What is the profile of a 520 driver ... in general

Re: She drive a Jaguar - X-type I think

mwidjaya said:
Ghostrider said:
Bottomline...driver/owner happy can liao !!

Right on!

But in this case, he seems to care about what others think.

I had an Alfa in Singapore and people always ask "Why alfa?". I always says because I like it.

I always feel good after a nice drive in it. If only it was less temperamental... :inlove:

I like the new Alfa too...the 156 & 147 are lovely machines. I ask one of those Alfa seow once about the reliability issue...their answer was...you want the car to run everyday...buy a Toyota. :silenced:

Baskit...half hearted liao. I need my car to be reliable...not suka suka take MC one.

Lastly...some forum I come across view on the Zonda....say owner seow...stupid etc etc etc. Sour grapes ?? If I am the owner and pple tell me that...my reply will be "lim peh happy...cannot is it ??"

So you see...even if you drive the top of the range cars...also got pple comment...how to please everyone leh ?

Normally do you ask for maintenance report ?

Can I call PML and ask them for the car maintenance report ?

Who is the BMW Car God in the forum huh ? Can I engage your help to go test drive the car with me ? (the final test by some one who really know a BM, then I think I cannot go wrong liao :thinking: )

Of cos will buy kopi, lunch, dinner, supper also. :)

Very itchy liao, need to get my hand on one ASAP. :)

Spidy25 said:
Who is the BMW Car God in the forum huh ? Can I engage your help to go test drive the car with me ? (the final test by some one who really know a BM, then I think I cannot go wrong liao

Which religion are you following?

There are many Gods around. It all depends if you want head knowledge, or you want real hands feel.

Suggest you invite the 5er brothers to fly the test drive with you. Afterall, they have the hands-on feel of the E39.

Perhaps test drive it to the month-end meetup?

Spidy25,

Just sent u a pm....gimme me a call, we work sth out.....forget the coffee, lunch....as long as there is another happy beemer owner enuf liao :wavey:

Radon39 said:
Spidy25,

Just sent u a pm....gimme me a call, we work sth out.....forget the coffee, lunch....as long as there is another happy beemer owner enuf liao :wavey:

Wow, I like the spirit here man! So willing to lend a hand. I have quite a few good advisors here too. Must clap clap for Wilson and Allan(Piggboyz). And most recently T6 and Arsenal62. Keep up the good work guys...

gp,
It is all in teh spirit bro!

and jus found out Spidy is my neighbour..... :) :) most prolly will catch up wif him to give some advise :wavey:

would disagree with your friend. In terms of specs, the 520 is really a 523. A 525 is just a 525. A 525 and 520 has no real difference in engine delivery and drive. It sounds like she is really just looking at the label.

Don't be discouraged by your friend. The 520 is a great for its price right now.

fighterpilot said:
would disagree with your friend. In terms of specs, the 520 is really a 523. A 525 is just a 525. A 525 and 520 has no real difference in engine delivery and drive.

Huh? Care to elaborate?

fighterpilot said:
would disagree with your friend. In terms of specs, the 520 is really a 523. A 525 is just a 525. A 525 and 520 has no real difference in engine delivery and drive. It sounds like she is really just looking at the label.

Don't be discouraged by your friend. The 520 is a great for its price right now.

Huh?? That sounds very wrong bro...

520 is 170BHp and 525 is 192 BHP. Cant be the same!

:thinking:

Just want to know how many different releases of 520 (eg. facelift or new engine) was there in 2001?

The reason I asked is that a 04/01 has $47k omv while a 07/01 is only $42k.
That's quite a bit of different.

Spidy25,

The diff could be the fluctuation of the Euro....basically, there was only one model released in 2001, but in 2002/3 the models brought in had more bells and whistles for the same price, ie, the Exec version, etc. The OMV of those were around 57k

Hi Spidy,

If you're looking for the 'wow' factor, trust me, you'll still get plenty of those. Just got myself a 520i 2 months back and I still notice ppl turning their heads to have a second look at the junction( I only hope they're saying good things) :whattheh:

Anyhow, the 2.2l may be the smallest engine amongst the 5ers but the in-line 6 is still a fantastic engine. Granted, you dun pull off the line as fast but the engine runs so silky smooth that you forget that.. I totally enjoy the car and I actually look forward to driving it.. :dance:

Like what most of the ppl here are saying.. You need to like the car yourself, that's most important...

Happy hunting..

To add to Spidy question. What exactly are the changes for the face lifted version besides the bigger cc (2000 to 2200cc), white lights for the front and back and side indicators. Is the kidney shape ornamental grill in front changed? Is the bumper the same?

Spidy25 said:
Just want to know how many different releases of 520 (eg. facelift or new engine) was there in 2001?

Ok, me try to explain and see if I get it rite. Other bros feel free to correct me. The E39 was released in Singapore in 1996. It started with the 523i (2.500cc, 170bhp) and the 528i (2800cc, 192bhp). The 523i is single vanos. The 528i I am not sure.

Then in late 1998-1999, I believe the 520i was introduced (2000cc, 150bhp). This is also single vanos.

Then in early 2001, the double-vanos engines were introduced. The 520i has its engine capacity bumped up to 2200cc and 170bhp and the 525i has 2500cc with 193 bhp. A 530i was also introduced with 3000cc and 231bhp.

So theoretically, the new 520is of 2001 has power similar to the old 523i (in terms of bhp) and the 525i has power close to the old 528i (in terms of bhp).

In terms of looks, the double-vanos has different rear and front light clusters. For e,g., the double-vanos has angel eyes headlites and round foglights. But don't use that as an indication as the old single-vanos ones can be facelifted to look just like the 2001 models.

OMV fluctuates from month to month even for the same model so not indicative that it is a different model. Best to check the log card for the engine capacity and the type of PARF eligibility (whether you getting back 80% of OMV after 10 years or 65%. Generally, car registered after May 2002 will only enjoy 65% of OMV after 10 years.).

If u are looking for a used 520i with 2200cc and double vanos, do remember that within this engine size, there are different specs. The highest spec is the 520i Executive. This car has xenon headlites, rear roller blinds, rear parking sensor, clear lites all round (that means you won't see any amber casing), and rim design of a different kind although still 16". If u are luck, u might find one with GPS and front sensors as well but they are very hard to come by.

In terms of warranty, I believe cars registered from Dec 2001 onwards all enjoy 3 years warranty. So it may be best for you to hunt around for a 2002 car that was registered in say Feb - April 2001 so that you enjoy both the remaining warranty and the 80% of MOV scrap value.

Good luck to your car hunting.

Spidy25,

As T6 mentioned, the OMV fluctuates from month to month. when I registered my 1st 5series 2.2 litre on Dec 00 the OMV is only 43k and on some 2001 registered car goes as high as 48k.

Add on the extra diff on 520i executive model
Comfort seat, but do no know the montana leather is factory fitted or local
16" Rims same as the standard 525i.
less PDC F & R
3 years warranty started on Nov 01 for all new BMW

and I would like to correct the following statement
:shock:
"525 and 520 has no real difference in engine delivery and drive."

I am 100% very sure that is different based on my experienced by owning both the cars (1 year for the 520i and come close to 3 years for my present ride).

Spidy25, if you budget permit, go for higher capacity and you will be happy :)
each time you drive it. If not the 2.2 litre also very nice to own.

Spidy25 said:

cos' fr 1999-2000 they hv the M52 520i 2.0l. M54 520i 2.2l available from end 2001. the easy way will b to check if its 2.0l or 2.2l.

oso take note if its PML of PI cars. cos some PI cars dun have on board computer for 2.2l. something like tat.

This is a v sad day !

Saw a 07/01 in the paper this week, called up yesterday to view but owner not available. So I said I will arrange again today. When I called this afternoon, she said it was sold !!! :verysad:

It was only asking for $100k, negotiable. Could get around 10k depr if I get it at $95k odd. Was perfect ... but but ...

So moody now....

Spidy25 said:
This is a v sad day !

Saw a 07/01 in the paper this week, called up yesterday to view but owner not available. So I said I will arrange again today. When I called this afternoon, she said it was sold !!! :verysad:

It was only asking for $100k, negotiable. Could get around 10k depr if I get it at $95k odd. Was perfect ... but but ...

So moody now....

Dun worry bro, plenty of 520is for sale. Take your time. better still, try to find one that is already body-kitted with 18" rims. That will save u loads in coming up with cash to dress up your car. Mid 2001 models should change hands at anything from $98k to $103k.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8823

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back