Should S'pore have bicycle lanes?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Should S'pore have bicycle lanes?

Baby1M;878982 said:
Can someone provide an answer please? Or educate?

shld b A. That means drivers shld try to provide that space for cyclist.

drive with caution, ride with caution....be alert. Exercise road courtesy. Give way to the weaker ones then all is good.

by giving way to a cyclist that results in slowing you down for a few seconds won't kill your day.

toto, when u ride, u give way to me..I am King of the road now haha

golfgti;879087 said:
shld b A. That means drivers shld try to provide that space for cyclist.
I think should be A too but there r cyclist with mentality of C since many has been spotted riding that way... so r we allowed ignore 2 outer cyclist (on the right) and just roll them over while leaving e extreme left cyclist safe and proper?

Don't get me wrong, I just have this hunch (which I maybe wrong)... bcoz I even saw 3 cyclist wearing the '1.5m matters' but they are cycling side-by-side and not in a single file.

totoseow;879801 said:
the answer is B.
Okay.
Let's assume, e 1.5m bicycle lane marking do happen, how r they going to mark? Use #.#m + 1.5m or get someone to sit on bicycle as an estimate + 1.5m? For e latter, as it was also highlighted that different cyclist different size.

Baby1M;879993 said:
Okay.
Let's assume, e 1.5m bicycle lane marking do happen, how r they going to mark? Use #.#m + 1.5m or get someone to sit on bicycle as an estimate + 1.5m? For e latter, as it was also highlighted that different cyclist different size.

first, different cyclist size comment..i wud ignore. its a pretty dumb post.

2nd, this 1.5m 'advise' is a campaign thats on going..without hving the lanes as considerations

totoseow;880007 said:

2nd, this 1.5m 'advise' is a campaign thats on going..without hving the lanes as considerations
1st - was inserted not as a question perse but as unrelated humour :lol:

2nd - thanks for e input :)

totoseow;880007 said:

what if the cyclist is right in the middle of the left lane, or 2 cyclists side by side, then the 1.5m on the right goes into the 2nd lane? So that case a car shouldnt give 1.5m to cyclist right?

IN OTHER NEWS...

Cyclist Lance Armstrong will be stripped of his record seven Tour de France titles and banned from the sport for life, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said.
:ultrasho:

Hmm I thought everyone on the Tour dopes :p

Speaking of which, has anyone doped for IPPT's 2.4? Hee hee. Ok end of OT.

I replied to this discussion at togoparts:

Togoparts.com - Asia Cycling Forums - Who pays for roads in Sg?

Thought I should share the same here...

I think some people are just damn narrow minded. It's not about road tax, ERP or COE. It's about your own safety when cycling.

Law says you can ride on the road. It does not say you *must* ride on the road if you feel it's not safe. There are park connectors. Hell screw it, even if there's no park connectors I will *still* choose to ride on the pavement.

Same goes for nobody says you *can* walk on the road, but some people still choose to walk on the road.

And some cocks still choose to cycle 2 abreast on a busy or narrow road. I know the law says you *can*, doesn't mean you *should*. This shows how selfish people can get. Bicycles are slow moving vehicles, and if you want to talk about rules of the road, then bikes should jolly well KEEP LEFT.

I am for cycling on pavements, illegal or not.. my safety is my top priority. If the roads are too busy to cycle on, I'll get on the pavement. On pavements bicycles should give way to human pedestrians, that's about all we need to do for a peaceful society. I don't know which civil service idiot said we can't cycle on pavements. They should shoot themselves.

Why not on the road? Because first our roads are getting too crowded with bus lane and all it poses even more danger to a cyclist AND other road users. The bicycle is slow and fragile. Riding alongside a road with bus or lorry going at twice our speed is so damn dangerous. People have to swerve to get away from crazy ass cyclists swinging left to right trying to pedal hard to keep up with road traffic speeds.

Secondly there are lots of traffic rules to abide to when using the roads. A lot of cyclist do not follow these rules. They cycle on the road, then turn onto padestrian crossings when they meet a red light, or simply beat the light, or turn into filter lanes, or cycle across zebra crossings. Just a few examples of the many many crazy cyclists I've seen.

There's no control over bicycles on the road. There's no license plates to identify a person, there's no (legislative) need to know road traffic rules to ride on the road, there's no speed limit, no traffic camera, nothing basically to enforce that bicycles must adhere to traffic rules.

And if you start telling me because you have a road bike hence you need to cycle on the road, then I can tell you I have a Ferrari and I should race on the roads too.

It's not always about the money. Your life is worth more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

golfgti;880025 said:
what if the cyclist is right in the middle of the left lane, or 2 cyclists side by side, then the 1.5m on the right goes into the 2nd lane? So that case a car shouldnt give 1.5m to cyclist right?

i think its common sense. i have hope, that singaporean drivers do possess some. if 2 cyclists r cycling side by side. if i am in a car i will be taking the next lane. instead of trying to measure 1.5m.

if im cycling alone. i will not stay on the yellow line. i will be 1m away from the kerbs.

Haha ya common sense has to prevail. If drivers here can't even keep to lanes marked out by painted lines, good luck maintaining an invisible gap to a moving cyclist :uhhh:

All being said, right or wrong, legal or illegal, stupid idiotic selfish cyclist or driver.....everyone has their own opinion. End of the day, I do not believe that a driver would consciously prove his point by running into a cyclist or a cyclist purposely inviting death by riding haphazardly all over the road.

Cycling is a dangerous sport, accidents happens and there are risks involved. When the day comes when I cannot accept the risk, I will stop cycling. There is always a choice.

To you its a sport, to some it may be a transport. You as the cyclist make the choice.

Giving people fines for cycling on pavement is stupid. Where safety is concerned the law should aim to protect not antagonize.

Bat69;880153 said:
All being said, right or wrong, legal or illegal, stupid idiotic selfish cyclist or driver.....everyone has their own opinion. End of the day, I do not believe that a driver would consciously prove his point by running into a cyclist or a cyclist purposely inviting death by riding haphazardly all over the road.

Cycling is a dangerous sport, accidents happens and there are risks involved. When the day comes when I cannot accept the risk, I will stop cycling. There is always a choice.
And that is what I chose except cycling in a park or gym.

detach8;880156 said:
Giving people fines for cycling on pavement is stupid. Where safety is concerned the law should aim to protect not antagonize.

No it is not, the law as you put it is also to protect pedestrian from idiots on bicycles cycling on pavement and not yielding to pedestrian, especially those with electric bikes that go really fast.

detach8;880156 said:
To you its a sport, to some it may be a transport. You as the cyclist make the choice.

Under Road Traffic Act, bicycle is defined as vehicles. If you gonna change the law, how are you gonna do it?

Bat69;880175 said:
No it is not, the law as you put it is also to protect pedestrian from idiots on bicycles cycling on pavement and not yielding to pedestrian, especially those with electric bikes that go really fast.
I think electric bikes is even more hazardous than human powered bikes. There are a lot of illegal one which exceed 20km/h.

totoseow;880007 said:

Please don't ignore my cyclist size.. Size determine speed and space use, how fast they beat the traffic light also...

So far IMHO those who obey rules and well equip with full gear and cycle 2 by 2 are better cyclists.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debet39com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back