Audi R8 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Audi R8 Testing

caySman;248009 said:
actually, I don't give a flying piss whether it's a supercar or not. Does it drive super? Is the maintenance going to break me?. Can i afford it? These are the only considerations. That's why Masers and Ferraris and lambos are never in the picture coz I can't afford it, among other things.

I don't know about `since when did anybody test drive supercars' but if I can testdrive a R8 and I love it then they have a good probability of a sale. Since when did buying a supercar or any car require blind faith?

blind faith or not thats really up to you..

what i meant was if audi thot it was a super car, and lined up a series of test drives to lure would be buyers into buying their somewhat-enlarged-audi-TT, then seriously, thats plain silly.

cos fact it did anyone test drive an F430 before they first bought it? but yet audi is trying to market the R8 as a super car with supercar pricing.

naah i dont think it will work.

more importantly, what i was trying to say is nothing personal against you...seems like you have some super sensitive alarm bells that rings faster than a xmas tree.. sorry about that dude!

wait for someone to buy the R8..then maybe u can ask for a test drive and stuff if u know him well..haa i notice some F430 owners test drove their friends car b4 they bought one themselves

Hell, no, don't misunderstand, it was nothing personal taken at all. But the `supercar' or `non-supercar' crapshoot irks me. Hell, the Insight was a supercar of sorts, made with advanced tech undreamed of. The S2000 is more super a car to me compared to the Maser GT even, with the tech so advanced that the Italians are still dreaming of it.

Of course, looks mean a lot to many people, so my `looks-agnostic' stance is moot.

The Audi R8 is NOT a enlarged TT! It's a mid engine, the TT is a golf front engine chassis. But you're not the first guy who said it. Why do people keep on looking at the surface only? Forget the looks, and yes, it looks bad in pics. It's a mid engined gem of a car, you could even say that it's a shortened Lambo. Or a BIG aluminium Cayman made with aluminium. But it is definitely genetically further away from the TT than the Lambo or Cayman.

What I was surprised was that you actually berated R8 just because Audi allowed test drives. You are a rational man, and I found your berating the R8 on the account that it was more accessible than a typical Ferrari (by allowing test drives), extremely irrational and ... many would simplify it as snobby in a negative sense.

Actually in reality it's really true. The real exotics sell before any test drives are made. Thats from the customers' perspective, reflected in the real world. A huge proportion of wealthy clients do not buy a supercar to use it like a supercar, and hence test drives are not needed. It only has to look good and the badge smells good that's all.

But of course there'll be a proportion of these clients who are true enthusiasts who intend to use the supercar like a supercar, and they will test drive it, but on public roads, you cant really tell the difference in limits between an LP640 and a C2, because you might really miata the whole thing.

from the dealer's perspective, they'll probably be very worried if there's no interest in their cars, and no one wants to test drive their cars. But if they can continue to sell cars without any test drives, they would, and that's also what's happening in singapore on a regular basis. Whether or not that's a basis for judging whether a car is good is irrelevant.

Usually test drives are limited to people they know, and not any walk-in. Heck, even the evo and STI are in this category.

yes, I know it's true. Some F430 buyers beg borrow and steal a drive from friends. But to berate a car simply because test drives are given, is irrational.

I have always and will always test drive a car before buying one. New or used, same principal applies.

But then again, maybe that is just me....

i will never buy a car without knowing how it feels like to own 1 in future..:D

caySman;248021 said:
What I was surprised was that you actually berated R8 just because Audi allowed test drives. You are a rational man, and I found your berating the R8 on the account that it was more accessible than a typical Ferrari (by allowing test drives), extremely irrational and ... many would simplify it as snobby in a negative sense.

Agree. A supercar should drive super and proof is in the pudding.

Personally I find the cachet of a supercar is defined more than just by the exclusivity of the test-drive, or even the price. In fact if it's "cheap", then all the more the other "exotic" car makers should improve their own standards. As consumers this can only work to our advantage.

Anyway, the motoring press has heaped unanimous praise on the Audi R8, with evo Magazine going so far as to state that the R8 has replaced the iconic Porsche 911 as the benchmark performance car. Not surprising considering that on their test track, the R8 with just 414 bhp came between the Enzo (660 bhp) and the CC-X (800++ bhp). If that's a "wannabe" supercar, so be it. I wouldn't mind being inside one. :yummie:

caySman;248021 said:
Hell, no, don't misunderstand, it was nothing personal taken at all. But the `supercar' or `non-supercar' crapshoot irks me. Hell, the Insight was a supercar of sorts, made with advanced tech undreamed of. The S2000 is more super a car to me compared to the Maser GT even, with the tech so advanced that the Italians are still dreaming of it.

Of course, looks mean a lot to many people, so my `looks-agnostic' stance is moot.

The Audi R8 is NOT a enlarged TT! It's a mid engine, the TT is a golf front engine chassis. But you're not the first guy who said it. Why do people keep on looking at the surface only? Forget the looks, and yes, it looks bad in pics. It's a mid engined gem of a car, you could even say that it's a shortened Lambo. Or a BIG aluminium Cayman made with aluminium. But it is definitely genetically further away from the TT than the Lambo or Cayman.

say what you like my friend.

you CAN test drive a car if you WANTED to.. there are means and ways to do it (eg. borrow someone's lambo or ferrari etc)

lining up test drives for a super car just sounds strange. I guess people need a little more familiarity with the marque. Agree? yes? no?

So, if people need more familiarity with the marque (R8 in this instance), should the car not be priced somewhat lower to entice people? Does the R8 have a history of previous generations' successes to laud upon? So, should the R8 be conveniently marketed in the price bracket that I believe audi is trying to place it in?

lets face it..

The R8 is the new kid on the block.. super car status is premature. overpriced piece of alumimiun/space frame/black side patch it is.

it does look like a TT.. and hey for a super car, looks matter dont they? agree? yes? no?

i try to be rational and i see little rationale in your assessment of my "snobbery".

The only reason audi is keen to allow test drives is simply because the car is un-rated and the marque is untested as far as entry into the supercar league is concerned... and the test drives are just part of an extensive marketing campaign (which is NOT wrong)

Finally, can i not have the liberty of personal space to "berate" an over-rated R8??

in conclusion, a real thoroughbred super car from a proven, established and sound marque sells BY ITSELF.. there is no need for test drives. People "fight" to be in front of the queue! (haha) If you consider my opinion and observation of this behaviour snobbish, then I really cant do much lor.

Try to be rational lah... comments only what... why so serious?

Let live...

caySman;248061 said:
yes, I know it's true. Some F430 buyers beg borrow and steal a drive from friends. But to berate a car simply because test drives are given, is irrational.

again, thats your interpretation. I cant help it if you chose to interpret it that way.

sometimes it is good to just accept life's lessons. That when you are not good enough, or you have not PROVEN to be good enough, you work harder to convince people you are good.

test drives make people work harder dont they? more time... more expenses..more resources...more logistics...

yes?
no?

so who is the irrational one?

I would have thought one of the biggest factors for having a dealership was for potential buyers to have a hands on feel of the car and not just sitting in the showroom and feeling how luxurious the leather was or how soundly the door thunk.

The problem I guess is that there are many "career" test drivers in Singapore who take pride in test driving every single new car with no intention of buying that it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. I guess that spoilts the market for real potential buyers.

I guess there's no right or wrong answer. I think that each dealership has to make a call somewhere and then decide if they can live with the end result with the people they alienate.

I think some brands like Ferrari have such fervent installed base that no test drives are needed and their customers often buy sight unseen and undriven. Partly because the brand sells itself and more probably, because there's always a wait list for the more desirable models, and if you don't commit, you won't see the car for another 2 years if at all.

For that matter, most S/RS Audis are pre-booked way in advance of the launch as well here. They are pretty high value items (relative to the usual business/volume that Audi transacts it) so this is probably a new area for them.

But with the R8 being pitched so closely to the 911s and Porsche having a much more open engagement with their customers, Audi probably needs to rewrite their rules.

To me, this has nothing to do with Audi or Lamborghini offering test drives. Its somethign to do with the egoistical and materialistic Singaporeans in many who have views of such cars. Did you guys know that in Europe, if u wanted to buy a lambo or a ferrari and you do request for 1 at the dealership, they will organise 1 for you. Yes its not blatently open but its possible to the easiest extent. In Singapore, because such things dont happen or rarely happen, there is a perceived upper class in the marque being high class. To a practical and rationale person, this should not matter as at the end of the day its just a car. Its just an ego trip. Its a very implicit way of portraying the marque to the rich and wonderous. Well, most Singaporeans swoon at this and i dont blame them for how our society has fuelled the evil of money into people changing them. Its sad and its obvious.

But at the end of the day, its really as simple as a rich and poor guy. Both bleed the same color red. In the same context, both are cars and its only the difference between a tuxedo and a rag. What ever car you get, there will always be remarks. You drive an R8, you will have a hard time explaining why you could not buy a gallardo. You drive a Maserati, you have a hard time explaining why you couldnt buy a Ferrari. So where does this stop? These cars may be totally different cars but in reality, this is the general perception of most people. And you cant change it but to accept it. Live by your decisions and address the strength and weaknesses of the car you buy with your hard earned money. You buy a car with your preference and its a preference that no one should have any impact on. Even if one day Ferrari starts to offer test drives, you will totally strike it off from your list? Hell, I wont.

You guys gotta take a chill pill.

agh! too much psychobabble here. it's great audi offers a test drive. the only explaination i have to do for any car I drive is the merits of the car's drive and how great value for money it was relative to a marginally better but much more expensive option. i can never explain why i didn't buy a gallardo other than the drive sucks or i cannot afford it or it's not worth it, suffice to say there are no social issues in the explaination. if the r8 drives great then it'll be considered for purchase. whether it is a supercar or not i dont give 2 hoots. if i considered history I'll buy a mercedes, the glorious history it has, compared to newcomers like ferrari and even newer maserati and lambos, spawn of a tractor maker.

obviously i dont care for history that much. if audi has a great drive in the r8 obviously a lot of things are overpriced and the audi is far better value than them.

by the way, besides benz, auto union was the only other brand making history in pre ww2 history if i'm not wrong

by the way, besides benz, auto union was the only other brand making history in pre ww2 history if i'm not wrong

caySman;247906 said:
thanks to Harry1 info, I got better news this morning. MAYBE can, but since I am not viewed as top 100 richest man in Singapore I have to ask 2X not like Harry1 ...

CaySman - Hahaha ... Just need to be a bit aggressive in negotiating with the sales rep! Also i totally agree with CaySman that a test drive is a definite pre-requisite b4 buying any car. Just fyi, i have test driven the AMV8 twice already (manual and sportshift) and still am deciding between R8 and AMV8. Also if i do decide to go for either, just b4 putting down a deposit, I would require a 1 hr test drive around the highways and Mt Faber! In UK, (well yes its a very different market), the sales rep allows u test drive even preowned cars for 30-45mins whilst in Australia they let u keep the car for the day and ask u to return it at end of day!!!

wow..looks like they have too many of them that they will let u bring home the car..

Harry1;248299 said:
CaySman - Hahaha ... Just need to be a bit aggressive in negotiating with the sales rep! Also i totally agree with CaySman that a test drive is a definite pre-requisite b4 buying any car. Just fyi, i have test driven the AMV8 twice already (manual and sportshift) and still am deciding between R8 and AMV8. Also if i do decide to go for either, just b4 putting down a deposit, I would require a 1 hr test drive around the highways and Mt Faber! In UK, (well yes its a very different market), the sales rep allows u test drive even preowned cars for 30-45mins whilst in Australia they let u keep the car for the day and ask u to return it at end of day!!!
The embarassing thing about Audi is that the only experience I have in them is a string of Audi rentals. Of course, TT1 had a one and ONLY test drive, TT2 had a one and only test drive and another few in friends' cars. So not much to build upon in terms of relationship, I feel paiseh to negotiate. But the R8 is like so crazy great reviews, I felt I owed it to myself to give it one more chance to (at least) consider Audi ownership. I know I just bought a new car, but things have gotta be set straight in my mind - do I have the best driving car I could afford?

Additionally, I have done my normal `lusted for car' research and found out some more weird things. The R8 engineering is much like the Mac F1 crazy attention to detail. Some guy (forgot who) went into the factory and saw a build in action, and they built everything around the driver's asshole (which is the Centre of Gravity). Not only does this car have balance by way of `how much weight is carried by the front and rear wheels', the concentrated all the weight around the asshole area - fine tuning the common `balance' argument to `how much weight is actually centered around the CG'.

This sorta explains to me in a casual way why this car laps so quick compared to lighter and more powerful cars, because Audi took extra lengths in the packaging, so that even a portly 1.5 ton car could act as if it were a 1.3 ton car.

I'm waiting for a R8 autobiography. It must be as interesting as the NSX one even though LJK Setright is now dead. The crazy engineering they did on the R8 deserves some great man to write. Paul Frere.. your last work?

actually hor, you know why i love posting such "controversial" posts? cos it always subtlely reveals the insides of each one of us..

i shall not say more, but somehow, when it comes to my opinions there is always some hint "ego", "disgrunt", "snobbery" in any verbal tirade (directed) at my posts.

Its quite amusing if you are sitting in my position..

when I said last time the RS4 was a wonderful car, people say it is a "big engine is a box"

when I said the R8 is not a super car, people somehow instead of realising that it is NOT YET a supercar, decide to embark on a "ego" trip about people who own and yearn for all these ferrari/lambos etc.

then when an EVO trashes a BMW, people will say "cheh its an EVO mah".

best part is, the supposedly un-ego people (who shun snobs like me) choose to spend $$$ dolling up their car.. why make your car so nice? why? for fun? you mean you dont feel good driving a fully modded 335? or driving a new sports car?

c'mon.

not only must we chill.

lets look for the mirror!!!

cheerios!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet58ink