Another case of conflict between car and cyclist....

Re: Another case of conflict between car and cyclist....

the best person to give u a view is one who rides n drive. why is it so difficult to understand that a cyclist is another slow vehicle? the rules r there.

if he wants to turn right he shud use his arms n signal his intention. he shud then proceed to change lanes cautiously. same for left turns, same for right turns..same for circuses...

If u c a slow motorbike...u wud accept it? n u wudnt if u c a cyclist? I just don't get why some people find it so difficult to see a bicycle as a slow vehicle.

***we r not here debating ass-holes who don't obey rules with no hand signals.

totoseow said:
the best person to give u a view is one who rides n drive. why is it so difficult to understand that a cyclist is another slow vehicle? the rules r there.

if he wants to turn right he shud use his arms n signal his intention. he shud then proceed to change lanes cautiously. same for left turns, same for right turns..same for circuses...

If u c a slow motorbike...u wud accept it? n u wudnt if u c a cyclist? I just don't get why some people find it so difficult to see a bicycle as a slow vehicle.

***we r not here debating ass-holes who don't obey rules with no hand signals.

I should think that the acceptance works both ways. Drivers should accept cyclist as they are, but cyclist should respect the drivers too. If you cite rules, clearly, the cyclist is taking the grey shade for granted.

At this point, I have yet to hear a convincing answer on which side of the turning lanes should the cyclist be situated, assuming the cyclist have the right to use the right turn late like a vehicle.

Right of car, left of car or in front of car? I am assuming one right-turn lane.

Just select the answer as a cyclist who respect the rules and other road users.

Why is it so difficult to select the answer when it sounded so easy to argue that they have the right to go onto the lane instead of dismounting/crossing the junction?

Morning Kenn, on your newton circus scenario, i will personally choose option 1, and i will ride left all the way, wait or give way to drivers exiting who dont want to let me pass because i am on a bike and take my time to reach the 3 o'clock safely.

But i will be mindful of the road conditions, and safety is paramount, not only to me and also to other road users. The mindset i have when cycling is that i need to initiate safety first and look out for other road users, rather than expect the favour other way round. Other cyclists think its their birth right that cars have to look out for them and give way to them. Heck, i will not even cycle to that area in the first place, given the huge volume of cars and traffic flow.

There is always an element of risk when cycling on the roads, especially in land scarce Singapore with its over population of cars that the COE has failed to address in recent years (but this topic is for another day). I will expect this ang mo to behave in the same manner, be it he is on a bike or in a car. Its a shame he has no basic understanding of road safety and humanity and worse, to be bellicose.

"Arguing with a fool only proves there are 2"

P.s Anyone wants to buy my bike? Its advert is in the non classified section. Cheersssssssss

Oh, I forgot to clarify that a motorbike and a bicycle have different technical differences. Power/speed/acceleration and signal lights for instances.

Also, one cannot assume a cyclist and a motorcyclist went through the same road safety licensing regime. Any Tom's Harry Dick can ride a bicycle legally without any licence.

garbage888 said:
Morning Kenn, on your newton circus scenario, i will personally choose option 1, and i will ride left all the way, wait or give way to drivers exiting who dont want to let me pass because i am on a bike and take my time to reach the 3 o'clock safely.

You are aware that, in terms of safety, that is not the best solution?

kenntona;1041170 said:
I should think that the acceptance works both ways. Drivers should accept cyclist as they are, but cyclist should respect the drivers too. If you cite rules, clearly, the cyclist is taking the grey shade for granted.

At this point, I have yet to hear a convincing answer on which side of the turning lanes should the cyclist be situated, assuming the cyclist have the right to use the right turn late like a vehicle.

Right of car, left of car or in front of car? I am assuming one right-turn lane.

Just select the answer as a cyclist who respect the rules and other road users.

Why is it so difficult to select the answer when it sounded so easy to argue that they have the right to go onto the lane instead of dismounting/crossing the junction?

Stay on left like all slow moving vehicles. That is consistent with where cyclists ride when on moving on a road.

difficult cos u dont accept.

but let me tell u what I will do. without breaking the law. I wud do exactly what the ang mor did..

1. from the xtreme left lane...I wud slowly filter right using hand signals
2. enter the first right turning lane and keep left like the ang mor...using hand signals.
3. I am entitled to take the entire lane...but as cyclists r encougared to keep left. I will stay left side of that lane.
4. I will not want a car to pass me at the moment. as he may swipe me out. so to b defensive I will be 1 meter off the lane markings to my left. its a turn. everyone must be slow. car and me.

everything like a slow vehicle like I said.

kenntona;1041176 said:
Oh, I forgot to clarify that a motorbike and a bicycle have different technical differences. Power/speed/acceleration and signal lights for instances.

Also, one cannot assume a cyclist and a motorcyclist went through the same road safety licensing regime. Any Tom's Harry Dick can ride a bicycle legally without any licence.

this is the main issue. cyclists r adhoc bunch at best. im answering u on what a proper road abiding cyclists shud be doing. not any china bangra ah pek cyclist. but then drivers r also like dat....we break worse rules on driving too. so lets not mix it up.

im trying to answer the most basic question here. that of how a proper cyclist shud behave on public roads.

Markus said:
Stay on left like all slow moving vehicles. That is consistent with where cyclists ride when on moving on a road.

Supposedly in-line with the books, but this is also the selection with the highest hidden risks - against oncoming right-turning traffic from the opposite side, if you could visualise the impact. How does this beat the dismount/crossing practice in terms of safety?

Stand corrected, in the case of motorcycles, they can take any spots, left, right, in front of cars. They cannot be deemed to be obstructing any vehicles moving at higher speed, since they themselves are capable of the higher speeds.

totoseow said:
difficult cos u dont accept.

No disrespect but I find it difficult to accept based on SAFETY rather than based on ROAD USAGE RIGHTS.

totoseow said:
but let me tell u what I will do. without breaking the law. I wud do exactly what the ang mor did..

1. from the xtreme left lane...I wud slowly filter right using hand signals
2. enter the first right turning lane and keep left like the ang mor...using hand signals.
3. I am entitled to take the entire lane...but as cyclists r encougared to keep left. I will stay left side of that lane.
4. I will not want a car to pass me at the moment. as he may swipe me out. so to b defensive I will be 1 meter off the lane markings to my left. its a turn. everyone must be slow. car and me.

everything like a slow vehicle like I said.

Point is - is this SAFER than dismount/crossing the junction?

This is the biggest problem - a sub-optimal alternative course of action is taken and justified. Safety sacrificed for convenience.

totoseow said:
im trying to answer the most basic question here. that of how a proper cyclist shud behave on public roads.

Sure, but gotta be putting safety as utmost priority. That means the cyclists should always take the safest option instead of taking the alternative for granted, no?

It is a protection for cyclists, not the motorists.

kenntona;1041181 said:
Supposedly in-line with the books, but this is also the selection with the highest hidden risks - against oncoming right-turning traffic from the opposite side, if you could visualise the impact. How does this beat the dismount/crossing practice in terms of safety?

Stand corrected, in the case of motorcycles, they can take any spots, left, right, in front of cars. They cannot be deemed to be obstructing any vehicles moving at higher speed, since they themselves are capable of the higher speeds.

Dun get me started on motorcyclists Kenn - especially the Msian ones!

to dismount and walk across a pedestrian crossing with riding cleats sucks.... looks like duck walking with something up your ass....

kenntona;1041183 said:
No disrespect but I find it difficult to accept based on SAFETY rather than based on ROAD USAGE RIGHTS.

Point is - is this SAFER than dismount/crossing the junction?

This is the biggest problem - a sub-optimal alternative course of action is taken and justified. Safety sacrificed for convenience.

Sure, but gotta be putting safety as utmost priority. That means the cyclists should always take the safest option instead of taking the alternative for granted, no?

It is a protection for cyclists, not the motorists.

I thot this was about how cyclist shud be perceived on the roads....that's the question I m answering. if its about safety. screw cycling in Singapore. cars aim to kill u.

totoseow said:
I thot this was about how cyclist shud be perceived on the roads....that's the question I m answering. if its about safety. screw cycling in Singapore. cars aim to kill u.

Nope, I was asking on the proper way to turn right with safety in mind. But of course. Was never about the preferred way of cyclists.

Obviously we cannot find a solution in any highway code books, since cycling requires no license.

With no proper rules, guidance and varying intepretations, safety should be the only common denominator of this discussion.

safety works both ways. respects from both sides as legitimate road users will be a good place to start

totoseow said:
safety works both ways. respects from both sides as legitimate road users will be a good place to start

Easy from drivers' perspective - if I langa a cyclist, I will be in deep shit. Hence despite the lack of governance over what they should do, I should try to avoid them at all costs. Safety first.

Not so clearcut from the cyclists' perspectives and hence this discussion:

Cyclists' perspective One - since no proper rules, safety first, else I will always be on the losing end. Play safe, do the safe things.

Cyclists' perspective Two - since no proper rules, I can do anything I deemed best and right. The motorists need to respect me as well - I have my road rights. And I can never be wrong under the law as long as I am on the white side of the grey.

Disputes are always on the second perspective. That's no respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenntona;1041199 said:
Cyclists' perspective Two - since no proper rules, I can do anything I deemed best and right. The motorists need to respect me as well - I have my road rights. And I can never be wrong under the law as long as I am on the white side of the grey.

dats y AMDK coz we need more FT imports here mah. i know some them see us no up, thats y they behave like king here, as if doing SG a favour just being here... fk...

This is a never ending debate. Ppl who don't cycle will not understand cyclist perspective no matter how much explanation made.

The best solution, get a bike & go on the road. Period.

For a right turn, that is more than 2 lanes with heavy traffic, i will stop at the traffic light & wait for the red light. Once turn red, i will move to the left most of the right turning lane. I will position in the middle of the lane right after the white line.

Otherwise, i will turn right as if i am driving.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwinyoga

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back