Why not X3?

ben1

Was considering getting the 523 recently. Test drove it, felt a little detached esp with the new gear system though the car was reasonably smooth and very comfortable.
Performance wise, will be taking a power cut with the 523 but bcoz I have mellowed and my chiong days are considered over :)

For the fun of it, the SE suggested I try the X3 2.5Si.
Liked the higher sitting position but surprisingly, it felt more engaging to drive than the 523. Maybe I prefered the 'older' gear position as it seems to fall in my palm better. Though taller, it felt planted even when taken slightly fast along some twisties.

Spec wise, it has the performance of the 525 yet 10k lesser than the 523.
OMV, the X3 is almost same as 523 (based on OMV figures from LTA)
IMO, it is better bang for buck.

My question is actually why so few X3 compared to 523 when the former represents better value?

Re: Why not X3?

cos many ppl think the X3 is fugly...

and in Singapore context...many will also think its 'lesser' compared to the X5...

but if it suits your needs why not? am sure you will grow to like it...

It's market segmentation.

PML knows they can charge towkays wanting the 523 more.
Despite the similar OMV.

So there's a value arbitrage opportunity there.

But. like pilotsnoops says.
X3 is seen as a "lesser car", relative to the 523 which is seen on par with the X5.
IMHO its been hit hard with the ugly stick anyway.

I drive a 3. Love it.
Even if you offered me a 5 for the same money.
I wouldn't take it.

It's all about perception.

Bro, some info to share (may not be 100% accurate, especially the price.)

Price
X3 - $168k / $53k
523 - $183k / $54k
525 - $197k / $58k

Power / Torque (all 3 are 2.5L engines)
X3 - 218bhp / 245Nm
523 - 190bhp / 235Nm
525 - 218bhp / 250Nm

Kerb Weight
X3 - 1805kg
523 / 525 - 1600kg

There are of course some minor differences to the top speed and 0-100km/h timing, but for me not too important so I didn't list them out.

ben1;342158 said:
Spec wise, it has the performance of the 525 yet 10k lesser than the 523.
I think the performance is similar to 523, but not 525.

ben1;342158 said:
My question is actually why so few X3 compared to 523 when the former represents better value?
For $10k less, it seems X3 is better buy. But it is heavier also, and one is a 4WD while the other is a RWD.

But for day to day driving, they should serve the same purpose. Maybe most people in Singapore prefer a sedan than a SUV. But I don't mind getting one in the future, especially when I have back problem and have problems getting into low cars (X3 is good in this sense).

niteblu;342181 said:
It's all about perception.
Ar, that's exactly the point. It's just perception. I think it has only been a short period since the SUV market was developed. In most people's mind, maybe they still perceive SUV as a vehicle for driving in the jungle, and not one for driving the client out for lunch.
But again it is just "other people's perception". We are the one driving the car. So we should just get one which we are happy with when we drive it everyday.

So Ben1, if you like the X3, go for it!

Whats wrong with an X3? I totally love mine... handle as well as a sedan too.

BlackStealth;342279 said:
Whats wrong with an X3? I totally love mine... handle as well as a sedan too.

nothing wrong with it...as i said ppl whom go beyond the looks will grow to love it...

f care perception...

C3P0;342200 said:
Price
X3 - $168k / $53k
523 - $183k / $54k
525 - $197k / $58k

Power / Torque (all 3 are 2.5L engines)
X3 - 192bhp / 245Nm
523 - 190bhp / 235Nm
525 - 218bhp / 250Nm

Kerb Weight
X3 - 1830kg
523 / 525 - 1600kg

Bro, thanks for the breakdown but the latest X3 2.5Si actually has 218bhp/250Nm, same as the 525

pilotsnoopy;342162 said:
cos many ppl think the X3 is fugly...

and in Singapore context...many will also think its 'lesser' compared to the X5...

Hmm... fugly.. ok only CO can answer this :)

X5 3.0 is abt $1/4 Mil.. 'lesser' in this sense is saying something similiar like can't afford 911 that's why get Cayman, then getting X3 is like can't afford X5.
To me never mind, I poor :laughlik:

Was quoted $160k nett. Wonder if anyone can get better price.
This does not include the pano roof and xenon lights

ben1;342306 said:
Bro, thanks for the breakdown but the latest X3 2.5Si actually has 218bhp/250Nm, same as the 525
Oops, you are right. pai seh :)

Other than perception and its fugliness, are there other concerns in getting the X3, especially pertaining to reliability, FC, quality, resale etc..

Thanks

let me see if i can find a nice 'Young' lady to come in and give her inputs about her X3...

Personally i'll go for X3. Yes, X3 is viewed as a lesser X5 in some people's eyes but who cares if you love the price and look. Go with your heart.

my cousin in law and aunt both decided on the X3 over the 5 series because of the versatility it offered.

and i've not heard of any issues they'd had with their cars, in terms of reliability. if you're just getting it as an everyday utility vehicle, i think it'll be quite suitable. just remember not to go off roading in it. :)

ben1;342556 said:
Other than perception and its fugliness, are there other concerns in getting the X3, especially pertaining to reliability, FC, quality, resale etc..

Thanks

Hi bro, for FC: just check with my colleague, she said $100 worth of 98 petrol can run 300km.
Not sure how she drives, but that's what she says.

Hope it's useful for you.

C3P0;342888 said:
Hi bro, for FC: just check with my colleague, she said $100 worth of 98 petrol can run 300km.
Not sure how she drives, but that's what she says.

Hope it's useful for you.

That's right ! my E90 FC also around there.

WooolfyPrincesss;342950 said:
I totally agree tat e current X3 is e same as 525. But, it all boils down to wat u prefer. Sedan or SUV?? The feel is totally different.
I personally feel tat X3 is younger, trendier n hippier compared to e X5, which is more family orientated. Or rather, more of a "Uncle" car. Tats why i choose e X3 to the X5.:cloud9:
And also, depending of your needs of usage. eg: If you need LARGE Boot space...then, X3 or X5 would be good. If its juz for normal usage, 5 series Sedan will well be good enough.

Thanks for your inputs WooolfyPrincess :)
I'm an UNCLE but I feel younger and hip :laughlik:

Agree, the boot of the X3 would come in handy to haul the shoppings, bikes, golf bags etc.. Also, less common than the 5 series (sorry, no offense to 5 series owners)

Am concerned of the FC though $100 Ron98 for 300km is :ultrasho:

Maybe wait for the X3 2.0d, 177bhp/350Nm, FC 6.7l/100km

I just got a used X3, the one with the M54 engine. (cause i have the option to go back to my usual nonsense mods)

Depreciation is about $11-13k if you get a used one. I have been looking around and there are only a few (maybe 2 out of 7) really good conditioned ones around. So far, have been doing some research, it seems that the reliability&maintainence of the X3 is pretty good.

Only three common complaints from all reviews on all year models are:

1)Fuel Consumption (Better FC with the newer engines (late 06 onwards)
2)Stiff Ride Quality (especially more pronounced on the sports package) I LOVE IT!
3)No matter what BMW says, it's not an off-roader. Dont try it.

I put in $150 and gets about 550km driving MOST conservatively on mostly highways, hence, i am bleeding too in the petrol department.

As for the xenons/adaptive headlights/running boards/racks etc... one can get them from ebay rather than paying a bomb at PML. I have checked and even took down all the part numbers.

As for space, i feel that the interior of the X5 compared to the X3 isnt THAT much bigger..same for the boot space. And if you wanna compare FC for X3 and X5 as compared to space vs mpg??? Then i think one must be very confused between wanting image and FC minded- given today's cost of fuel.

As for being lesser than an X5?? Hmmm never thought about it. Arent there 2 seperate categories? I may feel 'abit' lesser by 500cc - if i was next to a 3.0 lItre X3. But only by horsepowermind, not image (And i cannot find them legally anywhere in Singapore, but all one have to do, is to call "D" for heart surgery)

After talking a lot of cock, i also feel X5 is nicer than X3-for the price of another toyota corolla. It's way more expensive to buy and to maintain for the SAME purpose of usage. (Does X5 still only seat 5?)

What else? Oh, i have bicycle racks for sale for the X3. Anyone interested?

Oh Oh, last but not least, I chose the X3 because--there are not many on the road. I kinda like that idea. Might be stupid to some, but i like the looks, the budget fits me, usage serves my purpose and ITS not everywhere on the road.

BlackStealth,

Did you get your X3 the same time as me? We met at the dealership?
Haha, getting rid of bicycle racks already?

IMHO, X3 is less common than ubiquitous 5 series and has more road presence. Most people do not view 5 series as same league as X5... X5 is really another league up, somewhere between 5 series & 7 series, in fact closer to 7 series.
X5 now comes with option for 7 seats, although last row is impossible.

X3 is now really good value for money. Only thing to beware is that a new X3 will likely be launched in the next 1-2 years, so preferably buy used to avoid getting hit there.

Off topic but I just went up to KL and got 10-11km/L on NS highway. It's possible man if drive with light foot.
Most times I get 6km/L :-(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unshortennet1

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back