Sharing: Creaks and Cracks in the cabin

kevkie

Sharing : Creaks and cracks in the cabin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

My E90 320i had lots of creaking and cracking sound from the doors and I was initially thinking that the door panels were somehow loose and something inside the panel was causing it. The sounds get worse when driving over uneven surfaces or when driving off from a dead stop. They sound like pop corn popping to me.

I initially wanted to send my car to my longtime ICE installer to try to sound proof the panels but I chanced upon my mechanic and he shared with me that this is a common complaint with E60/5 Series owners. The sound gets worse when you drive over uneven roads or when you move off from a dead stop. However, he said that he has a fix for the 5 Series and asked if I wanted to give it a try. His boss who drives a 525i shared with me that he had to use this solution too and it worked for him and many otherof his customers too.

Apparently BMW worldwide is aware of this problem too and the solution actually came from them. It involves using a kind of tape (think of it like cellophane tape, sticky on one side and not sticky on the other, and translucent but not as smooth or slippery on the surface) which is provided only by BMW which is stuck all along the upper door frames of the car from the A to C pillar.

I told my mech I would give it a try since I had no other solutions in mind and that I was not entirely convinced that my door panels were the cause anyway. So in 10 mins, the tape was measures and carefully applied on one side of my car, and we took my car out for a test drive...guess what, dead silence from the side with the tape. I was already smiling like a fool.We rushed back to the workshop, applied the tape on the other side of my car, and went out again. Total silence!!! My mech said "Its only now that you are convinced you are driving a BMW right?"....hahahhaha....now my cabin is so quiet I am picking out other small creaks from other areas which honestly even my wife who sits beside me cant hear....the cabin is soooooo silent now.

All in all, it cost me RM400, freaking expensive for just tape but I was told that the tape cant be purchased anywhere else except from BMW. I am not sure if thats really true, one might be able to experiment with other types of tape to see if they work at a fraction of the cost (3M products are your best bet), but I am convinced that the method and tape that my workshop used does indeed work flawlessly and because of the translucency and texture (this tape can be applied on any body colour and it will seem to just blend it) of the tape, it is almost not noticeable at all.

Not too sure how many of the brothers and sisters here face this issue, but I hope this helps you in finding a solution.

Happy Driving!:woottt:

Re: Sharing: Creaks and Cracks in the cabin

Its industrialised 3M magic tape. Some people have reported less creaking and cracking noises after installation of strut bar possibly due to adding rigidity to the chassis.

kevkie;534268 said:
Sharing : Creaks and cracks in the cabin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

My E90 320i had lots of creaking and cracking sound from the doors and I was initially thinking that the door panels were somehow loose and something inside the panel was causing it. The sounds get worse when driving over uneven surfaces or when driving off from a dead stop. They sound like pop corn popping to me.

I initially wanted to send my car to my longtime ICE installer to try to sound proof the panels but I chanced upon my mechanic and he shared with me that this is a common complaint with E60/5 Series owners. The sound gets worse when you drive over uneven roads or when you move off from a dead stop. However, he said that he has a fix for the 5 Series and asked if I wanted to give it a try. His boss who drives a 525i shared with me that he had to use this solution too and it worked for him and many otherof his customers too.

Apparently BMW worldwide is aware of this problem too and the solution actually came from them. It involves using a kind of tape (think of it like cellophane tape, sticky on one side and not sticky on the other, and translucent but not as smooth or slippery on the surface) which is provided only by BMW which is stuck all along the upper door frames of the car from the A to C pillar.

I told my mech I would give it a try since I had no other solutions in mind and that I was not entirely convinced that my door panels were the cause anyway. So in 10 mins, the tape was measures and carefully applied on one side of my car, and we took my car out for a test drive...guess what, dead silence from the side with the tape. I was already smiling like a fool.We rushed back to the workshop, applied the tape on the other side of my car, and went out again. Total silence!!! My mech said "Its only now that you are convinced you are driving a BMW right?"....hahahhaha....now my cabin is so quiet I am picking out other small creaks from other areas which honestly even my wife who sits beside me cant hear....the cabin is soooooo silent now.

All in all, it cost me RM400, freaking expensive for just tape but I was told that the tape cant be purchased anywhere else except from BMW. I am not sure if thats really true, one might be able to experiment with other types of tape to see if they work at a fraction of the cost (3M products are your best bet), but I am convinced that the method and tape that my workshop used does indeed work flawlessly and because of the translucency and texture (this tape can be applied on any body colour and it will seem to just blend it) of the tape, it is almost not noticeable at all.

Not too sure how many of the brothers and sisters here face this issue, but I hope this helps you in finding a solution.

Happy Driving!:woottt:
yeah its a know problem. several of us have got the friction tape applied at the AD and its silent there after.

My micky mouse car has the screetching sound which is caused by thesafety belt lock rubbing on the side of the driver seat...try putting leather cream on the side of the seat but no help...still trying to think what to apply...

My window has rubbing sound when open and close due to the rubber moulding around the glass and stil searching for the right rubber grease...

zorro;535345 said:
My micky mouse car has the screetching sound which is caused by thesafety belt lock rubbing on the side of the driver seat...try putting leather cream on the side of the seat but no help...still trying to think what to apply...

My window has rubbing sound when open and close due to the rubber moulding around the glass and stil searching for the right rubber grease...
try applying felt tape to ur setbelt buckle

got to put the topic of door creaks and friction tape fix as stickies.. all generation of bimmers..e39s; e60s; e90s and so on .. creaks and posts after posts has been discussed on the fixes..

pml does it for free and they are so good at it after doing thousands of cars!? no?

pml has mastered the art of plastering 3M friction tape
this one i will give credit to them :D

zag;535419 said:
got to put the topic of door creaks and friction tape fix as stickies.. all generation of bimmers..e39s; e60s; e90s and so on .. creaks and posts after posts has been discussed on the fixes..

pml does it for free and they are so good at it after doing thousands of cars!? no?
not for free if ur warranty has expired

wt_know;535431 said:
pml has mastered the art of plastering 3M friction tape
this one i will give credit to them :D
i have mastered the art of 3M felt tape. ai felt mai?

Slater;535436 said:
not for free if ur warranty has expired

almost all (call it exaggeration...) bimmers creaks at it leaves the delivery center as it inches down the slopes from upper level.... the drive way is grated so it is a good test for cabin noise..
i know mines did on day 1.. and i just shrugged it off....

if one ignored the creaks and wait till the warranty is out to claim a free 3m tape.. well they deserve to pay...

zag;535463 said:
almost all (call it exaggeration...) bimmers creaks at it leaves the delivery center as it inches down the slopes from upper level.... the drive way is grated so it is a good test for cabin noise..

if one ignored the creaks and wait till the warranty is out to claim a free 3m tape.. well they deserve to pay...
haha. totally agree.

we did encounter a few lucky souls in here who did not experience creeks till after 3 yrs. or maybe each individuals tolerence to noise is diff.

Anyone knows the model/part number of this 3M tape?

silverbeam;536525 said:
Anyone knows the model/part number of this 3M tape?

I tried looking for the 3m tape in home fix and ntuc bt could nt find..came across this sonax lubricant..after Tat I feel like driving a Lexus!! Super quiet!! 

where did u buy the sonax lub and where did u apply to?

Any pictures of these tapes installation and where to fix them?

hi guys,wana check beside pml?is there any other wrkshop that can do it?

zag;535463 said:

Only within the first 2 years PML will do it for free....

This is interesting... i was still worried that pml cant fix the issue with the sound. Now i know.. gonna make a appointment to get it fixed. Another interesting observation i made abt the creaks sound on my car is that it disappears after a car wash! As the car gets 'dirty' after a few days, it come back again... funny..

well, my e36 had no creaks but to my horror, my e46 does..sianz..

Can anyone share how to reduce it and I am willing to learn from the shifu? Thanks in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taisunwinvn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back