To Buy or not to buy (e90 320 vs IS250)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: To Buy or not to buy (e90 320 vs IS250)

Dunno why the discussion between the Lexus IS250, and the BMW 320i looks like the Taiwan political chaos (think of the pro Green and the pro Blue camp...) :lol2:

Quite interesting to read from the sidelines I think, and yes it's still a vote to the 320i for me, not because I drive one, but also because get this car you sure won't have regrets about it! Or better still get the 325i or 330i if money is no object!

michaeltan said:
Hi mod. My work is in the IT industry, as you probably know if you search the web. My passion is automotive tech (stock).

I hang out here and in Carma because, Carma got all sorts of car lovers, and here got quite delightful personalities who are obviously knowledgeable.

While I think it is objectively unjustifiable for anybody to buy a BMW 320, 323 over a IS250, I think that, if anybody admits that the money is not a problem, and would not like the roughness of an M3, and goes ahead and buys a 330i, I say - I WOULD DO THAT TOO! And if money not a problem, why 325? Go 330 lah.

And please remember, I really don't have a passion for Lexus. I find it very jia lat to be coming up with the word Lexus every time I feel compelled to put down a BMW.

I really like the Quattroporte, save that it's Italian. Not the E55 though, I dislike the implementation of the supercharger. New Merc engines suspected to be turbocharged rather than supercharged, if they have the balls for it. Even then, I would take the NA route. If I had just an unbridled choice on a car to buy, NOT A SUPERCAR, and if I had to foot the repair bill, it would be the Mercedes SL500. Though it's a heavy piece of iron, it's NA, it's pretty, I don't feel like a homo in it, and repair costs are manageable.
Hello michael,

I believe I have made myself very clear in my initial postings regarding your contributions in this forum.

If you are here with the purpose to make people feel sore about their BMWs please do so in Carma forum where you get people from all sorts of make and marques who have their opinons on every different automotive industry.

This forum is meant for enthusiasts to share their likes and dislikes for BMWs, accessories and of course the experience.

We thank you for your kind comparisons and contributions regarding Lexus. However please let the individuals have their own opinions and thoughts about purchasing/ owning a BMW. You do not have the right, I REPEAT, do NOT have the right to storm into this forum with the sole intention of making BMW owners feel sore about their ride.

I am not sure how you go about in the process before purchasing a motor vehicle. But I do believe most motor vehicle owners have done their fair amount of research and financial planning before making a commitment.

Like I indicated in my previous postings. Leave your ENTIRE knowledge about Lexus in this forum and have the members here decide what they want to purchase. If you do feel that the marketing strategies by the distributor here is absolute bollocks and in a way misleading or perhaps even cheating consumers, then by all means PLEASE approach CASE or any legal ways to tackle the issues you have.

Please do not misunderstand my points that I have been trying to put across to you.

At the same time, I strongly advise you to rephrase your postings. In future, all postings with the intention to "rub-salt" will be edited without hesitation. This warning goes out to all involved parties with the same intention against Lexus as well.

Regards
Barry

kenntona said:
..There is more than one dimension to this argument. And so far we have been whining on only one dimension in all these arguments. ....

IMO, your message best sums up this thread. When someone wants to buy a car, there are 1001 reasons unique to him only. For me, my latest car is a love-at-first-sight (with some additional research). It's neither a BMW nor a Lexus. I don't care what others say as long as I enjoy driving it and it makes me smile and grin broadly everytime I'm in it. Likewise, I would like to suggest to buyers considering the E90 or IS250, if you like it very much, buy it and enjoy it. It's your hard earned money, and as the saying goes, you only live once. Think any longer, tomorrow might never come.

Just my 2 cents.

seriously, supposed one of the car is to be given FREE, which would you want ?? :nehnehhh:

IS250, the drive was very quiet and smooth and certainly are very boring. I felt so seperated from the driving experiance that I felt as if I was the pasenger rather than the driver.

IS250 is a nice looking car that will sell, toyota's are dependable and reasonably priced. But they are still not in the same category as BMW's and looks at the market right now be it IS200, ES300, RX300, SC430, only the BMW kept better value.

E90 grow on me.The E90 will have to grow on me as well there some things about it that I like and some things I wonder what the hell what they were thinking but in no way do I see the IS being better then E90.

now E90/325 AT and will change to E90/320si MT when arrived........:yikess:

Hi there.... IMHO.... and I'm just being neutral. Given a choice.... I would never want to compare a BMW 320 with IS250. That's just my way of thinking. I was wondering what to buy few months back... Got attracted to the 3 series cos my Uncle is having 2 of them... 5 is always over pampering for myself. Then was wondering the car will grow on me .. as in grow electronic probems for me... And seems like tons of people are driving 3 series everywhere... So I decided to open my option.

Heard about the IS250.... And thru some insiders Advice and my own personal acquired taste.... I end up with Mark X.

Conclusion for my feeling about owning the Mark X as a Car Lover yet Neutral and Practical Consumer: "High!!!!! No Regrets!!!" Simple Enough..

Visit the Lexus Showroom and see the IS250 and one would understand why some end up having a Thunbs Up for Mark X against IS250. Kindly compare all aspect.

The weightage of Branding has impacted me not as much as some. I was a design student before and I tend to shred Bias on "Expensive Brands comes along with WOW Looks" Myth... Personally, IS250 looks normal hippy clean cut to me BUT lack of 'Character' like the Mark X. Of course Lexus Logo has more weightage in terms of Branding Value.. but that's not my concern. I would view the GS300 as better crafted and well deserved Ride... So much better. In the end, I got the GS300 PLatform, IS250 V6 POwer Plant - Mark X.

On the other hand, I would have chosen BMW 3 series due to having it's individual 'Character' looks and posture. Eh.. it's the power factor that I've landed up in Mark X.

Well, above is just my personal weird taste. Pertaining to Diff. in IS250 and Mark X... I'm most willing assit should there be queries....

Enjoy Shopping..... Whether it's a BMW or IS250... neither is a right choice.. end of the day, the car that one chooses is the Ideal Choice. There won't be a Right or Wrong Choice..

" You'll never know whether it's Right or Wrong, BUT at least you know that you're In Control!"
Cheers!!!!

SafetyCar aka Guan

SafetyCar said:
Hi there.... IMHO.... and I'm just being neutral. Given a choice.... I would never want to compare a BMW 320 with IS250. That's just my way of thinking. I was wondering what to buy few months back... Got attracted to the 3 series cos my Uncle is having 2 of them... 5 is always over pampering for myself. Then was wondering the car will grow on me .. as in grow electronic probems for me... And seems like tons of people are driving 3 series everywhere... So I decided to open my option.

Heard about the IS250.... And thru some insiders Advice and my own personal acquired taste.... I end up with Mark X.

Conclusion for my feeling about owning the Mark X as a Car Lover yet Neutral and Practical Consumer: "High!!!!! No Regrets!!!" Simple Enough..

Visit the Lexus Showroom and see the IS250 and one would understand why some end up having a Thunbs Up for Mark X against IS250. Kindly compare all aspect.

The weightage of Branding has impacted me not as much as some. I was a design student before and I tend to shred Bias on "Expensive Brands comes along with WOW Looks" Myth... Personally, IS250 looks normal hippy clean cut to me BUT lack of 'Character' like the Mark X. Of course Lexus Logo has more weightage in terms of Branding Value.. but that's not my concern. I would view the GS300 as better crafted and well deserved Ride... So much better. In the end, I got the GS300 PLatform, IS250 V6 POwer Plant - Mark X.

On the other hand, I would have chosen BMW 3 series due to having it's individual 'Character' looks and posture. Eh.. it's the power factor that I've landed up in Mark X.

Well, above is just my personal weird taste. Pertaining to Diff. in IS250 and Mark X... I'm most willing assit should there be queries....

Enjoy Shopping..... Whether it's a BMW or IS250... neither is a right choice.. end of the day, the car that one chooses is the Ideal Choice. There won't be a Right or Wrong Choice..

" You'll never know whether it's Right or Wrong, BUT at least you know that you're In Control!"
Cheers!!!!

SafetyCar aka Guan
to be very frank, only an *edited* would compare an substantiate all facts that an IS250 is a BETTER CAR than the e90 320i.BETTER CAR in what sense? Price? Ridiculous. i have not seen credible reviews reviewing cars based on different engine capacities to see which is a better car BUt more of a value for money thingy. so what if singapore cars are more exensive? that doesnt mean that u compare cars in the same car price bracket. of course if u say VALUE-FOR MONEY, then it has to be the lexus even if u want to compare to it to a IS250. but if you are talking abt performance, then i think u shld compare it with the same engine capacity. I beleive there should be some sanity and common sense in the discussions as i dont understanbd why in the hell would someone want to compare cars of different capacities just because of price? if price is of your utmost consideration, then state value for money Car not car based on performance. i think that shud be VERY clear before this thread closes once again. to cut short for some who still cant understand > APPLES=APPLES, ORANGES=ORANGES. Comprande eses?

Thanks and enjoy your easter.

hi all
just my two cents worth - buying a car is subjective - you buy what you appeals to you visually, what brings on a smile on your face everytime you set your eyes on it, what you gives you a buzz when you get behind the wheel - regardless of marque.
of course, there is the objective part to the decision - the budget, running costs, performance etc.

but being human at the end of the day, when it comes down to why one buys one marque over another, all things being more or less equal, is because of how good it makes you feel inside.
to be label a purchaser a poseur because he likes a particular marque's design and its appeal to the emotions but is not in a position to appreciate it's finer engineering merits etc, and therefore is deemed to have fallen prey to the marque's marketing, is, with all due respect, not quite fair.

elmariachi said:
to be very frank, only an *idiot* would compare an substantiate all facts that an IS250 is a BETTER CAR than the e90 320i.BETTER CAR in what sense? Price? Ridiculous. i have not seen credible reviews reviewing cars based on different engine capacities to see which is a better car BUt more of a value for money thingy. so what if singapore cars are more exensive? that doesnt mean that u compare cars in the same car price bracket. of course if u say VALUE-FOR MONEY, then it has to be the lexus even if u want to compare to it to a IS250. but if you are talking abt performance, then i think u shld compare it with the same engine capacity. I beleive there should be some sanity and common sense in the discussions as i dont understanbd why in the hell would someone want to compare cars of different capacities just because of price? if price is of your utmost consideration, then state value for money Car not car based on performance. i think that shud be VERY clear before this thread closes once again. to cut short for some who still cant understand > APPLES=APPLES, ORANGES=ORANGES. Comprande eses?

Thanks and enjoy your easter.
Yes agree.
We should be comparing the 2.5L 6-cylinder E90 323i with the IS250.
Oranges = Oranges right, even though the BMW is $30K more expensive, but what the hell.

But then, on the power stakes, the 323i STILL loses out to the IS250.
177 BHP vs 204 BHP. 30 horses difference mind you.
230 Nm vs 252 Nm.

Now, why even bring in the 325i when its so overpriced? $50K more than the IS250, which would give it a good run for its money. With the money saved, one can put in a TTE supercharger (Singapore LTA approved) into the IS250 and it will outrun and outdo the 325i. And even then, in some of the UK mag reviews, the IS250 continues to outshine the 325i in handling around wet 'B-road' bendies. You can go further and faster around slippery bends on the IS250 before oversteer kicks in (compared to the 325i). More confidence inspiring in its handling prowess definitely, this Lexus.

i have been drivin my e90 320i for ard 3mths...
and i have no regret wif my choice yet, and probably i wil never...
in fact i luv it.. esp da shape of my side mirror..
yes da engine might not be that powerful,
but well dis is not a performance car afterall..

don think too much if you wan to get a car, just go for da one that catches ur eyes 1st..
it nvr goes wrong.. if you kept comparin, then you wil nvr get ur car..
2007 wil hav more cars comin out for you to compare..
well there is always another solution.. go get both..
most important is hwa hee jiu ho..

Evo9 said:
Now, why even bring in the 325i when its so overpriced? $50K more than the IS250, which would give it a good run for its money. With the money saved, one can put in a TTE supercharger (Singapore LTA approved) into the IS250 and it will outrun and outdo the 325i. And even then, in some of the UK mag reviews, the IS250 continues to outshine the 325i in handling around wet 'B-road' bendies. You can go further and faster around slippery bends on the IS250 before oversteer kicks in (compared to the 325i). More confidence inspiring in its handling prowess definitely, this Lexus.

If that's ur point, den why bother bring in the LEXUS? Jus bring in the JDM models of Toyota wld do all the job wat, at a lower price as well.

And, No! I don't think that the previously LTA approved TTE supercharge wld be legally apply to the brand new IS250.

If u think Lexus can handles well and gives u more confidence inspiring, den good luck to u.

Although, I drives a Lexus, I still thinks that when it comes to road handling Lexus simpily suck big time compare to bimmers. (Jus my 2 cents)

Evo9 said:
Yes agree.
We should be comparing the 2.5L 6-cylinder E90 323i with the IS250.
Oranges = Oranges right, even though the BMW is $30K more expensive, but what the hell.

But then, on the power stakes, the 323i STILL loses out to the IS250.
177 BHP vs 204 BHP. 30 horses difference mind you.
230 Nm vs 252 Nm.

For your information, the 323i consists of a 2.5L engine block. right! but its a detuned version of the original 2.5L which gernerates 218hp. 177hp vs 218hp. do the maths. if there is an IS230, perhaps u are right to compare it to a 323i. So you SHOULD be comparing an IS250 and a 325i.And theres more to the car than just performance. take for example, closing a door on a BMW and say closing a door on an IS. the BMW gives you a thud sound so nice everytime u close the door. the IS door closes with virtually no sound. this is subjective but to me i enjoy and appreciate small refinements like this to complete the experience. ppl like myself buy BMW and thats what keep this forums alive because of our passion for refinement and pleasure. BMW may not be a speed freak such as ur nick, but it sure skips a heartbeat while going from 0-100. these are things you cannot attach a token value to it but appreciate it.

P.S - Pls restrain from OT cause we are only talking about stock performance and not the savings you can utilise as this is direct comparison btw ONLY 2 cars.

Cheers All.

I tested the 323i, C200K sport and the IS250 back to back. My view was that comparing a 4 to a 6 pot was not really fair technically, leaving price aside. In fact, as a BMW owner I was thinking i would poo poo the Lexus after the drive. Boy was I wrong. And even as a BMW owner, I feel the 323i wins on steering feel, space in rear cabin and boot but the IS scores everywhere else. Including FC as i reset trip computer for both cars and drove down the exact same route. (10l/100km vs 12.3i/100km) Other differences? I never feel the engine in the IS. In the 323i it is always present but mind you, most bimmerfans would wish that, so its not a quality, but more a character trait. However overall refinement of the IS is unreal for this class or even the next class up. I guess time will tell if the salesman's statement that 80% of his IS sales are conquest sales from BMW. And the merc? well, a new model is on the way.....and not a moment too soon.

elmariachi said:
For your information, the 323i consists of a 2.5L engine block. right! but its a detuned version of the original 2.5L which gernerates 218hp. 177hp vs 218hp. do the maths. if there is an IS230, perhaps u are right to compare it to a 323i. So you SHOULD be comparing an IS250 and a 325i.And theres more to the car than just performance. take for example, closing a door on a BMW and say closing a door on an IS. the BMW gives you a thud sound so nice everytime u close the door. the IS door closes with virtually no sound. this is subjective but to me i enjoy and appreciate small refinements like this to complete the experience. ppl like myself buy BMW and thats what keep this forums alive because of our passion for refinement and pleasure. BMW may not be a speed freak such as ur nick, but it sure skips a heartbeat while going from 0-100. these are things you cannot attach a token value to it but appreciate it.

P.S - Pls restrain from OT cause we are only talking about stock performance and not the savings you can utilise as this is direct comparison btw ONLY 2 cars.

Cheers All.

Yes, I have test driven the 323i and am fully aware of the miserable de-tuning applied by BMW. Not impressed at all.

The fact still remains that the 323i is ONLY 177 BHP squeezed out from a 2.5L engine block. No amount of words (or censure) can change that fact.

Having owned enough Lexus, Mercs and BMWs (note positioning) in my life time, I wil tell you that all the door 'thuds' are the same - if that matters so much to you. All solid. The BMW is no better than the IS in this specific aspect, subjective or otherwise. Next.

It boils down to pure passion in design and styling and IMHO, the Lexus has more of that than the BMW 3-er. Just my opinion.

Snail_Mobile said:
Although, I drives a Lexus, I still thinks that when it comes to road handling Lexus simpily suck big time compare to bimmers. (Jus my 2 cents)

I concur with snail. I owned 2 stock lexus before. Both lexus handling are very lousy compared to BMW. My Lexuses tend to understeer and the steering wheels are lifeless and cant feel the road well. On the other hand, BMW handling is very extemely good and that is why when i decide to change my lexus, i go all the way out to get a E65 730FL without having second thought about Lexus anymore, even though it is cheaper and easier to maintain a japanese car.

:)

don't you all find that IS250 looks very much like the new camry?

if you like the design of IS250, save the 40k and go buy the new camry.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/

pingman said:
I concur with snail. I owned 2 stock lexus before. Both lexus handling are very lousy compared to BMW. My Lexuses tend to understeer and the steering wheels are lifeless and cant feel the road well. On the other hand, BMW handling is very extemely good and that is why when i decide to change my lexus, i go all the way out to get a E65 730FL without having second thought about Lexus anymore, even though it is cheaper and easier to maintain a japanese car.

I agree fully with you on that one.

The larger Lexus, especially the ES300 and LS430 are relatively poor handlers, since they and their Toyota equivalents - e.g. the Windom, Crown etc. are made for a different niche market. The LS is really for the chauffer-driven and gives a magic carpet ride, some say even better than the Merc S-Class. Try running these cars agressively round tight bends and they will fail miserably.

Among the big wigs, the 7-er handles better than say the S-Class or the LS. But one should really compare the Bentley vs the E65 for large car handling. I think here, the British car will beat the E65 hands down.

bmwF1 said:
don't you all find that IS250 looks very much like the new camry?

looks a little like honda accord and has a little Lexus ES350 genes. I thought Lexus and toyota is 2 separate company now?

the new camry is indeed cheaper, larger, nicer than IS250. when is it coming to singapore? anyone know if the same lexus VDM DVD system is available? definitely a good buy compared to the cramp IS250.

just my 2 rupee of thought.. :yummie:

pingman said:

totally agree wit u, i have 1 too. handling is the worst, too lite for speed n not stable.
selling off soon too n back for a BMW!!

elmariachi said:
just starts to make me wonder how 46 intrernational journalists must have been blind then giving the best car of the year award if u say it boils down to passion in design and styling save your and my opinions. Hmmmmm..i wonder why. Dont you? Funny world we live in huh brothers.
The award was for cars manufactured (or at least started to be manufactured) in 2005.
The IS250 was only introduced to the world in 1Q 2006.

By that time, the award has aready been decided.

IMHO, that crown will be wrestled from BMW in next year's award. It will still boil down to the car designed with passion. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back