.......... Which brand of petrol ??

Re: .......... Which brand of petrol ??

futron.sim;388644 said:
IT is 97....
Btw, I have been doing quite a bit of research myself regarding the petrol suitable for my 318is.

Tried Caltex platinum, gold, Esso 98, Shell 98, Vpower. Also tried these 3 brands in Malaysia.

Guess what?

I achieve the best mileage when I mix Esso 98 with Shell 98 (1/3 Esso, 2/3 Shell). I achieve almost 11.7km/L. For Esso alone, its 11.2km/L

Vpower gave me the worst mileage, just 10-10.2km/L. Msia even worse, 9.2-9.5KM/L.

Caltex platinum is around 11km/L. Gold also the same. Pumping gold in Malaysia gave me 10.3km/L.

Current on msia Esso F1. Looking very good. I reckon it should be around 11km/L as well.

I think I can safely say that Esso petrol gives me the best mileage. Power wise, not much of a difference. All around the same.

futron.sim;388648 said:
Btw, I have been doing quite a bit of research myself regarding the petrol suitable for my 318is.

Tried Caltex platinum, gold, Esso 98, Shell 98, Vpower. Also tried these 3 brands in Malaysia.

Guess what?

I achieve the best mileage when I mix Esso 98 with Shell 98 (1/3 Esso, 2/3 Shell). I achieve almost 11.7km/L. For Esso alone, its 11.2km/L

Vpower gave me the worst mileage, just 10-10.2km/L. Msia even worse, 9.2-9.5KM/L.

Caltex platinum is around 11km/L. Gold also the same. Pumping gold in Malaysia gave me 10.3km/L.

Current on msia Esso F1. Looking very good. I reckon it should be around 11km/L as well.

I think I can safely say that Esso petrol gives me the best mileage. Power wise, not much of a difference. All around the same.

Good anlysis...
BTW 318iS is the coupe with a M42 2.0l 4 potter?

actually it depends on your driving requirement.

my 523 give very good mileage from Shell 98, v power does not give much better mileage but slightly smoother and faster acceleration towards the high end.

if you dun care about fuel economy, i would suggest you try caltex platinum - good high end power

other than shell and caltex, i tried spc 98 and was disappointed by its tardy performance and not so great mileage

futron,

come to think of it, our consumption figure gotten from different fuel does not match.
perhaps its more appropriate to say that different fuel suits different drivind style & car combo.
there's no best fuel around, only most suitable...

jason

I alternate between Caltex Gold and Esso F1 in Malaysia. OK, Esso F1 gives me the best mileage but its power is a little on the low side. I could feel the car stop accelerating after 6K RPM. On the other hand Caltex Gold no problems even to 7K RPM. But mileage is slightly lower compared to Esso.

If you pump Esso F1 and still want power, you will need to add octane booster (tried liquimoly octane booster). I tried and could get the power back thought still not as good as Caltex.

just a small question... did you guys wash the fuel tank before switching to different fuel?

I haven't heard of washing the fuel tank before switching brands (is there a way btw?). But you can top up with the new brand fuel after leaving about 5L of fuel in your tank. A little bit of mixing is fine.

hi
i'm using caltex 98 now,good and smooth,
previously used shell98. previously was driving a sti 07.i switch to caltex and feels its much smoother and still is happy with it.

I had a bit of a look into this and there is a fair amount of mystery and marketing gimmikery! The best factual info is on Wikipedia and suggests that v-power has a number of RON ratings depending on year of production and market. Infact, the Aussie market used to have v-power with ethonol boosters to get to the magic 100 RON. See here:Shell V-Power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the US, VPower has 5 times the federal limits and 2.5 times higher than top tier requirements of detergents "cleaning" your engine. Link here:Would you say SHELL V POWER is the best high octane petrol? giving reasons? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

One of the better articles follows an analytical test of a number of different grades including caltex techtron and v-power with dynos and other methods of controls. The summary of the test said

"The tests show that if the 1.6 is driven by someone who is seldom in a hurry and is mostly lightfooted, then Esso's 95-octane grade is best. If on the other hand it is piloted by someone who fancies himself a driving ace, Shell's 95 is the juice of choice.
With the 2.5 turbo, 95-octane grades from Caltex and SPC seem to do the job well for relaxed drivers. And Shell 95 serves the maniac behind the wheel of this car best, too.
One more thing. The performance of each fuel across the rev range may differ somewhat as actual output is never a straight line plotted in glossy brochures.
Torque is also not expressed here, but some graphs show the V-Power-fuelled WRX climbing more steeply from 2,000 to 4,000rpm."

Full article here: 95-octane best?

And finally, another article where taxis were running on techtron for 3 months with before and after engine checks (like, taking apart the engine both before and after) stated "The deposits around the valve stems were still there but not as thick.". Article here: Motor Trader Malaysia Forum - Caltex with Techron is back!

Its worth noting that the RON rating (or octane level) indicates how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously combusts. So the higher the rating the less likely the car will "knock" - essentially miss-fire. If you have a higher compression ratio you NEED a higher RON rating. Problem is, this RON level can be artificially increased with chemicals... meaning you can make cr@p fuels for high compression engines by just adding stuff.

Personally, I have just switched to caltex techtron and the buttometer says its better.... may not be filled with so much cr@p (both detergents, chemicals and marketing)

hi Girettom
that's very enlightening!!
but i dont think i need to pump v-power , i think 98 is good enough le.:)
regards.

nYteMarE;243173 said:
call me cheap but i'm happy with the economy i'm getting with spc. haha.

SPC same price as other station also leh.. unless you mean SPC gives you better milage?

It is strongly recommended to use Ron98 fuel so as to fully unleash the "full potential" of our rides. This is especially so on those cars that utilized direct fuel injection, often with high compression ratio. If you use anything less than Ron98, your engine will operate at a slight reduced power. Our engines are equipped with anti-knock sensors and so there won't be any noticeable knocking. But for this cannot be said for some Jap brands, the engine could be damaged after prolonged use of "under-RON" petrol.

There are diverse views on which brand of petrol is good or give the best petrol. The local petrol price is the same in its class for all brands. If this is so, then use the so called "better" ones. My experience with so-called premium petrol (V-Power) has not been any different with the regular ones. The so-called enhancement in these petrol is not really appreciable, although some people swear by it! I don't really feel any of the manifestation of these "power" so to speak...

At the end of the day, the best way to improve mileage is to plan your journey, avoid traffic start/stop (I know some of us simply can't cos working in city), pump your tires, and drive your car fast (between 90 and 110).

i typically use Esso synergy8000, smoother than shell 98UL and cheaper (more citi rebates & faster to redeem free gas)

i just tried a full tank of Caltex Platinum. Apart from being more expensive, feels v good, a lil smoother than syn8000. maybe its just the effect of a new petrol cleaning up previous brand deposits. there was a thread somewhere here stating benefits of switching between brands every now and then...

i've tried Vpower too. no diff in power/smoothness b/w it and syn8000, but mileage improved slighty.

i think i'm gonna be alternating b/w caltex & esso frm now on.

I use JB F1 Petrol.
and combined with Esso 95... should be ok..

16% @ SPC for me last weekend but requires 2 separate visits to different stations :(

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motoringla

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back