credit card bill.

Bmw recommends 91 octane and up. If you are tracking and want to clock best timing maybe buy some race fuel. If not.. seriously why waste money on fancy V power? My humble 2 cents

Since you've tried all which gives the best mileage when it boils down to dollars per km?

They are all about the same in mixed driving. Overall mileage became poorer after upsizing rims from stock 17" to 19".

Mileage consistently good on highway cruise driving and consistently terrible if I drive like a madman. Imho petrol grade doesn't give me any marked improvement in either power or mileage.

What's the price of petrol per liter?

What's the price of BMW?

As long as you don't have a tune that would need a higher Ron or if your car is stock then this would be true .....

Had the pleasure of pumping ron95 cos it was the attendant's 2nd day and she saw wrongly the pump for ron98, which i reminded her twice. (Lucky din say ron 95 as she may have mistakenly pumped diesel instead).

The fc shown on the onboard computer also dropped... it actually felt smoother.... as i was driving slowly anyway.

If not much diff, maybe i shud just stick with the cheaper version....

Last edited by a moderator:

Using SPC 95, 50-50 road-highway, comfort mode bout 10.5km per liter, sports mode bout 8.5km per liter.

v power does make the car run smoother, acceleration improve too, tired and tested.
used to thought that v power fuel is just a marketing gimmick, but i have a friend that work in shell refinery, according to him,they do add in extra addictives to v power fuel, so rest assure your money is well spent.

ps:i am not working for shell haha

saintdagon;975741 said:
v power does make the car run smoother, acceleration improve too, tired and tested.
used to thought that v power fuel is just a marketing gimmick, but i have a friend that work in shell refinery, according to him,they do add in extra addictives to v power fuel, so rest assure your money is well spent.

i think its also dependent on the make. I read a report some years ago that mentioned certain makes actually run better or are more efficient (sorry can't remember) on regular rather than premium e.g. Honda Accord...
My cousin working for Exxon told me its all the same across brands, meaning the best fuel grade at one place is similar to the best fuel grade at the next place :) i guess thats true except for SPC because i heard not so good reviews abt them.

saintdagon;975741 said:

That is very true and may i add.... the additive used in SG V-Power and MY V-Power are different too. Basically the additive for SG is meant for city driving i.e. Provides slightly better response & acceleration over regular 98 while the additive for MY is meant for highway driving i.e. resulting in better overall mileage over regular 98.

Note: I too do not work for Shell or have any connection with Shell.

Give your best feed to your ultimate driving machine...

Samuel Tan See Teng;975752 said:
Give your best feed to your ultimate driving machine...

Only downside is got to feed yourself the best hawker centre.:uhhh:

my e90 has better pickup with v-power compared to 98. mileage improved from 9.5 to 10 km/l.

Ya I gotta agree, I tried V-power a month back when they had the V-prower at the same price of 98 promo. Can tell a slight difference in engine noise and pickup, as well as mileage was better.

But ya,, I'm back to 98 now cause I don't want to pay so much. lol

Surprisingly F30 manual recommended BP fuel. :)
Used 98 most of them and once a while VPower.

hurrican3;975635 said:
Hi all.. I know this topic has been brought up many time before and in other forums as well.

From what I know 98 gives better power and was recommended in all previous generations of BMWs. Just took delivery of my ActivHybrid 3 which runs on a 335i engine. The petrol door recommends 95 although its stated that I can accept anything from 91 to 98. I've tried both so far but can't make out the difference in terms of which gives better mileage. Possibly due to different routes and traffic conditions.

Anyone here know which would give better mileage?

Hi hurrican3, you're driving a ActivHybrid 3.
Just pump Ron98 or V-Power and enjoy the performance :drool:
If worried about FC, keep the car in Eco Pro :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hema
Back