Top up engine oil

porky88

Hi Bros,
Car just blink alert to top up one litre of engine oil this morning. It has about 7500km now. Checked the engine oil status on iDrive and it just hit the minimum level.

Question: what is the default engine oil in the car (F10 535i)? Easy to buy and top up oneself?

Or maybe I should just go for a oil change??

Kiamsia...

Re: Top up engine oil

any 40w oil should do the trick bro. can get mobil or castrol if u wanna play it safe

DIY. Go buy any recommended engine oil, 1 qt enough. Park car, go smoke, kopi, come back after about half hour so tat engine oil can "cool" down abit, then pour in that 1 qt and off you go. Your car will fly like A380

Depends on the brand, but less than $20

Juz drive to MX Trading if u live in the East. Buy 1 quart of Mobil 1 European Car Formula around $14. Tomorrow morning, top up b4 start engine.

very free today.. go downloaded the pdf user manual for the car...
it say recommended engine oil.. mobil 0W40 or castrol 0W30??

now i blur.. what is the default engine oil that comes shipped with the car?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pml recommends castrol which is inside your car now. I just top up using 0w40 mobil last week. Bought from petrol kiosk at $30. Dunno if is too ex as some said in earlier post can get at $14. I top up ard 300ml.

Hi all,

how often do you need to top up the engine oil? I just recently bought a used 2008 E60 LCI 520I and I had already encounter one time that I need to top up 1L of engine oil when the OBC alert suddenly came on..
Just after 3 wks and I had only clocked about 1200 KM mileage of driving ..the OBC show it is half full now so I suspect I need to top up again soon..Is this common?
I drive down to MBM wheelpower at Sin Ming..they recommend me on using Mobil 1 5W-50 to top up for my car if the OBC alert come back again and they will do a check for me when I send my car for servicing.
Need advise from all the experts here..is this oil OK?

TS, just top up my engine oil last week after about 10k km and drove back from Kuantan. BMW uses their own brand of engine oil - BMW long life 01, rated 0-40w. For one liter top up I supposed its ok to use any engine oil as long it's the same rating. I couldn't find substitute then so just drove to PML to get the engine oil. Much more ex at $40 per liter.

It's not unusual to top up engine oil every 7000 to 8000km so it's good to keep one spare bottle in your car just in case.

Hope the info helps.

Hopy29;1007671 said:
Hi all,

how often do you need to top up the engine oil? I just recently bought a used 2008 E60 LCI 520I and I had already encounter one time that I need to top up 1L of engine oil when the OBC alert suddenly came on..
Just after 3 wks and I had only clocked about 1200 KM mileage of driving ..the OBC show it is half full now so I suspect I need to top up again soon..Is this common?
I drive down to MBM wheelpower at Sin Ming..they recommend me on using Mobil 1 5W-50 to top up for my car if the OBC alert come back again and they will do a check for me when I send my car for servicing.

Hi, I am no expert here but I had my fair share of problem encountered so I can tell you after travelling for 1200km and it shows EO as half full is not normal.

This happen previously to me where 1 Quart of EO can at most last me 3000km, some bro would say this is common but mind you, the car has no leakage or stains after parking my car. After diagnosis, it was found that EO was leaking internally and out to my exhaust and this is one of the reasons why I have very smelly exhaust. Coupled with white smoke and lost of power on my ride, I decided to do a top overhaul.

Replaced all stuff that is required for a top overhaul, parts alone cost me around 3k. Having gotten my ride back, what I can say is that money well spent. Just sharing my experience.........

At what mileage? As per your avatar?

bh0322;1008041 said:
Hi, I am no expert here but I had my fair share of problem encountered so I can tell you after travelling for 1200km and it shows EO as half full is not normal.

This happen previously to me where 1 Quart of EO can at most last me 3000km, some bro would say this is common but mind you, the car has no leakage or stains after parking my car. After diagnosis, it was found that EO was leaking internally and out to my exhaust and this is one of the reasons why I have very smelly exhaust. Coupled with white smoke and lost of power on my ride, I decided to do a top overhaul.

Replaced all stuff that is required for a top overhaul, parts alone cost me around 3k. Having gotten my ride back, what I can say is that money well spent. Just sharing my experience.........

Hi thanks for your sharing..
I just purchased the car and had collected the car for less than a month .My car mileage is less than 90000km!
Hope the dealer can do something about it as I had purchased a 3 years extended warranty from an insurance company.

bh0322;1008041 said:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mine recently bought 2008 520XL also need to topup but not as bad as yours. Went to PM & said this is normal.
No choice go to JB "M-One"
They advise that for 5 series Black engine cover use 5W40, Silver engine cover use 0W40
Will try next servicing change to 5W40 original BMW engine oil at "M-One"

Hopy29;1007671 said:
Hi all,

hengch;1010204 said:
Mine recently bought 2008 520XL also need to topup but not as bad as yours. Went to PM & said this is normal.
No choice go to JB "M-One"
They advise that for 5 series Black engine cover use 5W40, Silver engine cover use 0W40
Will try next servicing change to 5W40 original BMW engine oil at "M-One"

PML everything also say normal. But luckily they didn't do anything for you also, otherwise sure get tok. You can go to any outside workshop and try to troubleshoot the problem, cheaper also....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
new88comcom1
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back