Audi R8 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Audi R8 Testing

SMYUEN;248682 said:
I apologise for your clear lack of depth and insight.. cant help it I guess when you spend most of your time building cars and not in the real world.

It's funny when you think you can define supercar and rudely put down good cars that do not fit your definition. It is a narrow enough definition, so maybe after much work you might be able to. You far exceed that, though, when you attempt to define the real world and decide who is or is not in it. Here you display your supreme naivete in not realizing you cannot possibly carry this out because of the breadth and depth of all experiences the world encompasses and that your definition of life is closer to 1/1000000...00th of the whole. In other words, closer to.. "a pimple on the buttocks of Life".

Maybe you need to add to your label collection? How does 'pompous' sound?

You make totally wrong assumptions about my job too. You might want to try thinking before blurting trash.

hmmm lets see what have I said..
Yes let's see what you've said besides test drives...

"wannabe supercar"

"somewhat-enlarged-audi-TT"

"overpriced piece of alumimiun/space frame/black side patch it is"

I made an observation about test drives and the R8.. thats all.. anything wrong about that?
Above.

My point was that we should not mention "ego" and "snob" when actually, all of us who partake in the pursuit of fast exotic cars probably would be viewed as such to others who do not take the route we take.
I do not care about the ego argument. However, the difference between you, and the plain enthusiasts you describe, is that they don't illogically bash something, bring up a bunch of irrelevant arguments to obfuscate the issue, then conveniently forget what they've said and claim innocence.

I dont wish to give you a lesson on life.. you will learn it yourself.. hopefully not the hard way.
You couldn't give me a lesson on anything except maybe how to complain about all facets of life in Singapore.

in case no one has told you, you should read your posts before you post them.

Unless of course you do it by intention to incite displeasure.

i suggest you keep your lid
Eh! Relax lah.. accountability only what... why so serious? :D

Cays is a big enough man to admit his biases. I don't think SMYuen is.

caySman;248703 said:
To view Audi, we must view Auto Union. Auto Union's history is incredible. And Audi's recent victories in ALMS and Le Mans, both in petrol and diesel, has been an unparalleled success. So Audi's racing credentials are superb, only that they didn't have a serious product to sell, just like Renault and F1 successes with nothing to sell.

The R8 is Audi's first serious product to reclaim the sales from their racing successes. The RS4 is a superb car though too heavy for my liking. But when I saw the 6 potters and big fat discs, my sperm come out I tell you. It's so special from the outside and inside, much unlike M and way nicer than Porsche's 400K+ efforts.

Shaun lives in a different world than us. In his world, statements are backed by engineering, and things go into a car for a reason. For me this is a better world. Though he deals with race cars, with a totally divergent family tree from street cars probably with the exception of Ferrari and Porsche, which are SLIGHTLY less divergent, he sees our country from an outsider point of view, and this view is much cherished too. For me, it's a reality check. Greatly treasured, it warms my heart to see him in these forums as his link to Singapore, and for me it's one of the links to reality.

But Audi's moves look good. Now if only they will start making light RWD cars instead of squandering so much aluminium on the R8 only to get 1.5 tons of car. I hardly know about aluminium construction, but if the new McLaren P11 can reach 1.25 tons (wet) with aluminium and steel construction, Audi has some way to go. But then, don't forget, the R8 is `relatively' cheap. Supercar or not, I don't care, but it sure gives me some shivers up my spine in anticipation of the drive and the chance to own one.

Retrospective to your 3rd paragraph, i stand corrected on my 'EGO' thing and the Singapore culture. Most people residing outside Singapore or have lived outside Singapore is able to understand and fully comprehend by what I mean. True to every aspect, it represents reality.
'EGO' is not an inherent character in anyone by the expensive cars one drive. Its implied by others naturally by the cars you drive, but some appreciate it and some dont. Which is why there is such a thing called perception as different people have different views.

The RS4 is a superb car though too heavy for my liking. But when I saw the 6 potters and big fat discs

Need to correct u hor, it comes stock with 8 potter 365mm front BBK........;)

Welbo;248738 said:
Need to correct u hor, it comes stock with 8 potter 365mm front BBK........;)
oh my ... 8 potter stock! OK I admit I am not really serious about the RS4. Just looking at it my sperm come out, but I am not wanting it for myself. BUT it is sure damn impressive to look at!

Shaun;248706 said:
Cays is a big enough man to admit his biases. I don't think SMYuen is.

yes I am biased. Any problem with that? I simply think the audi R8 is a step in the correct direction.. but its needs to prove itself and develop into a car in the mould of say a 911.. Do you get it?

I dont care much about what you learn and I certainly wont argue with someone half the world away and with so much arrogance it stinks my face.

Why dont you come back to Singapore, have a chat with me over kopi, and lets see how much of the world you know..

I know very little actually... I would sure look forward to your majestic enlightening.

It's funny when you think you can define supercar and rudely put down good cars that do not fit your definition. It is a narrow enough definition, so maybe after much work you might be able to. You far exceed that, though, when you attempt to define the real world and decide who is or is not in it. Here you display your supreme naivete in not realizing you cannot possibly carry this out because of the breadth and depth of all experiences the world encompasses and that your definition of life is closer to 1/1000000...00th of the whole. In other words, closer to.. "a pimple on the buttocks of Life".

Maybe you need to add to your label collection? How does 'pompous' sound?

You make totally wrong assumptions about my job too. You might want to try thinking before blurting trash.

there you go... i got you... cant win the war of words, you plonk in more words and hey... wow pompous! Sounds great! you just learnt it from the thesarus? hee i learnt it when i was 5 years old...

Yes let's see what you've said besides test drives...

"wannabe supercar"

"somewhat-enlarged-audi-TT"

"overpriced piece of alumimiun/space frame/black side patch it is"

just what i needed... i was too lazy to retrace my posts.. and i knew someone like you would... SO, is there ANYTHING wrong with my perception of the car?? People can call my car a "koi fish", people call it "toad-like" , they say my rear lights look like "prelude".. but hey, i think thats PERFECTLY fine!!

We are all entitled to our own descriptions and interpretations.. any wrong??

Above.

I do not care about the ego argument. However, the difference between you, and the plain enthusiasts you describe, is that they don't illogically bash something, bring up a bunch of irrelevant arguments to obfuscate the issue, then conveniently forget what they've said and claim innocence.

Irrelevant to you, but not irrelevant to me.. get it young kid??

You couldn't give me a lesson on anything except maybe how to complain about all facets of life in Singapore.

Complain??? hahah why should i complain! i LOVE Singapore!! Well of course if you take my letters to the straits times as "complains" rather than constructive critisicsm, or you use that as a measure of me as a person (including my view on test drives and the R8), oh well, that is totally acceptable for someone as naive as you.. (thanks for reminding me of the word naive...i like it, especiallywhen used appropriately on someone like you)

Some one like you..... (beautiful song by the way... heard of it?)

Eh! Relax lah.. accountability only what... why so serious? :D

cut that precious crap...
]

Crufty Dusty;248700 said:
Not to mention the record streak at 24 Hours of Le Mans in the eponymous R8 and now R10. And who can forget the original Audi Quattro which made its indelible impact on rallying. :screwedu:

agreed... thats what i am saying.. for the engineering marvel that audi produces, they have yet to make real inroads in the realm of desirable cars.

the RS4 was a definite step in the right direction...

similarly the R8... but only time will tell.

Cheers dude

That the R8 does not have the pedigree of the 911 is utterly true. The 911 Cup and 911 RSR and the older RSRs and RS all of them homologation specials, have given a special shine to the 911 series.

Actually, this is very very rare though. The 599GTB Fiorano, the F430 (initially don't have), the McLaren F1, the F355, F360, 550, 575 (none until later), ALL the current Lambos, ALL the current Mercedes, ALL the current BMWs save the Z4 M Coupe, the Cayman, the Box, ALL the current Masers, don't have the same sheen as the 911, in that none of them (some until later) have any parts in common with the real racing thing, where Porsche 911 RS at least is almost the real thing. Almost means .,.. like 60% real thing?

And it's probably not such a great thing that the race car and the street car share the same everything, coz that would mean less optimization. Correct me if I'm wrong, Shaun, but don't the 911 RSR race cars have utterly no steering feel in that they have big fat electric motor just pump the steering servo, everything crude like hell, rear shoots out without big fat warning, exactly all the things we don't want in an enthusiasts' car? Because race driver don't need such things to do their job. What they need is HP, high rev performance, because they already know what is possible and what is not, so they don't need so much feedback.

In short, if anybody wants the CAR to be same pedigree as the race car, I think only the 911 liaoz. Else, we just go for what car which ACTUALLY drives best.

SMYUEN;248770 said:
yes I am biased. Any problem with that? I simply think the audi R8 is a step in the correct direction.. but its needs to prove itself and develop into a car in the mould of say a 911.. Do you get it?

SMYUEN;248775 said:
agreed... thats what i am saying.. for the engineering marvel that audi produces, they have yet to make real inroads in the realm of desirable cars.

Real inroads in the realm of desirable cars for who? Because for me, this R8 is now ultra desirable on basis of magazine reports by trusted journalists. After I drive I will know for sure.

caySman;248784 said:
Real inroads in the realm of desirable cars for who? Because for me, this R8 is now ultra desirable on basis of magazine reports by trusted journalists. After I drive I will know for sure.

like say a kid comes up to you and say "papa, my dream car is a Audi R8".. seems unlikely at this time and age dont you agree bro? or again maybe its just wooly dooly me

I would think a ferrari, a lambo or a porsche would be this "realm of desirable cars?"

:)

In the past kids read auto magazines then they tear out and stick on their walls. For me, also it's this game called TOP TRUMPS which I lusted over the Pininfarina Modulo and the Lambo Countach because 5K cc is highest.

Today's kids, all on video games. That's why they are so good, today some kid walked to me when parking and asked me to rev the engine, and he said Forza is best. He even asked me is my engine 3.8 litres (why, is the FM2 Cayman 3.8 litres??? Must be the C2S engine transplant then ... ) ...

That said, if the R8 is applied as a patch to FM2, and drives well, the kid will KNOW! And he will love it.

BTW my kid finally agreed to come into my car to ride (he doesn't like the new car smell) and at 2.5 years of age, he says that it `sounds like racing car' and I asked him `do you want this car?' and he says `I want turbo' (neighbour's LOUD Subaru STI with big fat exhaust). Well, he'll learn...

caySman;248794 said:
In the past kids read auto magazines then they tear out and stick on their walls. For me, also it's this game called TOP TRUMPS which I lusted over the Pininfarina Modulo and the Lambo Countach because 5K cc is highest.

Today's kids, all on video games. That's why they are so good, today some kid walked to me when parking and asked me to rev the engine, and he said Forza is best. He even asked me is my engine 3.8 litres (why, is the FM2 Cayman 3.8 litres??? Must be the C2S engine transplant then ... ) ...

That said, if the R8 is applied as a patch to FM2, and drives well, the kid will KNOW! And he will love it.

BTW my kid finally agreed to come into my car to ride (he doesn't like the new car smell) and at 2.5 years of age, he says that it `sounds like racing car' and I asked him `do you want this car?' and he says `I want turbo' (neighbour's LOUD Subaru STI with big fat exhaust). Well, he'll learn...
:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2: hey u know what? i own a white Cayman too..with 20" black rims..:screwedu:wanna see? i will post pics up soon..u will go-->:yikess::woowooo:hehee..

Uncle,can u rev the engine for me too?becos they say forza 2 sounds very real life..i need to compare..:lol2:btw..theres no C2S transplant engine for the Cayman..hahaha think he was just guessing..(like the "see if im right" game):yummie:
yea im waiting for the R8 to come for the next patch..cant wait to drive it..:cloud9::cloud9:
and lastly..i m both..i still collect car mags like crazy..u will see how many i got..:yikess:i have no where else to put em..:laughlik: and i play video games too:)

The, nissan GTR is in desirable realm or not ha. My son always say that that is his dream car wor. how ar ? need to tell him that ferrari or porsche or lambo only can call his dream car. Oh man !

Ok, since it's likely the folks at Premium will not even let me get within 3m of the R8 when it arrives, I've decided to test drive the R8 on my PS3 when GT5 is released. :)

eh Nick, get a PS3 lah.....Xbox cannot test drive R8 leh...

Thanks for the clarification and that’s a great way to express it, instead of the disrespectful ways before.

I dont care much about what you learn and I certainly wont argue with someone half the world away and with so much arrogance it stinks my face.
I’ve never believed you should care what I learn. Remember that the arrogant statements were made first by you on this thread. Is anyone who points out your arrogance, arrogant too?

Why dont you come back to Singapore, have a chat with me over kopi, and lets see how much of the world you know..
Meeting for the purpose of an antagonistic test is pointless. I don’t seek to teach you anything about the world anyway. Most people, unlike you, do not publicly claim to know what the real world is and declare who operates inside or outside of it. They also hardly make offers to teach people about life. They may have their views, but they do realize they are a subjective grain of sand (humility) and so cannot rightly use them against others with any confidence. This is exactly where you have shown your greatest arrogance, greatest naivete.

Please remember that it was you who decided and declared that I did not operate in the “real world”.

I know very little actually... I would sure look forward to your majestic enlightening.
The fact that you think you are qualified to teach others about the real world and about life, does not mean others feel the same way. Not everyone has such overconfidence in self.

there you go... i got you... cant win the war of words, you plonk in more words and hey... wow pompous! Sounds great! you just learnt it from the thesarus? hee i learnt it when i was 5 years old...
I’m not sure why you see this as a war of words, rather than a comparison of logic. Here you reveal only more arrogance by suggesting that while others can only learn certain words out of thesaurus (it is spelt with a ‘u’ by the way) in their twenties, you have already learnt them at age 5. What makes you so special?

just what i needed... i was too lazy to retrace my posts.. and i knew someone like you would... SO, is there ANYTHING wrong with my perception of the car?? We are all entitled to our own descriptions and interpretations.. any wrong??
There are no laws preventing anyone from saying almost anything, as long it’s not seditious, religiously or racially intolerant, etc. So you have a right to speak arrogantly, illogically, etc. but others are also free to discuss your arrogance and illogic, not to mention plain erroneous claims. What else is being addressed here is your convenient forgetting (you claim it is laziness to retrieve) the silly things you’ve said. If people have no regard for accountability, then there is no point in structured discussion, and forum purpose is lessened.

There is no law preventing you from doing something as insensitive and stupid as stopping on a street and pointing and laughing at a disabled old man trying to make his way around, but you should prepare to catch hell if anyone sees you doing so.

Irrelevant to you, but not irrelevant to me.. get it young kid??
Let’s not descend into name calling. In your great wisdom and knowledge of what Life and The Real World are, have you not realized that name calling goes no where? Please doc, you’re scaring me :D

cut that precious crap...
Eh... go rinse your mouth out with some saline solution or alcohol, and then take a chill pill.

======================

Cays,

I can’t speak on the RSR steering feel and effort since I have never worked on those cars or discussed that specific topic with the usual ALMS Porsche guys. I can ask when I next see them though.

However, from direct experience with Indycars as well as from discussion with drivers, engineers, crew chiefs, team owners, and technical directors (for teams as well as team chassis suppliers) with experience ranging from F1 to LMP to Trans Am GT, Daytona Prototypes, Champ Car, GTP, etc. I can say that the better drivers where required will always drive more with what they feel from their body in the seat, and visually though it is more difficult to do. Some cars react so quickly that driven pure closed loop (driver senses events and reacts to them, not experience based) cannot even be caught once visual has come in that slip angles are too large. The poorest drivers rely the most on steering feel to drive quick since that is the easiest to perceive.

It is not at all uncommon to arrive at a setup that drives great but that has too little steering feel or too light or heavy a steering effort (say maximizing straightway speeds by trimming out front wing, and making it up for it by using as much caster (steering effort raised) as the driver can tolerate to jack weight to the inside front and outside rear tire to get the car to turn with good front end grip)

Adjustable power steering is a great advantage in that you can tailor is to where the driver can comfortably complete the race distance and secondarily, keep some feel and not go too light or limited adjustment steps messing around with a finite number of progressive rack or pinion tooth, plain pinion tooth, ackerman plate length, or even steering wheel diameter options.

Recently I spoke to a well-known local racer who just tested a GT3, a GT3 cup and a GT3 RSR back to back. what he told me (and i paraphrase) is that contrary to logic, even though the cup car seemed so much more focused than the gt3, when compared to the rsr, the latter was so much easier to handle and feel, and the comfort level is amazing in this car (which is utterly crucial in endurance racing), and makes the cup car almost crude.

well some of our fortunate friends have owned these 3 cars back to back, and would be in the best position to feedback.

anyways it's true that with a quick setup, very often if you attempt to drive closed loop it's too late. The moment the rear starts to give way, stand on the brakes and hope for the best. countersteering counts for nothing.

That makes perfect sense in light of their different applications - sprint vs endurance. Some qualifying setups are barely drivable (awesome drivers at that) beyond 2 hot laps. Once you are close to maxing out a setup in terms of speed, every unit of comfort you work into the car will cost some of that speed.

Re: closed loop driving.. I meant more the lag time and the fine differntiation required in using visual inputs at the limit, vs the quicker and easier to differentiate change in driver's body acceleration and change in steering wheel torque. The cars that are difficult to catch are the ones with very high natural frequencies which is made up mostly of upper tier open wheelers and others like LMP, etc which are much higher aero, lower mass, low yaw MOI, and run at much lower slip angles vs full weight racecars like GT cars (closest to being exceptions probably the SGTs). All this is slightly different from as much rearward brake bias as a driver can tolerate, which is pretty much standard across all race cars in the interest of best decel, but which also leads to very quick breakaway once rear grip has been broken under even a modest amount of lateral accel.

nicholastan91;248898 said:
:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2: hey u know what? i own a white Cayman too..with 20" black rims..:screwedu:wanna see? i will post pics up soon..u will go-->:yikess::woowooo:hehee..

Uncle,can u rev the engine for me too?becos they say forza 2 sounds very real life..i need to compare..:lol2:btw..theres no C2S transplant engine for the Cayman..hahaha think he was just guessing..(like the "see if im right" game):yummie:
yea im waiting for the R8 to come for the next patch..cant wait to drive it..:cloud9::cloud9:
and lastly..i m both..i still collect car mags like crazy..u will see how many i got..:yikess:i have no where else to put em..:laughlik: and i play video games too:)
err .. nick. ... i consider you a super kid where cars are concerned. That kid was like pre-teens boy. And The depth of your petrolheadism WAY surpass my knowledge as a kid, and when most of the kids your age are into facebook shit and computer hardware, you're learning the best and worst things about humanity in these forums PLUS some car knowledge.

And I'm not so unker really, I hope! And you CANNOT fight me in car magazines coz unker got more money of his own than you. I got like 1/8 container load, beat that (I realised when I shifted house) and unker buying car mags since before you born. Unker even got model engines, real gearboxes, model gearboxes, and a few Lego technik cars. BUT I know if nothing bad happen to you in terms of psyche, when you're my age you will win for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeconexcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back