Valve Seals & Valve Cover Gasket change – white smoke problem solved – BMW E90

Re: Valve Seals & Valve Cover Gasket change – white smoke problem solved – BMW E90

Both ex gangsters, especially Rod who was the leader of 88 Red Butterfly Gang. Puay chap puay Ang Hor Tiap

Re: Valve Seals & Valve Cover Gasket change – white smoke problem solved – BMW E90

playstation76 said:
what is the background of rod or ah wee?

I dunno, some NASA scientists I think. At times I wonder what's all the site sponsors background too, but I guess they are all rocket scientists too............

Americans still stubbornly refuse to changeover to metric.

stiffzzzz;1058198 said:
Hi Aaron
Please kindly pm me the jb workshop details too. I have this intermittent smoke problem. Perhaps it is like what you've mentioned.

Ok, PM u now

seanskye;1058784 said:
There are too many workshops that profess to be 'experts' in BMWs. Many of us have had our rides f'ed up too many times in the most unimaginable ways by well-known and reputable workshops. I had my VC gasket changed four times by a big and reputable Conti workshop only to get it rectified by one of our site sponsor workshops who found that the seal was installed wrongly.

You probably need to find yourself a better workshop that knows BMWs better than just changing parts. Cheers.

I don't think Jamesbon72 is complaining about the JB workshop, but that one thing repaired led to another.

A preowned bmw is prone to problems esp a 2006 e90, unless previous owner maintained it rigorously. But in that case, why he or she would want to sell it?

Now finding a "better" workshop that knows bmw is true than simply changing parts, how well the "owner" knows his car or his bmw is equally important too.

That said, through my past experiences there are indeed capable non sponsor WS out there, which is what this forum is for, ie sharing info and experiences. There are obviously good sponsors WS here, but WS and owner must also be gam / have chemistry.

Not everyone is gam with BVO / r2d / boss etc and there's no reason why a newbie can't try some fancy WS or come back here to complain about sponsor WS! It's a forum after all, and we like to hear the good, bad, etc don't we? Lol

If you fixed your valve seals, there shouldn't be anymore white smoke due to engine oil burn off through exhaust.

If this is during early morning startup, it could just be vapor since it's quite cool in the mornings this period. Best is bring back to your trusted WS to check.

Coolant low means you could be leaking water somewhere in the cooling system, hoses, radiator, water pump, top hose, back cyl gasket etc?

Car startup due to brake pressure is also a known problem, just step harder or fix the vacuum pump.

All these are known wear and tear issues on e90. Finished fixing oil problems, next is fix water problems. Just get the proper diagnosis, fix up the car since you already bought it, and it will run good.

jamesbon72;1058779 said:
Hi Guys,

Just sharing. I'm driving an e60 (2006).

I've recently changed the Gaskets and the valves about 3 months ago. The white smoke went off but other things arises after, but then again, that's another different topic altogether. Recently though, I saw white smoke coming out from the exhaust again and as if that's not enough, the "Coolant level low" starts to signal on me "again" almost every week....zzz. Now I suspect that the coolant might have somehow sip into "somewhere" and causing these problems to arise.

With all that, recently my car refuses to startup immediately in the morning. After compressing the brake paddle for a while, it will then resume its startup process. I figure that'll be a different problem too.

I've been visiting the JB workshop for a while and though I find that their service is good, I can't help but feel that this stupid beemer is causing me too much inconvenience....sigh.

Its just not economically sane to change my ride now due to the overly inflated price. Just pray nothing major happens till the COE Run-Out-Date....

Anyone with similar challenges?

Hi All,

Thank you for all your replies and feedbacks. But like what canuck78 mentioned, I'm not complaining about WS.

Just that I need to find time to go to them that's all. Having said that, I do like my ride (canuck78 its e60 actually) compare to the Japanese ones I used to own.

But problem seems to arise every other month which could be quite a test on individual's patience. Worst if it was a repeated problem.

My coolant went for at least 2 parts change, cam shaft(used) was changed too but FOC because problem occur after Gasket & Valve change. Starter was also changed during the gasket change too. Recently thought it was battery problem for the startup but after changed still occur. So canuck78 may have hit the nail that it is the vacuum pump problem as I've also read it in some other forums.

To be fair, I must say that the Boss in JB WS knows his stuffs quite well and I do witness many Singapore Cars there too. He did the right thing by passing his skills to his mechs else he would never be able to deliver so many cars in 1 day. But I do notice that every diagnostic was done by him.

Forum is a place to share info and I got the most support from this forum ever since I got this ride. And I agree with some that there are people who are LowBallers and ngiao but there are also those who felt that that some reknown WS is sometime not up to par. In any case, the real truth will be the statistics of people praising or condemning them and definitely those who are reading to make up their mind.

I have a rule when reading forums after encountering some other forums who "hire" some tech geek to help them promote their service or goods, that is, "TAKE EVERYTHING WITH A PINCH OF SALT". It is our responsibility to do our homework and a generosity to feedback genuine opinions.

Thanks again everyone and HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR!

canuck78;1058951 said:
If you fixed your valve seals, there shouldn't be anymore white smoke due to engine oil burn off through exhaust.

If this is during early morning startup, it could just be vapor since it's quite cool in the mornings this period. Best is bring back to your trusted WS to check.

Coolant low means you could be leaking water somewhere in the cooling system, hoses, radiator, water pump, top hose, back cyl gasket etc?

Car startup due to brake pressure is also a known problem, just step harder or fix the vacuum pump.

All these are known wear and tear issues on e90. Finished fixing oil problems, next is fix water problems. Just get the proper diagnosis, fix up the car since you already bought it, and it will run good.

Great sharing guys,
That's my purpose of posting this thread, so we all can benefit from each other's experiences!

Hi jamesbon72,

Apologies I missed out yours is a e60!

You are in good hands with Francis as the first year I got my e90, my car was in his WS every month or other month until all issues got fixed.

Trust you will fix yours, it's just a bit troublesome to go so many times but for a 7-8 yo bmw, wear and tear items is bound to be high. Happy new year!

Please help: bought a '05 e90 and had oil leak so dealer agreed to fix it at his workshop. seems leak on top (valve gasket ) and probably at bottom part. ws asking me to leave car for 3 days. wonder whats usual turnaround for this kind of work...concerned car will just sit there

satomi;1060981 said:
Please help: bought a '05 e90 and had oil leak so dealer agreed to fix it at his workshop. seems leak on top (valve gasket ) and probably at bottom part. ws asking me to leave car for 3 days. wonder whats usual turnaround for this kind of work...concerned car will just sit there

It depends if specifically to change VC & oil sump (?) gasket, I think half-day is enough. But maybe your workshop got long queue or he is factoring in possibility of finding more problems or the top repair might require replacing cylinder head gasket, intake valve gasket and your bottom repair might involve .... finally he may also want to leave it overnight, test-drive for a day to check if problem solved - many reasons to justify more time. Best thing is talk to them, if you are not satisfied, plenty of other ws can do just those specific jobs.

I need some advise.

I have the oil leak issue and this can be seen looking into the engine bay and I was topping up every 2000km. The ws changed the rocker cover, gasket, seal and bolt, O-ring for solenoid, separator and vent hoses.

Unfortunately after driving about 1000km, the EO warning lighted up again. There is no visible oil leak (top and bottom), no white smoke from exhaust or oil stain on the exhaust.

WS says engine consumes oil and may need overhaul.

Overhaul seems to mean different things. Reading the threads, some overhaul seems to indicate changing the valves and seals. Some overhauls requires taking apart the engine and cleaning the pistons and sludge. I think mine will mean the latter.

Any suggestion what other possible causes could it be since the seals have been replaced and there's no visible leak?

redline15;1061723 said:
I need some advise.

I have the oil leak issue and this can be seen looking into the engine bay and I was topping up every 2000km. The ws changed the rocker cover, gasket, seal and bolt, O-ring for solenoid, separator and vent hoses.

Unfortunately after driving about 1000km, the EO warning lighted up again. There is no visible oil leak (top and bottom), no white smoke from exhaust or oil stain on the exhaust.

WS says engine consumes oil and may need overhaul.

Overhaul seems to mean different things. Reading the threads, some overhaul seems to indicate changing the valves and seals. Some overhauls requires taking apart the engine and cleaning the pistons and sludge. I think mine will mean the latter.

Any suggestion what other possible causes could it be since the seals have been replaced and there's no visible leak?

Please start ur engine for 10 mins.
Rev hard
Should u see white smoke (get a friend to stand behind and see) , ur valve seals are worn off.
U only need to replace the valve seals.
No need over haul.
Just follow my thread will solve the problem.
Till date, my car is working fine.

Replacing valve seals is not the same as top over haul or over haul.

4,000km clocked

no warning light :dance:

The WS replaced the rocker cover gasket, seals and bolt. Is that the same as the valve seal?

For the test you suggested, do I test it after letting the engine idle from cold start for 10 mins or can i do this test after driving?

Aaron_BMW;1061731 said:
Please start ur engine for 10 mins.
Rev hard
Should u see white smoke (get a friend to stand behind and see) , ur valve seals are worn off.
U only need to replace the valve seals.
No need over haul.
Just follow my thread will solve the problem.
Till date, my car is working fine.

redline15;1061790 said:
The WS replaced the rocker cover gasket, seals and bolt. Is that the same as the valve seal?

For the test you suggested, do I test it after letting the engine idle from cold start for 10 mins or can i do this test after driving?

Not the same. Please refer to the pics I have posted in this thread.

The test u can do anytime u like.

Woohoo! Me too! After change for a month now, oil level still remains the same. Dance dance revolution!

Yup, just need to have the valve seal changed. No need overhaul.
Mine was far more worst cos i need to top up 1ltr every 800km+- which is very very siong ..
Mine is fine after 1st oil changed. And now coming to 2nd oil change soon.
No need top up anymore since then. Has clocked 16k km and so far so good and i am very happy on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luck8bot
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back