Slight tuck fwd whenever I slow down to stop on a traffic liffic light

Re: Slight tuck fwd whenever I slow down to stop on a traffic liffic light

I just went to PML for the jerky prob today. Instead of just re-programming, I was told that there's a leakage from my gearbox and cost $400 to replace the gasket which I went ahead.

On top of that, there were a string of items need to be replaced. I told the CSA to KIV them first while I seek 3rd party opinion.

Apparently, these are the items:

1) Engine rear end cover plate (leaking engine oil)

2) Coolant 'Y' Pipe (leaking coolant)

3) Engine oil pan gasket (leaking engine oil)

I was quoted abt $1.3K for all 3 items. Thought that's quite expensive and decided to see if any learned forumers here can advise me in replacing those in a more economical manner.

The CSA is kind enough to jot down these items for me and according to him are quite straight forward items.

I dont think changing the gasket would have solved the jerky problem....did it?

Just collected my car today.

While they inspect the gearbox, they found a leak which requires the gasket to be replaced. On top of that, they deem that reprogramming is neccessary.

I've been testing it for the whole day, the improvement was great so far. I believe cos of software upgrade. The jerk is in fact still there, but about 90% to 95% improvement. To an extend, U almost don't feel it...

Happy driver nw :woottt:

Hi, is the jerking particularly very bad in sports mode? When I drive in that mode and the gear downshift from 3 to 2 ( or 2 to 1) there is a sudden very bad jerk, which I wonder if it is related to the software problem?

Hi,

Didnt experience this though in DS mode, even before the software upgrade.

The gear works fine on my ride in DS mode or when the engine is cold prior to upgrade. Only when it's in normal driving mode, the jerking comes in just before coming to complete stop.

Thanks for feedback bro. Mine was exactly same kind of jerking at the downshift just before stopping but on DS mode.
Ok next week make appt liao with PML :)

dericktang;520640 said:
Just collected my car today.

While they inspect the gearbox, they found a leak which requires the gasket to be replaced. On top of that, they deem that reprogramming is neccessary.

I've been testing it for the whole day, the improvement was great so far. I believe cos of software upgrade. The jerk is in fact still there, but about 90% to 95% improvement. To an extend, U almost don't feel it...

Happy driver nw :woottt:

Glad that you experienced great improvement. Along with the solving the forward-jerk, you will also experience better fuel economy in city driving. :thumbsup:

My driving pattern is about 90% city and 10% expressway, so my FC improves from 7.6 to 7.8km/l. Then switching to Shell Fuel-Saving petrol and my mileage got to 7.9km/l.

FC still high correct? Well! I take 12 mins drive from home to office but there are 15 potential stops like traffic junctions, zebra, filter-lane, etc. etc... Assuming 50% chance of stops, you'll need to stop about 7 times for an average 30 seconds, resulting in 3.5 minutes of no-go and 8.5 minutes of motion, resulting in average speed of only 25.1 km/h..... So this FC is quite acceptable considering my Ah-Pek driving style. :woottt:During weekend, I will hit expressway.......:shakemyb:

What I find it frustrating is that PML (or BMW) keep this a secret. :withstup:They should take initiative to upgrade the gear mgt prog whenever a E60 or E90 in for servicing (warranty period) and NOT after owners complain about it. It gives a better drive, better fuel consumption, why kept it a secret?:shock:

I hope PML folks are reading this forum (which I know they are)......and take initiative before some E60 and E90 warranty expires then charge owner $200 for the upgrade. :liar: In my opinion, this is unethical and doesn't show any goodwill for customer loyalty.

Owning a BMW is like a dream-comes-through for a Potong Pasir Kampong boy like me. However, the ownership doesn't inspire future upgrade of the same marque. Beside great handling in stock condition, the other aspects of ownership have not been up to mark of a luxury brand. :shakehea: Having said that, I need to give credit to the Testers like Charlie and Mr Yeo....these are the guys that make me appreciate PML as a distributor. See! "little-guys" in the organization can help to build or repair corporate image. :cool:

To be fair for PML, perhaps, it's the industrial practice to 'HIDE'.:blahblah: See what happen to TOYOTA and HONDA?:biggun:

Any Beemer-owners owning other German Marque care to share their experience as compared to PML? Please share both the positives and negatives.

Huat Ah!!!!!!:yikess:

Got my ride software updates yesterday. Since out of warranty. Paid only SGD94.

Was told that the only differences in the software was.....

converter lockup clutch change from closed to open.

Unfortunately. During the diagnostic test. Found that the valve timing gear, eccentric shaft sensor was faulty. That's why the gear change not smooth and jerky according to PML.

Cost to repair about SGD1200 parts/labor. I did not change and looking for 2nd opinion.

Anyone has any comment on this parts change.

Cheers.

saharalah;521881 said:

Unfortunately. During the diagnostic test. Found that the valve timing gear, eccentric shaft sensor was faulty. That's why the gear change not smooth and jerky according to PML.

Cost to repair about SGD1200 parts/labor. I did not change and looking for 2nd opinion.

Cheers.

so i can upgrade software for sgd94?

Apparently. Yes can just updates software. PML only charge labor for SGD80plus and with GST SGD90 plus.

But you need to nicely tell the CSA that you do not want them to do anything else. Just updates to the new softwares.

Of course PML will run the diagnostic test first. If your ride got hardware fault. The software may not be able to download smoothly. Hang half way. Then you got problems. Must fix the hardware fault before can download the new softwares. Your choices.

Some word of caution. Possibility. Those E90 which is more then 3 years old. The car internal components/hardware may not match to the new software. So you may have to change something to make it work. Just like old desktop. If you want to run new windows software. Some hardware need to upgrade.

In my case. I got the eccentric shaft sensor failure. PML ask me to fix the hardware first. But I insist to keep trying to dowload the updated software. Luckily the software programming went through. But the sensor error is still there.

Now need to replace the sensor.

Is E90 LCI already running the new version and software upgrade is not required?

Chit chat with the PML tester. He told me that in 1 year. Sometime there are 4 software updates.

But not sure if it is new version or patch to the current version.

You need to see the software version print out from your car diagnostic test.

If your car under warranty. Next service. You can ask them to check the software version/patch.

wt_know;522184 said:
Is E90 LCI already running the new version and software upgrade is not required?
every quarter make appt with service center and get software update. hehe

there is only ONE software in the whole car or there is many software like 1 for ECU, 1 for gearbox, 1 for whatever ?

the question is the upgrade is for better or worse ? if we are comfortable with the car current "behaviour" like nothing perculiar shouldn't we stay with it ?

i actually specifc clearly to the SA do not upgrade or download any software to my car in my last service.

Slater;522210 said:
every quarter make appt with service center and get software update. hehe

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;522216 said:
the question is the upgrade is for better or worse ? if we are comfortable with the car current "behaviour" like nothing perculiar shouldn't we stay with it ?

i actually specifc clearly to the SA do not upgrade or download any software to my car in my last service.
but u tech seow no? always want latest upgrades? hehe

yes ... i always want the latest greatest but i have phobia with pml where anything that they touch ... something will break ... it's not about the software but how they do the job.

Slater;522221 said:
but u tech seow no? always want latest upgrades? hehe

wt_know;522229 said:
yes ... i always want the latest greatest but i have phobia with pml where anything that they touch ... something will break ... it's not about the software but how they do the job.
no names pls.......

settle with pml offline.

Industry standard.

For car under warranty. If your ride got no issues. Distributor will not updates your software for the sake of new version. Working don't touch. They are afraid if before upgrade no hardware/components fault, after upgrade got componets error. Die-die must replace the components because under warranty. Cost increase.

For car out of warranty. You want to upgrade software... can.... pay money. Then got components fault due to software/hardware mismatch and die-die must replace... pay some more.

saharalah;521881 said:

Cheers.

I went to Juzz for Cars for additional faults diagnosed. Check with SA before that, was told that actually the items are straight forward replacements for engine oil and coolant leakage. He's kind enough to jot down the items for 2nd opinion. Also told me that technicians who's familiar with BMW will know what the items are by looking at the descriptions, if they are hessitant, then better don't try.

Got them replaced at $470. PML quoted me $1,200.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbcworkshop
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back