ATF change

Re: ATF change

Interesting and confusing for owner to decide whether to change or not to change. Change or don't change also risk....

Anyone with high mileage have not change their ATF till today and gearbox still going strong? Or only those have change their ATF oil have gearbox problem?

I just bought a bimmer, mileage 80k. Went to AD workshop, request to change ATF oil while doing servicing. SA claimed BMW ATF oil lifetime usage. But after reading so many issue on gearbox, decided to go ahead to change. Did a change On Tuesday at sponsor workshop on ATF and differential oil. So far so good. Finger crossed.......

Last edited by a moderator:

change/flush ATF does not mean it is immune of gearbox valve/solenoid up lorry
nonetheless, it is a good preventive mtnce ... fingers crossed

Mine 115k mileage till now ... So far so good , only very very minor jerk occasionally in the morning cold start and the rest are just fine. Not intend to change ATF as one of my friend changed ATF after 100k and encountered gear slip problem till now cannot solve since 6 mths ago ... Scare spend money buy problem : ) finger crossed also

Algino;917363 said:
Mine 115k mileage till now ... So far so good , only very very minor jerk occasionally in the morning cold start and the rest are just fine. Not intend to change ATF as one of my friend changed ATF after 100k and encountered gear slip problem till now cannot solve since 6 mths ago ... Scare spend money buy problem : ) finger crossed also

You are the first owner? Thanks for your input, it will helps for those who are making a decision.

Yes ! But I frequently travel to Malaysia and used to drive vy high speed - 160 to 200km/h . Reaching 3 years and quite high mileage usage : ) however , pml SA always told me to whack the car GAO GAO cos it bring lesser problem than those car always park under shelter .. Not sure zhun bo but maybe another type of BMW car philosophy ba ??

i somewhat agree that bmw engine ought to be whacked to stay in good shape :lol:

Algino;917510 said:
Yes ! But I frequently travel to Malaysia and used to drive vy high speed - 160 to 200km/h . Reaching 3 years and quite high mileage usage : ) however , pml SA always told me to whack the car GAO GAO cos it bring lesser problem than those car always park under shelter .. Not sure zhun bo but maybe another type of BMW car philosophy ba ??

wt_know;917512 said:
i somewhat agree that bmw engine ought to be whacked to stay in good shape :lol:

Yes, it seems that way! I have read from different forums that their Bimmers gets an Italian tune-up ever now and then to stay fit! :)

Ct13;917324 said:
InSA claimed BMW ATF oil lifetime usage. But after reading so many issue on gearbox, decided to go ahead to change........

I am lost for words when it comes to such SAs... that BMW ATF oil lifetime usage.

Can you put her name here and invite her for a discussion.

Ct13;917487 said:
You are the first owner? Thanks for your input, it will helps for those who are making a decision.

Changing ATF oil will not introduce more problems. Just like changing engine oil. Lifetime oil does't exist because if it does, then there won't be ATF oil selling on the shelfs. Lifetime has very different meanings to different people in different languages too. Machinery needs oil change to function at it's optimum. This couple of hundreds to change the ATF oil every few years or x0km is a small amount considering how much we pay for regular oil change.... don't save on this and end up paying >10k for a transmission issue. =) My thoughts.

hmmm..... but the truth is not so simple.

Fact or myth: Change or no change ATF, by 200,000 or 250,000 km, gear box sure end of life??

If fact, then no need change ATF.

BMW I thought changed their stance on this 3 years ago ?

MapleLeaf;917547 said:
hmmm..... but the truth is not so simple.

Fact or myth: Change or no change ATF, by 200,000 or 250,000 km, gear box sure end of life??

In fact I don mind to pay few hundred in order to maintain our gearbox .. But the main point is would it be really problem free if we do so .. I dare not to commit cos some of them really encounter problem after changing .. And this is the worst thing I can't really take it ..

QUOTE=MapleLeaf;917547]hmmm..... but the truth is not so simple.

If fact, then no need change ATF.[/QUOTE]

reduces risk. Like any preventive maintenance work.

Algino;917610 said:
In fact I don mind to pay few hundred in order to maintain our gearbox .. But the main point is would it be really problem free if we do so .. I dare not to commit cos some of them really encounter problem after changing .. And this is the worst thing I can't really take it ..

QUOTE=MapleLeaf;917547]hmmm..... but the truth is not so simple.

[/QUOTE]

I just went for 75000km servicing and was recommend to change ATF at 100000km. Till now i havent change ATF. Any advice?

Actually my only concern is " can "we change the gearbox oil and not " should " we change the gearbox oil instead . I don think ppl who drive udm will be stingy to maintain their lovely ride by just spending few hundred on it . But the main point is would be problem free Bo ? Feel like 50 /50 to do it ...
And it hold me back till now ...

jlwk;917780 said:
I just went for 75000km servicing and was recommend to change ATF at 100000km. Till now i havent change ATF. Any advice?

jlwk;917780 said:

i change even at 70k

Algino;917820 said:
Actually my only concern is " can "we change the gearbox oil and not " should " we change the gearbox oil instead . I don think ppl who drive udm will be stingy to maintain their lovely ride by just spending few hundred on it . But the main point is would be problem free Bo ? Feel like 50 /50 to do it ...

u 'can' change the ATF and its not rocket science why it cannot be change. get advice from your trusty mechanic whether u 'should' change

Change the oil and the filter......do your GB a favour.

Algino;917820 said:

Algino;917820 said:

I think the chances of gearbox failure will be 30/70 to change or not to change. Is very difficult to believe that the oil will last you forever. Yes, it will last till your gearbox down and replace/repair the gearbox.

We need more input from:
1. those who have not change ATF oil since day 1 and their gearbox still going strong(mileage)
2. Did not change ATF oil since day 1, when(Mileage) did their gearbox face problem.
3. change ATF oil(Which mileage) and face problem after change(mileage)
4. Changed ATF oil(mileage), and still going strong till now(mileage)

I had changed ATF oil on 30Oct2012 at 80,000km mileage, so far so good. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pwin777orgph
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back