To Buy or not to buy (e90 320 vs IS250)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: To Buy or not to buy (e90 320 vs IS250)

pingman said:
looks a little like honda accord and has a little Lexus ES350 genes. I thought Lexus and toyota is 2 separate company now?

the new camry is indeed cheaper, larger, nicer than IS250. when is it coming to singapore? anyone know if the same lexus VDM DVD system is available? definitely a good buy compared to the cramp IS250.

just my 2 rupee of thought.. :yummie:
it is here already, i saw one yesterday. was wondering how come it looks like a IS250 but has a toyota badge. On a closer look, it is actually the new camry.

hahahaha, just abt to say that, thanks bmwf1...
y not u compare is250 wit saab 9-5 (2.3)

elmariachi

=>to be very frank, only an *edited* would compare an substantiate all facts that an IS250 is a BETTER CAR than the e90 320i.BETTER CAR in what sense? Price? Ridiculous. i have not seen credible reviews reviewing cars based on different engine capacities to see which is a better car BUt more of a value for money thingy. so what if singapore cars are more exensive? that doesnt mean that u compare cars in the same car price bracket. of course if u say VALUE-FOR MONEY, then it has to be the lexus even if u want to compare to it to a IS250. but if you are talking abt performance, then i think u shld compare it with the same engine capacity. I beleive there should be some sanity and common sense in the discussions as i dont understanbd why in the hell would someone want to compare cars of different capacities just because of price? if price is of your utmost consideration, then state value for money Car not car based on performance. i think that shud be VERY clear before this thread closes once again. to cut short for some who still cant understand > APPLES=APPLES, ORANGES=ORANGES. Comprande eses?

E46 320i

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For your information, the 323i consists of a 2.5L engine block. right! but its a detuned version of the original 2.5L which gernerates 218hp. 177hp vs 218hp. do the maths. if there is an IS230, perhaps u are right to compare it to a 323i. So you SHOULD be comparing an IS250 and a 325i.And theres more to the car than just performance. take for example, closing a door on a BMW and say closing a door on an IS. the BMW gives you a thud sound so nice everytime u close the door. the IS door closes with virtually no sound. this is subjective but to me i enjoy and appreciate small refinements like this to complete the experience. ppl like myself buy BMW and thats what keep this forums alive because of our passion for refinement and pleasure. BMW may not be a speed freak such as ur nick, but it sure skips a heartbeat while going from 0-100. these are things you cannot attach a token value to it but appreciate it.

P.S - Pls restrain from OT cause we are only talking about stock performance and not the savings you can utilise as this is direct comparison btw ONLY 2 cars.

Cheers All.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by elmariachi : Today at 06:06 AM.
================================================================

SafetyCar Speaks :

Detune afterall is Detune here in the Lion City. I symphatise with the fact that the 323 is detune to 177BHP.. likewise I'm disappointed that the IS250 is also detune from 215BHP to 204BHP... but that's not the point. Reality is the absolute power that we recieved as End user as a Stock Car here. It has nothing to do with Finance or Monies Issue. There's no definite yes or no in reality, even if I compare the 3 series with IS250. It;s subjective. Some people just like to compare Apple to Orange because both are popular fruits in daily life. (Shrugs... why am I talking about Fruits??!!!).. you can't say that's wrong... neither am I being bias.... It's just the issue of different perspective.

I do agree that other issues should be considered like the 'Feeling of Slamming the Door, having Conti Feel'.. No doubt... it'll lead to endless issues in Shopping for the right car. Then someone will be smart enough to tell you off by stating that... "Cos of the fact of the Conti Feel, 323 is going to smell smoke of IS250 due POwer to Weight Issue...... Feel the Door of that IS250, it's even more Conti feel than your 323 cos it's been sent for further sound proof 2 layer and still the pick up is faster than 323.. .. and so on and so on.."

As much as I understand how you feel, I'm sure I post a pretty Neutral and Harmless posting earlier and I repeated a couple of times about the posting is surely my own oersonal opinion ya.. I'm sure you'll understand that my intention is Constructive.

Forum is a place that offers free flow of pointers and discussion break thru. I am just abiding the international rules of a Car Forum with no ill intention and dreaming to contribute opinions which could be deem as Non Destructive. I hope my posting has not embedded any form of Spark Off point for you ya......

Anyway, don't be heated up cos I didn't chose the IS250 ya.... Hee.... I'm very happy with my 215BHP Dual VVti V6 Engine Mark X. Peace!!!

SafetyCar

bmwF1

E46 318i

don't you all find that IS250 looks very much like the new camry?

if you like the design of IS250, save the 40k and go buy the new camry.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/

Last edited by bmwF1 : Today at 07:30 AM.
=========================================================

Ha ha ha... you went to view too? Yes..... the interior is Camry alike. In fact, the previous IS200 interior is much nicer.... LOL. But maybe some people enjoy the Light Wood Feel ya...

Hi guys.

Please keep to topic. Any more off-topic threads will be deleted either by me, or the other admins without warning or notification.

Thanks.

ryan

Hi guys.

Please keep to topic. Any more off-topic threads will be deleted either by me, or the other admins without warning or notification.

Thanks.

Basic forum rules
No Flaming. No Personal Attacks, No Off-Topics.

Important Forum Links
1. Forum Rules & Regulations (UPDATED)
2. New User Guide To BMW.SG
3. 'Members-Only' Distribution List
4. Monthly Meetup FAQ List
5. Support The Community

Got a friendster account? Add us as a friend ( [email protected] )
================================================================

Sori Ryan..... Yes Sir !

Hello Michael

Chill man..... you have put up really good arguments for and against each marque/model. But that is all pure analysis. When a person buy a car, his/her requirements get thrown into a "hotpot" and while most of us will have the same requirements/demands from a car the 'weightage' we placed on each of those requirements/demands differ. I would like to call this our own "Matrix of Needs/Wants"... and in this "hotpot" we have the heart element.

If all of us think the same.... the world will really be a boring place.

The IS250, E90 320i, C180 Kompressor, A4 2.0MU and probably the soon to be launched 159 may be selling for about the same price but each individual buyer has a different expectation from the brand, the car, etc. Thats why we have varieties on the road.

Think about it..... do all E90 320i owners buy it for the brand? Do all of them follow the herd? I don't think so. They must have bought it for their own reasons because the E90 320i scored the highest in their "Matrix of Needs/Wants".

So lets not sterotype everyone or paint eveyone with the same brush.

Chill...... live and let live.

Cheers
achtung

Hi Evo9

Lets not sweat the small stuffs..... so what if the IS250 is better value than the E90 320i or the other way round? Or the Bentley GT is better than the 7 series. Its all non-consequential.

What's important is that we are alive, we have eyes to see the beauty of the morning sun, sense of smell to smell the rain and flowers, love ones to hug, kiss and love... etc. I believe you get my drift.

So is the IS250 better value than the E90 320i? Probably, but it is not important. It is all small stuffs. We don't think about such things when we are on our dying bed.... but we will most certainly think about our love ones.... so lets live and let live.

On a lighter note..... I can beat the Continental GT on handling just on my Gary Fisher or Trek :) Come to think about it, I will trash any ultimate handling machine in the twisties on my Gary Fisher :)

Cheers
achtung

achtung said:
On a lighter note..... I can beat the Continental GT on handling just on my Gary Fisher or Trek :) Come to think about it, I will trash any ultimate handling machine in the twisties on my Gary Fisher :)

how abt gary fisher n cannondale??hehehehe.... jus joking
sori dude for the o.t

My Litespeed and Klein also can thrash a Bently! Especially the turning circle when I pull up the front to make U-turn, haha...

Sorry for the OT!

Seriously, these are just cars no matter how passionately you feel about them... There are more important things in life to do than be insulting and belittling others over cars...

ryan said:
Hi guys.

Thanks.
thanks ryan

pls do not close the thread!

Dream Cars

drivemax said:
Hmm... BMW , Porsche , Lambo and even Mit Evo appeared in my dream but how come not Lexus ??
cheers!

When I was much younger, I used to fantasize about the sleek Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis and Lotuses that soared by. I imagined these cars would be powerful beyond my wildest dreams. They would catapult me far ahead of normal cars plodding along the road. I imagined these cars would also be ultra-precision instruments, responsive to the subtlest steering input.

I also imagined these cars would feature the most luxurious seats, plush interiors and high-tech instrumentation. Most of all, I imagined that riding in these cars would feel steady, graceful and refined, like gliding through the air. The interior would be ultra silent so I could enjoy the most minute subtleties in the music. The gear changes and steering would feel effortless to manage. It would be like heaven.

Of course, I was naive to think this way. AFter my first drive of a Porsche 928, the reality hit home that the dream cars were the opposite of what I had imagined. They were bumpy, noisy, rough and strenuous to handle. Eventually I grew to appreciate the thrill of "action" driving, having had the chance to drive the MX-5, Civic SIR, BMW Z4, and 3 series etc. on an extended basis.

During the time I was choosing between the BMW 320 and the IS250, I happened to see a guy trundling along in a Ferrari in front of me. He was being jolted up and down by every small bump or depression on the road. I could not see his face so I could not tell if he was smiling or grimacing (Probably both!) I knew that this would not be the type of long term driving experience I would relish on a day to day basis .

The 320 is very nice because it presents a beautiful balance of raw sporty feel in a luxurious and refined package. Its as luxurious as sporty can be or conversely, as sporty as luxurious can be! As I told my friend after test driving many other cars, including Volvo s40 turbo and Legacy GT, driving the BMW is like riding a live animal. The whole car, including the driver, just feels alive and ORGANIC. It is the dream car of many, but was it be my dream car?

Through all the years however, I never lost the youthful vision of what my dream car would be. The moment I sank into the luxuriously high-class interior of the Lexus IS250, observed the instrumentation light up, got pampered by the quiet, smooth, confident ride, experienced the light touch required to control the precise steering and felt the car surge effortlessly ahead of traffic , I knew that this was the dream car of my youth!. The IS250 did not feel like a living animal, it simply felt like NOTHING. It vanished into thin air, and there was just me and my wish to propel myself along the road: the automobile expression of Zen.

Of course many people, including nearly all automotive journalists, would not describe their ideal driving experience. as Zen. But this is to demonstrate how a dream car can mean different things to different people.

ment said:
seriously, supposed one of the car is to be given FREE, which would you want ?? :nehnehhh:

Free car (but take already cannot sell), choose either:

E90 330 or IS250 - I take E90 330

E90 325 or IS250 - I take E90 325 (but this is hard choice)

E90 323, 320 or IS250 - I take IS250

michaeltan said:
If you drive the ES300, I concur. That car is miserable.

But the ES300 is not targeted towards ANY BMW. It's targeted towards the Volvo S80 group.

So which Lexus you drive?

do u know if they are bringing the ES350 here? heard not anymore. is that true?

bmwF1 said:
don't you all find that IS250 looks very much like the new camry?

if you like the design of IS250, save the 40k and go buy the new camry.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/

Actually, for the rears, when the E90 first came out, I thought it looks like the Camry rear. Take a look at both pictures. If the E90 were silver, then .... it would look exactly like the Camry (because the white reverse light will blend with the paintwork)

camryrear7uv.jpg

e90rear6td.jpg

gadaffi said:
totally agree wit u, i have 1 too. handling is the worst, too lite for speed n not stable.
selling off soon too n back for a BMW!!

Have you ever wondered that your tracking problems were due to your car being old and in need of suspension bushing replacement? Usually, that's the case. If you were interested, perhaps you check out the relatively low cost of bushing replacement instead of buying a new car.

In any case, the E90 - before you buy it, please note that so many journalists have complained about tracking problems at high speed. Never seems to want to go straight. So do your research on this point first.

No need to wait so long. BBC Top Gear, arguably the most influential TV+magazine media for cars in the english speaking world ex-USA, has already given the IS250 the Car Of the Year award in the compact exec segment, stating that the 3-series flame surfacing was ugly and only tops the IS250 in `on the limit' performance, but loses in other ways.

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2006/01/stories/21/1.html

Your predictions are quite correct. Although some journalists may not be the best informed people in the industry. Many are like sheep. I place little credence in the `opinions' of journalists, though the facts they report should be noted.

Evo9 said:
No need to wonder. Obviously you are not even thinking before you speak.

The award was for cars manufactured (or at least started to be manufactured) in 2005.
The IS250 was only introduced to the world in 1Q 2006.

By that time, the award has aready been decided.

IMHO, that crown will be wrestled from BMW in next year's award. It will still boil down to the car designed with passion. We will see.

michaeltan said:
Free car (but take already cannot sell), choose either:

E90 330 or IS250 - I take E90 330

E90 325 or IS250 - I take E90 325 (but this is hard choice)

E90 323, 320 or IS250 - I take IS250

if someone who could get a FREE car, and yet would still take the lower value and say is his choice, it must be something wrong. coz one could sell away the BMW and still could buy the IS but not vice vesa, rite. to sum up this man is moron leh. :screwedu:

anyway, i suppose this a forum for BMW, if anyone thinks IS or EVO and etc do go the respective forum.....

ryan said:
Hi guys.

Thanks.

i thinks is time to close this threads, more and more nonsense being said leh....

achtung said:
Lets not sweat the small stuffs..... so what if the IS250 is better value than the E90 320i or the other way round?

good question. Helps me formulate my thoughts.

Yes, so what if the IS250 orthe E90 320 is better value for money?

Irrelevant, people buy according to their matrix of needs and wants - I accept this.

What I can't stand is people who bought for fictitious or misinformed reasons. Like those who say buying a E90 320 is better value for money period.

Buying the 320 E90 because the guy admits that he wants to own a blue badge no matter how lousy the value for money, because he says that his friends will laugh at him buying the Japanese IS, all are acceptable, and respect to this guy for telling us the ugly truth.

But if the same guy turns around and says - I bought the BMW because it has a quieter interior, better exterior build quality, because it is better value for money, because a german quality car is more reliable than a Japanese IS, and other untruthful reasons, there should be someone to open up a wound in that guy and rub salt on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back