Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BMW 325i E93 Hardtop Convertible

• BMW 335i E93 Hardtop Convertible with Twin Turbo engine

• Total voters
Re: Which would you choose? 3-Series Coupe VS Convertible

Suipalucsea;190913 said:
I took the Cayman S for a test drive, and I can say that I have never enjoyed an engine sound more. It really is the best car you can get for under half a million or so....mind telling us how much it is setting you back after you put in a few basic extras? It was the price of those extras [especially the leather!] that finally put me off. As I've said before, it's better than a 335...but 100K better?

yes it was the sound which made me buy it, even though it was an engineered sound.

Seems that the discount structure in Stuttgart Auto is less than generous to first time porsche buyers like me. Mainly because of money, I got the Cayman with options:6 speed Getrag, PASM adaptative suspension and the Sport Chrono (funny clock) engine and throttle remap option. Total price of the car is about S$248K minus an insignificant negotiated discount just to make me feel good.

I kept the 17" wheels because new wheels can be bought here instead of being taxed automotive tax. I was not willing to pay the tens of thousands of dollars required for the leather, getting alcantara everything except the leather steering. If I want later I can ask a local leather house to do it up. Just got the stuff which was absolutely impossible to do aftermarket.

But back to the subject, and sorry for the OT.

Hi CaySman

can you please pm me your sales rep in Stuggart - I want to buy one too at your price !!!

I was quoted last week - $291 for manual, PASM, Sports Chrono and metallic Mateo Grey on standard Carrera GT 18 inch rims and half leather (full leather on seats )

Thanks

MYSTIC;191006 said:
Hi CaySman

can you please pm me your sales rep in Stuggart - I want to buy one too at your price !!!

I was quoted last week - $291 for manual, PASM, Sports Chrono and metallic Mateo Grey on standard Carrera GT 18 inch rims and half leather (full leather on seats )

Thanks
I think overlooked the fact that your price is for CAYMAN S. I am not so rich to buy the Cayman S. I bought the Cayman 2.7L.

As for Sales Rep in Stuttgart, there are several to contact as everybody knows. Arj is the old timer, and he's probably a well off guy I guess, and there are newer people like Vivien. The traditional assumption is `who's more hungry get better discount' but for me, I hardly subscribe to this opinion anymore.

Many of the old timers know Arj, and so I work with him. And he's a very nice professional guy. An enthusiast himself, he knows the specs inside out. And if what was represented to me is true, SA may not have that much pricing leeway anymore.

You may also want to explore the PI market. For the Cayman the price differential before any negotiation, is S$20K. This is minus the VIP warranty package which, though debatably unnecessary, is nice to have. The aftersales is great for PI also. The OMV MIGHT be lower for the PI car. All in all, I plan to keep the car, which negates quite a lot of the price differential.

caySman,

Any reputable aftermarket workshops out there besides Flat 6?

err... i prefer to start new thread lah...

anyway, several workshops out there, but recently, autoconcepts regarded as the KING because it took Stuttgart's Ah Wai the genius as reported by some members of this forum.

Just a silly question... for a hardtop convertible, how does it keep the rain out? Since there are seams in the mechanized parts, won't water seep in overtime?

edit - also, what will happen if you open up the cover after a rainy day. Will the wet roof make the whole boot "seh kor" (mouldy) if its kept inside without wiping the water off first?

just a thought, as i was thinking about it due to recent heavy rains.

You should *never* open a convertible top when it is wet, whether canvas or metal.

I don't know whether folding hard-tops start to leak after a while, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do. The canvas ones very often do!

noticed there is an item in the 335 Cabrio called :wind deflector. Yo, whats this man. How does an open top car deflect wind? kekekeke

It's a thing that blocks air from coming into the cabin from behind, assuming that you have the side windows up. A lot of convertibles have them these days; not all of them are very effective. Mainly used in those lucky countries where it gets cold.

The wind deflector is an item usually supplied with most 4 seater convertibles. This is a foldable frame structure with netting which owners can clip on above the rear seats.

This item basically reduces the wind buffeting that occurs at speed when the wind flows past the front windscreen and then "wraps" back into the cabin. The deflector helps to block the rushing wind from doing this.

Imho, i've never used it for my convertible, 'cos i prefer the full open air "rushing-wind-in-me-hair" feel, after all thats what a convertible is for right? :)

I guess its more suitable for tai-tais who want to keep their puffy permed hair intact... i dunno, haha. :)

It's a screen between the seats (or just behind), so that at speed, airflow doesn't "dip" into the cabin area, so that turbulence/windnoise is minimised there... :eek:

A wind deflector is designed to allow you to drive at higher speeds with the roof down.

Otherwise, the turbulence caused in the car's interior by the wind would make it too uncomfortable to drive fast.

But even with a wind deflector, there is a limit on how fast you can drive topless without feeling uncomfortable.

I thought about getting a wind defecltor for my E46 cab, but decided against it after thinking about how few times I would actually want to use it. I certainly wouldn't drive topless on the NS.

thanks for all the hiadees explainooe on wind deflector..:)

But we still have no freaking idea whats 'hot climate version'...kekeke

I think again about this whether wanna do coupe or cabrio.

After trying cab, I think I missed the point. The cab and coupe both drive almost same. BUT, the big difference is the rear seat space. It is very small. The boot with roof up is also very small compared to coupe. With the roof down, it is very very very small.

I think that this would be the factor you should consider as utmost.

a couple of us went down yest to PML to see the new coupe 3 and cabrio hardtop. I must say that i do not like the hardtop when it's up, just too many lines, wah lan the car looked so messy, BUT with the top down, gotta say it looks pretty eye-catching.

Find the cab looks strange from the rear 3/4 angle. With the roof up. Very abrupt ending to the window line. But roof down, its lovely..

yup!!.. exactly...

Saw 1 335i and 1 325i test cars on the road... a bit funny to see them being driven top up though!!! Nice cool day to test it out with the top down.

Finally met 1 other 335i coupe on the road, SG with black interior! :)

With the top down, the new cab looks :drool: to me. Otherwise, it's kinda awkward especially in a light colour...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789wintoday

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back