Sharing: Creaks and Cracks in the cabin

Re: Sharing: Creaks and Cracks in the cabin

check mycarforum classified. there is a worn out set of 3-series stock 16 inch rim + tyre at $250.
go fix it up and if still got sound ask them to eat their words and repay you $250 ! hehe
you must be sure the sound does not comes from your aftermarket bbk, brake pad, rotor, etc hor

by the way, if you mean the 'squeal' sound, it is normal for stock .... the squeal sound appear when you brake very slowly until full stop

Last edited by a moderator:

what lame shit, squeak sound from rims? first time i hear... +1 for wk_know

wt_know;580606 said:
check mycarforum classified. there is a worn out set of 3-series stock 16 inch rim + tyre at $250.
go fix it up and if still got sound ask them to eat their words and repay you $250 ! hehe
you must be sure the sound does not comes from your aftermarket bbk, brake pad, rotor, etc hor

by the way, if you mean the 'squeal' sound, it is normal for stock .... the squeal sound appear when you brake very slowly until full stop

Bro. Bingo! That's exactly what happen to my car. It's like "biting" sound whenever cone to a complete stop or moving off. Is that normal to BMWs?

davidtch;580605 said:
What kind of squeaking sound? Please describe in more detail.

Is is coming from front or rear brake?

Bro. As described earlier, it's like "biting" sound whenever coming to a complete stop and moving off when releasing the brake. Not sure front or rear brakes but quite loud and at times it will squeak as well. Try to bed in my brakes but still got the sound. The technician said it's normal and also claimed that it could be my aftermarket rims cos of it's heavy weight. He said nothing can be done as they had similar problems with other cars before and couldn't resolve the problem.

what i can say it's a common problem. it could happen to several-to-many cars but not every single car.
i got the squeal sound on oem bmw rim. when i report this to the SA, he said this is a common problem. i complained to him that it is worst than my previous jap ride. he said, yeah, many have complained about it too. it's normal ... pml says one !

snowmanyee;580670 said:
Bro. Bingo! That's exactly what happen to my car. It's like "biting" sound whenever cone to a complete stop or moving off. Is that normal to BMWs?

Last edited by a moderator:

snowmanyee;580674 said:
Bro. As described earlier, it's like "biting" sound whenever coming to a complete stop and moving off when releasing the brake. Not sure front or rear brakes but quite loud and at times it will squeak as well. Try to bed in my brakes but still got the sound. The technician said it's normal and also claimed that it could be my aftermarket rims cos of it's heavy weight. He said nothing can be done as they had similar problems with other cars before and couldn't resolve the problem.
Based on my limited knowledge, it is quite normal because both brake pad & rotor hard. The sound u hear are grinding sound of brake pad against rotor. My best combo to date is textar brake pad (soft) & Brembo OEM rotor (hard). The only downside is brake dust.

Lastly, creaking is normal (at least to me). Why? Because the body is damn stiff. So, where does the bump from road go to? Of course, plastic parts lah.

So it seems that the powder works for me as well. Then I remembered that the creaks came after I wiped down the seals with some rubber protectant stuffs and were there ever since. Powder makes the rubber lose traction or something. but yes finally a quiet cabin at last =)Thanks alot to the bro who chanced upon this! Detach8 thanks! lets see if this is something that lasts. anyway its worth a try because its so easy.

May I know where you apied the powder? Powder really so powderful?! Can eliminate creaks?

hey bro

1) open door
2) top of window frame
3) black velvet + rubber that comes into contact with car body
4) apply on rubber part of it. no need to put on velvet.

that's what I did and its been good so far. you can try it since it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to try it.

welcome bro, just sharing and contributing to the nice community here

the talcum powder works for the the door creaking. you apply it on the black rubber strip that runs along the top of the door... at least for my E90 3 series, that's where the culprit is. on the 3 series, there are 3 things along the seals the door:

1. the thin "furry" felt-like strip (runs only along the top of the door)
2. the hard rubber strip (runs only along the top of the door)
3. the soft sponge-like rubber strip (runs around the entire edge of the door)

you apply the talcum on #2

the easy way to do this is to pour the talcum powder on a surface, then dab your finger on some (like what you do during bowling) and then rub the powder along the seals.

there will be some mess here and there, just get a wet cloth lah.

$2 bottle of talcum, lasts probably for the lifetime of the car. no joke. my creaks started to come back after about 2 months... i'm happy to just reapply again.

davidtch;580696 said:
Based on my limited knowledge, it is quite normal because both brake pad & rotor hard. The sound u hear are grinding sound of brake pad against rotor. My best combo to date is textar brake pad (soft) & Brembo OEM rotor (hard). The only downside is brake dust.

Lastly, creaking is normal (at least to me). Why? Because the body is damn stiff. So, where does the bump from road go to? Of course, plastic parts lah.

the brakes are normal i think in most all-wheel disc brake euro cars. i had the same issue when driving the Volvo S40.

but the creaking is a no-no... there's something about the plastic shadowline trim that causes it. i am curious if the bros with chrome trim have the same problem... i think it's a combination of wrong material.

every car whether bmw, audi or thaiyota will flex... but why only bmw got this problem the moment it comes out of the delivery center?

ha... johnson&johnson baby powder, or prickly heat...

detach8;581122 said:
the brakes are normal i think in most all-wheel disc brake euro cars. i had the same issue when driving the Volvo S40.

but the creaking is a no-no... there's something about the plastic shadowline trim that causes it. i am curious if the bros with chrome trim have the same problem... i think it's a combination of wrong material.

every car whether bmw, audi or thaiyota will flex... but why only bmw got this problem the moment it comes out of the delivery center?
Pls inspect my E39. I got a few crack plastic parts that is caused by the car. This is because the car is damn stiff. Road vibration is transmitted to the plastic parts over time. The creak on my car is not caused by flex.

For brake, i change it to Textar brake pad + Brembo OEM rotor. The sound reduces.

Thanks bros for all your advice and explanation. Will do it... Though I think the sound in my cabin is not really from the door or windows but rather from some loose parts

Sent my car to pml to sort out 3 things:
1) creaking and rattling noise in cabin
2) replacement of bulb for angel eye
3) checking of onboard computer

I was disappointed that they need 3 days!!! Just shoot him a SMS to complain. the amount of taxi fare I had paid is enough for me to do a 12,000 servicing. He said just managed to do the friction tape and checking of OBC after 2 full days. Wonder what are they doing...

snowmanyee;582887 said:
Sent my car to pml to sort out 3 things:
1) creaking and rattling noise in cabin
2) replacement of bulb for angel eye
3) checking of onboard computer

I was disappointed that they need 3 days!!! Just shoot him a SMS to complain. the amount of taxi fare I had paid is enough for me to do a 12,000 servicing. He said just managed to do the friction tape and checking of OBC after 2 full days. Wonder what are they doing...

I just got PML doing the friction tape to fix my E60 creaking noise in cabin too. Can't believe paying so much for a luxury car and yet have to stick friction tape around doors to stop creaking noise? Some more have to pay taxi fare ....I was very disappointed too.

My creaking sound seems to be gone after pml replaced a defective clip and friction tape. The tape somehow seems to do wonders. However now the creaking sound from the plastic parts of the driver seat surfaced. Still creak even after oiling it. Looks like no solution to it. Maybe the quality is too lousy or the material
is too stiff and solid.

finally got this creak on the door and the powder solution works!

many thanks!!!

( :

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ole777black
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back