Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BMW 325i E93 Hardtop Convertible

• BMW 335i E93 Hardtop Convertible with Twin Turbo engine

• Total voters
Re: Which would you choose? 3-Series Coupe VS Convertible

Ahbengdriver;190271 said:
correct this poll is like assuming there is no price consideration.

Frankly I went to see both and from a practical perspective in terms of convenience of getting in/out of a 2 door car for rear passengers, the cabrio wins hand down. You can take the top off and rear passengers just zig/zag to get into rear seats.

However, I had a diff view after I came back from genting/bukit tinggi. Ever wonder why in Malaysia, there are hardly any cabrios?

Did something bad happended? Yes, it's true that if I was living or spending lots of time with my car in Malaysia, I wouldn't buy a cabrio due to concerns about vandalism/theft. But, the E93 cabrio has a hard top.

Would choose the Hardtop cabio as it is like 2 cars in one :)
If money no issue (but which incidently is most of the time) would go for the 335.

As compromise, a 325 hardtop cabrio would still do

I'll be damn happy to own and potter around in an 325 black sap/coral red cabrio:cloud9: ............yeah, dream on, for me that is! :screwedu:

Hi Folks

I was very fortunate to have the good blessings to "own" the 335 convertible for 3 full wonderful days - over the Easter Holidays.

It is a wonderful car - don't lose much over the coupe, it is slightly heavier on the move, better balance going into a corner (IMO - vs the coupe) - stupendous flexibility and the engine is a screamer !! Consumption is less than my 323 (7.3/100kms) and I did over 250kms in 3 days.

IMO - for a difference of $30K - you get two cars in one and you should watch the stares when the roof dances !!

It's awesome.......can't wait to get mine in May.

Hey Mystic, why the better balance going into corners? Thought that the heavier roof will cause more roll due to the poor weight distribution?

Any creaks or chassis flex as well?

Azrielsc;190712 said:
Hey Mystic, why the better balance going into corners? Thought that the heavier roof will cause more roll due to the poor weight distribution?

sure you'll get flex, sure got cabrio squeaks, sure the roof is heavy.

BUT this is not a race car. It's a good driving, the best driving, cabrio this side of a Gallardo.

Azrielsc;190712 said:

Hi Sam,

Better balance into the corners because the overall CG is lowered when the roof is stored in the boot. Besides, storing the roof in the boot tends to shift the weight bias towards the rear (you get something like a Porker 911 weight distribution in the same sense). Of course this helps a bit when going into the corner.

1) Approach corner
2) Perform the mandatory braking
3) Weight shifts to the front (rear bias when roof is down >>> weight distribution tends towards perfect 50:50 during braking)
4) Goes into corner with "fake" perfect weight distribution

Of course we don't know how much the distribution is but its just for illustration purpose.

Physicist;190731 said:
Hi Sam,

Better balance into the corners because the overall CG is lowered when the roof is stored in the boot. Besides, storing the roof in the boot tends to shift the weight bias towards the rear (you get something like a Porker 911 weight distribution in the same sense). Of course this helps a bit when going into the corner.

1) Approach corner
2) Perform the mandatory braking
3) Weight shifts to the front (rear bias when roof is down >>> weight distribution tends towards perfect 50:50 during braking)
4) Goes into corner with "fake" perfect weight distribution

Of course we don't know how much the distribution is but its just for illustration purpose.
You seem to imply that the Cab is better than the coupe.

I cannot accept that assertion. Surely the cab is much more compromised than the coupe.

Well we have to wait for reviews from the brits. They can really talk.

Holy shiit no I'm not implying anything. Just stating facts. Of course the Coupe is much stiffer than the the Cab and that itself speaks more than anything where track is concerned.

Magazine reviews stated that the Cab is just that lil more prone to understeer (good or bad... its subjective) and feels softer (again subjective).

Oh btw caySman, we're both stick shift lovers :)

any advise to go for manual or auto as going to book this weekend for 325ic.
Thks,

Derek Png;190752 said:
any advise to go for manual or auto as going to book this weekend for 325ic.
Thks,
I'd think that you cannot ask people whether get the auto or manual. This is such a personal decision.

If you doubt, better go auto. Can't go far wrong. The ZF auto is great, though for the 325 it's not the clutch lock torque converter.

the only reason why you want a manual is because you're crazy about it. For a more focussed car, it's no problem to get a manual from the resale point of view. For this car, you better take auto if you're afraid of resale. Your resale value will drop if manual, unless export.

Thks Bro, i love manual if have a choice to decide.

Now that I think about it, you may not have a chance to decide. Me talking through my ass - Your resale value will really drop unless you sell it just before 5 years. If have to sell in local market (no export) you're in trouble.

Anyway, what they tell you the waiting list was like? I heard that you order now, you get after Sept/Oct or something. For manual, wow... i think PML has no quota for that. So exceptional quota maybe even worse waiting time. You should check with your SE.

Hi Azrielsc

why better going into corner ?

I think the bulk of the additional 200kgs are concentrated on the chassis strengthening (the roof is only 40 kgs and sounded kinda plasticky when knocked ) ....which could make the car feel more planted

anyway - people who will buy the the convertible - don't do it to set land records... they just want to see and be seen ( I wanted the Cayman S - my missus says its too noisy )

roof down - I didn't feel any flexing ( I had a E46 cab previously!! )

MYSTIC;190787 said:
( I wanted the Cayman S - my missus says its too noisy )

And there are tons of people who say it's not noisy enough on the Cayman forums. :) to the extent they spend a fortune on aftermarket exhaust and Porsche's own Sport Exhaust (press a button and the exhaust will sound louder without giving you any change to the torque curve).

I bought the new MBI publication, the Thrill of the Chase, which was a book I finished in an hour since it was full of pictures (save your money, don't buy the book). It had an interesting piece though, because of Porsche's failure with the 924, 928 and 944 - the main reason being that these cars were not sufficiently Porsche-like - about 50 engineers spent months with the Cayman S to take out the unwanted sound (valvegear clashing, engine vibration, etc) and amplifying the WANTED sounds (basically the signature sound of the 993 air cooled engine, by tuning the exhaust, the VarioRAM resonance air intake, and VarioCam phases).

If your missus found it noisy, these guys have done a great job. Yes the sound is NOT real, it's pretty much synthesized, but wow it sounds good to me.

I took the Cayman S for a test drive, and I can say that I have never enjoyed an engine sound more. It really is the best car you can get for under half a million or so....mind telling us how much it is setting you back after you put in a few basic extras? It was the price of those extras [especially the leather!] that finally put me off. As I've said before, it's better than a 335...but 100K better?

Different folks - different strokes

I always believe that you should buy what you want - you don't have to give a hoot what others think

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789wintoday

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back