Valve Seals & Valve Cover Gasket change – white smoke problem solved – BMW E90

Re: Valve Seals & Valve Cover Gasket change – white smoke problem solved – BMW E90

I'm experiencing the case of the missing engine oil.....after servicing last week, EO light appeared 3 nights ago.....topped up 2l in the morning and still the light appeared, topped up another 2l later that night. Noticed oil level is above the minimum level....about 250km later.....the dreaded EO light appeared again and to my horror the oil level is back under the minimum level....I'm losing 4l of engine oil every 250km!

Bros who faced and tackled this issue before, please recommend ws that can resolve my case of disappearing eo.....pls. Thank you in advance.

Re: Valve Seals & Valve Cover Gasket change – white smoke problem solved – BMW E90

Thanks Bro Aaron for the recommendation to see Francis.i just went to replace my valve seals .they are really very friendly and provide really good service.really impressed by their knowledge and dedication when fixing up my ride.View attachment 58368View attachment 58369View attachment 58370

silverlight;1061945 said:
I'm experiencing the case of the missing engine oil.....after servicing last week, EO light appeared 3 nights ago.....topped up 2l in the morning and still the light appeared, topped up another 2l later that night. Noticed oil level is above the minimum level....about 250km later.....the dreaded EO light appeared again and to my horror the oil level is back under the minimum level....I'm losing 4l of engine oil every 250km!

Bros who faced and tackled this issue before, please recommend ws that can resolve my case of disappearing eo.....pls. Thank you in advance.

bro.since u just did your servicing .yr ws should advice u if u r having any oil leak issues.if no leak, i think you better check your oil level sensor.cannot be topping up so frequent .really very scary

Zincman;1061968 said:
bro.since u just did your servicing .yr ws should advice u if u r having any oil leak issues.if no leak, i think you better check your oil level sensor.cannot be topping up so frequent .really very scary

Did my last service at PML, they only mentioned that there's oil stains on my aftermarket shocks.....advised me to change but as of the servicing date they mention "no safety concerns".

Last nite was my second round of 4l eo top up, will monitor through this weekend but wouldn't be surprised if everything's breaking down as I pass my 150k mark already.

Bro, since you just did up your ride, can pm me the ws and damage for the repairs pls?

Last edited by a moderator:

For those of you who replaced the valve seals, what is the downtime? Do you buy the parts and bring to the workshop?

Thanks.

silverlight;1061972 said:
Did my last service at PML, they only mentioned that there's oil stains on my aftermarket shocks.....advised me to change but as of the servicing date they mention "no safety concerns".

Last nite was my second round of 4l eo top up, will monitor through this weekend but wouldn't be surprised if everything's breaking down as I pass my 150k mark already.

Bro, since you just did up your ride, can pm me the ws and damage for the repairs pls?

If sensor is your problem then all that extra oil you're adding would cause overfilling & foaming and is not good for your engine. So its really important to be sure there really is a leak. Given the amount you're adding, if there is a leak, should not be difficult to trace it has to be coming out somewhere ... This reminds me why I am so uncomfortable that BMW do not have an oil dipstick, if you believe a low oil sensor reading - you would be topping up and most of the time you would be correct because of the known leakiness, but what if the sensor is actually reading falsely low and you merrily top up and cause foaming?

Last edited by a moderator:

redline15;1062059 said:
For those of you who replaced the valve seals, what is the downtime? Do you buy the parts and bring to the workshop?

Thanks.

I reached there 2pm. Collected my ride around 8pm. Including washing of engine bay and some software updates.

silverlight;1061945 said:

U might be losing engine oil via the valve seals OR gaskets OR some O rings. (Example crank seal O ring)

Please send ur car to a workshop to have it inspected.

Zincman;1061966 said:
Thanks Bro Aaron for the recommendation to see Francis.i just went to replace my valve seals .they are really very friendly and provide really good service.really impressed by their knowledge and dedication when fixing up my ride.View attachment 58368View attachment 58369View attachment 58370

Thanks for sharing the pics, u have very clean engine bay

silverlight;1061972 said:

I PM u the stockies and workshops now.

furiouseight;1061983 said:
Bro Aaron, can PM Francis' workshop?

PM u already.....

redline15;1062059 said:

Thanks.

Bro,

As written in my thread.
Down time since Morning till evening within the same day.

Parts bought from SG stockies is cheaper

easy;1062080 said:
If sensor is your problem then all that extra oil you're adding would cause overfilling & foaming and is not good for your engine. So its really important to be sure there really is a leak. Given the amount you're adding, if there is a leak, should not be difficult to trace it has to be coming out somewhere ... This reminds me why I am so uncomfortable that BMW do not have an oil dipstick, if you believe a low oil sensor reading - you would be topping up and most of the time you would be correct because of the known leakiness, but what if the sensor is actually reading falsely low and you merrily top up and cause foaming?

The oil level sensor is useful as it can help remind us should the engine oil level falls below the required level.
This is provided the sensor is in working condition and is not expensive to replace.

I believe his car has engine oil leakage than sensor faulty.

Just my assumption

Thanks bro. I think I understand the difference between the gasket seals and valve seals you mentioned.

Thanks for the info and this very useful thread.

Cheers

Aaron_BMW;1062105 said:
Bro,

As written in my thread.
Down time since Morning till evening within the same day.

Parts bought from SG stockies is cheaper

Hi All.

After reading all these posts, I am wondering if I should go back to PML for my 100,000 km major service.

I've always taken servicing quite religiously and punctually. But I fear that workshops may not have the thoroughness. May be it is just my paranoia. Tell me that it is indeed my paranoia.

Hi bro aaron, can pm me the info too?gg to find ome day before cny to dreplace the parts. Happy New Year!

Aaron_BMW;1062102 said:
I PM u the stockies and workshops now.

Thanks bro, I just bought the seals and gasket this morning. Hoping to get it done by Monday.

Fox1;1062149 said:
Hi All.

After reading all these posts, I am wondering if I should go back to PML for my 100,000 km major service.

I've always taken servicing quite religiously and punctually. But I fear that workshops may not have the thoroughness. May be it is just my paranoia. Tell me that it is indeed my paranoia.

Yes, I think so too.
Ha ha

Just change the following:
Alternator belt
Water pump
Coolant
Brake hoses
Spark plugs

The rest change upon damage or needed to replace.

Compare the price differences with PML and a few outside workshops and decide which one u prefer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
U888ink
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back