Thinking of the 523i

Re: Thinking of the 523i

One thing to note is that you can only get HUD on E60s with navigation

Heard someone managed to buy a 523i at $169k. Looks like PML really gonna lelong to meet sales target.

T6 said:
Heard someone managed to buy a 523i at $169k. Looks like PML really gonna lelong to meet sales target.

Wow, that means it is cheaper than 325. :whythis: Last price of 325 was S$175k. Unless PML has also reduced the price of 325. Any feedback? Also anyone knows about the OMV of 523? :helpp!:

I think that the OMV on the 523 is 54K and the $169 seems to be a very good price compared to the $178 that I was quoted. The new 3 series is getting some really good reviews too. My wife is keen on the 3 series because the space is much more than the previous models and she likes the interior a lot. The push button start / stop is also something that she is really keen in. But the 320 don't have iDrive and I was test driving the 523 and they demonstrated the iDrive to me. Looks really complex and not quite easy to use.

My friend was offered about $140K (or something like that) for the 3 series with wood paneling and some other extras.

Gandalf Fett said:
My friend was offered about $140K (or something like that) for the 3 series with wood paneling and some other extras.

Like I mentioned in another thread, a fren of mine bought the 320i for $139. Took only 3 weeks from order to collection. But if the 325i is still retailing above $170k and if the 523i is indeed $169k, then I think the 523i wld seem like a betta buy coz surely build quality will be betta on a 5 series. But if what u want is a 219bhp powerplant, then different story liao.

I got my 523 two weeks ago. Before buying, I seriously considered the following cars:
Lexus GS300
Great car! Every conceivable gadget is there. Smooth creamy engine, IMHO, more refinement than a Bimmer. The leather stitching, so refined. However, handling leaves much to be desired. A Lexus, is still Japanese. I'd like something with a strong heritage.

Merc E200
Pricey, Ah Pek image. There's one salesman who looks like Pao Ching Tien waiting to serve me, whom I avoided noticeably. Manage to get some sweet young thing, who knows next to nothing about the car. I had to even teach her the features of the Merc. Severely underpowered, poor handling, great for showing everyone you made it. However, the interior is more refined, more luxurious and executive looking. Car looks more stately than the 523.

BMW 320
Thought of saving some money, going for a lower cost alternative. Great drive, especially with the aluminium chasis, 50:50 weight distribution. BIG improvement over E46, but you have to push real hard to feel like you're speeding. Nice toys like PDC, rain sensors, light sensors, anti-dazzle mirrors, cool start button, nice a/c vent for rear passengers. However, if you've owned an E46 before, you'd want something different. 4 potter, is a little rough and noisy.

BMW 523
Best buy. 525 specs (except for bhp) at 523 price. Used car dealers' opinion is that the resale between the 525 and 523 won't be much. Power can be tuned. I was quoted by Juzz4cars, some 2,100, to add in over 20bhp with a ECU, exhaust, air-intake and spark plugs. Biggest car among the lot, but is far from clumsy. Gobbles up corners for breakfast. High equipment spec.
The base price is 182K, but lots of standard discounts bringing it to 175K. To get to 169, it means that you got to borrow 160K to get a 6K discount. (4% cash rebate).
Even thought of getting a used 520, but at 150K (1yr old), not worth it. Add 1 year's depreciation (14K), 1 year's road tax (2.2K), transfer fee (2K), the discount from resale as a 2nd owner (5K), you'll hit over 173K. Besides, there're many psychic benefits of owning a brand new car, not to say a 2.5 vs a 2.2 litre car.
So far, no regrets. Ample power, but tempted to add 20bhp!! Love the car!!

bimmerman said:
BMW 523
Best buy. 525 specs (except for bhp) at 523 price. Used car dealers' opinion is that the resale between the 525 and 523 won't be much. Power can be tuned. I was quoted by Juzz4cars, some 2,100, to add in over 20bhp with a ECU, exhaust, air-intake and spark plugs. Biggest car among the lot, but is far from clumsy. Gobbles up corners for breakfast. High equipment spec.
The base price is 182K, but lots of standard discounts bringing it to 175K. To get to 169, it means that you got to borrow 160K to get a 6K discount. (4% cash rebate).

I think I'd take those numbers quoted with a grain of salt. The ECU is it a reflash or piggyback? How about exhaust? Just a muffler change?

bimmerman said:
BMW 523
Best buy. 525 specs (except for bhp) at 523 price. Used car dealers' opinion is that the resale between the 525 and 523 won't be much. Power can be tuned. I was quoted by Juzz4cars, some 2,100, to add in over 20bhp with a ECU, exhaust, air-intake and spark plugs.

Believe tat wat J4C quoted is the paper spec of increment base on the individual item change(so call test data), not the actual bhp increase tat u wld get on the car.

Yes, have to be careful about claims on bhp increases. Once fitted and disappointed, little can be done. Anyone with experience on ECU mods?

I think not many people are happy with the Hi-op ECU flashes. You'd be better off with a DMS ECU reflash. Do a search on the subject on ECUs and read whiskytango's primer on ECU modding.

bimmerman said:
I got my 523 two weeks ago. Before buying, I seriously considered the following cars:
Lexus GS300

Merc E200

BMW 320

BMW 523

So far, no regrets. Ample power, but tempted to add 20bhp!! Love the car!!

Hi bimmerman,

I noticed you didn't do any comparison with the 325, any reason? What is the "best" price for 325? (Just curious to find out) :huhhuh: BTW, what is the bhp of the 523 and what is the OMV? Any xenon lights and GPS?

Hi Armstrong,
The 325 is already awesome by definition, but it was priced beyond reason. The "best" price I got for it was $170, after taking a $100K loan. My SC told me it is badly priced, perhaps, to make the 320 look very inexpensive. PML is not pushing for sales of 325, as 325 enthusiasts do not need sales pitches as the car speaks for itself. They are trying really hard on pushing the 320. They also did not have a 325 for me to test. I am very sure, that within a year, we will have something in-between, like a 323 (again, a de-tuned version of a 325?). That'll be very very interesting!!

The Bhp of the 523 is 177, comes with xenon, but no GPS. I believe the 530 onwards, has it as standard. It's a best buy for the money, rather than the best performer. I'd be happy to add 20 horses more to it.

Hi all, am new here. Thought I'll chip in a bit because I am seriously thinking about getting either a 523 or 525 (post Sept production). The difference in price is about $30+k but I think the 525 gets sports steering wheel, active steering, GPS more expensive rims over the 523. I think there was some early spec sheet that lists adaptive headlights as standard on the 525 but I believe that is not the case.

Are there any 525 drivers out there who can comment on their ride? On paper, the increase in power is about 40bhp but increase in torque is less than 9% over the 523.

jellyfish said:
Hi all, am new here. Thought I'll chip in a bit because I am seriously thinking about getting either a 523 or 525 (post Sept production). The difference in price is about $30+k but I think the 525 gets sports steering wheel, active steering, GPS more expensive rims over the 523. I think there was some early spec sheet that lists adaptive headlights as standard on the 525 but I believe that is not the case.

Are there any 525 drivers out there who can comment on their ride? On paper, the increase in power is about 40bhp but increase in torque is less than 9% over the 523.

Based on the equipment list, the 525i comes with Adaptive Headlights... I've been quoted $216K for the 525i. What's the best price you've been quoted for the 525i?

bimmerman said:
Hi Armstrong,
The 325 is already awesome by definition, but it was priced beyond reason. The "best" price I got for it was $170, after taking a $100K loan. My SC told me it is badly priced, perhaps, to make the 320 look very inexpensive. PML is not pushing for sales of 325, as 325 enthusiasts do not need sales pitches as the car speaks for itself. They are trying really hard on pushing the 320. They also did not have a 325 for me to test. I am very sure, that within a year, we will have something in-between, like a 323 (again, a de-tuned version of a 325?). That'll be very very interesting!!

The Bhp of the 523 is 177, comes with xenon, but no GPS. I believe the 530 onwards, has it as standard. It's a best buy for the money, rather than the best performer. I'd be happy to add 20 horses more to it.

GPS is part of the Equipment List for 525i as well...

frankly forget about the adaptive lights...i have it n its pretty useless....singapore is too bright. i hv to drive to some dark lanes in choa chu kang cemetary to see the effect. and i heard GPS doesnt work in malaysia. what i luv most about the 5s are the dynamic drive and active steering...

totoseow said:
frankly forget about the adaptive lights...i have it n its pretty useless....singapore is too bright. i hv to drive to some dark lanes in choa chu kang cemetary to see the effect. and i heard GPS doesnt work in malaysia. what i luv most about the 5s are the dynamic drive and active steering...

Have to agree with Toto, the best thing about the E60 is that it is the cheapest BMW that can have dynamic drive AND active steering. Dynamic drive is not available on the E90, so next up is the 6 series, and only standard on the 645i, if you want it on the 630i, it's $9K.

These two options are just awesome on the track. At the last PML track day, I was following toto and could see just how flat his car was cornering, even at pretty high speeds.

Problem is when you get used to it. Got a E60 520i loaner for a few days when my ride was in for some retrofits and I tried to take some of the corners on my way to work the same speed I do with my ride everyday and there were tyres screeching and a bit of drama :lol2:

Hi guys.......have been reading the thread with much anticipation as i am thinking to make the chnage from my current E46 to the new E60 in the next couple of months......but recently i went to test drive the Audi A6 which i was equally impress as well.....the features and the handling......

would anyone like to comment on the new A6 in order to better understand our option.....

sorry, but i am not knowledgable into techincal and mechanical stuff..... sorry for ignorance.....

Come to think of it, if I were to do it all over again (buy my car) I'll get the 540i (soon to be available, should be under $300K)

with the following options

active steering (should be standard)
Dynamic Drive
Pro Nav with HUD
Bluetooth
ventilated comfort seats
Logic 7
UV protection glass
Comfort access
Glass roof

eggz said:
Come to think of it, if I were to do it all over again (buy my car) I'll get the 540i (soon to be available, should be under $300K)

with the following options

active steering (should be standard)
Dynamic Drive
Pro Nav with HUD
Bluetooth
ventilated comfort seats
Logic 7
UV protection glass
Comfort access
Glass roof

when will the 540i be available? Darn just got M-kit put on my ride. Perhaps should stop putting in anymore money on the one and half year old waiting for the 4 litre. Hopefully in a year's time!?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyLockwood
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back