Thinking of the 523i

Re: Thinking of the 523i

boot release can b retrofitted at pml for a small fee.....
i got my original m5 kit thru europe...plus installation...all in i paid 3.6k.

not sure if 523 can be tuned. rob can only do the m54 at this moment. 40hp (on paper) only achievable if u do ur ecu on top of exhaust system from headers out, air-intake, pulleys...

of cos u may go the supercharge route and drop in a snail....

Jericho said:
Surely, it must be possible to retrofit the boot release lever. If you look carefully at the driver's seat footwell on the right hand side, there is a small notch where the boot release button is usually installed and this is the same place where it is located on the Z4 as well.

Anyone who have had any experience retrofitting this boot release button? Could be a lot more advantageous to have it considering that most office buildings require to check your boot before you drive in (if you are not a tenant) and if you don't want them fiddling to find the boot release lever on the underside of the boot.

/ Jericho

The part cost $36 lousy bucks.. couple of wires and a push button switch. Just got mine this afternoon. PML will install for you (sit down please before you read next..) ............for $400 labor charge!

Mike SWC will install it for you for $80!

Dunno why i got it as it is useless if you always lock the boot (key hole at 3'o clock)!

Going to put on the boot lid finisher which will cover the trunk key hole... need to decide to keep the boot lock or unlock!

haha zag i still dunno why u guys bother....i mean...when i wanna use the boot i just press from the key! of if wife goes buy food n i m in drivers car i press the central unlock button...i cant understand in what situation u need to use the switch..

totoseow said:
haha zag i still dunno why u guys bother....i mean...when i wanna use the boot i just press from the key! of if wife goes buy food n i m in drivers car i press the central unlock button...i cant understand in what situation u need to use the switch..

never disagree with you... till i talk to Mike regarding the boot lid finisher... and figure i might need it if i am going to cover the damn key hole but again it is no use also if i need to use the remote key if i dead lock the boot.

picture this situation..
you dead lock the boot (key slot at 3 o'clock) and you are in the car with engine running, you wife "tar pau" durian and want to put in the boot. so what you do?
Off the engine, out the key and press the button. right?

how about the new keyless entry on 525i and beyond? no need to off engine right in above situation?

this really sounds stupid to me by bimmer standard and i thot the boot release button can enable this without turning off the engine. but Alas! No!

back to boot lid finisher... decision must be made either to dead lock the boot or not!?

no deadlock...why do u deadlock ur boot? i never do that. i dun store stuff in there anyway.

totoseow said:
boot release can b retrofitted at pml for a small fee.....
i got my original m5 kit thru europe...plus installation...all in i paid 3.6k.

not sure if 523 can be tuned. rob can only do the m54 at this moment. 40hp (on paper) only achievable if u do ur ecu on top of exhaust system from headers out, air-intake, pulleys...

of cos u may go the supercharge route and drop in a snail....

wats the contact for europe dont knw whether they do ACS or hamann kit?

where to do air inake and puleys..heard so much about pulleys maybe thats a start and will it void warranty.

how much does it cost to retrofit cruise control

did you bite the bullet and sc?yet?

thanks

wats the contact for europe dont knw whether they do ACS or hamann kit?
no this is bmw europe...only bmw parts i dunno the actual route as i just piggy backed the orders

where to do air inake and puleys..heard so much about pulleys maybe thats a start and will it void warranty.
air intake...just do a search here for gruppeM etc...many threads on this topic. limited pulleys for E60 at this moment...i din do that. any mods will void warranty...wanna mod forget the warranty.

how much does it cost to retrofit cruise control
not sure my car came with it.

did you bite the bullet and sc?yet?
nah...its illegal to do that.

That's the difference between an enthusiast that ENJOYS driving, would choose a BMW versus a Lexus. For the price bracket, presitge/status and driving pleasure, surely a BMW wins, hands down. What more, you can always 'individualize' ur beemer... ACS kits approve by LTA but not engine mod.
Now 523iA have a variant with HUD, S/roof, all with start/stop button and boot release... Full spec...

lowest price i've heard for the 523i is $157K for the last unit under the Aerospace Package;. Price is without loan credit. Does not include PML 3 year servicing package, but car is SPANKING NEW - mileage only 29KM upon collection.

hi guys,my dad jus sold his 520i executive edition for 102k.he is lookin at the 523i at the moment.he was offered 172k by his agent.when he pressed for the 1% fleet discount,the agent say its not applicable for this model cos 172k is already after discount,'normal' price is 178k...after much neg,the agent offered a 500 bucks discount,the best she could give.wats ur take on this?thks.

The E60 is not the safest of cars.
Euro NCAP 4-star rating only. :oops:

The W211 Mercedes E-Class is 5-stars.
Audi A6 also 5-stars.
So is the Lexus GS300, 5-stars.

I feel that some of these 4 or 5 star thing is only theoritical. Like having 12 airbags and 16 airbags. I recently had a burst tyre at 120km/h and the one thing I learnt is that even the BM 3 series could run on 3 wheels!

But I do find the 523 very spartan. I recently had a chance to drive a 523 for a day. Other than the size being bigger (more spacious), at that price it don't even have cruise control.

I decided to keep my 3 series sports edition - so many additional features.

Just my personal opinion.

MapleLeaf said:
I feel that some of these 4 or 5 star thing is only theoritical. Like having 12 airbags and 16 airbags. I recently had a burst tyre at 120km/h and the one thing I learnt is that even the BM 3 series could run on 3 wheels!

But I do find the 523 very spartan. I recently had a chance to drive a 523 for a day. Other than the size being bigger (more spacious), at that price it don't even have cruise control.

I decided to keep my 3 series sports edition - so many additional features.

Just my personal opinion.

Thanks Mapleleaf. I have also spent some time in this and other cars. Though it may not be my ultimate choice, I think a ride in a GS300 sheds perspective on what else one could expect for that amount of money. And my favorite in this class today is still the 5series--e39.

Evo9 said:
The E60 is not the safest of cars.
Euro NCAP 4-star rating only. :oops:

The W211 Mercedes E-Class is 5-stars.
Audi A6 also 5-stars.
So is the Lexus GS300, 5-stars.

Hmm... interesting.
Looking at the AA Euro NCAP Crash Test results, I believe BMW was given a second chance to do the re-test before getting the 4-star rating. I wonder why?

Link is here: http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/n...Year=5 series:2004&publicationDate=2004-11-01

But in terms of how much the hood (bonnet) gets rammed in, I like the Volvo S40 the most. The front wheels are still intact!!! Most other cars' crumple zone goes beyond the front wheels. Not surprising though, since the Volvo has a built-in safety cage (mentioned in the NCAP report).

Link as follows: http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/n...modelYear=S40:2004&publicationDate=2004-06-01

opvaulet said:
Thanks Mapleleaf. I have also spent some time in this and other cars. Though it may not be my ultimate choice, I think a ride in a GS300 sheds perspective on what else one could expect for that amount of money. And my favorite in this class today is still the 5series--e39.
For the complete GS300 experience, one should try the GS300 in POWER mode also, which remaps the transmission and some minor ECU remaps perhaps. It just pulls and pulls like a locomotive. You lose about 1L/100km though.

And try the defeat trick - engine off, footbrake on, start car, press brake 2X, press footbrake 2X, and all traction control and stability systems off. Yeah, you can smoke your tyres. (verified).

After that try the 530. You'd note that the 530 has sharper feeling steering (but similar turn-in characteristic) but bumpier expressway ride. And the same locomotive pull as the GS - HP is not as relevant as torque for `pull'.

moreau said:
hi guys,my dad jus sold his 520i executive edition for 102k.he is lookin at the 523i at the moment.he was offered 172k by his agent.when he pressed for the 1% fleet discount,the agent say its not applicable for this model cos 172k is already after discount,'normal' price is 178k...after much neg,the agent offered a 500 bucks discount,the best she could give.wats ur take on this?thks.
anyone can give their opinions on this?pls.....

The reason why the 5-series only has 4 stars because it has a rigid body to be able to take higher impact. the NCAP rating only test at 50 odd km/h and most cars with 5 stars have soft body to absorb the impact, in order to obtain 5 stars. However at higher speed, there are cases where the 5 stars car are not able to protect the passenagers at all.

moreau said:
anyone can give their opinions on this?pls.....
try asking another sale person. my experience is that some of them are unwilling to lower their price because it cuts into their commission.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vvjlcomph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back