tyre warning indicator did not light up

pg9254

Hi everyone,

Need to check if there is a problem with the sensor of my tyre indicator.

I was driving yesterday when I heard noise coming from my front right wheel. i stopped my vehicle to check. I discovered that there was a big nail on my front right wheel. I drove quickly to the nearest tyre shop i could find and had it patched up. I am running on RFT tyres.

Just curious, isnt the tyre warning sign suppose to light up when this happens? The tyre shop guy told me maybe is because i discovered the nail fairly quickly as such the pressure was still Ok. He mentioned that is there is a drastic drop on the pressure the indicator will light up.

Is this normal? I usually reset my tyre pressure from the dashboard everything after i pump the air.

Re: tyre warning indicator did not light up

Time to visit one of the site sponsors and ask them to check. Fortunately you were on RFTs ........

pg9254;643041 said:
Hi everyone,

I was driving yesterday when I heard noise coming from my front right wheel. i stopped my vehicle to check. I discovered that there was a big nail on my front right wheel. I drove quickly to the nearest tyre shop i could find and had it patched up. I am running on RFT tyres.

Just curious, isnt the tyre warning sign suppose to light up when this happens? The tyre shop guy told me maybe is because i discovered the nail fairly quickly as such the pressure was still Ok. He mentioned that is there is a drastic drop on the pressure the indicator will light up.

Is this normal? I usually reset my tyre pressure from the dashboard everything after i pump the air.

The flat type indicator are install on our ABS, unlike in the states its installed on the wheels. The setup we had on ABS calculate the flat tyre based on diameter of the wheels. It will only prompt you when there it read the diameter size down more than 20%-25%.

glntan;643065 said:
The flat type indicator are install on our ABS, unlike in the states its installed on the wheels. The setup we had on ABS calculate the flat tyre based on diameter of the wheels. It will only prompt you when there it read the diameter size down more than 20%-25%.

So because he was on RFTs - the diameter did not size down enough ? Not logical.............

Does it vary with the models. Mine is e90lci. The tyre shop guy said tht mayb was bcos i discovered the nail fast and tht the pressure did not drop much.

Cld this be the reason? Anyone experienced this before?

Dear PG9254,

I guess your tyre man is correct. I experienced a big nail on one of my tyres when my car was 6 mths old too. The sensors also did not light up. (I sense the nails after i hear a hissing sound after coming home late that night.) After that, I also got it patched up immediately.

Br

go to a petrol kiosk with air pump working to test your sensor.
deflate yr tyre sigficantly and drive one round within the kiosk to see if the indicator light up.

alternately, you may want to go to a workshop to chk the sensor.

The ABS sensors sense the speed of the four wheels, and when there is one wheel with a significant lower pressure, it will turn slower than the other three. When that happens, the ABS sensors will think that there is one flat tire.

In the case of run flats, since the tires are reinforced to stand strong even when there is a puncture, the wheel does not turn much slower than the rest, thus no warning light.

This system is suppose to warn you of flat tires, not low tire pressures.

pg9254;643041 said:
Hi everyone,

Hi TS,

It is normal. It will prompt you once there is a drop of tire pressure (eg: from 250 psi down to 200psi)
I had a nail the day before (most likely during my site visits) It prompt me the next day when I drove out of my carpark. Only one think I dont like is, it will not tell you which tire went wrong. :whythis:

Cheers ~~ :)

for this you need tyre dog to bark ... woof woof

tomace;643778 said:
Hi TS,

It is normal. It will prompt you once there is a drop of tire pressure (eg: from 250 psi down to 200psi)
I had a nail the day before (most likely during my site visits) It prompt me the next day when I drove out of my carpark. Only one think I dont like is, it will not tell you which tire went wrong. :whythis:

Tks everyone for the comments. I drove down to the service centre and was told that the warning indicator will only be lighted up depending on the amount pressure loss on the tyre and not when a puncture happens.

In my case, bcos I discovered it fairly quickly and got it patched up, that was why the indicator did not light up.

Hi, i got a red indicator light on my bmw 318.... i just changed my 4 tyres with PML (yes.. i was being chopped carrot head).. but being new to owning a bmw, can anyone advise what should i do now?

Where can i get it patch back? I dont even see any nails on my tyres! :( I dont want to spend $$$ on to get a new runflat tyres anymore.

Could it be a drop in pressure?

chocolate;656365 said:
Hi, i got a red indicator light on my bmw 318.... i just changed my 4 tyres with PML (yes.. i was being chopped carrot head).. but being new to owning a bmw, can anyone advise what should i do now?

Where can i get it patch back? I dont even see any nails on my tyres! :( I dont want to spend $$$ on to get a new runflat tyres anymore.

Could it be a drop in pressure?

Any trustworthly tire workshop will be able to assist you.

tomace;656372 said:
Any trustworthly tire workshop will be able to assist you.

Would you be nice to advise where? Me stay in East :)

This BMW is giving me a headache.....

chocolate;656448 said:
Would you be nice to advise where? Me stay in East :)

This BMW is giving me a headache.....

Worry not ~~ East side can try:

Leong Seng Tyres & Automotives (LSTA)
53 Ubi Ave 1 #01-04/05,Paya Ubi Industrial Park
Tel: 6744 4280

Look for Kevin ;)

If there, do buzz me & if im available I can popby. (90493989 Tommy)

Two different things.

There is a tyre pressure monitor in our rides to measure the respective rolling circumferences of each tyre, but it does not measure loss of pressure on each tyre. That means if you park your ride for a while and all 4 tyres lost some pressure, your pressure monitor could not spot it. After you change tyres, just reset it via OBC or iDrive.

There is a device, known as TPMS, or tyre pressure monitoring sensors, which measure tyre pressure on EACH tyre individually. It is attached to the wheels/tyres. You can get aftermarket brands on this.

Hope this clear the air.

Thanks Tommy!

I guess i have no choice but to bring it down for a check. Disappointed.. just change my 4 run flat tyres with PML and this happened :( Worse thing i dont know which tyre is causing it. All look the same!

Now can only pray hard its just a minor problem.:juggle:

chocolate;656535 said:
Thanks Tommy!

I guess i have no choice but to bring it down for a check. Disappointed.. just change my 4 run flat tyres with PML and this happened :( Worse thing i dont know which tyre is causing it. All look the same!

Now can only pray hard its just a minor problem.:juggle:

Dont mention. Just enjoy yur ride ~~ :)

A vehicle sure bound to have alittle this & than problem. Its the process & ownership of it tat makes e differences. Ofcos, not to e extend of a piank engine / jam piston etc etc ~~ :)

Hope all goes well for U ~~ Cheers ~~ :)

Thanks! Got it done for $10 :)

Heeee.. 1st car abit bao bei... but also heartpain everytime got this and that... so pray hard it would be a smooth ride from now on :)

Think tonight also need see how to reset the red light off.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vvjlcomph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back