Should S'pore have bicycle lanes?

Should S'pore have bicycle lanes?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Should S'pore have bicycle lanes?

so far i only don't like the battery operated bicycle traveling very fast on pavement!

kenntona;877833 said:
Just think of trying to balance between the bus lanes and the cyclists lanes on Upper Thomson Road.....

BUSES VERSUS CYCLISTS..... leftest lane cyclists or bus lane? Does not look like it is even possible at all .....
Currently, the silent rule is bus lane is THE bicycle lane. I am using it daily.

iScoupe;877835 said:
so far i only don't like the battery operated bicycle traveling very fast on pavement!
Report them to TP. Anything above 20km/h is illegal.

davidtch said:
Currently, the silent rule is bus lane is THE bicycle lane. I am using it daily.

So when the bus stops, the bikes....

(a) all stop and wait for bus passengers to alight;
(b) filter right into second lane and overtake the bus risking collision with the cars; or
(c) squeeze between the bus and the bus stop and risk running down the alighting passengers?

And if the bikes are ahead of the bus and the bus gotta tail the bikes at the bikes' pace, why need the bus lanes at all?

kenntona;877846 said:
So when the bus stops, the bikes....

(a) all stop and wait for bus passengers to alight;
(b) filter right into second lane and overtake the bus risking collision with the cars; or
(c) squeeze between the bus and the bus stop and risk running down the alighting passengers?

And if the bikes are ahead of the bus and the bus gotta tail the bikes at the bikes' pace, why need the bus lanes at all?
That's why it is the SILENT rule.
a. If no space to overtake juz like car.
b. Isn't the same as car overtaking bus? Maybe a lot of cyclists are not drivers.
c. That's pure stupid.

Yes. Only overtake if got chance.

Many road problems here are due to the lack of Police or TP around to catch offenders. For this case, if we can catch and fine, fine and fine those irresponsible cyclist till their pants drop, encourage them to change their habits, or else use public transport since the fines made cycling to work uneconomical.

davidtch;877818 said:
Look at the Penang example. This is the only feasible option, bicycle lane within existing lane.

+1. Any motorist entering the double-use lane will have to make room if there are cyclists. Any cyclist who gets onto non-double-use lanes will be responsible for himself. A bit like the dotted-line bus lanes - give way if there are buses, otherwise it's free to use.

And yes, driving a BMW and paying road tax doesn't make you a VIP.

Oilman;877992 said:
+1. Any motorist entering the double-use lane will have to make room if there are cyclists. Any cyclist who gets onto non-double-use lanes will be responsible for himself. A bit like the dotted-line bus lanes - give way if there are buses, otherwise it's free to use.

And yes, driving a BMW and paying road tax doesn't make you a VIP.
Of course cannot behave like VIP, bcos some people don't drive BMW, they literally practices it.... BusMrtWalk :lol:

this is a pointless thread, just like the pro-FT vs anti-FT argument...

Everyone here preaches objectivity in their posts but all of you are just biased one way or another, not in this thread but when faced with actual situations. When I see a group of serious cyclists in orderly fashion, observe all traffic rules, I will respect them and they actually wave "thanks" to me..life is so beautiful and I will post "LET CYCLISTS HAVE RIGHTS OF THE ROADS AS WELL U NUMBSKULLS"

then some ah tiong plays with his cb handphone while cycling and then cuts into my lane happily almost colliding with my expensive just polished BMW and then looks at me like I am an axe murderer, I will horn him till my battery runs out and then fcuk his mother father brother sister whole family tree up till Ming Dynasty and then I will post "GET THESE ASSHOLE CYCLISTS OFF THE FCKUING STREETS!"

So tell me, how do I give an objective view on whether cyclists should have their own lanes or not?

when an accident with a cyclist happens, why is the general assumption that the cyclist is at fault?

even so, does the cyclist have to pay with his/her life? Whilst other motorist sit in the comfortable protection of their vehicles?

as for making cycling to work uneconomical, i don't get what you are trying to say - that cycling is more expensive than bus, MRT or walk? pls read my earlier post about cyclists in general.

why can't we just give cyclists some breathing space? 1.5m is just half a lane.

XXX;877929 said:
Many road problems here are due to the lack of Police or TP around to catch offenders. For this case, if we can catch and fine, fine and fine those irresponsible cyclist till their pants drop, encourage them to change their habits, or else use public transport since the fines made cycling to work uneconomical.

MW;878005 said:
........So tell me, how do I give an objective view on whether cyclists should have their own lanes or not?
How about give an objective view based on feasibility on this Red Dot?

Baby1M;878015 said:
How about give an objective view based on feasibility on this Red Dot?

objectively, as today no cyclist has waved thanks to me or cut into my path, I would say "anything can be done" but not on all roads...just the "hot spots" where serious cyclists go to..These are the traffic observing ones as far as I can see...cos I see them all the time in Changi coastal roads. I don't see ah tiongs or bangla cyclists go such "hot spots" often

But like everyone says, give ALL cyclists some space, some..cos "some" can be 1.5 lanes, and "some" can be "0.5 lanes"

I stopped recreational road cycling after encountering too many near misses, antagonistic drivers trying to drive you off the roads, reckless drivers who overtake you within 1.5 car lengths to make that left turn, taxis / drivers who overtake you within 2 car lengths, no signal...then jams brake in front of you to pick up a passenger standing by the road side..... And the list goes on.....

Then my wife pleaded teary eyed with me to stop cos of our young family...... Not worth getting killed.....

MW;878005 said:
this is a pointless thread, just like the pro-FT vs anti-FT argument...

Halo this is The Lounge leh.

Oilman;878025 said:
Halo this is The Lounge leh.

yah I know but u can see tempers flaring liao and best thing is nobody's wrong...cos everyone is speaking from experience one way or another, either as cyclist and/or driver

To start, most cyclists in East Coast Park can't even use the damn dedicated cycle track to cycle. Instead they use the jogger's track to reign supremacy. Secondly, I think majority of local cyclists are very disciplined and observe safety and proper lineup.

The expat cyclists mainly Angmo's are the rude and recalcitrant bunch that thinks that cyclists are more superior over motorists. This isnt Europe or America where the public transport system has specifically been designed to accommodate cyclists and providing them with rights and amenities. In Singapore, we don't have the space to accommodate such an extent of law that covers full and complete rights like on Europe or America. I think the problem lies with the fact that our motoring culture and tolerance towards cyclists are due to the fact that our roads are already congested as it is.

Let's be logical about one thing. If we do have the space to construct such lanes, then it is a matter of accepting this concept and embracing it so that both cyclists and motorists can co-exist on the road in harmony. Singapore can do it if they want to and enforce special rights over cyclists. Looking at how congested our roads are today, it will cause only more accidents and intolerances taking into account that the road discipline on our roads are only getting from bad to worse.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

jasonmaxima;878022 said:
I stopped recreational road cycling after encountering too many near misses, antagonistic drivers trying to drive you off the roads, reckless drivers who overtake you within 1.5 car lengths to make that left turn, taxis / drivers who overtake you within 2 car lengths, no signal...then jams brake in front of you to pick up a passenger standing by the road side..... And the list goes on.....

Then my wife pleaded teary eyed with me to stop cos of our young family...... Not worth getting killed.....
Just to share - I stopped cycling after I witnessed (i was on right lane of 2 lanes) an accident along Rochor road couple of years back. A taxi in front of me, suddenly cut into left lane (no signal) and stopped, next moment I hear a bang (I just passed the taxi), instantly I took a quick left glance and noticed a cyclist rolling off the taxi's roof, bonnet and landed on the ground in front of taxi (noticed from rear view mirror).

Since then I decided to minus 1 danger to my life, I stopped cycling altogether. Pointless to continue since its so dangerous, there r other safer hobbies or healthy lifestyle to adapt to.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are good cyclists and there are bad cyclists.
There are good drivers and there are bad drivers.
Must be graceful to each other to make this world a better place.

Blackcookie teach me one.

my conclusion:

1. bike lanes hv limited impact. i do not think they solve anything. bike lanes will attract all kinds. kiddy bikes/bmx/ah tiongs/bangras/serious cyclists. its like hving a lambo n a van in one lane. u build a bike lane....it will give everyone who has a bicycle the right to go in. my gut feeling says u gonna hv more deaths more accidents..bike lanes resolve nothing.

seruous cyclists need a 30-60km ride at least. i only know of one route than u can draw a continuous 60km...thats thomson to mandai to neo tew to jln buroh to pasir panjang, kentridge farrer lornie back to thomson...n thats only for serious cyclists. how about the people from the east? again bike lanes if implemented can only happen outside CBD areas. in the sub urbs. n only maybe say from 9pm to 8am...maybe all day on week ends.

2. ALL cyclists need to carry some form of licence to be on the road. otherwise u stay on PCNs. so a limited form of highway code perhaps.

3. policing. on both sides. errant cyclists n errant motorists who think their road tax is king. this is prob most important.

4. awareness.....but this is a long term thing which includes education + policing. i believe this is more effective than building bike lanes. i also firmly believe that if singaporeans r more gracious...it solves more problems than cyclists vs motorists. heck..we cant even get along with ppl driving other cars.. we r just a nation of selfish self centered people. we cant even agree on who gets to seat in the MRT. we r horrible road users. with or without the cyclists. cyclists r just convenient targets.

we hv 500hp cars n we hv 100hp cars...its the same for cycling. some ride at 40kmh. bangras n ah tiongs ride at 10kmh.....n sometimes agst traffic flow. we r the same n not the same...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debet39com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back