Sharing: Creaks and Cracks in the cabin

Re: Sharing: Creaks and Cracks in the cabin

Slater, how much does it cost?

Anyway quick update, it's day 3, raining heavily for the past 2 days... My car is still dead silent. When I used grease, creaks started coming back slowly after 3 days, so this is an improvement already. Will update again next week.

detach8;568394 said:
Slater, how much does it cost?
25 to 30 bucks dude. no more. if u r a PML customer have 10% discount i believe.

detach8;568395 said:
Anyway quick update, it's day 3, raining heavily for the past 2 days... My car is still dead silent. When I used grease, creaks started coming back slowly after 3 days, so this is an improvement already. Will update again next week.
this i gotta try. reapplication can be real tiring at hard to reach places.

thanks!

Slater;568451 said:
this i gotta try. reapplication can be real tiring at hard to reach places.

thanks!

Dude the place to rub on isn't hard to reach at all. It runs along the top of the doors. You don't have to touch the spongy piece of soft rubber that runs around the door. In short..

Still, $2 for my talcum powder. 2 bottles some more (buy 1 get 1 free promo heh) can use till u drop.

detach8;568502 said:
Dude the place to rub on isn't hard to reach at all. It runs along the top of the doors. You don't have to touch the spongy piece of soft rubber that runs around the door. In short..

Still, $2 for my talcum powder. 2 bottles some more (buy 1 get 1 free promo heh) can use till u drop.
iam not rubbing the powder on my door trims. more for the fodable roof and boot area of my Z.

Slater;568505 said:
iam not rubbing the powder on my door trims. more for the fodable roof and boot area of my Z.

Wow I didn't know even the Z has these problems...

detach8;568554 said:
Wow I didn't know even the Z has these problems...
its not a Z specific problem. more like a rubber problem with BMW's. the rubber trims they use are very durable and tough, but also creates alot of friction for some reason.

alot of the noise u hear, even when it seems not plausible, is actually a result of the friction with the rubber. grease them up and the noise disappears.

for door creaking, we should grease the rubber (soft) at the door-panel or the rubber at the door-body (hard) ?
i got friction tape over the door-body. if i'm anal about tiny bit sound, i need to grease over the friction tape ?

PML dun use friction tape anymore. They insert a triangular rubber strip in between the car body frame and the hard plastic. Just got my car back. Dead silent. My ear feels blocked. Ha ha

wt_know;568574 said:
for door creaking, we should grease the rubber (soft) at the door-panel or the rubber at the door-body (hard) ?
i got friction tape over the door-body. if i'm anal about tiny bit sound, i need to grease over the friction tape ?
the purpose of friction tape is to prevent friction between rubber and the black window trims. u shld be greasing rubber.

for my E90 the door creaks are the hard rubber. soft rubber doesnt need lube at all but it doesnt hurt to apply some tyre shine to keep it supple.

Quick update, it's more than a week and my car is still dead silent from the talcum powder treatment. Any other bros tried it? I'm very happy with this $2 fix. Downside is I'm hearing other noises like sometimes there's a konk when I go over hard bumps.

Hon, care to show a pic of the triangular strip?

my sharing:

minor clicking noise from the dash for those with 318 lci gps.

managed to isolate the noise to the gps clip - put an insulator btw the gps clip and the dash. noise is gone.

cheers.

( :

how you insulate it ? i got the noise too !!!

chershen;571114 said:
my sharing:

minor clicking noise from the dash for those with 318 lci gps.

managed to isolate the noise to the gps clip - put an insulator btw the gps clip and the dash. noise is gone.

cheers.

( :

wt_know;571122 said:
how you insulate it ? i got the noise too !!!

bro, get the 3m foam type double sided type and place in btw the dash and the clip. wala!

Hi bros...i send in my car for the application of the 3M tape today...the noise went away for like 3 hrs after i drive off and one of the doors start to creak when i drove it out just now....

i went down to check the specific door but to my amazement...there is no tape whatsoever....just some greasy stuff....and now that specific door closes with a 'pok ping' double sound when i close it...the rest of the doors closed with a 'tud'

can any kind bros advise what is the next course of action other than booking another appointment with PML and wait for like 2 weeks and wasted 5 hrs for them to 'fix' my problem...any other DIY method to troubleshoot for the time being? Thanks!

do you mean PML tape 3 doors and left 1 door untape or they never tape the doors but only grease them ?

i remember reading some posts that PML has stopped using the 3M tape (costly?)
last post -> http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-whats-happening-my-bmw/39315-sharing-creaks-cracks-cabin-5.html

in this thread a bro posted using "talcum method", which works for him ... dead silent and can last for weeks

else, go back to PML and insist on putting 3M tape instead of gummi fledge spray/grease

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi All

I'am also driving a 318 from 2009. Having this weird sound. Like Rattling sound or knocking sound when travelling or going over uneven hump. Can't tell from where and even send my car to my regular audio shop but can't tell too.

Can anyone advise what can of problem i have? Must I go to PML and wait for their slow response.

honda;572679 said:
Hi All

I'am also driving a 318 from 2009. Having this weird sound. Like Rattling sound or knocking sound when travelling or going over uneven hump. Can't tell from where and even send my car to my regular audio shop but can't tell too.

Can anyone advise what can of problem i have? Must I go to PML and wait for their slow response.

bro read like 1-2 pages before this page... i used johnson&johnson baby powder (talcum powder) or u can use prickly heat on the black rubber on the top of the door. it's the hard rubber, not the soft one. rub some on it and your noise should go away at least for about 1 month.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back