X3 Audio Set up

henry2703

Hi Guys,

need to check something really quick.

Took over an X3 from a friend recently.

Not particularly happy or unhappy with the audio system. But was thinking of enhancing it with some new speakers and perhaps tweeters...

1) how many speakers are there in the X3? and what sizes?

2) What can i change to? keeping it budget though... $500 or $600 max...

Sorry i am cheapo.. :)

Re: X3 Audio Set up

For 500 bucks, just look at adding an active sub to your system. IMO that would make the biggest difference. Besides, you dont have much to play with at that kinda budget :)

southpaw23;615963 said:
For 500 bucks, just look at adding an active sub to your system. IMO that would make the biggest difference. Besides, you dont have much to play with at that kinda budget :)

I am small time for car system.. simply because i never thot cars interior is the best setup for audio. Hence, I can't bear to part with big money for car set up, honestly...

And i've learnt from past experience with home set up that, money is almost definitely most well spent in Speakers... so i am applying that to cars as well. Change the speakers and slap on the tweeter with a simple cross over, i should get a lot better sound than what it is currently churning out.

I am not looking for fantastic stuff... i think there are 6 speakers in the car, since the BMW business module is 6 X 25 Watt.

Any good spreakers to recommend? the size looks like 4 inch...

The problem with getting new speakers is that you'll probably need a new amp to power them as well. The stock amp in the car will most likely be unable to efficiently power the new speakers in the car.

Sure you can still slap on a new pair of speakers and you'll hear a marginal improvement but dont expect significant improvements in SQ. The reason why i mentioned the sub is cos it'll allow u to play the full range of frequency in the car which is probably lacking at this point, specifically in the lower frequency. So you'll end up with a much 'fuller' sound within the car.

Again, all this based on the budget that you're putting forth as well. If you're willing to increase your budget to say a grand, then probably a better alternative would be to invest in an amp and a decent pair of component speakers and you should be good to go.

And perhaps you may wanna explore looking into second hand stuff as well, that might be another cheaper alternative that might allow you to stick within your budget. Try checking out a local audio forum called sgsoundsystem for decent deals on second hand stuff. Think you can google them to get the URL.

Good luck on this.

one thing is the money... 1 k is not that much..

But i would hate to have an extra amp in the boot, as i use the boot space quite often..
i can't have it under the seat as well.

Visually as well as the lack of an ideal place to install is more the reason why i don't want the upgrade.

And since i don't want to install the amp, there is a ceiling to how much improvement i can achieve.

I might as well lower my budget... $500 shoudl be able to get me some component speakers? I need 4 pairs, and i believe there's 2 woofer under the seats, Those may or may not need to be replace.

What do you think?

If the budget really isn't the main concern, and it's aesthetics and space that concerns you, then might i suggest you invest in a decent compact amp. I personally use a JL Audio HD600/4 series amp and gotta say, i'm lovin it :). Compact and produces really clean amplification. Only problem is you gotta get them shipped from the US.

Alternatively, Alpine makes a range of PDX amps that are of equal size. Getting a 4 channel amp should serve your purpose fine and i'm sure if you work with the installers, they'll be able to find a suitable spot to locate the amp.

As for the speakers, if the X3 setup is anything like the 3 series, then you probably have a 6.5 under seat woofer, 4inch mids and tweeters, which means you'll just need to get a 3 way component setup as a replacement. Again, i'm still doubtful that the stock amp is going to efficiently power these speakers but i'm no expert

Here's a shot of my old install in the E46. As you can see, i didn't take up too much room in the trunk. The sub box was only a little over 6 inches thick and the amp sat nicely at the side of the trunk.

henry2703;617926 said:
one thing is the money... 1 k is not that much..

But i would hate to have an extra amp in the boot, as i use the boot space quite often..
i can't have it under the seat as well.

Visually as well as the lack of an ideal place to install is more the reason why i don't want the upgrade.

And since i don't want to install the amp, there is a ceiling to how much improvement i can achieve.

I might as well lower my budget... $500 shoudl be able to get me some component speakers? I need 4 pairs, and i believe there's 2 woofer under the seats, Those may or may not need to be replace.

What do you think?

if you are not really into high-end car audio, and just would like "some" improvements with aftermarket 2-way component speakers, i would recommend that you complement them speakers with "affordable" class d car audio amplifiers; big on clean rms power, small in size & efficient; e.g. pioneer's gm-d9500f, or rockford fosgate's r-300 4-channel, both class d car audio amps, or similar class d amps from other brands.

:) i am not in the car audio industry, and do not own any of the said products above. just sharing.

southpaw23;617974 said:
If the budget really isn't the main concern, and it's aesthetics and space that concerns you, then might i suggest you invest in a decent compact amp. I personally use a JL Audio HD600/4 series amp and gotta say, i'm lovin it :). Compact and produces really clean amplification. Only problem is you gotta get them shipped from the US.

Alternatively, Alpine makes a range of PDX amps that are of equal size. Getting a 4 channel amp should serve your purpose fine and i'm sure if you work with the installers, they'll be able to find a suitable spot to locate the amp.

As for the speakers, if the X3 setup is anything like the 3 series, then you probably have a 6.5 under seat woofer, 4inch mids and tweeters, which means you'll just need to get a 3 way component setup as a replacement. Again, i'm still doubtful that the stock amp is going to efficiently power these speakers but i'm no expert

Here's a shot of my old install in the E46. As you can see, i didn't take up too much room in the trunk. The sub box was only a little over 6 inches thick and the amp sat nicely at the side of the trunk.

yup, the alpine pdx line of class d amps are stackable, like lego blocks.

for jl audio, try autotrend enterprise pte ltd, blk1002 toa payoh industrial park, s319074. not sure if this shop is an authorized jl audio dealer, but i see lots of products from this brand inside this shop. jl audio is really good stuff, just that its amplifier's output impedance is a bit unique, and not the industry norm, but it matches the jl audio speakers' impedance.

i know about the above shop 'cos i usually go kaypoh in the shop when my wife shops at the toyogo factory outlet nearby.

Thanks guys for all your comments... and the Picture is certainly very helpful.

I am still not sure about the boot space for the X3. For E90, its easy, can chuck it in the spare wheel well, but that same well is filled up in the X3. i don't quite like the idea of the amp hanging on the side. Have to see it in person.

Thanks for the recommendation on the shops as well.

Question:
1) Do you guys go to Pin Liang? is it any good?
2) if i still decide to just change the 4' speakers on the door to component speakers and swap oout the 6.5' subwoofer, any particular recommendation? are the focal stuff good? or any i better off with the pioneer stuff?

henry2703;618311 said:
Thanks guys for all your comments... and the Picture is certainly very helpful.

I am still not sure about the boot space for the X3. For E90, its easy, can chuck it in the spare wheel well, but that same well is filled up in the X3. i don't quite like the idea of the amp hanging on the side. Have to see it in person.

Thanks for the recommendation on the shops as well.

Question:
1) Do you guys go to Pin Liang? is it any good?
2) if i still decide to just change the 4' speakers on the door to component speakers and swap oout the 6.5' subwoofer, any particular recommendation? are the focal stuff good? or any i better off with the pioneer stuff?

just to share: try http://www.phpbbserver.com/sgcaraudio/
look for "unc bob" (nick: BobcatSysOp), one of the senior moderators. friendly bunch of icers. there's are two meet ups a week for this ice forum where any newbie can audit various ice set ups, from the basic "amp & speaker" upgrade to the "money no object" set ups.

8)

Henry, there is really no easy ways to just pop 500-600 to hope to improve the sound system in your X3 slightly. If slightly better is what you want, then I will advise you to spend the money polishing your car and live with the stock audio setup.

3 years ago, I did something basic to improve the sound while retaining stock HU and door panels (without cutting and drilling, etc). I changed the speakers and subs and added an amp. In my opinion, an amp to power your new speakers is a must because the stock HU will not be able to power them and it will be a complete waste of money. This simple setup cost me around 3K, which is very low in the audio world. I did not regret since I spend at least 2 hours daily in the car going to work and returning home. If you plan to keep this X3 for a few years, I think it is worth the money investing in something decent to listen to.

To your question on Pin Liang. I used to go to them long time ago and I will say that they are good with Japanese cars. They will recommend cutting and chopping up panels for speakers and amps and I don't think that is what you want. If you want the stock BMW look, go to Soundwerkz and look for Kelvin. They are very familiar with conti cars, especially BMWs. Kelvin has done so many BMWs and I am sure he will advise you accordingly. Look for him under the site sponsor section.

Thanks Pengful,

Yah... was down at sooundwerks 2 evenings ago. This morning i pop my car over to him for the installation.

i haven't sample his workmanship, but at least he is honest. Told him i want to getr my mid range vocal right, his response was it can't be done! didn't even try to upsell me more expensive things, other shops have been trying..

Anyway, got a amp and 4 speaks + 2 tweeters.

Good thing about the X3, is (according to kelvin) has so much space, a lot of things can be hidden. So the Amp is suppose to go into the recess area in the boot. The speakers will stay where they are now. Tweeter will be mounted at the inside of the triangle at the side mirror.

The reason about not wanting to spend more is because i hardly use that car. My wife is the main driver, and she doesn't even turn on the radio.

i guess the world of Car audio has changed quite a bit. I used to have a civic, and with $1.2k, i could get a DAB, front and back speakers with tweeters, all installed at Pin Liang. No cutting or sawing. I don't usually listed to bassy music, so while i like the bass to be tight, it doesn't have to be over powering.

Will feed back on how the installation went and whether the extra money over my small budget was worth the dough.

Thanks to everyone for your kind advise and words.

henry2703;619002 said:
Thanks Pengful,

Yah... was down at sooundwerks 2 evenings ago. This morning i pop my car over to him for the installation.

i haven't sample his workmanship, but at least he is honest. Told him i want to getr my mid range vocal right, his response was it can't be done! didn't even try to upsell me more expensive things, other shops have been trying..

Anyway, got a amp and 4 speaks + 2 tweeters.

Good thing about the X3, is (according to kelvin) has so much space, a lot of things can be hidden. So the Amp is suppose to go into the recess area in the boot. The speakers will stay where they are now. Tweeter will be mounted at the inside of the triangle at the side mirror.

The reason about not wanting to spend more is because i hardly use that car. My wife is the main driver, and she doesn't even turn on the radio.

i guess the world of Car audio has changed quite a bit. I used to have a civic, and with $1.2k, i could get a DAB, front and back speakers with tweeters, all installed at Pin Liang. No cutting or sawing. I don't usually listed to bassy music, so while i like the bass to be tight, it doesn't have to be over powering.

Will feed back on how the installation went and whether the extra money over my small budget was worth the dough.

Thanks to everyone for your kind advise and words.

Good to hear and let us know the outcome.

ha ha... sure do...

will update but don't expect incredulous sound like those coming from your rides.... mine would be mickey mouse

Hey Melvin!

nice to see you around... you still driving the E90?

anyway, Review time.

I pop my ride down to soundwerks.

Installation:
Top notch. my wife didn't even realised the tweeter was not there in the first place. The fittings and the hiding was good. nothing can be noted with naked eye. thumb up.

Equipment:
Can't really comment, as i was on a budget upgrade, i didn't go around testing. I used the Audison SR4 and some 4" Rainbow speakers with tweeters for the front. Left the stock speakers at the back alone. the equipment was recommended by soundwerks, i presumed they are of a reasonable quality.

SQ after installation:
I would not have gone for it, if i knew it was going to turn out this way.

Reason, the tweeter sits higher then the mid range. Probably because of the amplification, the higher frequency is now more pronouced.
Couple with that fact, higher frequencies are more directional than mid and low frequency.

The end result is that i pick up a lot more of the sound coming from my right then my left.

Of course i could have use the balance adjustment to equal that, but that would means an extremely loud left hand side for my passenger, if any.

There were other suggestion by soundwerks, for example a time delay, but i don't think it would solve any issue.

They tried to tune the effect away, but didn't seem to work at all.

I'm actually at a lost now, it has become a bit irritating for me to constantly pick up that sharp sound. I can't lower the treble, because that makes the sound become muffled.

That aside, Playing CD sounds pretty alright, but playing Radio, it sounds really bad still. I am just wondering if it is a HU problem.

Verdict: i wish i hadn't spent the money, Seriously....

But since i already done it, can anyone advise how to get it right?

The sitting posture and tweeter / mid range arrangement is not that unique in the X3. In fact, if i have my E90, i figured out the front speakers and the underseat woofer will still be in the same position.

This review is not made to be a bad feedback on Soundwerks. Their installation is good. I can't judge for the tuning, until someone can tune the problem away. I just don't remember having the same problem with my other cars, previously.... and I seriously don't think sitting and speakers position is the reason.

Those guys were helpful, and i am sure given a bigger budget, they would probably have done a better job. Perhaps the cause was due to limited budget that i had. I was only prepared to spend 1.5k and only had budget for 1 amp and 2 front speakers.

The set up was as such:-
Audison SR4 drives the 2 front speakers and the underseat 6.5"

the HU drives the rear speakers.

Oh Yah, my brother and i were there, we both thought with that budget. i will be getting SR4 plus 4 speakers... but was told that it is only 2 front speakers... I'm prepared to let that passed, given that it could be miscommunication... I don't know.. The left right problem is something i'm more keen to solve.

Last edited by a moderator:

based on your description, what you have is a passive system. to have tuning that you described, would require an active system (with a stand alone dsp), or a head unit that can play active = both require more $$$.

for good passive systems, it is the quality of the speaker's crossovers, and the placement of speakers with reference to your seating position in the car.

maybe you could have audited some car set ups based on your requirements before the install.

Hi Zeee,

I know what you are saying, But that isn't the solution i am after, to be honest.

I can always tune the balance, to have that balance effect, so that the sound seems to be coming from the middle, instead of from the right. but that would mean that for the rest of the passengers, they will be hearing the sound from the left. Not Ideal.

i have sat in cars where the sound is very balance, without additional active amps or pre amps. There aren't many X3 on the raod to begin with, so i couldn't have audited how it would sound like in a X3.

I am actually thinking of removing the Cross over, so that the tweeters won't sound so sharp, but i am not exactually sure if that would work too...

Henry,

Yes. I am still driving my E90. Seriously, I believe u have to try the balance as your system is a passive setup. Unless you have a HU capable of doing Time Alignment, you are probably out of luck. Look at it this way, u or ur wife will be listening to the music only when u r driving alone. When u have passengers, u r going to have to lower the volume anyway as u will most likely be chatting away. :)

henry2703;619715 said:
Hi Zeee,

I know what you are saying, But that isn't the solution i am after, to be honest.

I can always tune the balance, to have that balance effect, so that the sound seems to be coming from the middle, instead of from the right. but that would mean that for the rest of the passengers, they will be hearing the sound from the left. Not Ideal.

i have sat in cars where the sound is very balance, without additional active amps or pre amps. There aren't many X3 on the raod to begin with, so i couldn't have audited how it would sound like in a X3.

I am actually thinking of removing the Cross over, so that the tweeters won't sound so sharp, but i am not exactually sure if that would work too...

hi! henry,

if the tweeters bypass the crossovers, and are connected directly to the head unit, the tweeters will be playing "full range". not recommended.

for passive, only tone (treble/bass), fader and what bro avatar mentioned, balance can be manipulated.

actually, initially, i would like to suggest an auto-tune dsp but not many ice shops promote this particular device, and is out of your mentioned budget. also, auto-tune dsps are not popular with "ice purists & ice tuners". have you heard a bimmer with the premium factory fitted logic 7 system? this auto-tune device lets you achieve almost as close as that in music enjoyment. check out harman - MS-8 it uses the logic 7 hardware but software loaded is a little different. i am not related to this brand or any ice shops, just sharing an alternative.

good luck in your ice quest!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ok9tools
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back