Audi R8 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Audi R8 Testing

I don't think anyone here needs to look in the mirror because they haven't judged and declared a great car to not be a supercar, or decided the perverted SG test drive culture is the standard. A lot of good points have been made by a range of people.

So when is the test-drive? Confirmed? I want to loot it.

Reproduced from evo Magazine #108, p.75

###

I sense I'm not alone in being rather impressed with what Audi has created in the R8. Having read your test in issue 106, I feel compelled to write about the sheer enormity of the job Audi's engineers have performed.

What amazed me most about your test is how the West Circuit lap time achieved by the R8 - in amongst the likes of the McLaren F1, Enzo, Koenigsegg and Gallardo, as your table on page 106 shows - seems to contradict the car's basic performance figures. I did some digging in The Knowledge and uncovered some more surprising results:

- The Audi is comfortably the heaviest of the ten cars you list in your table (surprising when you consider its aluminum chassis)

- The R8 also has the lowest bhp/ton of the group - it has less than two-fifths of the Koenigsegg's figure!

- The R8's peak speed on the West Circuit is less than 1mph faster than that of the Caterham CSR (aka the aerodynamic brick!)

So the R8 is heavy, seemingly not very potent and relatively slow in a straight line, and yet on a track it comfortably beats a 911 GT3 and its brother, the Gallardo V10, and on the road it feels alive, responsive and surprisngly rapid.

How it does this is an exercise in not being fixated by numbers, but instead spending many more hours perfecting the feel of the car, instilling confidence in the driver and thereby allowing the car to be pushed to its absolute limit consistently and safely. If the figures never lied, you would expect the R8 to perhaps equal a 911 GT3 (the two are very closely matched on paper). The 1.3-second gap it creates round your test track is a testament to impeccable chassis development and represents the current benchmark of engineering perfection.

A few months ago I was lucky enough to drive a prototype R8 in anger and was genuinely impressed by what the engineers have achieved. I was also able to view a partially constructed body and it is immediately evident Audi has worked hard to concentrate all mass around the centre of gravity, rather than just focus on a good overall front/rear weight distribution figure. A Bentley can achieve a near 50/50 front/rear figure, but this doesn't tell the full story - to counteract the engine being the wrong side of the front axle Bentley simply added some lead weights behind the rear axle, two lead acid weights to be exact. But dynamically this will always suffer on the track. Creating a chassis with such low inertial yaw/pitch/roll responses vastly simplifies chassis tuning and hence permits a beautifully balanced and adjustable chassis with a remarkably supple ride.

What is truly amazing, though, is how comfortably the [SIZE=-1]£[/SIZE]75K R8 sits with such exotica. I can't wait for my V10 drive...

Tom Fussey, Electrical Engineering, Bentley Motors Ltd, Chester/Ingolstadt

TripleM;248378 said:
So when is the test-drive? Confirmed? I want to loot it.
car never come in yet, but it'll be sometime in Oct. What a pity this is not a 4 seater ... otherwise we put the man with the best ever machine from Zuffenhausen behind the wheel and drive us all the way around Singapore's best roads.

Crufty Dusty;248541 said:
Reproduced from evo Magazine #108, p.75

###

A few months ago I was lucky enough to drive a prototype R8 in anger and was genuinely impressed by what the engineers have achieved. I was also able to view a partially constructed body and it is immediately evident Audi has worked hard to concentrate all mass around the centre of gravity, rather than just focus on a good overall front/rear weight distribution figure. A Bentley can achieve a near 50/50 front/rear figure, but this doesn't tell the full story - to counteract the engine being the wrong side of the front axle Bentley simply added some lead weights behind the rear axle, two lead acid weights to be exact. But dynamically this will always suffer on the track. Creating a chassis with such low inertial yaw/pitch/roll responses vastly simplifies chassis tuning and hence permits a beautifully balanced and adjustable chassis with a remarkably supple ride.

Tom Fussey, Electrical Engineering, Bentley Motors Ltd, Chester/Ingolstadt

OK, this forum letter to the editor seems to say the same, LOL! But I'm positive that the report I read had the word `arsehole' on it. ROFL but it's the same meaning though. Fancy a Bentley engineer praising the `other' subsidiary ...

Hey, SM. I think my posting was done when I expected (unjustifiably) that everybody's posts are measured and rational, which is nonsense, because my own posts are ill drafted in a red mist of lust and machismo.

So I've gotta take a step back and say, I'm sorry to pounce on your post, I'm sure with clarification and in an interactive session you'd not curse Audi simply because it offered a test drive. In addition, my post was crafted with unconscious prejudice and it's simply not a friendly post.

Anyway, I can see that you are definitely a petrolhead but perhaps a different one from what I am, simply because you own cars which I'd not lust for, but that doesn't mean that Jay Leno is any less of a petrolhead than I am.

Now that I'm not suffering looking at posts and posting through a small little cellphone 3G, looking at a FAR bigger picture, I bid you peace and exhort you to try the R8 also, in the light of your experience, tell us what you think too!

caySman;248603 said:
OK, this forum letter to the editor seems to say the same, LOL! But I'm positive that the report I read had the word `arsehole' on it. ROFL but it's the same meaning though. Fancy a Bentley engineer praising the `other' subsidiary ...

Whether they are owned by the same holding company or not, still doesn't alter 3 facts that he looked up. All the more amazing when you consider that this their first real foray into building a "wannabe" supercar. :lol2:

Shaun;248376 said:
I don't think anyone here needs to look in the mirror because they haven't judged and declared a great car to not be a supercar, or decided the perverted SG test drive culture is the standard. A lot of good points have been made by a range of people.

obviously you dont understand the jist of my post.. but hey, its ok man.. its ok.

in essence, looking in the mirror has got nothing to do with judging or not judging a car to be a supercar or not supercar.. its to do with something else.. but my apologies if you dont get the groove.

its getting quite irritating reading posts that keeps going round the bush....

:)

caySman;248615 said:
Hey, SM. I think my posting was done when I expected (unjustifiably) that everybody's posts are measured and rational, which is nonsense, because my own posts are ill drafted in a red mist of lust and machismo.

So I've gotta take a step back and say, I'm sorry to pounce on your post, I'm sure with clarification and in an interactive session you'd not curse Audi simply because it offered a test drive. In addition, my post was crafted with unconscious prejudice and it's simply not a friendly post.

Anyway, I can see that you are definitely a petrolhead but perhaps a different one from what I am, simply because you own cars which I'd not lust for, but that doesn't mean that Jay Leno is any less of a petrolhead than I am.

Now that I'm not suffering looking at posts and posting through a small little cellphone 3G, looking at a FAR bigger picture, I bid you peace and exhort you to try the R8 also, in the light of your experience, tell us what you think too!

Hey dude, no worries at all.. I was surprised at the passionate reply invoked by my post.. but i guess thats what makes forums so vibrant.

I am not cursing audi at all - I think they make great cars, but they certainly dont have the racing tradition and heritage or the "wow" factor yet.

The R8 is a move in the right direction (at least it looks better than the box like RS4 and hearse like RS4 avant..haha).. I was very impressed at first glance, and of course the rave reviews in car mags have added some spice and anticipation.

My only observation was that audi needed to do test drives and that is probably a smart move, cos they would be quite a lot of people who would need convincing, especially if they are going to be paying like above $400k (??) for a marque that STILL does not command the same standing as its competitors. A good car and great drive it may be, but at the end of the day, the "perceived value" of the car is still important.

Wouldnt mind driving the R8 tho i would have no dough to buy it tho...

hmmm

but the new M3 is growing on me...

heh hehh

Cheerios!

(And yes, I am still awaiting my boxster S ..... :furious: )

Audi has worked hard to concentrate all mass around the centre of gravity, rather than just focus on a good overall front/rear weight distribution figureI was also able to view a partially constructed body and it is immediately evident Audi has worked hard to concentrate all mass around the centre of gravity, rather than just focus on a good overall front/rear weight distribution figure

Read alot about the R8 development esp very impress with the track time Evo Mag posted and their long drive to compare with M6, 997 C4S with powerkit upgraded and AMV8. They ranked R8 above the other 3 by quite a margin and declared that R8 is a new benchmark for a sub $80k pound sportcars.

I was not really a great fan of Audi, got my first audi the current Audi Cab. Not fantastic in terms of driving dynamics but was excellent in terms of built quality and reliablitiy. Got my first perfromance based Audi the current RS4 and was simply blow away by it driving dynamics and the 40:60 power distribution in the Quattro system. A free revving V8 that will charge towards the 8250 redline without any hestiation. I was deeply impressive. I have a hard time convince pple how good the RS4 drive and most common question being asked is "why not M3 or Porsche?" for that kind of $$$. I just smile and say I just like the car, period. All RS and the R8 is built by Quattro Gmbh. They too have one engineer building ur engine alone aka like AMG but they choose not to sign their name on the engine as they do not like being known as an individual. The rate of production is slow in today standard but evey cars that were built by them is of top quality and reliability. 16 months of ownership and I am trouble free till date (touchwood). My missus love it so much that she has taken over it as a daily ride and pracitising her heel-toe everyday now.:)

R8 will be a fantastic driving machine, mid engine beaut with almost perfect weight distribtion. Will love to own this car one day maybe like a second owner.............buying new is too much $$$ for me. Dream on dream on........

Welbo;248663 said:
Read alot about the R8 development esp very impress with the track time Evo Mag posted and their long drive to compare with M6, 997 C4S with powerkit upgraded and AMV8. They ranked R8 above the other 3 by quite a margin and declared that R8 is a new benchmark for a sub $80k pound sportcars.

I was not really a great fan of Audi, got my first audi the current Audi Cab. Not fantastic in terms of driving dynamics but was excellent in terms of built quality and reliablitiy. Got my first perfromance based Audi the current RS4 and was simply blow away by it driving dynamics and the 40:60 power distribution in the Quattro system. A free revving V8 that will charge towards the 8250 redline without any hestiation. I was deeply impressive. I have a hard time convince pple how good the RS4 drive and most common question being asked is "why not M3 or Porsche?" for that kind of $$$. I just smile and say I just like the car, period. All RS and the R8 is built by Quattro Gmbh. They too have one engineer building ur engine alone aka like AMG but they choose not to sign their name on the engine as they do not like being known as an individual. The rate of production is slow in today standard but evey cars that were built by them is of top quality and reliability. 16 months of ownership and I am trouble free till date (touchwood). My missus love it so much that she has taken over it as a daily ride and pracitising her heel-toe everyday now.:)

R8 will be a fantastic driving machine, mid engine beaut with almost perfect weight distribtion. Will love to own this car one day maybe like a second owner.............buying new is too much $$$ for me. Dream on dream on........

Finally can read your post!! haha

I hope you still keep my road review of the RS4... sui sui...

Very nice very nice...

R8.... must test and see first... but a bit overpriced in singapore IMHO. =)

SMYUEN;248653 said:
obviously you dont understand the jist of my post.. but hey, its ok man.. its ok.

in essence, looking in the mirror has got nothing to do with judging or not judging a car to be a supercar or not supercar.. its to do with something else.. but my apologies if you dont get the groove.

its getting quite irritating reading posts that keeps going round the bush....

You don't understand that suggesting people are hypocrites and asking them to look in the mirror, when they've not made declarations anywhere near as silly as yours, only shows your... well you know...... :laughlik:

People dolling up their cars or not viewing Evos as BMW equals, have varying reasons for doing/believing so - none of which, either individually or collectively, come close to what you've expressed regarding the Audi R8 and test drives.

My only observation was that audi needed to do test drives
You might want to look again through your earlier posts on this thread to refresh your memory as to what your "only observation" was.. or rather, was not. I don't think you're that forgetful. Often times it is convenient to "forget" in order to skirt accountability for the things that have been blurted without thought.

Cays is able to apologize for his biases, I doubt you can.

SM,

Of course I did.........not easy to see a good review of an Audi model from you u know......kekeke:)

Shaun;248672 said:
You don't understand that suggesting people are hypocrites and asking them to look in the mirror, when they've not made declarations anywhere near as silly as yours, only shows your... well you know...... :laughlik:

People dolling up their cars or not viewing Evos as BMW equals, have varying reasons for doing/believing so - none of which, either individually or collectively, come close to what you've expressed regarding the Audi R8 and test drives.

You might want to look again through your earlier posts on this thread to refresh your memory as to what your "only observation" was.. or rather, was not. I don't think you're that forgetful. Often times it is convenient to "forget" in order to skirt accountability for the things that have been blurted without thought.

I apologise for your clear lack of depth and insight.. cant help it I guess when you spend most of your time building cars and not in the real world.

hmmm lets see what have I said..

I made an observation about test drives and the R8.. thats all.. anything wrong about that?

Why dont YOU take a read at the responses that I garnered.. (cays was a little jumpy which he admitted and if you READ my reply to him, its really a small issue.. so i shall leave cays out of this and deal with you)

someone else then posts about this "EGO" thing and singapore culture..

which led me to this post on "mirror" . Why?? because we are all the same people.. we love nice cars, we love sports cars, we love nice brands.. if not, why would we be buying fast BMWs and dolling them out? One should not remove the "ego" psyche from oneself...it is existent - everywhere.. including yourself.

My point was that we should not mention "ego" and "snob" when actually, all of us who partake in the pursuit of fast exotic cars probably would be viewed as such to others who do not take the route we take.

I dont wish to give you a lesson on life.. you will learn it yourself.. hopefully not the hard way.

in case no one has told you, you should read your posts before you post them.

Unless of course you do it by intention to incite displeasure.

i suggest you keep your lid

Shaun;248672 said:

I apologise for your clear lack of depth and insight.. cant help it I guess when you spend most of your time building cars and not in the real world.

hmmm lets see what have I said..

I made an observation about test drives and the R8.. thats all.. anything wrong about that?

Why dont YOU take a read at the responses that I garnered.. (cays was a little jumpy which he admitted and if you READ my reply to him, its really a small issue.. so i shall leave cays out of this and deal with you)

someone else then posts about this "EGO" thing and singapore culture..

which led me to this post on "mirror" . Why?? because we are all the same people.. we love nice cars, we love sports cars, we love nice brands.. if not, why would we be buying fast BMWs and dolling them out? One should not remove the "ego" psyche from oneself...it is existent - everywhere.. including yourself.

My point was that we should not mention "ego" and "snob" when actually, all of us who partake in the pursuit of fast exotic cars probably would be viewed as such to others who do not take the route we take.

I dont wish to give you a lesson on life.. you will learn it yourself.. hopefully not the hard way.

in case no one has told you, you should read your posts before you post them.

Unless of course you do it by intention to incite displeasure.

i suggest you keep your lid

Welbo;248673 said:
SM,

Of course I did.........not easy to see a good review of an Audi model from you u know......kekeke:)

heheh great...

seriously, audi is a very complete car...give it another good 5 of continuous solid cars and it will be a powerful brand.

ehh.. my first car was an audi hor! And i liked it very much okay! (but the brakes were horrid and it had only 4 gears..haha :lol2: )

see ya around..

axl;248694 said:
^ Not true... in fact Auto Union is credited with one of the first MR racecars way back in the 30s - Auto Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to mention the record streak at 24 Hours of Le Mans in the eponymous R8 and now R10. And who can forget the original Audi Quattro which made its indelible impact on rallying. :screwedu:

To view Audi, we must view Auto Union. Auto Union's history is incredible. And Audi's recent victories in ALMS and Le Mans, both in petrol and diesel, has been an unparalleled success. So Audi's racing credentials are superb, only that they didn't have a serious product to sell, just like Renault and F1 successes with nothing to sell.

The R8 is Audi's first serious product to reclaim the sales from their racing successes. The RS4 is a superb car though too heavy for my liking. But when I saw the 6 potters and big fat discs, my sperm come out I tell you. It's so special from the outside and inside, much unlike M and way nicer than Porsche's 400K+ efforts.

Shaun lives in a different world than us. In his world, statements are backed by engineering, and things go into a car for a reason. For me this is a better world. Though he deals with race cars, with a totally divergent family tree from street cars probably with the exception of Ferrari and Porsche, which are SLIGHTLY less divergent, he sees our country from an outsider point of view, and this view is much cherished too. For me, it's a reality check. Greatly treasured, it warms my heart to see him in these forums as his link to Singapore, and for me it's one of the links to reality.

But Audi's moves look good. Now if only they will start making light RWD cars instead of squandering so much aluminium on the R8 only to get 1.5 tons of car. I hardly know about aluminium construction, but if the new McLaren P11 can reach 1.25 tons (wet) with aluminium and steel construction, Audi has some way to go. But then, don't forget, the R8 is `relatively' cheap. Supercar or not, I don't care, but it sure gives me some shivers up my spine in anticipation of the drive and the chance to own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hgo909com
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back