Sharing: Creaks and Cracks in the cabin

Re: Sharing: Creaks and Cracks in the cabin

Now I got creaking sounds coming from the top of my dashboard area or the area between my I drive screen and dashboard. Still can't figure out where the sound is coming from though. Anyone encounter this before?

Had my tape around the frame done by PML free (still under warrenty)...so far no sound. I believe wear and tear, sound will be back....

I realise something... for my ride, i only had the tape around the frame of the doors.... as for a friend's ride, they paste some tape on the rubber.... funny.

I got a 2nd hand ride thats out of warranty and was creaking my nuts off... I got fed up and decided to apply tyre shine all round the rubber door seals and it stopped the creaking. I did this a few times and applied quite a bit. Didnt seem to come back yet. Worth the try as a cheap alternative to expensive tape.

Last edited by a moderator:

garbage888;563998 said:
Now I got creaking sounds coming from the top of my dashboard area or the area between my I drive screen and dashboard. Still can't figure out where the sound is coming from though. Anyone encounter this before?

now mine is more like rattling sound coming from the dash board area.

Anyways going to PML in 1 week time to have them fix my:
a) CD changer
b) rear windscreen demister
c) rattling and creaks

:shock:

Er is the rattle when idling/stationary? If so, that's likely an engine mount problem

the left 3 buttons on my e60 steering wheel sometime vibrate during driving. it is killing me as i have super dupper sensitive ears. :) applied some leather creams and it seems to be better now.

garbage888;564051 said:
Nope, it's when driving ... :(

Dude, i had this extrememly annoying problem too which seems to radiate from the dash. Previously, I tried using a several pieces of sponge to sandwich the glass from the dash internally but it didnt help.

Apparently, it is outside the the car. You need to open the bonnet and check the 2 stabiliser bars which connect from above the 2 wheels to the center. The center is covered up by a plastic piece which you can slide out and then remove. You may have to remove the 2 aircon filters before doing that. Access to that center bit is alittle restricted unless you manage to open it up entirely. There are bolts that secure the bar. You need to grease it. I sprayed that area with WD40 and there has been no creak coming from there ever since.

Hope this helps.

I found out the exact piece of rubber causing the creaks -- it's the hard rubber between the soft rubber seals and felt piece on the door. it runs on the upper side of the doors only. i applied quite a fair bit of silicone lube using a small paintbrush and the creaks are gone. i'll see how long this lasts.

OK folks, the silicone lube wears out after maybe a week, and I was told to try talcum powder.

You know what? My car is dead silent now. When I was using the silicone lube the creaks went away, but there were still some creaks when I go over hard bumps or make sharp turns in multi storey carparks. I would say the lube removed 90% creaks, but talcum powder, 99% removed. Awesome remedy.

I'll see how long this lasts.

In case you're curious why I'm trying all these stuff... I'm not willing to pay PML >$100 for a damn tape. Our kind of weather parking under hot sun will degrade the adhesives on the tape and soon enough it might leave sticky residue.

I think the talc powder will last sufficiently long.
FYI, I use Johnson&Johnson baby powder, not prickly heat :p Maybe finer.

detach8;568080 said:
OK folks, the silicone lube wears out after maybe a week, and I was told to try talcum powder.

You know what? My car is dead silent now. When I was using the silicone lube the creaks went away, but there were still some creaks when I go over hard bumps or make sharp turns in multi storey carparks. I would say the lube removed 90% creaks, but talcum powder, 99% removed. Awesome remedy.

I'll see how long this lasts.

In case you're curious why I'm trying all these stuff... I'm not willing to pay PML >$100 for a damn tape. Our kind of weather parking under hot sun will degrade the adhesives on the tape and soon enough it might leave sticky residue.

I think the talc powder will last sufficiently long.
FYI, I use Johnson&Johnson baby powder, not prickly heat :p Maybe finer.
how do u apply it without having patches of white all around the seats and rubber trims? ts gonna be dusty isnt it?

Slater;535353 said:
try applying felt tape to ur setbelt buckle

My seat belt creaking is driving me nuts - do you mean applying felt on the side of the seat belt holder or the buckle itself? I have already semi-wrapped the side of the seat belt holder which faces the centre panel of the car - but no use.

cyrus271;568107 said:
My seat belt creaking is driving me nuts - do you mean applying felt on the side of the seat belt holder or the buckle itself? I have already semi-wrapped the side of the seat belt holder which faces the centre panel of the car - but no use.
is the creaking coming from the seat belt socket (plastic piece where u plug the seat belt in) or the B pillar?

Slater;568108 said:
is the creaking coming from the seat belt socket (plastic piece where u plug the seat belt in) or the B pillar?

seems to be the socket - but i'll check the B-pillar as well now.

Slater;568091 said:
how do u apply it without having patches of white all around the seats and rubber trims? ts gonna be dusty isnt it?

Hmm how do I explain this.

Like what they do at bowling alley... pour the talcum powder on somwhere (I just pour them on the railings behind the car at the MSCP) then use a finger, dab on some, then rub them on the door seals.

Just for those who don't know, the part to rub on is the hard rubber, not the soft rubber or felt part.

THere will be some spills here and there, just use a damp cloth to wipe them off.

I will be interested to know how long it lasts without raining. Have you tried the gummiphledge from PML? And thanks for sharing this information because this is a really pervasive issue.

detach8;568128 said:
Hmm how do I explain this.

Like what they do at bowling alley... pour the talcum powder on somwhere (I just pour them on the railings behind the car at the MSCP) then use a finger, dab on some, then rub them on the door seals.

Just for those who don't know, the part to rub on is the hard rubber, not the soft rubber or felt part.

THere will be some spills here and there, just use a damp cloth to wipe them off.

Thanks for the info

vegadonovan;568145 said:
I will be interested to know how long it lasts without raining. Have you tried the gummiphledge from PML? And thanks for sharing this information because this is a really pervasive issue.

it usually last a month or 2 before reapplication is needed

vegadonovan;568145 said:

I haven't been to PML to ask about gummiphlege since I was reading on the forums and some people said its discontinued. THe only other thing I know is that the 3M tape will cost a bomb if you get them to apply, and I'm not a fan of any sticky material since most of them are not made to withstand prolonged exposure to heat. Sure, there are adhesives that should withstand heat, water, etc. but I they will cost a bomb too.

It seems to be holding up, even in the rain (rained like mad this morning).

Hopefully somebody else can try it, then we can see how well this holds up. A larger sample size will yield more accurate results.

It's a $2 solution compared to a $100 tape. I can live with that :p

detach8;568188 said:
I haven't been to PML to ask about gummiphlege since I was reading on the forums and some people said its discontinued. THe only other thing I know is that the 3M tape will cost a bomb if you get them to apply, and I'm not a fan of any sticky material since most of them are not made to withstand prolonged exposure to heat. Sure, there are adhesives that should withstand heat, water, etc. but I they will cost a bomb too.

It seems to be holding up, even in the rain (rained like mad this morning).

Hopefully somebody else can try it, then we can see how well this holds up. A larger sample size will yield more accurate results.

It's a $2 solution compared to a $100 tape. I can live with that :p
they do still sell gummiphlege if you are interested.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88vinlol
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back