320i or 323i

Re: 320i or 323i

E46 330i was made in Germany but E90 330i now also assembled in South Africa!

ho2786;166036 said:
imho my last ride e46 330i is the best 3 series ever

e46 330i interior better,throttle response better,louder and has a soul.

e90 330i more refined ride,looks better,better handling.

From the feedback I think E90 has got the common defect on the wiper system. Not as smooth as my E39. I have used nearly 20 cars since I started driving, wipers on my 323i is the worst that I have come across. Hope PML will look into this matter!

DRV;165949 said:
Agree with opvaulet,
BMW makes it's cars to match the 3L engine. Then they fit smaller versions for local markets esp in Europe and Asia.

One thing I never understood is why Lexus brings in detuned versions of the Toyoto engine to meet emission standards. The IS250 shares the same engine as the Mark X but 205 vs 215hp.
Singapore's standard is only EURO II, almost every car is sure to pass. Maybe it's to standardize globally?

BMW is more aware of this. BMW's in the US have to meet strict local standards so the previous 3.0L was only rated at 225hp although in S'pore and most parts of Europe it was 231hp...

I think its just easier logistically on them; the Aus and UK versions are not that different to ours, and same with JDM. Remember, in other markets, its the IS350 that's the one to have, 305 ps, 0-100 less than 5 secs. in other markets with less good fuel the 2IS is a IS300 using 3 litre from GS 300 (pre-direct inj)

In Aus, the bimmers used to be 'decompressed' versions, but not anymore. In any event, the 330i is a great car.

opvaulet;166070 said:
I think its just easier logistically on them; the Aus and UK versions are not that different to ours, and same with JDM. Remember, in other markets, its the IS350 that's the one to have, 305 ps, 0-100 less than 5 secs. in other markets with less good fuel the 2IS is a IS300 using 3 litre from GS 300 (pre-direct inj)

In Aus, the bimmers used to be 'decompressed' versions, but not anymore. In any event, the 330i is a great car.

Curious why Lexus didn't bring in the IS350... inquired about it at Borneo and PI... everyone says don't want to bring in...
It's probably the only car to rival the 335i (in other markets) and the 330i in S'pore.
And it won't eat into GS sales since the 2 are different - I doubt 330i sales eat into 523i sales.

Agree that the 330i is a great car... thoroughly enjoyed my E46 330ci. IMHO the E46 is a more responsive drive and solidly built c.f. the E90.

The IS350 market is probably too small for Borneo to import them here. Many Singaporean are still very afraid of the high road tax imo. :lol2:

Just like we dun have any E60 540i or 550i here.

DRV;166092 said:
Curious why Lexus didn't bring in the IS350... inquired about it at Borneo and PI... everyone says don't want to bring in...
It's probably the only car to rival the 335i (in other markets) and the 330i in S'pore.
And it won't eat into GS sales since the 2 are different - I doubt 330i sales eat into 523i sales.

Agree that the 330i is a great car... thoroughly enjoyed my E46 330ci. IMHO the E46 is a more responsive drive and solidly built c.f. the E90.

But back to topic...

Between 320i and 323i, IMHO 323i is much better "value" 'cos of 6 cyl engine. Will not tire of it as soon.

But for the price of 323i, the Lexus IS 250 sounds tempting... esp the luxury edition... last I inquired was at $138k. With everything... everything... (Xenons, keyless access, Mark Levinson sound system, auto everything, PDC, etc etc).
BMW comes with nothing at all... if you want to spec it like lexus I think have to put in $25k more.
+ 177hp vs 205hp

Any opinions?

I totally agree that the IS 250 is a damn good deal. In fact, it was neck to neck between the IS and 323 when I was choosing which car to buy. Two things tipped it for me, IS back seat leg room is too small which I do need as I ferry the family quite a bit and the price of the Lexury version is not much different from the 323, at least that was true when I was buying my car.

the badge below is worth 50k on its own.so remember to deduct 50k from the list price of your BMW when comparing with other cars.

Sting;166225 said:
I totally agree that the IS 250 is a damn good deal. In fact, it was neck to neck between the IS and 323 when I was choosing which car to buy. Two things tipped it for me, IS back seat leg room is too small which I do need as I ferry the family quite a bit and the price of the Lexury version is not much different from the 323, at least that was true when I was buying my car.

rear passenger space is indeed a critical decision point; if IS250 has more room at the back, it would attract more potential buyers

I tested the IS250 and I feel it is a bit too soft and no doubt it is a good car but it lack the "drive" which only found in BMW. Some people who look for good buy will get IS250 and those who understand the "drive" will get the BM. I think all the BMW die hard will understand this.

I drive a bimmer and a IS250. There is no doubt they are different.

When I drive the IS really hard on really challenging and unkept roads, I am convinced that it would take a 330i to significantly better the experience. Its not soft at all, perhaps just a little too refined. However, for me, any lack of omph is a killjoy. I have found the sensation of stealth of being able to perform in absolute refinement and serenity deeply addictive, and pleasurable. And it does drive good. The faster, the better.

I do love my bimmer, but derive different (and somewhat slower) pleasures. Till the 335i....

I actually test drove the IS and cound the power impressive, but when i looked closer it was in sports mode (Silly ME). When I switched it to normal drive, it lost quite a bit of low end torque so the 323 won out in the end as I liked the low end better.

Do anyone know the best deal for 323i, would really appreciate if someone can advise on that since tml is the last day of the year for good deal.

Tomorrow (31 Dec 06) is the last day for 323i with free M193 rim. Isn't this deal good enough already? :)

Derrick_;166284 said:
Do anyone know the best deal for 323i, would really appreciate if someone can advise on that since tml is the last day of the year for good deal.

Just to share with ya bros/sis... have also faced the 323 or 320 question :laughlik:

The important thingy is to test both cars throughly and gauge it for yourself. Its especially good if u can test drive one after the other.

For me... the 320 is enough, am not a hiong driver (must be getting old :p)... if u need more omph, switch over to DS mode (as recommended by AhBengBro, I find its enough). Another angle to improve the acceleration is to change the heavy rims to quality forged rims instead. Reduce the unsprung weight, better acceleration, lower braking inertia and better FC to boot.

But.. if u the moddy type, the 6potter is the way to go... lots of upgrade options with a greater perfomance jump.

Hubba;166583 said:
Just to share with ya bros/sis... have also faced the 323 or 320 question :laughlik:

The important thingy is to test both cars throughly and gauge it for yourself. Its especially good if u can test drive one after the other.

driving the 4 cylinder 3 series can be enjoyable (RWD, 50/50 weight distribution, great handling ...)

but imho 6-cylinder engine has more to offer -- of course at a higher cost

Hubba;166583 said:

For me... the 320 is enough, am not a hiong driver (must be getting old :p)... if u need more omph, switch over to DS mode (as recommended by AhBengBro, I find its enough). Another angle to improve the acceleration is to change the heavy rims to quality forged rims instead. Reduce the unsprung weight, better acceleration, lower braking inertia and better FC to boot.

But.. if u the moddy type, the 6potter is the way to go... lots of upgrade options with a greater perfomance jump.
agree. for $14k plus the littles that's saved from the road tax, fuel costs, money can be better used elsewhere

Hubba;166583 said:

Ahem..;) Congrats again :woowooo:

:woowooo: Tks Bro... all that was needed was to test drv the UDM... then kenna hook :yummie:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9betbond
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back